IGNORED

Maxwell 28: You Can Leave Your Vest On!

Coconut Flan

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Full admission: I don’t like showers in general. I’m not against showers at all. I think they are nice gestures. I just think most are incredibly boring. The only ones I ever enjoyed were the ones where I knew everyone and just socialized with people I enjoy while ignoring the whole boring present opening thing. The games usually aren’t too interesting either. I tend to like the food ok. But I would rather rip my fingernails off one by one than go to a shower where I know practically no one. 

LOL! The last time I had to plan a baby shower, my co-organizer friend and I brought a small bottle of rhum to secretly spike our orange juice (it was brunch). Showers in general are torture for me, especially the opening gifts part. The cringe of people comparing each other's gifts just makes me want to leave the room.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

LOL! The last time I had to plan a baby shower, my co-organizer friend and I brought a small bottle of rhum to secretly spike our orange juice (it was brunch). Showers in general are torture for me, especially the opening gifts part. The cringe of people comparing each other's gifts just makes me want to leave the room.

People are always like: “Jermajesty get in here! You’ll miss her opening gifts!” And I’m thinking to myself, “that’s the point...”

When I got married, my ex-husband's mother and I had a big ole' thing™ over opening up presents AT the reception. I had never heard of such a thing and ardently refused. Number one, it's tacky as fuck. Number two, nobody wants to sit there and watch all that. Number three, most people gave us cash (for which we were very thankful) and not many people got us physical presents (for which we were also very thankful) so it was really pointless. But again, it was a big ole' thing™. 

51 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I saw those too and thought “wtf?” I don’t get it either. My kids love gummy worms in dirt pudding. Maybe it was one of the ABC girls that did it. 

Betting antipasta-type garnishes like pimientos, olives, celery curls, red and green pepper slices, cucumber curls, etc.  Childishly cute!

So even CM has to help the other Maxwell Families? Can’t the ladies just get together, talk, have coffee a snack, let the kids play and visit? Does there always need to be a chore involved?  What a horrible, depressing life. This is not living, it’s existing in drudgery.

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

When I got married, my ex-husband's mother and I had a big ole' thing™ over opening up presents AT the reception. I had never heard of such a thing and ardently refused. Number one, it's tacky as fuck. Number two, nobody wants to sit there and watch all that. Number three, most people gave us cash (for which we were very thankful) and not many people got us physical presents (for which we were also very thankful) so it was really pointless. But again, it was a big ole' thing™. 

We didn't have a dust-up over this, but MrDrPusey's grandmother (bless) wanted to do this at our wedding reception and I had never heard of opening gifts at the reception either! She had made us a quilt and I think just wanted to show it off, understandably.

What she thought was going to happen (which is I guess what happened in WWII era rural Nebraska when she was a new bride) was that other people would open our presents for us before we got there. So she showed up with the quilt she'd made, unwrapped, and was very puzzled when there wasn't a gift table with a slot with a tiny card indicating where her gift would go.

Come to think of it, this is kind of the way the British royal family used to do wedding gifts. Take a gander at what the Ambassador from New Zealand has presented to the Princess on behalf of his nation! (I don't know if this is what they still do or not)

On 1/22/2019 at 2:27 PM, kpmom said:

ITA.  My guess is it was the opposite, 20% out of pocket, 80% covered, and she misunderstood.

And I call bullshit on the "because it was a hit and run insurance would not have paid anything". That's not how group health insurance works. Now, if he'd been driving in a car, and there was a hit and run, two things would have happened: his medical bills would have been paid in full by his automobile insurance, and damage to his vehicle would have been subject to whatever deductible he carried. This has nothing whatsoever to do with this situation. Unless she was saying that they had refused the company-provided group coverage, so they would have been uninsured, and yeah, then, even if it wasn't a hit and run, they would have been stuck with the medical bills. Because you can't get blood out of a turnip. Or someone who has no money and not car insurance.

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

My IUD cost $65 out of pocket, and my next one will be a cool Free 99, thanks to the NHS. That costs way less than having umpteen kids. 

Also, buttfucking don't cost a thing unless you want it to. 

A friend's daughter discovered too late that her university health coverage had lapsed and while she was uninsured she had had an IUD inserted. $2000, and they would not negotiate with her at all.

15 hours ago, anjulibai said:

What health costs are there for a condom? 

About $.50 USD each. A tiny fraction of what it costs to raise a child.

58 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

So even CM has to help the other Maxwell Families? Can’t the ladies just get together, talk, have coffee a snack, let the kids play and visit? Does there always need to be a chore involved?  What a horrible, depressing life. This is not living, it’s existing in drudgery.

Who is CM?

19 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

About $.50 USD each. A tiny fraction of what it costs to raise a child.

And there are actually places you can get free condoms. You just have to look for them. Actually My state has a free condom program. They will send them to your house when you sign up. You don’t even have to go pick them up!

12 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Who is CM?

I missed the post you are quoting but I am guessing Chelsy.

Looking at the pictures from the shower I am wondering if she is having a boy. Normally I would think the grey/yellow theme and the red onsie and blue/beige sleep sack would be gender neutral but for some reason I just got a boy vibe when looking at things. I am not usually right with my guesses though. 

57 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And there are actually places you can get free condoms. You just have to look for them. Actually My state has a free condom program. They will send them to your house when you sign up. You don’t even have to go pick them up!

You can also go to any university and take a handful from well...everywhere. That’s how it was where I went to school. Condoms literally free all over the place. 

52 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

I missed the post you are quoting but I am guessing Chelsy.

Looking at the pictures from the shower I am wondering if she is having a boy. Normally I would think the grey/yellow theme and the red onsie and blue/beige sleep sack would be gender neutral but for some reason I just got a boy vibe when looking at things. I am not usually right with my guesses though. 

I thought it was more blue/yellow theme, but in any case, I sensed "boy", too. Chelsy said they were going to find out the sex, but not tell anyone. Maybe the changed their minds about telling people?

Grey and yellow are pretty gender neutral. I was always looking for gender neutral baby clothing and a lot of it was yellow or grey. But I am thinking she’s having a boy. 

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Does anyone still use Crisco as lube?   I think that was big in bathhouses. (Randy Shilts referred to the cans of Crisco in bathhouses in And the Band Played On.)

Dear god I hope not. 

7 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

You can also go to any university and take a handful from well...everywhere. That’s how it was where I went to school. Condoms literally free all over the place. 

I was a resident assistant in college and got them free from the nurse.  I had a huge bucket in my room for residents to come and get as they needed, judge-free zone.

I know when I got care as a teen at Planned Parenthood (guess what, they do more than just abortions!), I was given a bag of free condoms.

Local health depts probably also have them for free.

16 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

We here in Canada just don't understand the hang-ups Americans have about socialized medicine.  While our system certainly isn't perfect, citizens don't live in fear of health care bills and primary health care is available to all residents.

Agree!  Another Canadian here and we had to rush my son to the ER last night for a seizure.  We were in such a rush I forgot my wallet (and therefore his health card).  A nurse took his name and birth date while others were working on him and that was that.  I don't know how much last night, with it's multitude of tests, will cost the province, nor will I ever.  I can't imagine having to worry about payment while watching a team of 10 professionals work on your baby.  I also can't understand why, if you have the opportunity for insurance, you wouldn't take it.  Just because they offer to cover birth control doesn't mean you have to take it.  

9 minutes ago, bluelady said:

Agree!  Another Canadian here and we had to rush my son to the ER last night for a seizure.  We were in such a rush I forgot my wallet (and therefore his health card).  A nurse took his name and birth date while others were working on him and that was that.  I don't know how much last night, with it's multitude of tests, will cost the province, nor will I ever.  I can't imagine having to worry about payment while watching a team of 10 professionals work on your baby.  I also can't understand why, if you have the opportunity for insurance, you wouldn't take it.  Just because they offer to cover birth control doesn't mean you have to take it.  

I hope he's okay.  

14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I hope he's okay.  

He'll be fine. It was a febrile seizure that lasted longer than usual so they ran a list of tests to be sure. Thank you for asking ?

3 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

I was a resident assistant in college and got them free from the nurse.  I had a huge bucket in my room for residents to come and get as they needed, judge-free zone.

I know when I got care as a teen at Planned Parenthood (guess what, they do more than just abortions!), I was given a bag of free condoms.

My highschool even had them available in a bowl, free for the taking, until students started using them to play pranks like putting them on locks. At that point students were directed to go to the health clinic up the road.

6 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

The last time I was in New Orleans I noticed a few restaurants in the French Quarter had replaced their bowl of mints near the door with a bowl of condoms.

In the comments Griselda Teri said this was the same neighbor that hosted a shower for Invisible Elissa.

22 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

The last time I was in New Orleans I noticed a few restaurants in the French Quarter had replaced their bowl of mints near the door with a bowl of condoms.

I laughed at this because of the way you said it.  But seriously, this is good.  We need more protection out there for the taking.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived