Jump to content
IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook


HerNameIsBuffy

Recommended Posts

Great Heading!

And since it's 7AM here and I literally gagged when I opened @Koolaids Tinner photo, I'm suggesting a trip to the prayer closest for said poster.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SassyPants said:

Great Heading!

And since it's 7AM here and I literally gagged when I opened @Koolaids Tinner photo, I'm suggesting a trip to the prayer closest for said poster.

Am I the only one impressed AF that they got the layers so even?

  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe I need to send a can of that canned Thanksgiving dinner with my husband when he goes to Tanzania Thanksgiving week.

  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw Jill's newest recipe share is a very mushy and unappetizing apple "crisp" so that's about right.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just going to say it. Meeeechelle failed at her wife training with this one.  My grandma supplied me with a hope chest and the ability to cook anything at the age of 8.  I love a good crisp, but that doesn't seem appealing. 

  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Am I the only one impressed AF that they got the layers so even?

I wonder how it was done. I don't think it would come out of a can in one piece. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I wonder how it was done. I don't think it would come out of a can in one piece. 

they should have canned it in the type of can you could open a slit in the bottom and would just plop out - like the old Ocean Spray jellied cranberry cans.

I was riveted watching that guy eat in the review - I've never seen anyone so easy to please.

  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

they should have canned it in the type of can you could open a slit in the bottom and would just plop out - like the old Ocean Spray jellied cranberry cans.

I was riveted watching that guy eat in the review - I've never seen anyone so easy to please.

I was just going to say pretty much the same things, @HerNameIsBuffy!  Cans used to be made so you could remove both the top and bottom so it was easy to take off both ends or just open the bottom of the can a little so the contents would slide right out.  I miss those cans!  They were great for thick things like cranberry sauce, tomato paste, and,  well, condensed soups.  

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PennySycamore said:

I was just going to say pretty much the same things, @HerNameIsBuffy!  Cans used to be made so you could remove both the top and bottom so it was easy to take off both ends or just open the bottom of the can a little so the contents would slide right out.  I miss those cans!  They were great for thick things like cranberry sauce, tomato paste, and,  well, condensed soups.  

Exactly - the change took away a helpful design feature.

  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are there any cans that aren't possible to open from both ends? The bottom might be a little harder to open, but it's still doable. Sometimes if I'm not paying attention I'll open a can from the bottom.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Are there any cans that aren't possible to open from both ends? The bottom might be a little harder to open, but it's still doable. Sometimes if I'm not paying attention I'll open a can from the bottom.

Yes, some of them the bottoms are so rounded you can't use a can opener on them.

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SadieJane said:

Meeeechelle failed at her wife training with this one.  My grandma supplied me with a hope chest and the ability to cook anything at the age of 8.  

Nope. Some people don't want to learn to cook (even if it's part of "wife training") beyond opening some cans. My mother never tried to teach me because I wasn't interested in learning - I was much more interested in rebuilding engines and going to stock car/sprint car races. 

I know how to cook, and I hate it. White-Hot-HATE cooking. I can cook anything I put my mind to, and receive compliments on many of the dishes that I make. I just hate every second of doing so.

 

  • Upvote 10
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Nope. Some people don't want to learn to cook (even if it's part of "wife training") beyond opening some cans. My mother never tried to teach me because I wasn't interested in learning - I was much more interested in rebuilding engines and going to stock car/sprint car races. 

I know how to cook, and I hate it. White-Hot-HATE cooking. I can cook anything I put my mind to, and receive compliments on many of the dishes that I make. I just hate every second of doing so.

 

Not learning how to cook was no more an option for the Duggar girls than not reading the Bible or not worshipping at the altar of Jim Bob-

Don't want to was not allowed in that household.

  • Upvote 23
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Nope. Some people don't want to learn to cook (even if it's part of "wife training") beyond opening some cans. My mother never tried to teach me because I wasn't interested in learning - I was much more interested in rebuilding engines and going to stock car/sprint car races. 

I know how to cook, and I hate it. White-Hot-HATE cooking. I can cook anything I put my mind to, and receive compliments on many of the dishes that I make. I just hate every second of doing so.

I'm going to take a guess here and say you're probably not trying your luck as a food blogger, are you? :pb_lol:

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Not learning how to cook was no more an option for the Duggar girls than not reading the Bible or not worshipping at the altar of Jim Bob-

Don't want to was not allowed in that household.

From what we've seen of Michelle's cooking Jill did learn how to cook....like her mother.

Which is unfortunately is where her  bar is set.  She has the opportunity now to expand her knowledge and hopefully will do so.  

  • Upvote 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

From what we've seen of Michelle's cooking Jill did learn how to cook....like her mother.

Which is unfortunately is where her  bar is set.  She has the opportunity now to expand her knowledge and hopefully will do so.  

Here's hoping she picks up a few recipe books and tries something new. Seems like the majority of her experience revolves around canned goods and easy to make foods. Nothing wrong with that in moderation, of course. She's a SAHM, I'm sure she could find some time to crack open a book or two and try something new. 

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That' s the same I think when somebody says, everyone once thought she'd turn out to be the next Michelle. How she dissapointed us and what a terrible careless mother she is. Well duh - Michelle only excelled in pushing out babies - not caring for them.

21 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

From what we've seen of Michelle's cooking Jill did learn how to cook....like her mother.

Which is unfortunately is where her  bar is set.  She has the opportunity now to expand her knowledge and hopefully will do so.  

 

  • Upvote 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, squiddysquid said:

That' s the same I think when somebody says, everyone once thought she'd turn out to be the next Michelle. How she dissapointed us and what a terrible careless mother she is. Well duh - Michelle only excelled in pushing out babies - not caring for them.

 

Agreed. I think the fact that the shitty parenting, education, housecleaning, work ethnic and time management  which were blatantly obvious to anyone watching their reality show, always flew in the face of the words they shoveled down the public's throat is what made them seem like like such a farce. 

  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think cooking is so satisfying. I have a hard time understanding when people say they hate it. I can see hating to clean up afterwards. But finding a recipe, making it, and eating it fulfills something in me that a frozen, premade food never could. 

  • Upvote 25
  • Downvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kailash said:

I think cooking is so satisfying. I have a hard time understanding when people say they hate it. I can see hating to clean up afterwards. But finding a recipe, making it, and eating it fulfills something in me that a frozen, premade food never could. 

My enjoyment of cooking increased 10 fold once I started listening to my mom's voice in my head telling me to clean as I go along.  

I agree with you though.  I find something emotionally satisfying about the whole process of cooking and then enjoying it / feeding my kids.

  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found this being shared on Facebook

Spoiler

 

FB_IMG_1540762686768.

 

Edited by Glasgowghirl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.