IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

20 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I must point out that fry sauce does not just mayo and ketchup. It generally also has pickles and other spices. The best fry sauce is it Crown Burger and even has little pickles in it that you can see

The fry sauce around here usually does have other things in it besides just mayo and ketchup, but usually there are no pickles. There might be one or two places that make it with pickle, but they're the exception rather than the norm. I imagine that varies from area to area.

Most places around here make their own sauce and serve it in a squeeze bottle or in little cups with lids. A few places provide Litehouse brand in little sealed cups.

Spoiler

download.jpg.65901428b6d78971bd5756fab0b169aa.jpg

210px-Pink_Fry_Sauce_Cropped.jpg.173f6d5bde20f1598d463573f5907bd4.jpg

27964742291_7e528a39db_c.jpg.77a913158c90e1066a3561eba4144149.jpg1441899131_13558_1ozFrySauce(2).jpg.d75f4c79f274bbc2f0398fe571a6b02b.jpg

Like I said (or tried to say :pb_wink: ); it's cool how things are eaten in different ways in different places. :pb_smile:

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

If they get divorced I could see him saying he gets to have a say in their education too. 

As any good parent should do.  The fact that he has an education will come up at some point, I bet....how could her homeschooling be tolerable for someone outside of SOTDRT circles?

(I am aware homeschooling can be done properly, but we're talking Duggar style here, not Cathy Arndt.)

He makes stupid life choices imo, but just the fact that he went to college means he knows the baseline of education his boys need in a way a Duggar boy never will.  Sadly I think this will just make worldly education more evil to JB and Michelle rather than upping their game for those kids they still have at the dining room table.

3 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

hahah yes! I have a daughter myself(first time mama)  and oh my goodness, she's constantly on the move. Getting a picture of her now is like wrestling a bear cat. She will sit/stand still for about 30 seconds for a picture but after that she wants to be moving and playing, and giggling at all the animals she sees (girlie LOVES dogs)  Poor munchkin is teething though and its been a lot tougher than usual. (yay for molars. :( ) Any tips from the mamas out there?

Aw, poor little munchkin! Any cold and soft food - yogurt, apple sauce, ice cream - could help soothe her gums, as could cold wash cloths or bibs. You could try cold teething rings (if you haven’t already) too. Tylenol is what usually works best for my daughter though. We try not to use it too often, but if she’s seriously miserable overnight then we give her some to help her (and us) sleep. 

And molars are the absolute worst. I think my daughter (who’ll be 23 months next week) is working on her second set of molars now. Either that or she’s turned into a tiny demon child from Hell just for the fun of it. :pb_lol:

Hang in there and hopefully those molars come through soon!

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Sadly, I think if they do end up divorced, Derick will have little or nothing to do with those kids. He seems to resent their very presence.

I think it's because he's unhappy in general that he seems to resent them but it's really hard to know.   It's possible that once he chucked the fundie facade, including getting a divorce, he might be happier and be able engage with his kids better without the fundie/Jill/Duggar baggage.    

The biggest obstacle I see to his involvement with his children after a divorce is not Derek himself but actually JB, to protect his grandkids against his gone back to mainstream rogue ex son-in-law.  Because I agree that in the event of a divorce, JB and J'chelle will circle the wagons around their daughter. 

Just like @formergothardite says, JB will never admit that he messed up both in transferring his authority to Derek and how he raised his daughter.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Sadly, I think if they do end up divorced, Derick will have little or nothing to do with those kids. He seems to resent their very presence.

I would put money on him feeling trapped and overwhelmed now.  But he has parents who were involved in his life, a mother he respects who I cannot imagine being okay with him being an absentee father...but more than that...

There is no reason to believe he doesn't love his boys and wouldn't continue to be a part of their lives.  I think that's a huge leap from anything we've seen.  In fact a lot of people find it much easier to parent with shared custody than within the same house where they are unhappy in their relationship.

In other Duggar food related news, I was at a Halloween party yesterday and one of my colleagues (from Alabama) out of the blue started discussing his prize tater tot casserole recipe--it involves baked beans & season hamburger meat. No cream of mushroom soup.

4 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

The biggest obstacle I see to his involvement with his children after a divorce is not Derek himself but actually JB, to protect his grandkids against his gone back to mainstream rogue ex son-in-law.

Unless they grease a judge I cannot see Derek at least not getting joint legal custody (if not physical) and proper education for the kids.  

JB's stranglehold on those kids wouldn't survive regular, if not equal, time with Derek's family and going to school.  The vacuum seal is broken and you can't insulate.

11 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

As any good parent should do.  The fact that he has an education will come up at some point, I bet....how could her homeschooling be tolerable for someone outside of SOTDRT circles?

I suspect regardless of whether they stay married or not, homeschooling will be an issue eventually.  I can't  see how he will not notice when Jill's SOTDRT approach effects the kids educationally. 

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

In other Duggar food related news, I was at a Halloween party yesterday and one of my colleagues (from Alabama) out of the blue started discussing his prize tater tot casserole recipe--it involves baked beans & season hamburger meat. No cream of mushroom soup.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but given the two options I'd go Duggar.

If DD is miserable, I think the root of that misery is Duugarville and how what happened (or did not happen in the TTH and before) has affected HIS life. Jill's limitations are clearly the result of how she was raised and what was withheld from her along the way. As much as DD is a dud, so is Jill. They both were sold a false bill of goods.

5 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I suspect regardless of whether they stay married or not, homeschooling will be an issue eventually.  I can't  see how he will not notice when Jill's SOTDRT approach effects the kids educationally. 

I fully agree with this.  He doesn't need to kick off the drama now because they are so little but I absolutely see him forcing the issue to either send them to school or force her to use an academically appropriate curriculum which she doesn't have the education to administer so either way the kids end up in school.

The first time he references the kids going to college I assumed he never intended to have them attend Duggar Academy K-12.

19 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Unless they grease a judge I cannot see Derek at least not getting joint legal custody (if not physical) and proper education for the kids.  

JB's stranglehold on those kids wouldn't survive regular, if not equal, time with Derek's family and going to school.  The vacuum seal is broken and you can't insulate.

I agree that Derek would stand to get joint custody (legal and physical) as well as have a say in the kids' education.  Plus time with Derek's family would mean they would not totally insulated within Duggarland.  

But I wouldn't put it past JB to make it difficult anyway.   It's likely that Jill would be living within or around the TTH with the kids and under his "umbrella of protection", so he might take it to mean that he has a say in the kid's lives, more than he is entitled to.   The Duggars aren't the brightest bunch.  JB may be shrewd in certain ways but as shown with the Joshgates he and J'chelle made some pretty stupid blunders that show that they don't get how the world works outside of the TTH.  And that includes the legal system.  If they actually went the legal route in dealing with the molestations, Josh would actually have been protected from the information coming out.

ETA: It's more what goes on outside of the courtroom that I am concerned about.  

19 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

That version of TTC sounds much more palatable.

19 hours ago, Kailash said:

I’m not a picky eater. I don’t eat organ meats or escargot. And nothing live. I think that’s it. I am a bit weird about certain canned foods. Like olives- I feel like I can taste the can. Same with water chestnuts. But I’m one who will not drink Aquafina or Dasani water. They taste terrible to me. I prefer non clorinated, filtered tap water.

eta: I once tasted a tradional Swedish dish of I believe fermented fish. No thanks! And no maggot cheese for me thanks. ?

i had head cheese in maui and it was warm and it was delightful :D

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

i am trying to arrange for my 50 th in four years (soon to be three in fourteen days) a trip to Graceland, and Savannah and Nashville...Alabama seems like a nice place as well. 

46 minutes ago, nst said:

.Alabama seems like a nice place as well. 

Not a sentence I hear often. : )

[sorry, Bama folks]

On 10/31/2018 at 2:31 PM, nokidsmom said:

This is where I discovered MW, in a friend's house and they called it mayonnaise.   Experienced the same thing, getting a completely different taste than I expected. 

I had a lady freak out and I had to give her a refund as the manager at my restaurant once. She asked for mayo on her sandwich.  I put it in. 

She got dressing instead. Register said mayo and I think it is Devil's Goo so I had no idea we didn't have actual mayo...it was a mess. Literally. She threw it. 

That was the day I learned there is apparently a much bigger difference than I had any clue about.

On 10/30/2018 at 11:15 AM, PennySycamore said:

@LilMissMetaphor,  I don't mind accommodating people with actual allergies or strong food dislikes, but I have a problem with people that just decide all of a sudden that they are "allergic" to some food that they've been eating apparently with no problem for years.  My mother-in-law was in her 50s when suddenly she could not eat chicken anymore.  She had to eat salmon because she was "allergic".  Of course, I found out about her "allergy" when I served chicken for dinner one evening when they were visiting.  Her little boy aka my husband also developed an "allergy" to chicken sometime in his 50s.  It didn't last though.  He likes chicken too much.   I do like for my m-i-l.

It does happen, though. Admittedly, I'd have mentioned it before I got to someone's house for dinner...

Seriously, I went 30 years happily eating eggs in all forms and then developed an egg white allergy. I think I'd be vilified by some of the posters here, judging by the comments! Not only did it develop suddenly, but I can eat it in some forms but not others. It depends on proportion and preparation. I was reading this thread while eating a muffin baked with beaten egg, because of how the baking process affects the proteins, but I can't eat an omelette, for instance. If someone serves me something with egg white in it, I adapt accordingly; I eat it if I can, eat around it if I can't, try a small bite to see if I react if I'm not sure and it's prepared in a similar way to things I know I can tolerate. It sucks.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:25 PM, OutoftheShadows said:

So, legit question for all you foodie Free Jingerites...I have sensory issues, (so do one of my sons and my mother-Hello, genetics!), and there are a handful of foods that I simply cannot eat. Coconut and mushrooms in any form being two of the top offenders. No, I'm not allergic. I won't die if I eat them. I will however, vomit said food up immediately, probably across the dining table, which is enjoyable for exactly no one. My throat and stomach just say, "NOT TODAY, BITCHES". My family and close friends know this about me and it's no biggie. Don't feed it to me if you don't want to be suddenly wearing surprise barf. 

BUT, when we're out at a restaurant or whatever, I just say, when I ask the server, that I'm allergic. They could give a rat's ass about my personal issues, and just want to turn the table over as quickly as possible. They don't care. I get it. They don't need or want a long explanation of why I can or cannot eat this or that. I do make a point to deliberately avoid things that might be questionable; anything with the word "tropical" in it is usually a bad idea. See also: Salisbury Steak.

I know I'm late to this, but I'd just ask not to have something and if they ask, state that it doesn't agree with you or you have an intolerance. If they still bug you, then give them details. :) Most restaurants are probably used to accomodating quirks and preferences and are willing to unless it's something like asking for no onions in French onion soup, at least in my experience.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:55 PM, Kailash said:

If my child had life threatening allergies I doubt I would ever eat out. It’s so scary. Too much of a risk to take.

I think it really depends on the allergy... My son has an apparently mild allergy to a particular fish. I just read ingredients, ask questions, and make sure I have Benadryl on hand in case of cross-contamination. There's only so much you can do in some cases.

On 10/31/2018 at 3:39 PM, Audrey2 said:

I have been trying to stay out of the mayonnaise culture wars but cannot resist any longer.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Duke's Mayonnaise. I like to read a lot of Southern authors and it seems like Mary Kay Andrews and Haywood Smith especially are always talking about I use Dukes on a sandwich or I mixed this with dukes. Unfortunately, I have never tasted it. Could one of you who has tasted it and is possibly from the south tell me how Dukes taste different than Hellmann's or Best Foods? I am not picking on Duke's, I'm just trying to find out what tastes different and makes it really special? It's kind of like me trying to explain shredded chicken sandwiches to anyone who did not grow up in Ohio... 

As for my no thank you foods, there are two: parsnips and hard-boiled eggs. I do not like the smell when you crack the shell. I do not like the slimy white that slithers around my mouth and down my throat. I don't like the gritty stinky yellow that tastes like something died in my mouth and feels like sand against my tongue.

I don't get the parsnip dislike! I love those things in soups and with roasts!

Ah, the mayo wars... You know, I clicked into the Duggar forum, saw the "hot" thread, and wondered who was pregnant. Then I saw that it was the Dillards and assumed one of them had done something dumb or offensive. I'm relieved it's just a food digression!

And for the record? No on Miracle Whip. Mayo yes, in reasonable quantities. :D

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I fully agree with this.  He doesn't need to kick off the drama now because they are so little but I absolutely see him forcing the issue to either send them to school or force her to use an academically appropriate curriculum which she doesn't have the education to administer so either way the kids end up in school.

The first time he references the kids going to college I assumed he never intended to have them attend Duggar Academy K-12.

There are many homeschool programs that don’t require a great deal of education or advanced skills for the parent to administer. There are home school cooperatives that can provide support, as well as many computer based options with teachers and tutors who will help. California, for example, offers a completely virtual free  K- 12 program to any family that wants it.  There are also some very, very good Christian homeschool programs - that are even excellent for secular subjects like math and spelling.  

( Yes, I know, this is full of grammatical errors. Ironic. But I have a headache and don’t care  ) 

2 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

There are many homeschool programs that don’t require a great deal of education or advanced skills for the parent to administer.

There are a lot of different curriculum out there.  We can agree to disagree on who should administer it.  I do not think someone as woefully uneducated as a Duggar could properly homeschool regardless of the program - you cannot teach that which do not understand, IMO.

Obviously if they remediated their poor education on their own and brought themselves up to speed, even if on their own, that's a different matter entirely.  

Any other New Englanders out there?  My mother still mails it to all of her daughters who have moved away!

image.png.3401afe1faee58226c94ae9cf5cdfbc3.png

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Since he went to college himself, that's going to up the educational requirements for his own kids in his mind.  Not surprised at that.  Actually when I heard during their engagement that DD was a college grad, I thought "great, that gives me hope that at least some of the Duggar grandkids will have a real education."  

I have long thought the next Duggar scandal is going to involve Derick, if it does then I can see Jim Bob being fine with him and Jill divorcing. Jeremy, Ben and Austin may share the same beliefs as Derick but they for the most part stay out of controversy, Derick seems to thrive in causing it.

I do believe he loves his boys, he doesn't share the same bond with them, compared to Ben, even when he tries in videos it always looks forced. If they did divorce I think he would still see the boys and I believe he would want their education to be better than the one Jill got. 

I also wonder where in their child bearing cycle Derrick will "break." I believe Derrick loves his son's and wanted to be a father. However, I don't think he was raised Quiverful, more mainstream fundie. I think if he and Jill had had a year or two of marriage, "child-free", been able to live a year in Central America "child-free" Derrick would be relatively happier and more content than he is now. Another pregnancy or two may finally be the breaking point. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived