IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

11 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I went to her website to check out the actual recipe. It wasn’t at the top, so I searched for it. She had posted it in 2016 with a worse photo (so maybe she’s learning). But the recipe itself wasn’t there. Then I went to her Instagram post, and once I deciphered the instructions (I don’t use it much), I found that she had linked to the 2016 post. The recipe is a photo of Cathy’s stained recipe card!

E1905295-F266-4C5C-ACF1-4A71295D769B.jpeg

I recognize this dirty recipe card.  We've obviously circled this drain before.  

It's not to my taste but I can see it being something really white people might like.   It has that "church lady cookbook from 1965" quality to it.  

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I can beat you all, because my family has a recipe for cookies we call turds. Why? Because they look like turds. They're chocolate coconut cookies similar to macaroons and they are absolutely delicious. 

11 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Yes! One of my favourite meals from childhood is "macaroni casserole" . 

You take ground beef and cook it in a frying pan with some green peppers and mushrooms and onions and then you add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can or tomato soup and let that simmer. You cook some macaroni and drain it and mix it with a can of stewed tomatos. Then mix the frying pan contents with the noodles. Pour half of it in a really big casserole dish and layer with cheese (slices if I'm going oldschool but real cheese is delicious) then the rest of the noodle mix and a top layer of cheese. Put in the oven to back until the cheese gets bubbly. I love it. I guess some people would call it goulash. The important part is using both mushroom and tomato soup as the base.

Also,  haddock baked with cream of mushroom soup in the oven served with boiled potatoes and cold peas...from a can.  

That's what I'm talking about!

9 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

It's not to my taste but I can see it being something really white people might like.

It's impossible to be whiter than me and even I wondered why sour cream and not riccotta?

But just wait until you guys read my family's recipe for "Spanish rice."  Once I post it I'll need to apologize to everyone of Spanish descent who has ever lived.

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Oh, I can beat you all, because my family has a recipe for cookies we call turds. Why? Because they look like turds. They're chocolate coconut cookies similar to macaroons and they are absolutely delicious. 

That is my favorite flavor combo ever and I'm gonna need a recipe.  :)

12 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

My aunt made some cookies recently that we like sugar cookies only piped through a bay in a spiral shape.  The look like the poop emoji. I thought if you add some cocoa and make them chocolate they could be called "lil' shits".

Random but I wonder if Derrick has bad blood with JB & Michelle and if they hang out more at his mother’s than Michelle Duggar’s. I have reasons to believe JB Duggar, a man addicted to power & control, clashes with boisterous douchebag Derrick and doesn’t like seeing Jill evolve into wearing “sluttish” pants, an ebil nose ring (he wouldn’t dare let Meeeechelle try that), and start attending Cathy’s church instead. 

To me, I believe Jill started wearing pants after hanging out with Cathy, a pants wearing career woman, and bonding with her. I don’t know if the Derick & JB Duggar fiasco happened before or after that but it’s obvious to me that JB Duggar and Derick are having “power clashes” and I bet JB wasn’t happy with Golden Daughter Jill wearing pants and a nose ring.

I bet Cathy treats Jill like a daughter since she has never had one, too. Jill, an attention seeker, probably soaks that up since she never got much of it in a family of 19. Also, I think Cathy would adore & and give special attention to Jill’s babies more than Meeechelle since babies are no big special surprise to her.

Maybe I’m reading into it too much because I just am not BFFs with my MIL but I think it’s a sign of a big change for homesick Golden Daughter Jill to appear to spend more time with her MIL than her Mom or JB.

35 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

We call them haystacks.

35 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It's impossible to be whiter than me and even I wondered why sour cream and not riccotta?

But just wait until you guys read my family's recipe for "Spanish rice."  Once I post it I'll need to apologize to everyone of Spanish descent who has ever lived.

Ricotta!  I think you're thinking of the wrong sort of white.  (sarcasm, people)

I also feel like "Spanish Rice" is one of those godawful recipes that are in the old cookbooks of really white people.  My mom's recipe is pretty much Minute Rice, tinned tomato sauce, onions and frozen peas.  

Yes, this definitely needs ricotta! And some seasonings!  

My submission for the Duggar recipes would definitely be crockpot chicken and dumplings. It has refrigerated biscuit dough (looking at you Anna) and cream of chicken soup. It’s probably a nutritional nightmare,  but total Wintertime comfort food. 

1 minute ago, luv2laugh said:

I am late to this- was Derick not invited to John and Abbie’s wedding?

He was probably invited but he may not have been there. But I don't think anyone really knows for sure (unless I missed something). Josiah and Lauren haven't been in any photos so far and they didn't post a congrats video, but apparently they sang a duet at the wedding. I think if he wasn't there it was most likely just because he was too busy to make it. I really doubt they wouldn't have invited him, especially since Josh was there and was even in the wedding party. I feel like if they're cool with Josh, they must be cool with Derick!

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I really doubt they wouldn't have invited him

I agree with this.  They may not like him, Idk, but for a sibling's spouse to be specifically not invited is a HUGE deal and a line in the sand most people don't draw.  

Now, being kept off camera and out of shots by TLC that's totally plausible to me - but not shunned from the wedding until there is a rift so massive Jill being there would be surprising.

9 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I agree with this.  They may not like him, Idk, but for a sibling's spouse to be specifically not invited is a HUGE deal and a line in the sand most people don't draw.  

Now, being kept off camera and out of shots by TLC that's totally plausible to me - but not shunned from the wedding until there is a rift so massive Jill being there would be surprising.

And to add to this line of thinking, I doubt DD refused to or was too busy to attend. I abhor his beliefs, but I do not believe that he would be purposefully hurtful to Jill...at least I hope this would be the case.

On 11/7/2018 at 2:57 PM, justmissedquiver said:

Does anyone here remember seeing a "the feet loaf" ?Was it even here at FJ?  I can't remember.  

Ok, must not have been here, but it totally fits with the chiken/dicks teddy. I'm going to try to make it my avatar, but I am old and not all that tech savvy. Wish me luck.

Screenshot_20180831-210404_Facebook.jpg

I think FJ needs a contest - an out Duggar the Duggars recipe contest.  I've got some that makes this thing look like it came from the kitchens of Gordon Ramsay. Rules would be have to be something you actually make, like or your family likes - so not just googling for gross recipes you'd never meet.  And a can opener would need to be involved at some point.

Anyone else besides me have stuff you make from time to time that would be perfectly at home in a Duggar cook book?

This is what we always called Foobird salad.  

A big carton of cottage cheese.

A box of of orange jello, not sugar free.

A can of crushed pineapple with liquid

Mini marshmallows.

Can of Mandarin oranges (drained)

EDIT: I really jilled this up, you also need a container of cool whip!

Dissolve the jello powder into the can of pineapple, mix well, and add the cottage cheese. Stir all this together with mini marshmallows & drained oranges. Stir with cool whip. Serve cold!

You can also use strawberry jello powder instead of orange and add banana slices!

I shit you not, it is delicious.

(p.s. this is verbatim from my momma)

3 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

This is what we always called Foobird salad.

A big carton of cottage cheese.

A box of of orange jello, not sugar free.

A can of crushed pineapple with liquid

Mini marshmallows.

Can of Mandarin oranges (drained)

Dissolve the jello powder into the can of pineapple, mix well, and add the cottage cheese. Stir all this together with mini marshmallows & drained oranges.

You can also use strawberry jello powder and add banana slices!

I shit you not, it is delicious.

(p.s. this is verbatim from my momma)

I have to take your word on it cause it sounds like puke lol but yet possibly delicious 

I guess that's why you added the "shit you not".

I have to say now  I am curious to try it. 

Here is my contribution to the Jill-style recipes:

Chicken Taco Pie

3 C cooked chicken (hell, you could use canned, if you really wanted to Jill it up)

1 can of cream of mushroom soup

1 jar of salsa (hot if you're adventurous)

chopped pepper and onion

1 cup chicken broth

grated cheese

tortilla chips

Mix the chicken, soup, salsa, onion, pepper and broth. It will look sufficiently vomit-like to satisfy Jill. Place a layer of tortilla chips in a 2-qt casserole dish. Top with the chicken mixture. Put more tortilla chips on top and top with cheese. Bake at 350 until bubbly.

It looks like something the cat horked up, but my kids used to ask me to make this.

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

OMG FEETLOAF- the onion toenails are the best part!

pics like this pop up on a facebook Halloween page I am on. I am going to make it one year for Halloween me thinks.

My contribution to the Jill style recipe thread drift is Pioneer Woman’s 7 Can Soup. Literally seven cans and a hunk of Velveeta. It has got to be an absolute sodium bomb, and it looks like dog diarrhea, but, damn, it is delicious. The mini Shadows love it, Mr. Shadow loves it, it uses all pantry items, and it’s ready to serve in about 10 minutes. (And I’m not talking tv chef 10 minutes, which we all know is a lie, I mean real people 10 minutes). You could healthy it up by serving it with a green salad and some bread, or you could just go all in like we do and eat it with crushed Fritos. It’s good ween eatin’ (sorry! A little GHaw leaked out!) 

Poppy Seed Chicken (don't get excited. The poppy seeds are for decoration only and are entirely optional) 

Several cooked chicken breasts, shredded 

Can of cream of chicken soup

Can of cream of celery soup

Carton of sour cream 

Mix into a disgusting white, chunky mixture

Top with crushed Ritz crackers drenched in butter

Sprinkle poppy seeds if you wish

Bake

Serve over white rice

This is THE whitest meal ever, in every sense of the word. And about once a year, it's fucking delicious. 

You're welcome. 

@singsingsing drops the turd cookie story but no recipe? Come on! We need this!

Also, we have haystacks but they don't look like turds - they're chow mein noodles, peanuts, and butterscotch (or it is caramel?). 

I have to take your word on it cause it sounds like puke lol but yet possibly delicious 
I guess that's why you added the "shit you not".
I have to say now  I am curious to try it. 
I forgot the main ingredient! You mix the whole conglomerate with a small container of cool whip. Serve cold!

If you try it let me know!

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Also, we have haystacks but they don't look like turds - they're chow mein noodles, peanuts, and butterscotch (or it is caramel?). 

my mom made those - sans nuts as we won't eat them.  She would do some in chocolate and some butterscotch.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived