IGNORED

Erin & Chad 5: I’m Thoroughly Defrauded by Chad’s Attire

HerNameIsBuffy

The nutritious food options will disappear after another baby or two. It will be replaced by easy to fix processed food. Only we won't know that, because the spotlight on Erin's cooking will go away.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

37 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Erin seems to have a lot of very fond memories of her childhood. I honestly think she doesn’t see much wrong with how she was raised, except maybe the lack of nutritious food options. It doesn’t surprise me that they’ll continue shoving kids into that one room.

That’s what’s always so amazing to me. We’ve seen from Cynthia Jeub that she sees her childhood very differently from some of her siblings. A parent could be abusive to all their children and one kid will act like it was no big deal and they had a great childhood while another talks about living in hell. Erin obviously thinks her childhood was fine but I bet Alyssa sees things a little differently. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly don’t get it. Erin knows what it’s like to be squished into a room with a bunch of siblings. Does she just say to herself, “well I survived and they can too!” It just always amazes me when kids all in the same family of disfunction come out of it completely differently. There will be Bates children who will refuse to cramp and crowd their children into a tiny room and others who will do it happily. 

Four children in one room is too many. I just can't even accept that somebody would think this is appropriate. If she puts a fifth child in that room next year I'm going to scream.

BEC Comment - Changing Carson to "CARS" on the decor is dumb.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

9 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

The nutritious food options will disappear after another baby or two. It will be replaced by easy to fix processed food. Only we won't know that, because the spotlight on Erin's cooking will go away.

Erin has posted some nice recipes but we don't know what they eat on a daily basis. Probably not those awful poor man pizza, but healthy cooking takes time and Erin has 3 little kids and is pregnant, so I bet they eat processed a lot. 

Even Alyssa, who was the most interested in healthy food and posted Allie eating veggies several times, is eating often at Mcdonalds and feeding her baby Zoey those crappy fries.

About the spotless home, I really doubt it's always like that. If I was going to post my home in IG, I would hide the toys and send the kids to gradma's, then fake a perfect home and take pictures. Next day, a mess again haha.

• Upvote 7

25 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Erin has posted some nice recipes but we don't know what they eat on a daily basis. Probably not those awful poor man pizza, but healthy cooking takes time and Erin has 3 little kids and is pregnant, so I bet they eat processed a lot. 

Even Alyssa, who was the most interested in healthy food and posted Allie eating veggies several times, is eating often at Mcdonalds and feeding her baby Zoey those crappy fries.

About the spotless home, I really doubt it's always like that. If I was going to post my home in IG, I would hide the toys and send the kids to gradma's, then fake a perfect home and take pictures. Next day, a mess again haha.

The food could be like the home - she is deliberate about posting the right recipes, but for all we know they do stuff like poor man's pizza too.

Also, I'm not judging the poor man's pizza anymore because sometimes I struggle to get my 2 year old to eat and get desperate and make him a cheese sandwich and tell him it's pizza to get him to eat. At the same time, im revolted at the idea of introducing such little kids to McDonald's, it ensures an addiction to junk food.

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

McDonald’s happy meals aren’t as bad as they were when we were kids. But I still hate them and of course my kids love them. All kids seem to love them. It’s probably the toy. My kids never even finish the fries. 

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Erin seems to have a lot of very fond memories of her childhood. I honestly think she doesn’t see much wrong with how she was raised, except maybe the lack of nutritious food options. It doesn’t surprise me that they’ll continue shoving kids into that one room.

I think the distribution of work among the older girls of the Bates family wasn't exactly even or just. Where Michaela was potty training and basically mom for all the kids under a certain age and Alyssa and Michaela seemed to split the cooking duties, Erin was always portrayed in the news articles and television appearances as the daughter who taught piano lessons and was given time to concentrate on her music. When the Duggar episodes and United Bates of America showed the family deciding who would do what chore, she was noticeably off the list for the jobs like cleaning bathrooms, kitchen duty, etc. While teaching music to rowdy children isn't easy, she wasn't stuck with grunt work like the sisters around her own age.  

I think that might have colored her view of her childhood years a bit. As I've said, my mother was the oldest of a large group of children. Her memories and experiences are very different than her other siblings. She loves and cares about them, but there is a different vibe than say her sister who was the fourth born. That sister remembers late nights whispering and playing after lights out and cramming into the family car (when they had one) for road trips to go camping. My mother remembers having to pack everyone's stuff, shop for food (without enough money), water down the cans of soup to make them stretch, missing school to care for a sick sibling and then more school when she got sick from it too, and running the household while my grandmother was at the hospital having another baby. 

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

The food could be like the home - she is deliberate about posting the right recipes, but for all we know they do stuff like poor man's pizza too.

Also, I'm not judging the poor man's pizza anymore because sometimes I struggle to get my 2 year old to eat and get desperate and make him a cheese sandwich and tell him it's pizza to get him to eat. At the same time, im revolted at the idea of introducing such little kids to McDonald's, it ensures an addiction to junk food.

When my nephew was little like 2-3, he didn't want to eat anything that wasn't chicken. So we proceeded to tell him everything was chicken. For like 2 years everything that kid ate was "chicken".

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

McDonald’s happy meals aren’t as bad as they were when we were kids. But I still hate them and of course my kids love them. All kids seem to love them. It’s probably the toy. My kids never even finish the fries. 

I will happily eat all their fries. McDonald's fries are a not-so-secret pleasure of mine. Come @ me, FJ food snobs!! : )

• Upvote 15
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 11

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

When my nephew was little like 2-3, he didn't want to eat anything that wasn't chicken. So we proceeded to tell him everything was chicken. For like 2 years everything that kid ate was "chicken".

We do the same thing for meats! Except steak and bacon, he loves both of those.

I have no doubt my child would love McDonald's if I allowed it - its filled with delicious carbs and sodium and sugar and the free toy too. My not allowing my kid to have it isn't about being a snob (which isnt any less rude a thing to say as my hate of junk food), it's about following basic nutritional advice. Our pediatrician discourages letting toddlers have stuff like soda, candy, high-fat or high-fructose foods except for rare special occasions. I have friends stricter than me, with vegan gluten-free toddlers. Our bacon and Mac and cheese is probably revolting to them!

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

29 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I will happily eat all their fries. McDonald's fries are a not-so-secret pleasure of mine. Come @ me, FJ food snobs!! : )

I dip my McD fries in mustard and like to order vanilla ice cream and coke, make my own coke float. The best comfort food for me. ?

• Upvote 5

54 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I honestly think they are the worst fast food fries in existence. I would rather eat any other fast food fry! Wendy’s and Arby’s have decent fries. They are about a million times better than McDonald’s. The only thing I like from McDonald’s is a McFlurry. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly think they are the worst fast food fries in existence. I would rather eat any other fast food fry! Wendy’s and Arby’s have decent fries. They are about a million times better than McDonald’s. The only thing I like from McDonald’s is a McFlurry. 

McDonalds fries aren’t great quality (like for example hand cut Belgien fries...) but those hot, salty and very fatty fries give me comfort from time to time. And they are perfect when you are drunk or hungover.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Me? Arby's cheddar roast beef and curly fries. Best fast food ever. I could eat that every day.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

Me? Arby's cheddar roast beef and curly fries. Best fast food ever. I could eat that every day.

Yum! With horsey sauce!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Same!! I dip mine in mayo and always get nuggets to go with them. McDonald’s was my first fast food as a toddler and I’ve loved them ever since. However, I was one of those kids whose parents put soda in their bottle so I’m probably not be best role model when it comes to child nutrition ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Speaking of McDonald's...that's what we had for dinner tonight b/c that's what Mr. Xtian wanted. Look, I know it's shit food, but when your 113lb husband decides he wants something to eat, you move heaven and earth to get it. Right now it's not really about nutrition it's all about how many calories per day we can get in him. Unfortunately, he didn't eat much. 

We DID get the swelling in his feet and legs down by making him eat a high protein diet for awhile. His serum albumen was low and that is what was causing the swelling. So, for a couple of weeks, all he ate was eggs and cheese and some sort of meat (when he could get it down) along with high protein smoothies/shakes. It worked. 

Kid and I tend to eat healthier than Mr. Xtian right now, but for him it's all about calories/protein. I now have to find a way to get him to drink more water. He's usually pretty dehydrated...tomorrow he'll get a liter of fluids before chemo, so that is good but in between, it's a struggle. Me and the kid kill a 32 pack of bottled water (we recycle) in just a few days. I'm one of those weirdos who leaves the house with no less than 3 bottles. One for now, one for later and one for if I get stuck in traffic (then I need to find someplace to pee). 

My comfort food is those horrid Monterrey frozen chimichangas or burritos smothered in queso blanco. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 23

@feministxtian at this stage any food Mr feminisxtian can tolerate is good food, and any meal you can eat together is even better.

I had a 3am ice cream party with my mother during the last weeks of her illness. I had left her at the hospital for the first time since she was diagnosed and was home for about 20 minutes when she rang to say she fancied some ice cream. She hadn't really eaten anything in days, she had no concept of time thanks to the brain tumours and I was so delighted that she had any sort of appetite that I chucked a hoody on over my PJs, filled a freezer bag with every type of ice cream I could find and bolted to the hospital.

We ate ice cream and talked and laughed for 2 hours, I still remember melted ice-cream dripping from the cone onto her hand and wiping them for her. It is a very treasured happy memory from a very difficult time.

My point being, sometimes it's our soul not just our bodies that are nourished by food, so the nutritional value isn't always the only value that needs considered.

For what it's worth, it sounds like you are doing an amazing job x

• Upvote 3
  • Love 41

15 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I loved Arby’s when I was younger and I think it sucks now. Not sure if they changed or I did. Probably a little of both.

16 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Same!! I dip mine in mayo and always get nuggets to go with them. McDonald’s was my first fast food as a toddler and I’ve loved them ever since. However, I was one of those kids whose parents put soda in their bottle so I’m probably not be best role model when it comes to child nutrition ?

I wasn’t allowed much pop as a kid but I drank SO MUCH koolaid! And when I was old enough to make the koolaid myself, I always added more sugar than the recipe called for. It was grossly sweet and I loved it ?

I just remembered how much I loved sunny delight as a kid. I drank so much of that sugary juice!

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 1

Just a cultural aside here: in the 60s/early 70s Arby's had ONLY male workers. They sold 2 sizes of RB sandwiches (no cheese,) potato cakes and turnovers, soft drinks and shakes, including jamocha. That was it, always prepared and served by men wearing yellow Sgt. Pepper-like jackets and tall chef-type hats. And if not preparing food or serving food, the robot-men (always two, never one or three) stood in a soldier stance behind the front counter. Had it not been for their jamocha shakes, not available anywhere else, I would have protested the man-culture. The jamocha shakes of today are not at all the same.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2

8 hours ago, Ais said:

@feministxtian at this stage any food Mr feminisxtian can tolerate is good food, and any meal you can eat together is even better.

I had a 3am ice cream party with my mother during the last weeks of her illness. I had left her at the hospital for the first time since she was diagnosed and was home for about 20 minutes when she rang to say she fancied some ice cream. She hadn't really eaten anything in days, she had no concept of time thanks to the brain tumours and I was so delighted that she had any sort of appetite that I chucked a hoody on over my PJs, filled a freezer bag with every type of ice cream I could find and bolted to the hospital.

We ate ice cream and talked and laughed for 2 hours, I still remember melted ice-cream dripping from the cone onto her hand and wiping them for her. It is a very treasured happy memory from a very difficult time.

My point being, sometimes it's our soul not just our bodies that are nourished by food, so the nutritional value isn't always the only value that needs considered.

For what it's worth, it sounds like you are doing an amazing job x

That is the sweetest and cutest story I’ve heard all day. I’m glad you have such a wonderful memory of your mom to look back on now. :) 

@feministxtian I’m all in favor of getting your husband whatever he wants right now. The most important thing is that he’s eating something. Just be sure you’re doing whatever you need to do to take care of yourself too. I’ve never been a caretaker before, but I’ve heard how demanding and draining it can be. If you have time to take care of your wants and needs then take it and don’t feel badly about it. You can’t take care of anyone else if you aren’t making yourself a priority too. 

Best wishes, lots of love to you and your family, and a big ole fuck you to cancer! :romance-caress:

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

On 8/14/2019 at 2:53 AM, DancingPhalanges said:

I dip my McD fries in mustard and like to order vanilla ice cream and coke, make my own coke float. The best comfort food for me. ?

Australia sells coke and raspberry slurpies with icecream in them at our Maccas. Our floats are called Spiders. They are usually made with soft drink (soda) though. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/13/2019 at 6:53 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Erin recently posted an insta story about how she addresses the mess. Toy storage and letting them play with a few things at a time. Thoguh I am sure there is also selective posting going on. I recently shared house pics and made sure to take them when it was very clean. Small spaces are also easier to keep clean. Mess spreads. 

as for the room situation, my husband shared a room with two brothers and two cousins and sees nothing wrong with it and thinks it’s ridiculous our children would want their own room. So it is possible Erin is similar. As an only child though, the idea of 4 kids in one small room makes me cringe.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:07 AM, freethemall said:

My kids eat McDonald’s once s week because it is next to the gym where they take swimming lessons and after I get 3 kids in and out of a pool, I am not going home and making dinner. 

But i cook the rest of the meals. I grow my own veggies, I make a lot of healthy snacks. I make food choices just like any parent and I choose to give them McDonald’s to save my own sanity and refuse to believe that I am introducing them to a junk food addiction.

• Upvote 21
  • Love 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic