IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

On 11/3/2018 at 3:53 AM, Betty Haines said:

Kraft Foods use to make various cheese spreads that came in six-ounce glass jars that could be used as juice glasses when empty. The “Pimento Cheese” spread looked very similar to Thousand Island salad dressing in color, so that might be what some of you are recalling.

We always had celery stuffed with the blue cheese spread. One of the things we had only on Thanksgiving, along with creamed onions, jellied cranberry sauce, mashed rutabagas, green bean casserole and heat 'n serve rolls. None of which I want at any other time and all of which I want on Thanksgiving. It's kind of like not liking hotdogs much, which I don't, and craving one as soon as I'm on the boardwalk or at a baseball game, which I do.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teachers and books, surely you jest!

No joke :-) This is a cost free way for fundies to keep their kids away from the Godless heathen public school kids. It gives some fundie kids a chance at a better education than Switched on School House, Abeka or Bob Jones University homeschool curriculum.

The program was originally designed to increase class choice for smaller rural schools. My kids took some of their classes this way...at the evil public school as part of the school day.

I do not like the fact the registering your intent to homeschool plus standardized testing has been eliminated. It keot sime at risk kids on the radar.

Eta: The program also provides a homeschool opportunity for sevular home schoolers as well.

1 hour ago, SamuraiKatz said:

No joke ? This is a cost free way for fundies to keep their kids away from the Godless heathen public school kids. It gives some fundie kids a chance at a better education than Switched on School House, Abeka or Bob Jones University homeschool curriculum.

The program was originally designed to increase class choice for smaller rural schools. My kids took some of their classes this way...at the evil public school as part of the school day.

I do not like the fact the registering your intent to homeschool plus standardized testing has been eliminated. It keot sime at risk kids on the radar.

Eta: The program also provides a homeschool opportunity for sevular home schoolers as well.

Unfortunately, the educational goal of the fundie crowd seems to be very basic reading , writing and math skills. They seem to educate their kids to be obedient, unquestioning parental servants and clones. Now Derick might have different goals for his boys, and this program might be something that would provide that balance between Jillism to public school, IDK, but for most Duggars this would offer far too much outside world education to be a legitimate educational option.

@NakedKnees,  very hard cheeses have very little lactose and butter has even less.  The lactose in yogurt is fermented. That's why these foods are tolerated by those who are lactose-intolerant.  

What I don't understand is this new milk that supposedly doesn't have a particular protein in it.  Which protein is it?

The discussion of education reminded me of this that I've been reading today:

The Dumbest Idea I've Heard in My Adult Lifetime

The A2 milk? It's all in the genetics of the cows and what proteins they produce. Per a news article on it...

"A2 refers to the beta-casein proteins found in milk.

Depending on a cow's genetic make-up, it can produce either completely A1 beta-casein, a combination of both, or completely A2 beta-casein.

The two proteins alleles are almost identical but there are small variations and, while there is no strong scientific research, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest milk containing just the A2 protein is easier for some people to digest."

@SamuraiKatz, my state has a k-12 virtual academy like the Arkansas one you described. My nieces and nephew all graduated from it, and the last 3 kids were able to take classes for dual credit (high school and college). At least one niece started at the university as a sophmore. 

I don't think I could ever be as good a "learning coach" as my sister (that's what they called the parent or other adult who helps the kids at home). I plan on asking her for help tutoring my kids if they end up taking calculus in 8 or 9 years. My brain got a bit mushy on anything after trigonometry and pre-calculus. :pb_wink:

10 hours ago, patsymae said:

We always had celery stuffed with the blue cheese spread. One of the things we had only on Thanksgiving, along with creamed onions, jellied cranberry sauce, mashed rutabagas, green bean casserole and heat 'n serve rolls. None of which I want at any other time and all of which I want on Thanksgiving. It's kind of like not liking hotdogs much, which I don't, and craving one as soon as I'm on the boardwalk or at a baseball game, which I do.

I saw the neatest thing--ground turkey meatloaf shaped like a turkey.  Had a glaze/basting on it and looked pretty cool.  I do not like anything made with ground turkey at all, so there's no chance this will be made in my kitchen, but it made for quite a picture.  

Ok, so I am only on page 3 of 20 of this thread so far and usually I never comment midway through until I reach the end.

But jesus, that turkey teddy!!! And just as I was sitting down to have my tea and lunch, take a short break and scroll though FJ - big mistake.  If I wasn't already vegetarian, I think that nasty teddy stitched together with the raw  turkey skin would turn me veggie anyway. That one was way worse than the canned chicken. Or maybe, I've now seen the canned chicken too often and I am de-sensitized to it at this point.

6 hours ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

That one was way worse than the canned chicken. Or maybe, I've now seen the canned chicken too often and I am de-sensitized to it at this point.

Thank you! I hadn't quite worked out why the turkey teddy bothered me more than the canned whole chicken does. I guess I've gotten so used to Steve I don't really see how gross he is anymore. 

3 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Thank you! I hadn't quite worked out why the turkey teddy bothered me more than the canned whole chicken does. I guess I've gotten so used to Steve I don't really see how gross he is anymore. 

The can chicken is called Steve.

Is he the new Rufus? Baby Rufus?

Chicken Jesus?

P.S. I might have had a glass of wine... or two

@squiddysquid, I believe Steve predates Rufus. Steve came to FJ courtesy of @OkToBeTakei before I became a member 3 years ago. Members who have been around longer can add more details, but I believe @OkToBeTakei posted pictures of the chicken in a kilt once?

Oh thanks!

So this isn't about the immaculate can chicken birth GIF?

Might have to grab a rescue ferret and do some research on kilt chicken Steve.

(a sentence that would only appear normal on FJ, I love you people!)

How are we on page 20 and nobody has pointed out that bear looks like it's made of dicks?! 

(Apologies if there's another perv here who already pointed this out and I missed it.)

9 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

How are we on page 20 and nobody has pointed out that bear looks like it's made of dicks?! 

(Apologies if there's another perv here who already pointed this out and I missed it.)

I cant believe I missed it. I am ashamed of myself. This is the stuff I normally notice.

5 hours ago, Evangeline said:

Someone has to post that gross teddy again so that I can verify :D

Watch out, if it is posted to often someone will eventually take it as an avatar which would be even scarier. 

(I was actually tempted to do so but it does not fit with my yummy nickname).

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Watch out, if it is posted to often someone will eventually take it as an avatar which would be even scarier. 

(I was actually tempted to do so but it does not fit with my yummy nickname).

I’m still considering doing this. Someone needs to carry on the proud legacy of disgusting chicken themed avatars started by @OkToBeTakei:pb_lol:

14 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

Someone has to post that gross teddy again so that I can verify :D

turkey teddy.jpg

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m still considering doing this. Someone needs to carry on the proud legacy of disgusting chicken themed avatars started by @OkToBeTakei:pb_lol:

I could not resist

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

turkey teddy.jpg

I could not resist

There must always be a Stark in Winterfell and there must always be a disgusting chicken avatar on FJ. It is known. I am so proud of you right now. :pb_lol:

10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

There must always be a Stark in Winterfell and there must always be a disgusting chicken avatar on FJ. It is known. I am so proud of you right now. :pb_lol:

You made my day. :) Thank you 

Can we drift thread to how bad it is waiting this long for the last season of GOT and how bad it will all be when it ends?

8 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

You made my day. :) Thank you 

Can we drift thread to how bad it is waiting this long for the last season of GOT and how bad it will all be when it ends?

It's been long enough I'll have to rewatch it all soon.

51 minutes ago, karen77 said:

IT does look like dicks! I can't unsee this now.

What kind of dicks have you people seen?!

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived