IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

My son's fifth-grade class has a Jayden (who is a horrible child who has tormented everyone from day one, FWIW).  There are some truly awful girl names in my town also.  Braylee (heehaw!), Aileigh, Caisley, Ryeli, Mylee, Aleah...

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

My son's fifth-grade class has a Jayden (who is a horrible child who has tormented everyone from day one, FWIW).  There are some truly awful girl names in my town also.  Braylee (heehaw!), Aileigh, Caisley, Ryeli, Mylee, Aleah...

Any chance you live in Utah?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

Me at 16: Kiara
Me now: Joanna Joy (JJ for short... after my grandmothers, and the Criminal Minds character ?)

So far, Fallon has been the most interesting name I've come across.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

There are some truly awful girl names in my town also.  Braylee (heehaw!), Aileigh, Caisley, Ryeli, Mylee, Aleah...

I'm always astonished by the US creative names. In my country (and many other countries I think), names cannot be invented or their spelling changed. I don't know which point of view is correct, probably both are fine. Obviously, there is no ethical reason for that names cannot be invented, so to each their own. Definitely, I have to work in acceptance of cultural differences, and I feel guilty because I find those kreative names not very respectful for the children, as if parents were naming a doll or a pet. I have the same feeling with cutesy names as full names, as if parents didn't realise their little babies will soon be grown people. But again, probably I reject it just because it's a foreigner idea to me.

Maybe in Bates town, all the kids are named like Whitney's children? I mean, we are saying their names sound tacky or whatever, but I wonder if the names are usual there, and the weird ones would be classical names as Emma or John (Ehmmah or Jhônn). I'm sure that Whitney takes decisions solely based in being accepted, so if she lived in a typical-names town, their children names would have common spellings for sure.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling, as usual!
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

15 hours ago, Angelface said:

In terms of making the spelling of the child’s name more obvious, they could have chosen “Jason” which is very similar (imo) to Jayden but has a single spelling option. 

I don't think they're similar at all. Jayden is a recently made up name from about 25 years ago, and became very trendy about 15 years ago. It feels a bit dated to me for that reason, but it seems it's still popular. 

Jason is 3000 years old and from a hero in classical mythology. It was really popular in the 80s and so I doubt many people are using it now, just like no one is naming their kids Jennifer. It also doesn't have the lower-class association that Jayden has (and that a lot of newer/creative names have). 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

I don't think they're similar at all. 

I should have explained that I think that the two names sound similar not that they derive from similar sources. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm always astonished by the US creative names. 

This is small-town Canada, though.  We have shipper names, which I think is truly terrible.  Marcia + Larry = Malarrie.  Or variants like Mom: Alicia, baby: Aicala (not sure if it's ace-a-la or ache-a-la, either way...)  Dad: Bryan, baby: Bryar.    

I'll admit some of the names can sound cute when you picture them on a two-year-old with pigtails.  Not so cute when they're grownups trying to have jobs.  Sorry, not sorry.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 2

I worked with someone who named her son Jaydon (spelled that way).  She told me it meant "God has heard" and she had undergone multiple fertility tests and procedures to have her two children.    She is not fundie; she is a practicing Catholic.

And she's correct on the name meaning:

https://www.thenamemeaning.com/jayden/#:~:text=Jayden%20Name%20Meaning%20The%20meaning%20of%20Jayden%20is,you%20choose%20doesn%E2%80%99t%20mean%20something%20bad%20or%20unpleasant.

Maybe that's why Zach and Whitney chose it.  

• Upvote 1

While we are talking about names, former baseball shortstop Nomar Garciaparra comes to mind. His dad was named Ramon and they just reversed it.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

While we are talking about names, former baseball shortstop Nomar Garciaparra comes to mind. His dad was named Ramon and they just reversed it.

I was a long term sub in a first grade classroom and had a cute little firecracker named Semaj. Several years later, I think from someone’s comment on FJ, I realized that this was James reversed. Never thought about it at the time!

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Maybe in Bates town, all the kids are named like Whitney's children? I mean, we are saying their names sound tacky or whatever, but I wonder if the names are usual there, and the weird ones would be classical names as Emma or John (Ehmmah or Jhônn). I'm sure that Whitney takes decisions solely based in being accepted, so if she lived in a typical-names town, their children names would have common spellings for sure.

I am not so sure that Whitney makes her decisions based on her children being accepted. If that were the case, why would she give them names that they are going have to repeatedly spell over and over again, throughout their lives? ("It's Khloe with a K, plus a little accent. . . ")

People do this because they want to be different. They want to choose a name that no one else has. They want people to say, "Oh, what a cool name." They are trying to be "special" at the cost to their kid. They aren't thinking about their child at 12, meeting a new friend--or at 25, having to spell their name every time they sign up for something or are making a call to customer service.

I really don't think Gwenyth Paltrow was acting in her daughter's best interest when she named her Apple. But she got herself lots of attention for it. I'm guessing Gwenyth assumed she'd always be a celebrity, so everyone will automatically know her daughter's name, and no one would make fun of the child. I hope that's true. I can't imagine being in 7th grade with a name like Apple.

Zach and Whitney live in rural or suburban Tennessee. It seems unlikely that is a hotspot for wacky names.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2021 at 12:02 PM, lumpentheologie said:

I really thought they were doing an 'ee' ending theme 

Someone upthread said Whitney’s father goes by JC. Maybe Jaydon Carl will actually be a JC, in which case keeps the “ee” sound at the end. Kaci and JC is pretty bad, though. 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I am not so sure that Whitney makes her decisions based on her children being accepted. If that were the case, why would she give them names that they are going have to repeatedly spell over and over again, throughout their lives? ("It's Khloe with a K, plus a little accent. . . ")

People do this because they want to be different. They want to choose a name that no one else has. They want people to say, "Oh, what a cool name." They are trying to be "special" at the cost to their kid. They aren't thinking about their child at 12, meeting a new friend--or at 25, having to spell their name every time they sign up for something or are making a call to customer service.

I really don't think Gwenyth Paltrow was acting in her daughter's best interest when she named her Apple. But she got herself lots of attention for it. I'm guessing Gwenyth assumed she'd always be a celebrity, so everyone will automatically know her daughter's name, and no one would make fun of the child. I hope that's true. I can't imagine being in 7th grade with a name like Apple.

Zach and Whitney live in rural or suburban Tennessee. It seems unlikely that is a hotspot for wacky names.

But her names aren't even wacky, Bradleys a pretty classic name and Khloe isn't an unusual spelling since it's how Khloe Kardashian Spells it and I actually prefer it over Chloe, and Jayden, for what I know, is usually spelled that, it will be Kaci that will have explain her name, which can get annoying because my name is spelled the more unusual version than its original version, but over time u get over it. But I will say that she did kind of go for boring names like Alyssa did, there are plenty of names that are still original, but not weird. I wish both the Duggars and the bates would go for more of those types of names instead of boring names like "Maci" or unusual and maybe a form of child abuse "Spurgeon"

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I never don't have to spell out both my names and it's just.... not a big deal. I love my name and would never choose being idk, Emily Smith* and not having to spell it out. I get honestly so many compliments. I wasn't ever bullied for my name beyond some extremely minor teasing from friends. 

Probably some of the extreme creative spelling does make things unnecessarily difficult for children but I think Zach and Whitney's kids are very far from that. Obviously my personal favourite "made up" name is Wendy, and honestly, how boring if we never ever get to use any new names at all. Sure, 99/100 might be terrible, but the problem there is that they're terrible, not that nobody ever should get to make up new names. 

(*I only picked Emily here because I have multiple friends my age named Emily, not because it's anything other than a lovely name)

• Upvote 6

I had a really pretty Guinea pig in 7th grade that I named Kaci. Same spelling. And I thought I was so creative and cool! ? Just had to share. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

12 hours ago, raayx01 said:

But her names aren't even wacky, Bradleys a pretty classic name and Khloe isn't an unusual spelling since it's how Khloe Kardashian Spells it and I actually prefer it over Chloe, and Jayden, for what I know, is usually spelled that, it will be Kaci that will have explain her name, which can get annoying because my name is spelled the more unusual version than its original version, but over time u get over it. But I will say that she did kind of go for boring names like Alyssa did, there are plenty of names that are still original, but not weird. I wish both the Duggars and the bates would go for more of those types of names instead of boring names like "Maci" or unusual and maybe a form of child abuse "Spurgeon"

No matter what Khloe Kardashian does, it's still an unusual spelling. Lots of people don't even really know who the Kardashians are (myself included). I am pretty sure that people's first reaction would be to spell Khloe with a C.

• Upvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 3

Khloe with a K is less common and not unusual. Khloe was the 137th most popular name for girls in 2019.  A really uncommon name/spelling wouldn't even be ranked. 

I agree Kaci is the most difficult. 

My name is traditional, but there are different spellings. 

At this point, everyone should expect to spell their names for people. There is no name that the spelling is universally agreed upon. Anna or Ana? John or Jon? Nora or Norah?

• Upvote 6

On 1/30/2021 at 10:29 AM, lumpentheologie said:

Ooh Malarrie is particularly awful.  It looks like malaria. 

It JUST occured to me that it's probably pronounced like Mallory!

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Khloe with a K is less common and not unusual. Khloe was the 137th most popular name for girls in 2019.  A really uncommon name/spelling wouldn't even be ranked. 

I agree Kaci is the most difficult. 

My name is traditional, but there are different spellings. 

At this point, everyone should expect to spell their names for people. There is no name that the spelling is universally agreed upon. Anna or Ana? John or Jon? Nora or Norah?

Well, no. For boys, there's Jack, Alex, Dan, Ken, Bob, Bill, Jim, Tom, Sam, Josh, Ben, . . . no need to spell any of these.

For girls, there Mary, Ellen, Sue, Betsy, Kelly, Rose, Emma, Fran, . . . there are tons of names you don't have to spell. Unless you choose to give you daughter an unknown iteration (Ellyn?)

I spell my name all day. It's a pain, but not a huge deal.  I feel sorrier for those kids who have names that SOUND unusual. I think life is tough enough without having to go through this every time you meet someone new:

"Hi, I'm Apple." "Huh, what?"

"I'd like you to meet Jax" "Hi, Jack." "No, it's Jax, with an X. . . "

"Kids, this young man is Kade." "Hi, Kate! You have a girl's name, Kate!"

The last two names are genuine, they are from Kelly Crawford's family.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Move Along 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Well, no. For boys, there's Jack, Alex, Dan, Ken, Bob, Bill, Jim, Tom, Sam, Josh, Ben, . . . no need to spell any of these.

For girls, there Mary, Ellen, Sue, Betsy, Kelly, Rose, Emma, Fran, . . . there are tons of names you don't have to spell. Unless you choose to give you daughter an unknown iteration (Ellyn?)

I spell my name all day. It's a pain, but not a huge deal.  I feel sorrier for those kids who have names that SOUND unusual. I think life is tough enough without having to go through this every time you meet someone new:

Ellyn is one of Sierra Domingues's daughters. I've known one Betsey and Kelley.

Most of those boys'  names are traditionally nicknames, not full or formal names. 

Kade and Kate are pronounced differently. 

I have to spell my name with easily the most common spelling. 

Most people taking information will probably ask you how to spell your name in the future, no matter what it is. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Literally in this family we are talking about there is a Kelly and a Callie?? I don't think that or eg, Betsey is a particularly unique or "creative" spelling. An Ellen over the phone might be mistaken for an Allan. Same with a Fran who is probably a Frances. Most of the males names you've listed are more likely to be nicknames than legal names. A decent amount of men are named Alec, which seems to me the same amount of difference from Alex as between Jack and Jax, and they all seem to be doing fine. Should Anne have an E or not? Should Stephen have a V or a PH? Laurence or Lawrence? Gillian or Jillian? Additionally lots of spelling differences are about language and culture and I think it's pretty rude to expect people to spell their names an exclusively Anglo way.

None of the 'unusual' names you have listed seem problematic to me - most people should know how to spell and pronounce Apple already, and both Jax and Kade aren't that uncommon and fairly simple to spell. Someone who insists on telling a little boy he has a girl's name even when he literally doesn't is being a dick. If you don't understand how someone's name is spelt or pronounced .... ask. Don't get it wrong on purpose. It's the most miniscule amount of effort to show someone respect and consideration in that way.

People who hate their names... can change them. and if a kid truly hates their name and wants a different one/to go by a nickname and their parents refuse, the problem there is shitty parents. Having an unusual name doesn't mean you'll hate it, and having a common one doesn't mean you'll like it or have no problems. My mum has a top ten if not top 5 name from when she was born (Susan) and she's hated it her whole life, but I guess that doesn't matter because at least she never had to spell it for anyone? ? 

Some people are going to like the names their parents picked and some people aren't but it seems to me it's going to be mostly luck since you can't know what kind of taste an infant has. I do sort of think you should try to give people with unusual first names more common middle names (what my parents did with me) and, and people with more common first names fun middles (what they did with my brother) because it's nice to have options, but I would never criticise someone who didn't follow a made up 'rule' (I just realised this is how Ben and Jessa named their boys lol)

(No offense intended here to the people from "name list" countries and apologies if it did. Apologies to everyone else for the wall of text)

Edited by wendy-sparkles
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On 1/30/2021 at 10:55 AM, Audrey2 said:

Always wondered why I never encountered a single other Latino guy with that first name...

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic