IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

4 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

To screw over the Duggars. It isn’t out of love for the kids but to hurt the others. I of course don’t know if any of this is what is going on in Derrick’s head. He just seems like a very pissed off person and he seems very vindictive.  Which is what makes me think that when he hits that breaking point he’s going to be out to hurt everyone. 

Well that's gonna bite him in the arse when he has to live with two kids and won't get any #nokidstime or whatever the hashtag is. Dumbass. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had wanted to do an ETA to my last post but was too late to edit. Continuing on food issues or brand preferences - taking a guest out to food shop can be super helpful. I have some great people around me who get me and understand the least stressful option for all involved is to shop together when possible (or do a really detailed list.) I do this now when hosting people, and have had out of town guests get super excited to rediscover regional brands that they wouodn't have thought of if they hadn't been with me while shopping.

17 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Well that's gonna bite him in the arse when he has to live with two kids and won't get any #nokidstime or whatever the hashtag is. Dumbass. 

He is probably gonne get frustrated with not having a broodmare to wash his dirty socks and him having to actually take care of his kids real quick. 

There is bound to be some funy light girl out there who doesn't mind a divorced man. Someone fundy enough to be oke with being subversive to Derick but more wordly that Jill so he can at least keep her at home without her falling apart when he is gone for a few hours. (I feel bad to describe Jill like this. Makes it sounds like fundy woman are pets to their husbands)

1 hour ago, Stokstaartje said:

Makes it sounds like fundy woman are pets to their husbands

Srsly I treat my pets better than some fundie husbands treat their wives...

16 hours ago, Betty Haines said:

Kraft Foods use to make various cheese spreads that came in six-ounce glass jars that could be used as juice glasses when empty. The “Pimento Cheese” spread looked very similar to Thousand Island salad dressing in color, so that might be what some of you are recalling.

My husband used to eat that cream cheese with pineapple.  It looked like regular old cream cheese with maybe some flecks of yellow from the pineapple in it.  The Pimento Cheese is something very different.  The main ingredient of pimento cheese is shredded cheddar.  Most of  the time it's mixed with mayo although  in this case, it would be mixed with cream cheese.  And yes, it has pimentos in it!  Pimento cheese is very popular in the Southeast and there's even a specialty in South Carolina of Pimento Cheese Cheeseburgers.

Eventually, Kraft started packing the specialty cream cheeses in tubs just like they'd pack the softer cream cheese.

Port wine cheese is one of my favorite spreads. Most brands come roled with slivered almonds Yuck. Once I found out that Wegmans’s has it in bricks with no nuts I was one very happy bunny. 

My family has been into the flavored cream cheese spreads lately. My mom really likes eating salmon and cream cheese so I asked her if she had tried the salmon cream cheese spread, and she said no, and that she wouldn't get it because my dad would hate it. I pointed out that he wouldn't have to eat it, but she said he might accidentally eat it and get upset. She also reminded me, accurately, that he once made and ate an entire burrito with canned dog food instead of refried beans.

I still think that it's your own fault if you accidentally eat a food that is clearly labeled but whatever. :? 

23 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Port wine cheese is one of my favorite spreads. Most brands come roled with slivered almonds Yuck. Once I found out that Wegmans’s has it in bricks with no nuts I was one very happy bunny. 

Wait, I never hear of it with nuts. I've only had this type 

Spoiler

download.jpeg

I saw a display of sandwich spread TODAY at a Food For Less in metro Chicago. I probably noticed it because it is being talked about here. Should have snapped a photo, I think it was Heinz brand.

5 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I saw a display of sandwich spread TODAY at a Food For Less in metro Chicago. I probably noticed it because it is being talked about here. Should have snapped a photo, I think it was Heinz brand.

Did you have face a bunch of mayo? I'm sorry. Bad things happen to good people sometimes.  ?‍♀️

4 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Did you have face a bunch of mayo? I'm sorry. Bad things happen to good people sometimes.  ?‍♀️

LOL, thankfully, it was a stand-alone display on the end aisle. I almost had a close encounter with mayo while looking for seafood sauce though.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:46 PM, NotQuiteMotY said:

It does happen, though. Admittedly, I'd have mentioned it before I got to someone's house for dinner...

Seriously, I went 30 years happily eating eggs in all forms and then developed an egg white allergy. I think I'd be vilified by some of the posters here, judging by the comments! Not only did it develop suddenly, but I can eat it in some forms but not others. It depends on proportion and preparation. I was reading this thread while eating a muffin baked with beaten egg, because of how the baking process affects the proteins, but I can't eat an omelette, for instance. If someone serves me something with egg white in it, I adapt accordingly; I eat it if I can, eat around it if I can't, try a small bite to see if I react if I'm not sure and it's prepared in a similar way to things I know I can tolerate. It sucks.

I know I'm late to this, but I'd just ask not to have something and if they ask, state that it doesn't agree with you or you have an intolerance. If they still bug you, then give them details. :) Most restaurants are probably used to accomodating quirks and preferences and are willing to unless it's something like asking for no onions in French onion soup, at least in my experience.

I think it really depends on the allergy... My son has an apparently mild allergy to a particular fish. I just read ingredients, ask questions, and make sure I have Benadryl on hand in case of cross-contamination. There's only so much you can do in some cases.

I don't get the parsnip dislike! I love those things in soups and with roasts!

Ah, the mayo wars... You know, I clicked into the Duggar forum, saw the "hot" thread, and wondered who was pregnant. Then I saw that it was the Dillards and assumed one of them had done something dumb or offensive. I'm relieved it's just a food digression!

And for the record? No on Miracle Whip. Mayo yes, in reasonable quantities. :D

My boyfriend is going through something similar to your experience with eggs but with dairy (based on your post after this, discussing shopping). We don't think it's a full  blown allergy like it sounds like you have, but he's gone from being a super free wheeling eater to coming off as picky, and he hates it.

He's lactose intolerant, but there are a lot of exceptions, which he is learning well... very aged cheeses and heavily processed cheeses (like Kraft singles) are okay. Butter is fine too, and homemade yogurt. Milk, cream, desserts, and most cheeses are no-nos though. It used to just be a day or two of tummy troubles when he ate dairy, but now we're keeping benedryl on us for swelling/itching and vomiting and pain happens too. It's just getting worse and he's playing it safer and safer. This started in his forties.

I'm really not a fan of using the term "allergy" liberally. This summer, we brought a jar of peanut butter with us to my MILs house and she proceeded to guilt the heck out of us because one of the nephews who was also coming over had a "peanut allergy." We vaguely remembered this but felt terrible and got rid of the peanut butter. Sure enough, said nephew gets there and his mom's reaction was "Oh yeah, he's due to try peanuts again, I'll bring that up to his doctor." It was nothing like deadly peanut allergies, and she went on to explain that she checks labels but it's not a life or death reaction and OF COURSE we could have peanut butter in the house. I felt really emotionally drained by the whole thing. 

Boyfriend and I don't call his lactose problem an allergy. I've been told that even my penicillin reaction doesn't technically qualify as an allergy, although it may depending on how dangerous my reaction to it is. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I think it's important to use that terminology correctly. My MIL is a repeat offender of using the term "allergy" incorrectly (she's the worst stereotype of incorrectly describing herself as having Celiac's disease) and she's normally a lovely person but this subject has been driving me crazy lately, if you can't tell, haha.

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Oh gosh. Wipes drool of tablet. 

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I almost went to Food For Less today!  I'll keep an eye out when I go tomorrow or Monday.

My boyfriend is going through something similar to your experience with eggs but with dairy (based on your post after this, discussing shopping). We don't think it's a full  blown allergy like it sounds like you have, but he's gone from being a super free wheeling eater to coming off as picky, and he hates it.
He's lactose intolerant, but there are a lot of exceptions, which he is learning well... very aged cheeses and heavily processed cheeses (like Kraft singles) are okay. Butter is fine too, and homemade yogurt. Milk, cream, desserts, and most cheeses are no-nos though. It used to just be a day or two of tummy troubles when he ate dairy, but now we're keeping benedryl on us for swelling/itching and vomiting and pain happens too. It's just getting worse and he's playing it safer and safer. This started in his forties.
I'm really not a fan of using the term "allergy" liberally. This summer, we brought a jar of peanut butter with us to my MILs house and she proceeded to guilt the heck out of us because one of the nephews who was also coming over had a "peanut allergy." We vaguely remembered this but felt terrible and got rid of the peanut butter. Sure enough, said nephew gets there and his mom's reaction was "Oh yeah, he's due to try peanuts again, I'll bring that up to his doctor." It was nothing like deadly peanut allergies, and she went on to explain that she checks labels but it's not a life or death reaction and OF COURSE we could have peanut butter in the house. I felt really emotionally drained by the whole thing. 
Boyfriend and I don't call his lactose problem an allergy. I've been told that even my penicillin reaction doesn't technically qualify as an allergy, although it may depending on how dangerous my reaction to it is. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I think it's important to use that terminology correctly. My MIL is a repeat offender of using the term "allergy" incorrectly (she's the worst stereotype of incorrectly describing herself as having Celiac's disease) and she's normally a lovely person but this subject has been driving me crazy lately, if you can't tell, haha.
I see where you're coming from. I have foods that I avoid because they give me tummy troubles/acne/cough. Nothing life threatening, but they are uncomfortable. I do look for menu items free of them and ask for substitutions, but I never say it's an allergy unless the restaurant was already specifically set up to handle allergies and asked about it and therefore had an easy protocol. Sometimes it's degree of exposure too, so if I allowed an exception for some reason (weaknesses!) I might be a bit more strict on it for a few days.
Most of my newer friends don't even know I avoid certain foods because I just don't think it's worth bringing up.

Cheese whiz on celery is amazing! I think it’s a Canadian thing though the American Cheese Whiz comes in a different kind of jar but tastes similar. My husband did briefly try to convince me that it was the same as pimento cheese, and it is very much not.

I had to go look up Arky's homeschooling laws.  They are practically non-existent.  No testing required.  There are no educational requirements for an Arky homeschool.  No monitoring by the state.  
http://www.arkansased.gov/public/userfiles/Learning_Services/Charter and Home School/Home School-Division of Learning Services/FACT_SHEET.pdf
The state does have the Arkansas Virtual Academy. It is public school with teachers, books and even loaner computer equipment for lower income families.

For the love of Rufus I hope all of those undereducated sotdrt grads have rhe sense to use this program. I am particularly looking at you, Jill.

7 hours ago, SamuraiKatz said:

The state does have the Arkansas Virtual Academy. It is public school with teachers, books and even loaner computer equipment for lower income families.

For the love of Rufus I hope all of those undereducated sotdrt grads have rhe sense to use this program. I am particularly looking at you, Jill.

Teachers and books, surely you jest!

My grandma used to make this chocolate mayonnaise cake that was the best. I've considered trying to figure out how to do a vegan version but the vegan mayo has a weird chemical taste and I don't think it would turn out right. 

7 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

My grandma used to make this chocolate mayonnaise cake that was the best. I've considered trying to figure out how to do a vegan version but the vegan mayo has a weird chemical taste and I don't think it would turn out right. 

Try Just Mayo! I'm not even vegan, just try to eat as few animal products as I reasonably can (vegetarian for 12+ years), and I will never buy regular mayo again. Just Mayo is delicious, and I can recognize all of the ingredients except like the two at the very end. Even my very carnivorous parents loved it and buy it now. They mostly use it for "lighter" potato salads and things like that since it's about 3/4 the calories of regular mayo... they haven't completely given up on the real stuff, but it's good enough for them to use in recipes where you really taste the mayo! 

@NakedKnees I think when we switch over to medications it’s a whole nother ballpark. I had unpleasant reactions to sulfa drugs. Not sure that it was an allergy but I don’t want to take it again and so the doctor recommended I just say so. There are alternatives. And in some sort of emergency scenario I don’t want to find out the extremity.

9 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@NakedKnees I think when we switch over to medications it’s a whole nother ballpark. I had unpleasant reactions to sulfa drugs. Not sure that it was an allergy but I don’t want to take it again and so the doctor recommended I just say so. There are alternatives. And in some sort of emergency scenario I don’t want to find out the extremity.

Especially, my understanding of many reactions/allergies is that they can get worse with exposure (this isn't always the case for things that are developed in early childhood, as careful exposure CAN help with those allergies).  Basically, as your body starts to recognize the substance more quickly, it can respond with more fervor and potentially create more severe responses each time. Like you said, in an emergency you wouldn't want to find out that's how your body responds. 

1 hour ago, Ms. Brightside said:

Try Just Mayo! I'm not even vegan, just try to eat as few animal products as I reasonably can (vegetarian for 12+ years), and I will never buy regular mayo again. Just Mayo is delicious, and I can recognize all of the ingredients except like the two at the very end. Even my very carnivorous parents loved it and buy it now. They mostly use it for "lighter" potato salads and things like that since it's about 3/4 the calories of regular mayo... they haven't completely given up on the real stuff, but it's good enough for them to use in recipes where you really taste the mayo! 

I second this. Just Mayo is so good! Hellman's tried to sue them out of existence for being too good. They recognized stiff competition when they saw it. We never buy "real" mayonnaise anymore. It can be sorta hard to find, but it's worth the effort. We get it at Whole Foods.

@AliceInFundyland and @Ms. Brightside - you're both totally right about the medication "allergy" question, I was just too lazy to expand on that in my previous post.

It's interesting- I use "adverse reaction" when I'm talking to doctors in the US because they know what that means and they know that what I've gone through is different from what they'd call an "allergy," but in Chile I use "alergia" (allergy) because it's considerably less common here, and medical alert bracelets aren't really a thing either, so yeah... definitely don't want to learn how bad it can be from trial and error! The reaction I had was the most painful thing I've ever been through and self preservation matters.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived