IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

On 3/9/2021 at 3:34 AM, Travlr98 said:

My 8 year old niece told me that when she is 28 she is going to have a mansion and I can live with her. Kids are so silly sometimes, I can't help laughing. 

Try to get it on camera. You never know, she might be the next Jeff Bezoz.....

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

On 3/4/2021 at 5:42 AM, lumpentheologie said:

This sleeping in the same room recommendation really sounds like a huge burden to me. I had always planned on having a nursery for a baby if I had one. My husband and I have separate bedrooms because neither of us can sleep much with the distraction of another person in the room, and we each need space that is just for us. If I/we (??) would have to give up all that to not endanger a child that makes me sad. 

My boyfriend and I also have separate bedrooms. But, I am pregnant with my first and the thought of having to leave my bedroom more than once per night to go feed a crying baby sounds horrendous. I am glad that those side cribs exist, and ill probably drag the full size crib in to my room once he/she outgrows the side one! The less I have to move, the more sleep I'll get. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

When my middle daughter was three I asked her what she wanted for breakfast. She said "circles of darkness".  She meant cocoa puffs. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 39
  • Love 4

When my son was little,  he was having trouble biting into a big dinner roll. He started crying, "I don't want it on the cob!!!"  I guess in his mind, corn on the cob meant big corn that was hard to eat, so this frustrating dinner roll was also "on the cob."

Edited by Satan'sFortress
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 22
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

When my son was little,  he was having trouble biting into a big dinner roll. He started crying, "I don't want it on the cob!!!"  I guess in his mind, corn on the cob meant big corn that was hard to eat, so this frustrating dinner roll was also "on the cob."

I would have said something like this and to this day I still hate corn on the cob.

Cornbread, corn salsa, popcorn, cornflakes, yes, but eff off with this "veggie" nonsense. It's a starch, not a veggie, and it's a waste of carbs and calories.

When I was small I thought that the condensation trails behind planes meant that passengers didn't want to wait to get to the airport, but were just parachuting out of the planes when they flew over the desired location.  One time a plane flew directly overhead and I went inside to tell my mother that we were getting a lot of people coming for dinner.

One of my kids confessed that when she was small, she avoided asking for toys that were advertised "Parental supervision recommended".  She thought that a new set of parents came with each toy and she didn't want that!  She thought that either they'd have to live in her closet, or they'd take over and kick us out.  What if they were mean?  Would they let her see us?  What if they just left in a huff and took the toy with them?  She felt it was better to avoid the situation altogether.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 21
  • Love 1

When I was a kid I watched A LOT of infomercials because they were “paid television” and for whatever reason I thought that meant that my parents didn’t have to pay for the electricity/cable for me to watch them. To this day I still love a good infomercial

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought the “No Loitering” signs were “littering” spelled wrong as a kid and I couldn’t understand why so many signs were misspelled ?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

When I was a kid if I saw a sign that said "No minors allowed" I'd get all indignant and exclaim "That's discrimination against miners!"  Yes, I couldn't understand why a person who slaved away underground all day in dark mines (with the inherent danger that comes with the job) was being treated unfairly by everyone else.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

As a child, I remember hearing about guerrilla warfare on the tv news and wondering how they taught the gorillas to shoot guns.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 5

Whitney: ok you guys, you have been asking me about what products I use on my face, and I just FINALLY had time to tell you.

#ad, #sponsored

Ok, a couple of questions dear whitney. Did you really just FINALLY have the time to tell us, or did you just FINALLY get paid to tell us? ? Obviously we know the answer. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

Whitney: ok you guys, you have been asking me about what products I use on my face, and I just FINALLY had time to tell you.

#ad, #sponsored

Ok, a couple of questions dear whitney. Did you really just FINALLY have the time to tell us, or did you just FINALLY get paid to tell us? ? Obviously we know the answer. 

yeah i would be so embarrassed to be such a con artist like that. I don't have an issue with her selling stuff and making money but just be more honest. More like I was looking for a new skin routine and I have tried this product and now I am in a partnership with them because I really like it and want to share it with you. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 9

I had last night's episode on in the background while I was working around the house, and it sounds like Zach has left the sheriff's department and gone to work for Gil's tree company. He said the 50-60 hours a week with 12-hour shifts was hard on his family and he felt like long hours sitting in his patrol car was taking a toll on his health. They also mentioned that the boutique is doing better than they expected and moving to a physical storefront, so maybe they feel more financially comfortable with the decision now that Whitney is making more money. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 8

5 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

I had last night's episode on in the background while I was working around the house, and it sounds like Zach has left the sheriff's department and gone to work for Gil's tree company. He said the 50-60 hours a week with 12-hour shifts was hard on his family and he felt like long hours sitting in his patrol car was taking a toll on his health. They also mentioned that the boutique is doing better than they expected and moving to a physical storefront, so maybe they feel more financially comfortable with the decision now that Whitney is making more money. 

Law enforcement work is hard on families in general so I understand his desire to move into something that would be less demanding. The way it was worded it seemed that he was also frustrated with probably what would be some of the internal politics of the job. I can understand that too. Many in public service jobs like that don't last very long because it can be so draining on the body and emotions. I'm not in law enforcement but just yesterday I was screamed at about rules for a public facility, a tree that people want saved, and landscaping. There are many days I wonder why I went into government work. 

He is saying he is going back to work with the tree service. I have to wonder if Gil might have encouraged that given that the other older boys have not indicated an interest in running it. Lawson and Nathan don't seem to want to do it full time. They both fly off to wherever they want and are gone for weeks or sometimes months. If I'm a potential customer, I want my tree down now and not six weeks from now when you show back up. Trace would be the next choice, but he doesn't seem that interested at this point. The other boys are too young, inexperienced, or uninterested. 

While the tree business isn't important to the family's financial situation right now, it could be again when the show is over. Somehow I doubt these families are saving the show money up for a rainy day. 

• Upvote 12

Zach's decision seemed very strange to me. Bates Tree Service doesn't even have a webpage. That's more lucrative than a job with benefits and a pension? Even their facebook page hasn't been updated since 2013. The tree business is dangerous, too. 

I think Zach and Whitney are dedicating more time to their UpTV business. 

I did find one positive review for Bates tree service from six months ago, but many other reviewer said they called the Bates and no one ever responded back.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 12

I don't think they trust Lawson with the tree service.  When they do feature it - he always seems relegated to ground only tasks. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Zach's decision seemed very strange to me. Bates Tree Service doesn't even have a webpage. That's more lucrative than a job with benefits and a pension? Even their facebook page hasn't been updated since 2013. The tree business is dangerous, too. 

I think Zach and Whitney are dedicating more time to their UpTV business. 

I did find one positive review for Bates tree service from six months ago, but many other reviewer said they called the Bates and no one ever responded back.

Carlin made a comment in the episode about how her dad only advertises in the yellow pages and is behind the times when it comes to running a business. I've gotten the impression before that a lot of their work came from friends/church members/word of mouth so maybe they feel like Zach will be able to make it into a more professional business. It felt like more of a handing off the business altogether than the times we've seen Lawson or Trace or Jackson "helping" on tree jobs.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

I think Zach and Whitney are dedicating more time to their UpTV business. I don't believe the tree business has existed for the last 5-6 years.

Agreed. I have a feeling that Zach probably was facing pressure at work and within his family over his schedule and other issues. He wasn't as available to film and even had to miss things like the family photo shoot. If I remember correctly, he's had to come to family events (I Love You Day) in uniform and spend a limited amount of time. That in addition to added pressures of jobs in the public sector right now can be hard. Not to mention he's the only one in that whole family with a regular job and not trying to start their own business (i.e. make their own hours). I'm sure he felt that pressure too. It's a shame because it was one of the things that made me think Zach had better common sense than his siblings. 

Maybe the boutique is making some money (cheap dresses do turn somewhat of a profit), but they still split those profits three ways. I can guarantee there are no benefits such as insurance or retirement. While that money might help, it's not going to be the same as a steady paycheck and good benefits. I've worked for the government and I've worked for myself. There are pros and cons to each. I love to eat so I went back into working for someone else because I want that paycheck. Feast or famine is cool in your 20s when you aren't supporting a family. I wouldn't want to tell my daughters that there is no dinner tonight because a client didn't pay me or I didn't hustle up enough business. 

There was just something odd about his and Whitney's wording about it. She spoke of pressures she didn't even know about and the like. I am just assuming based on law enforcement people I know and even those in Anderson County, Zach's superiors might have been getting annoyed with his needing time off for filming of family stuff for the show. Don't you know he was asked on more than one occasions, "are you trying to be a cop or a movie star?"

I would like to say I was happy - ish to see Gil finally come clean that he quit the job at Nabisco and wasn't laid off. That story has fluctuated over the years so much. He hesitated in his speech about it, but the evidence has always pointed to him having quit.  

• Upvote 15

Also, law enforcement officers don't make a lot of money.  Some moonlight as security guards or bouncers in bars/nightclubs to make ends meet.

• Upvote 8

They actually make a fairly high salary in New York, often 6 figures, not sure about Tennessee though. 

Also, I think Zach has zero appreciation for or understanding of benefits like health insurance and retirement plans. That’s totally outside the realm of fundies. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Johannah said:

They actually make a fairly high salary in New York, often 6 figures, not sure about Tennessee though. 

According to Google, the average salary for a sheriff's deputy in Anderson County, TN, is somewhere around $40,000. Zach had been there for 10 years, so he was likely making more than that, but he certainly wasn't making 6 figures.

• Upvote 4

Continue on trying to figure out why someone gives up a job with benefits and a pension to run a tree service.

Oh.

He's Gil Bates' son that's why!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic