IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

My barnacle didn’t sleep through the night until he was 2 years old. I was so sleep deprived I hallucinated. It’s a good thing I rarely drove anywhere in those days. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 11

My daughter thinks it's torture to sleep in her bassinet or crib. After falling asleep every night for a week on the couch with her and killing myself with guilt and worry about it, we started accidentally bed sharing. This works for us for now but when she is a few weeks older I'm going to need to use some tough love. It has been insanely easy compared to sitting up all night with coffee and getting 45 minutes of guilty sleep. 6 weeks ago me would have been horrified at that choice, but being a loving and attentive mom necessitated letting go of one of the few things I thought I was sure about. I read the studies and made the bed as safe as possible for her, avoid risk-increasing behaviors like smoking or sleep aids, and enjoy the snuggles and easier breastfeeding.

I would agree that doing research is important because the recommendations are there for a reason but there is no one size fits all.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 11

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My barnacle didn’t sleep through the night until he was 2 years old. I was so sleep deprived I hallucinated. It’s a good thing I rarely drove anywhere in those days. 

been there. I was on the phone with my sister once at like 8p and fell asleep while talking to her. 
Kiddo stopped a night time feed around a year or so - but still gets up in the middle of the night looking for a human being to jam himself up against

• Love 12

18 minutes ago, Meggo said:

but still gets up in the middle of the night looking for a human being to jam himself up against

I still do that, too!  :) 

• Haha 13
  • I Agree 1

30 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I still do that, too!  :) 

Me too! My husband only tolerates it during winter; in the summer he builds a pillow wall between us so I don't get too close.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 17

50 minutes ago, Meggo said:

been there. I was on the phone with my sister once at like 8p and fell asleep while talking to her. 
Kiddo stopped a night time feed around a year or so - but still gets up in the middle of the night looking for a human being to jam himself up against

Yes, that’s him! It is really hard for me because I need space. I have a larger personal space bubble than most people. That kid is all over me. I can’t tell you how many times he’s said just in the last week, “mommy, I love hugging you because you’re so warm!” He told me I was like the heater. I’m fat and hot blooded so I run very warm and he loves it. He’s like our cat hogging the heating vent. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 9

Mum of an 18 month old barnacle here! Good to know I have a good few years of this little sleep thief appearing in my bed in the early hours..! (Don’t tell my husband but I secretly love it, and he won’t be doing this when he’s 16 right??) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Alysabeth said:

Mum of an 18 month old barnacle here! Good to know I have a good few years of this little sleep thief appearing in my bed in the early hours..! (Don’t tell my husband but I secretly love it, and he won’t be doing this when he’s 16 right??) 

That's what I keep telling myself? 

• Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Meggo said:

That's what I keep telling myself? 

My husband and I always joke that ours will never move out. He’s only 6 but I could see him living in our basement forever ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

Both my 6 and 3 year olds still wake at night. 2 barnacles. No end in sight. ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

If my daughter grows into a full time barnacle past nursing, we're getting a king size bed. We are both very cuddly people and she's probably going to be welcome as long as she likes.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 8

Barnacle #1 slept alone early. Barnacle #2 did NOT. I had just gone back to work and was EXHAUSTED. Around 18 mos I tried an experiment and left her in the queen sized bed with her 4 year old sister after storytime. The problem was solved?! When the youngest was 4-5 we tried to move #2 into her own bed and room. The were both unhappy with that situation.

The sisters made one room a playroom with a daybed and stayed in the queen-sized bed until the oldest was 10.  ? I have no regrets. They're adults now,  extremely close, and supportive of each other. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 11

My 8 year old still sneaks into our bed at least 1-2 nights a week. She loves to know somebody is nearby! She shares a room with the other two kids, but apparently that’s not enough closeness, haha. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

It’s funny that I was a barnacle as a kid because I’m now the opposite. I love being alone and I need so much personal space. My sister has always needed tons of space. When we were kids, she would be sitting on one side of the couch and I would be sitting all the way on the other side. She would look at me and say, “why do you have to sit so close?” 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

I read this briefly yesterday. I think I jinxed it because last night, for the first time since we had DD 4 months ago, my DS who is 4.5 climbed into our bed and said he wanted to "live here forever". Ummmmm, no ya don't, kiddo.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

Last night my 6 year old was taking about the house he was going to have when he grew up. He said his house will be for him and mommy. And the house next door will be for daddy and brother. My husband immediately said he knew that’s how the arrangement would be ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Last night my 6 year old was taking about the house he was going to have when he grew up. He said his house will be for him and mommy. And the house next door will be for daddy and brother. My husband immediately said he knew that’s how the arrangement would be ?

I have the same anecdote! I think your youngest and my youngest are very similar kids. Exhausting but sooo charming boys!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

My 8 year old niece told me that when she is 28 she is going to have a mansion and I can live with her. Kids are so silly sometimes, I can't help laughing. 

• Upvote 6

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Not quite the same, but my dad is allergic to all pets. However, when I was about 5 and my brother was 10, we convinced him to let us get a guinea pig. We PROMISED that we would be the ones to take care of it.....which did not happen. After a little while, my dad needed to rehome the guinea pig (he found a perfectly great family!) but when my dad told me the bad news, I told my dad that there was a house for sale a few doors down, and if he moved there I could keep my guinea pig AND I could still see my dad everyday! 

I'm 31 and my dad still holds this over my head anytime he has the opportunity to.

• Haha 15
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, Travlr98 said:

My 8 year old niece told me that when she is 28 she is going to have a mansion and I can live with her. Kids are so silly sometimes, I can't help laughing. 

My sister was convinced when we were kids that she would grow up to own a mansion and would be driven everywhere in a limo. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

My son keeps asking who the man is who goes around turning off all the streetlights at night and if he does it all by himself or he has helpers.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

6 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

My son keeps asking who the man is who goes around turning off all the streetlights at night and if he does it all by himself or he has helpers.

I used to think there was a little man inside traffic lights controlling them. As silly as these examples are, I feel like it actually shows some creative thinking ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I used to think there was a little man inside traffic lights controlling them. As silly as these examples are, I feel like it actually shows some creative thinking ?

Speaking of ideas only children get, I used to think that airplanes wouldn’t land but that people had to board by climbing up a very very long ladder. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

I guess I listened a little too carefully to the pastor as a preschooler, because I thought the church held the offering until someone died, then it would go in the casket to go to God.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic