IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

9 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I had a discussion time ago with that poster, because she thinks Old Testament names cannot be used by Catholics. In Spain, many Old Testament names (like Daniel) have been not only common for centuries, but also there are Saints with that names. 

Same here in Germany. I don’t think anyone means any disrespect or wishes to appropriate a name belonging to another culture. It’s just that those names were taken from the Bible ages ago, as part of Christian tradition. Just one of those things that happen when you build your religion on another, I guess.
To me, it would be far more disrespectful to consciously avoid Jewish names. 

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 10

Traditionally, at least in the English-speaking world, names from the Hebrew Bible were used by Protestants but not Catholics. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Traditionally, at least in the English-speaking world, names from the Hebrew Bible were used by Protestants but not Catholics. 

Really? I honestly wasn’t aware of that.

Definitely not the case for German. Besides, if we avoided Biblical names, half of our most common names would be disqualified. We’d all have to go back to calling our kids Brünnhilde or Siegfried or something equally scary.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 13

53 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Definitely not the case for German. Besides, if we avoided Biblical names, half of our most common names would be disqualified. We’d all have to go back to calling our kids Brünnhilde or Siegfried or something equally scary.

I don't think we have actual Dutch names that are not Biblical or Latin. I can only think of Frisian names but then I could not use them because I am not Frisian. 

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 6

Hebrew Bible = Old Testament so I wasn’t talking about the whole Bible. 

I was taught not to say Old Testament outside of a Christian religious context as it is offensive to many Jewish people. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I was taught not to say Old Testament outside of a Christian religious context as it is offensive to many Jewish people. 

That's funny. I had an extensive Jewish education growing up, and I never heard that. We never used the terms "Bible", "Hebrew Bible" or "Old Testament", though. We called it the Torah. Although I didn't know it then, we were referring to the first five books of the Hebrew Bible.

In fact, after a zillion years of Hebrew education, I never knew that this special thing called the Torah was actually the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament/Bible. I just thought it was the Torah, everyone made a fuss over it, but I never really understood the words inside it. It was generally read to us in Hebrew, but even the English translation didn't make much sense to 9-year old me.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think we had the emotional connection to it that the fundies have with their Bible. Though we were supposed to.

• Upvote 8

22 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I know a few Brünnhildes, they are in their 60s and up - they all go by Brüni, which sounds OK. Though my partner and I often joke that our potential children (we're CF) had a lucky escape - he's German, and wants to be English, I'm English and want to be German. The only names we could compromise on were Tristan, Isolde, Johannes and Siegmund. (We both love our Wagner,but he vetoed Richard, weirdly. Alongside Günther and Waltraute.)
If I'd been a fundie who loved Wagner and the anti-Arndt, I think the only Wagnerian name I *might* have flinched at using is "Grimgerde". Oh, the fun I could have had! 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Zebedee said:

I know a few Brünnhildes, they are in their 60s and up - they all go by Brüni, which sounds OK

My MIL's called Brunhilde, actually, and goes by Bruni because she hates her full name. I do like Tristan, and Johannes is fine, but all the other Wagnerian names sound far too Teutonic for my taste - plus, there's the whole Wagner/Hitler association. But if you're really into the music, I might see the appeal *lol*.

I do associate most of the names you mentioned with an older generation (70+), so that might be part of the problem. 

• Upvote 6

22 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

There are some old testament names that are common in catholic countries and some that arent. I dont think there are all the same names that are common in jewish communities. They are all taken from the same source but tastes in names developed diferently over centuries. There is a few names that overlap though and are common in both like Daniel, Raquel or Ismael.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

@Nothing if not critical yes, if I were a parent and living in Germany, I probably would avoid most very Wagnerian names for the Hitler reason. In the UK, I think Siegfried and Tristan would be find, people would just assume I really love "All Creatures Great and Small" (That's where I first heard the names as a kid, and I had a massive crush on both characters!). I think Siegfried/Bruni might be what I name my future dog. Next rat is probably a Parsifal, but I'll call him Percy :)
My current Sim family is Spanish - I'm going to make a Wagnerian fundie family next, and get to use *all* the names, and have 9 girls in a row :)

• Upvote 9

6 minutes ago, Zebedee said:

In the UK, I think Siegfried and Tristan would be find, people would just assume I really love "All Creatures Great and Small" (That's where I first heard the names as a kid, and I had a massive crush on both characters!)

I loved that show so much when I was a kid! Of course I had no clue about Wagner back then and I was always very confused why two British guys would have German names ?.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Should the newborn baby not sleep with his parents instead of Bradley? That is super weird to me. 

Well most people set up the nursery even though the baby will sleep in the parents room for a few weeks or months

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Should the newborn baby not sleep with his parents instead of Bradley? That is super weird to me. 

Some American parents keep newborns in their bedrooms for a while, but many, probably most, have the baby sleep in its own bedroom from the beginning. (The Duggars kept the new baby in the parents’ bedroom for the first six months.) I think Kelly and Gil put babies in the girls’ bedroom and expected the girls to get up with them at night. Hopefully Bradley is just excited to have a brother sharing his room, since he only has sisters so far.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Some American parents keep newborns in their bedrooms for a while, but many, probably most, have the baby sleep in its own bedroom from the beginning. (The Duggars kept the new baby in the parents’ bedroom for the first six months.) I think Kelly and Gil put babies in the girls’ bedroom and expected the girls to get up with them at night. Hopefully Bradley is just excited to have a brother sharing his room, since he only has sisters so far.

I disagree. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends room sharing for the first year to prevent SIDS. And most women breastfeed for at least some period of time, which is logistically challenging if baby is in another room.

I only know one person who didn’t keep their baby in their room for at least the first six months, and that was bc she has an insane husband who refused to allow the baby in their room. She ended up mostly sleeping in the baby’s room because of that. 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I was thinking it was weird they're already gender-segregating and putting the new baby with Bradley. Wouldn't it make more sense to put him with Khloe and have the two older kids share? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

39 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I was thinking it was weird they're already gender-segregating and putting the new baby with Bradley. Wouldn't it make more sense to put him with Khloe and have the two older kids share? 

This makes the most sense to me. The youngest ones are likely to have common interests, similar bedtime stories/lullabies, likely still in diapers, closer development levels, etc. I would also think it’s safer. Once the baby starts crawling, Bradley would no longer be able to leave certain toys like legos on the floor (like a normal kid). If Bradley had his own room before, this may be hard for him. 
@Zebedee and @Nothing if not critical, I recently watched the 2020 version of the show. Loved it so much! Can’t wait for season two. But in the meantime, I’m reading the books and I’ve watched a few episodes of the old show. 

• Upvote 7

I think they’re way too into gender roles to put the baby boy in with Khloe. (My phone autocorrected to Kylie; taking sides with the Kardashians, are we, Apple?) Some people never put opposite-sex siblings together if it can be avoided. My mom loves the TV show “Young Sheldon,” but she’s continually shocked that 11-year-old boy/girl twins share a room.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

This is a good point and makes me even sadder. It’s great that Brad is excited to have a brother and isn’t jealous, but if he is looking for a playmate to do “boy” things with he is going to be upset by the long squishy baby phase. Whereas Kaci is the perfect age to run around and play with him but instead she is mommy’s little helper organizing. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

Until I was almost five we had a two bedroom house. There were three kids. I have two bothers. My baby brother was barely 6 months when we moved. I continued to share a room with my older brother, I was scared to sleep alone. When I was 8 I moved upstairs. My younger brother came along because he was afraid to sleep alone. I had a day bed and a pop up trundle. He slept in the trundle. When I was 12 I no longer wanted to share a room so he went to his own room. Always had fun as a kid sharing with my brothers. 

• Upvote 10

10 hours ago, artdecades said:

This is a good point and makes me even sadder. It’s great that Brad is excited to have a brother and isn’t jealous, but if he is looking for a playmate to do “boy” things with he is going to be upset by the long squishy baby phase. Whereas Kaci is the perfect age to run around and play with him but instead she is mommy’s little helper organizing. 

I was four years old when my brother came and I was so excited to have a little brother. And then I was really really disappointed when I realized he wasn't another kid to play with, but a little needy baby which was on my mothers lap 24/7. I even brought my favourite toys to the hospital when I visited him the first time with my grandparents. I immediately dumped my bag over him. It was full of duplo, my favourite toys. I think everybody was glad that I hadn't packed my wooden building blocks.

Edited by ophelia
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 19
  • Love 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 1:30 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I think they’re way too into gender roles to put the baby boy in with Khloe. (My phone autocorrected to Kylie; taking sides with the Kardashians, are we, Apple?) Some people never put opposite-sex siblings together if it can be avoided. My mom loves the TV show “Young Sheldon,” but she’s continually shocked that 11-year-old boy/girl twins share a room.

So interesting Alyssa is doing this same arrangement in terms of ages with her 4 daughters, putting the oldest with the baby and the 2 middle together, and in that case they're all girls anyway. So it seems to be some kind of standard age division? Though with Alyssa the guess is she's priming Allie Jane to be a little sister mom, so ar least the baby isnt going with Kaci.

With both of these I certainly hope they plan to follow guidelines and keep the newborns in the parents room the first 6 months minimum.

• Upvote 2

On 2/15/2021 at 1:09 AM, Johannah said:

I disagree. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends room sharing for the first year to prevent SIDS. And most women breastfeed for at least some period of time, which is logistically challenging if baby is in another room.

You disagree most Americans keep their babies in the nursery? Or disagree with their decision to do this?

On 2/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, artdecades said:

Bradley is six, isn't he? I'm not sure he's going to think it's fun to have a noisy infant in his room. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Bradley is six, isn't he? I'm not sure he's going to think it's fun to have a noisy infant in his room. 

I love my youngest brother dearly (in fact he’s the only one of my three brothers who I have anything to do with , but that’s a story for another day). But even though he’s turning 50 this year, I still have vivid recollections of being very annoyed that he was put in my room as a baby and that every.single.day when I got home from school, I wasn’t allowed to play in my bedroom because he was asleep.  It was definitely no fun being 5-6 and having a baby in my room!  Lucky he was a gorgeous little brother :) 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic