IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

I didn't know spirit week extended to law schools. I do think the pics of people dressing up like Riverdale characters is funny, as Wreck has to point out he didn't pick the themes, but from what I've heard Riverdale has lots of Nike moments!

I saw Jill posted another receipe...not horrible looking either. Wondering about what she says in the caption though. Hanging out with the family of someone you're interested in but have never met in person, before offically courting? Isn't that just asking for pieces of the heart to be given away to someone you could end up not marrying? 

5D6586C2-63BA-46BD-A0B6-C503A72B15C3.jpeg

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

The latest offering from Jill:

Pros:

The boys look adorable, Jill looks like a fairly normal 20 something mom, and the story is pretty cute. Also, the amazing side eye courtesy of Sam in that first photo. That little guy is just fantastic. 

Cons:

Jill isn’t a great writer (likely not entirely her fault because SOTDRT), so the caption isn’t as well written as it could have been. Also, Duggars voting (I know, I know, they have a right to vote and blah, blah, blah.)

And for those curious, I believe John won re-election:

https://m.facebook.com/MillerForConstable/

Awwwwe Sam’s side eye is beyond adorable!!

Derick seems to be looking to relive his life as a high school student and college student. He tried to do that by being a "missionary" in Central America with his family, now he is trying to relive the glory days of college by going to law school. He will never be happy unless he stops looking back and starts looking forward. 

Yeah, I always thought Derrick didn't quite get all of his "wanderlust" out of his system. However, we don't always get what we want in life. We just don't. I read an article about professional mountain climbers who had died mountain climbing and the families they left behind. One man's quote stood out to me, "I always felt that stupid mountain was more important to my father than we were." I really hope Derricks sons don't say the same thing about Derrick and his "mission" work. 

Her spaghetti pie does not look attractive but I'd eat it, I have made similar pasta bakes and while they don't look attractive they taste nice enough. 

I think the photo of the spaghetti pie is one of Jill's better food pictures.  

Also, was the homecoming photo from law school (as in, a current photo)?  I thought Derick was sharing a photo of from when he was an undergraduate, in his younger college days.  

2 hours ago, bella8050 said:

I saw Jill posted another receipe...not horrible looking either. Wondering about what she says in the caption though. Hanging out with the family of someone you're interested in but have never met in person, before offically courting? Isn't that just asking for pieces of the heart to be given away to someone you could end up not marrying? 

I think it's been well established that the whole heart pieces thing has nothing to do with protecting the kids but rather to show us heathens how superior their relationships are.

If we stopped being such sluts and married strangers instead, we could get a great husband who buys us chocolate milk and cyber bullies children too!

Wow!  Pop culture, guys in women's costumes, Riverdale!!!  I can't believe Derrick participated in this.  

That spirit week photo is definitely from law school.  Riverdale is only in its third season.  And it contains a lot of stuff  Derrick does not like.  

Also-Jill spent a bunch of time with Cathy and Dan before she even met Derrick?  

Wow, I think this is just truly hitting me now. Can you imagine how much pressure Jill must have felt when she finally met Derick in Nepal? Not only had she been talking to him and developing a relationship with him long distance, she had also been spending time with his mother and brother and developing a relationship with them - before ever even meeting him! What if she went to Nepal, met him, and had second thoughts? Realized they just didn't really click in person? She probably felt like she couldn't say no - she was already locked in!

Too late to add to my last post...but I remember the episode where Jill and JB went to Nepal and Jill said she thought she was in love with someone she never met. If she was meeting with Cathy it makes more sense now, of course she was talking up her precious Derek to Jill!  

23 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I think it's been well established that the whole heart pieces thing has nothing to do with protecting the kids but rather to show us heathens how superior their relationships are.

If we stopped being such sluts and married strangers instead, we could get a great husband who buys us chocolate milk and cyber bullies children too!

Josh Duggar's Incredibly Smug Courtship Special aired while I was spiraling in an abusive relationship.  I remember sitting on my couch crying, wondering if maybe I deserved this for "giving away my heart" or whatever garbage Josh and his cheap balloons for his alligator restaurant booth proposal were promoting.  

10 years later, all I can say is that I am WAY better off having only given a PIECE of my heart to that abusive asshole rather than having given my WHOLE heart to a man like Josh.   

FUN FACT: Emotionally speaking, healthy hearts are like livers: they can regrow themselves if pieces are removed.  Sometimes, they regrow healthier than the piece that was removed!  So I'm back to 100% heart...and Josh and Anna are still struggling to make what appears to be a mismatched marriage work.  

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Wow, I think this is just truly hitting me now. Can you imagine how much pressure Jill must have felt when she finally met Derick in Nepal? Not only had she been talking to him and developing a relationship with him long distance, she had also been spending time with his mother and brother and developing a relationship with them - before ever even meeting him! What if she went to Nepal, met him, and had second thoughts? Realized they just didn't really click in person? She probably felt like she couldn't say no - she was already locked in!

I've never thought of this before, but you're absolutely spot on.  I've had similar situations where a distance relationship quickly escalated into leading to marriage, and there was SO much pressure when we met the first time.  And it was SO incredibly difficult to say "Actually, I'm not really feeling it in person." or to watch the relationship come apart at the seams when we were finally together and suddenly realizing that in the same space, we don't jive the same.  

Even still, it took all of my strength to call it off, and the one time I did so cleanly was just this past year...which I was able to do mainly because I was an empowered 30 year old adult who had the experience with relationships to know what I was looking at.  In Jill's position, dealing with the flush and promise of first love?  I would have totally suppressed all that!  Doubly so if I believed I should just "Trust Jesus and Daddy" as opposed to trusting my own instincts.

The poor girl never stood a chance.  

3 hours ago, bella8050 said:

I didn't know spirit week extended to law schools. I do think the pics of people dressing up like Riverdale characters is funny, as Wreck has to point out he didn't pick the themes, but from what I've heard Riverdale has lots of Nike moments!

5D6586C2-63BA-46BD-A0B6-C503A72B15C3.jpeg

That post is such a jumbled mess.

16 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Did Jill make that pie or was it Cathy?

I think it's one of Derick's favorite dishes that Cathy taught Jill to make (and made for her) back when Derick was in Nepal.

So Jill made THIS pie.  But she's also telling a story of when Cathy made this recipe for her.  But it's Jill, so her manner of expressing herself is as much of a mess as the recipes she posts.  

Ah ok, I see now why I was confused. She says they had it last night but the recipe she links to takes us to 2 years ago and she says Cathy came over and made that particular pie.

This incarnation is pretty symmetrical, gotta give Jill some praise.  ?

7 hours ago, bella8050 said:

I didn't know spirit week extended to law schools.

It doesn’t. Derick went back to his high school. 

1 minute ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

So Derek is Al Bundy?

5 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Her spaghetti pie does not look attractive but I'd eat it, I have made similar pasta bakes and while they don't look attractive they taste nice enough. 

I would add garlic, spices and vegetables like bell pepper and shaded carrots and celery and squash.

5 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

No, it's definitely law school. Look at the second picture.

I think FJ needs a contest - an out Duggar the Duggars recipe contest.  I've got some that makes this thing look like it came from the kitchens of Gordon Ramsay.

Rules would be have to be something you actually make, like or your family likes - so not just googling for gross recipes you'd never meet.  And a can opener would need to be involved at some point.

Anyone else besides me have stuff you make from time to time that would be perfectly at home in a Duggar cook book?

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

No, it's definitely law school. Look at the second picture.

Ugh, you’re right. Razorback football is huge. I guess the law school gets into it too.

I went to her website to check out the actual recipe. It wasn’t at the top, so I searched for it. She had posted it in 2016 with a worse photo (so maybe she’s learning). But the recipe itself wasn’t there. Then I went to her Instagram post, and once I deciphered the instructions (I don’t use it much), I found that she had linked to the 2016 post. The recipe is a photo of Cathy’s stained recipe card!

E1905295-F266-4C5C-ACF1-4A71295D769B.jpeg

32 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think FJ needs a contest - an out Duggar the Duggars recipe contest.  I've got some that makes this thing look like it came from the kitchens of Gordon Ramsay.

Rules would be have to be something you actually make, like or your family likes - so not just googling for gross recipes you'd never meet.  And a can opener would need to be involved at some point.

Anyone else besides me have stuff you make from time to time that would be perfectly at home in a Duggar cook book?

Yes! One of my favourite meals from childhood is "macaroni casserole" . 

You take ground beef and cook it in a frying pan with some green peppers and mushrooms and onions and then you add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can or tomato soup and let that simmer. You cook some macaroni and drain it and mix it with a can of stewed tomatos. Then mix the frying pan contents with the noodles. Pour half of it in a really big casserole dish and layer with cheese (slices if I'm going oldschool but real cheese is delicious) then the rest of the noodle mix and a top layer of cheese. Put in the oven to back until the cheese gets bubbly. I love it. I guess some people would call it goulash. The important part is using both mushroom and tomato soup as the base.

Also,  haddock baked with cream of mushroom soup in the oven served with boiled potatoes and cold peas...from a can.  

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived