IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, OHFL2009 said:

In my mind, the names don't all go together. Bradley and Kaci (and it's various spellings) peaked in popularity in the 1980s, and were normal, but not super common names, with Bradley barely breaking the top 50 and Kaci only breaking the top 100 if you add all the various spellings together. Khloe/Chloe and Jayden both peaked in the early 2010s, and both were in the top 10 most popular names for multiple years. 

All the Bradleys and Kacis I know are in their 30s. Khloe and Jayden sound much more current. I don't think any of them are bad names, odd spelling/accent aside, but they definitely don't have a singular naming style. 

Maybe Whitney’s naming tastes are evolving along with the rest of her style (see vow renewal). She may have chosen Bradley and Kaci as her favorite names since she was a child herself, which is why they sound dated. Khloe and Jayden are also on their way to sounding dated, but they’re more contemporary/trendy than her first two kids. 

• Upvote 7

A lot of my friends are teachers and will tell you that J name boys are the worst behaved meaning the Jaydens Jaxsons etc made me sad as my favourite boy name is james. They did say the more traditional boy J names are not naughty

Jayden is ok if I am being judgey it is kind of a bogan baby name in Down Under. But then again I like classical but boring names James, Joseph, William, Daniel etc. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 2

BEC take:

Well they all sound like mediocre southern names (at least the last 3), dare I say white trash, so that's a pattern. Whitney is just basic and unoriginal.

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I think there is probably no bigger pattern involved at all. Whitney and Zach will either start a new list every time or discuss a big list they regularly update (because let’s be real they will need a few more names in the future). Many people like very different names, so I am not surprised to see this. I don’t have anything against obvious naming patterns but the very in your face ones (same starting letters/endings, all characters from one franchise...) make me pause for a sec sometimes.

I also don’t think it is important that siblings names go well together. That’s a bit as if you say your partners first name should go with yours. 

I also hope that both parents decided together on the name. Doesn’t mean someone’s prefers cannot win, but I believe both should be actively involved, invested and in love with the name (obviously different if one parent isn’t around to be involved).

• Upvote 9

I literally never thought about naming patterns until I came to FJ. Partly because most families I know don’t have more than 2 or 3 kids. I just assumed people chose names they liked. Never gave any thought to whether or not my friends names go with their sibling names. 

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Upvote 4

A lot of fundies, particularly those in the Bates family, go on and on about "wanting a boy" or "their son has to have a brother". For that reason, I'm glad the baby is a boy. Maybe this will slow Zach and Whitney down, at least a little. 

• Upvote 6

I don't know how Jayden is perceived in the US but here it is being used for annoying little (white trash) boys like Karen is used for complaining older ladies.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I'm not a fan of recently invented names that exist because they sound like other popular names.  So Jayden came around in the 90s because it sounded like Aidan. I have the same feeling about Everly. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

A lot of my friends are teachers and will tell you that J name boys are the worst behaved meaning the Jaydens Jaxsons etc made me sad as my favourite boy name is james. They did say the more traditional boy J names are not naughty

Jayden is ok if I am being judgey it is kind of a bogan baby name in Down Under. But then again I like classical but boring names James, Joseph, William, Daniel etc. 

What does “bogan” mean? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

(BEC) I think Bradley and Jayden are OK names. Nor my cup of tea, but at least they won't have to spell it 3 times every time they meet someone/go to an appointment. Their sisters have a burden with their speshul spellyng. 

(BEC again) I found the story about little Zach praying for having a baby brother obnoxious. I mean, it could have been a cute story! But Kelly made it over the top with the constant prayer. That poor kids cannot wish a baby brother, they have to pray. Everything involves praying and God's will. Guess what, Kelly? If there is a God, it would be too busy to care about the sex of your eleventy baby.

I have the feeling that Whitney and Kelly are pushing Bradley to be a copy of his father (Outfits, dreams, hobbies...) Let the kid be himself!

Well, I stop the rant here. Sorry!

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

Not gonna lie...I find Jayden to be such a cringe-worthy name. Then again, I really hate super trendy names that feel made up or annoying spelling of regular names. Ayden, Cayden, Jayden, Jaxon, Braxton, etc. I try not to snark too much because names are such a personal decision and everyone has vastly different tastes. I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't like my naming patterns but I was super surprised they picked Jayden. 

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

What does “bogan” mean? 

I think bogans occupy the same sort of place in society that white trash in the US or maybe chavs in the UK do, but with different cultural markers? so if you're middle class or posh you might see bogans as trashy or tacky - it's used both as a pejorative and also more fondly. I don't think there are any major differences between bogans in NZ vs Aus but there probably are some minor ones. Here's the wiki if that helps.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

My husband's cousin and his wife had a baby girl the exact same day we did in 2001. They named her Jayden. I always thought it was a girl's name. ?‍♀️ Maybe people use it for either a boy or a girl, or maybe his cousin and his wife just liked the sound of it.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

What does “bogan” mean? 

american equivalent would be white trash

• Thank You 1

Okay guys it's just a name. It's not my taste or style, but it's somebody's style.  I personally don't know any Jayden, although I know an Aiden/Aidan, Braeden, Caden/Kaden, and Hayden.  There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the name.  It reflects a more modern style that some people prefer to old-fashioned names. 

I have mixed feelings about naming children after relatives. I think it can be nice to honor someone in your life, but it also may be a bad idea based on troubled relationships between the parents and the relatives being honored. Like in this case, Whitney's parents lost custody and she was adopted by other people. Obviously we have no idea why they lost custody, but it's seems likely that something was going wrong between Whitney and her parents. Hopefully things are better now and if the relationship becomes strained again, it won't affect the little boy. 

I actually like that Jayden has a different first name from grandpa, which may help carve out his own identity. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 5

I wonder if the Bates' naming tastes will evolve as they grow up. 90 % of Bates grandchildren names sound like something a teenager would name her child. 

• Upvote 2
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I wonder if the Bates' naming tastes will evolve as they grow up. 90 % of Bates grandchildren names sound like something a teenager would name her child. 

That's because they essentially are teenagers (at least in maturity!) naming kids!! I'm in my mid 30's and my name selection has evolved considerably since I was a teenager and even early 20's. I remember wanting to name a girl "Ava Grace" and looking back it's literally one of the the most popular name combos ever. That name wasn't even on my list by the time I was actually pregnant. 

My best friend had her kids very early, right out of college, and named her daughter Ella. This was back in 2005 and it ended up being the most popular/trendy name for a few years running. In fact, her daughter's two best friends are also named Ella. 

Edited by LillyP
  • Upvote 2
  • Move Along 1

2 hours ago, LillyP said:

That's because they essentially are teenagers (at least in maturity!) naming kids!! I'm in my mid 30's and my name selection has evolved considerably since I was a teenager and even early 20's. I remember wanting to name a girl "Ava Grace" and looking back it's literally one of the the most popular name combos ever. That name wasn't even on my list by the time I was actually pregnant. 

When I was 13, I wanted to name my future children after contestants on Love Island! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

I may have told this story before. In the late 80s when I had by first, 3 of my SILs also had babies. So, 4 babies within 5 months time. 3 of us were late 20s or early 30s. 1 SIL was early 20s. Had the youngest SIL had a girl(she didn’t), she was going to give her a very unique name. I think it was something from a TV show she watched. The rest of us did have girls...Fast forward 12 years when she had her second, a girl, whom she named Ann(not her name) but one equally traditional. People mature and often times so do their taste in names. Her son does have a fairly traditional name.

• Upvote 5

I just feel like Jayden doesn’t fit with any of their other kids’ names. When you say the other three out loud they all flow together well. Obviously you don’t have to have a naming scheme but it just seems to really stick out. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 1/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, Melissa1977 said:

(BEC) I think Bradley and Jayden are OK names. Nor my cup of tea, but at least they won't have to spell it 3 times every time they meet someone/go to an appointment. Their sisters have a burden with their speshul spellyng. 

(BEC again) I found the story about little Zach praying for having a baby brother obnoxious. I mean, it could have been a cute story! But Kelly made it over the top with the constant prayer. That poor kids cannot wish a baby brother, they have to pray. Everything involves praying and God's will. Guess what, Kelly? If there is a God, it would be too busy to care about the sex of your eleventy baby.

I have the feeling that Whitney and Kelly are pushing Bradley to be a copy of his father (Outfits, dreams, hobbies...) Let the kid be himself!

Well, I stop the rant here. Sorry!

They will definitely have to spell out Jayden because it could easily be Jaden, Jaydon, Jadon, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, mstee said:

I just feel like Jayden doesn’t fit with any of their other kids’ names. When you say the other three out loud they all flow together well. Obviously you don’t have to have a naming scheme but it just seems to really stick out. 

I really thought they were doing an 'ee' ending theme, since both Zach and Whit have names that end in that sound.  So yeah Jayden really is the odd one out there. I also thought they were doing B names for the boys and K names for the girls, but I guess not. My guess for a boy was Brody or Bentley. 

I think we probably put more thought into fundie kid names than the parents do a lot of the time. ?

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

In terms of making the spelling of the child’s name more obvious, they could have chosen “Jason” which is very similar (imo) to Jayden but has a single spelling option. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Angelface said:

In terms of making the spelling of the child’s name more obvious, they could have chosen “Jason” which is very similar (imo) to Jayden but has a single spelling option. 

10 minutes ago, adidas said:

Jayson is an alternate spelling. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayson

Even simple names can be made "creative". At least Jayson makes phonetic sense. Poor Jassen Cullimore probably never had his name pronounced correctly by anyone other than announcers with a pronunciation guide. 

• Upvote 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic