IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

It seems to me that fundie girls are best matched within the circle.  Like the Batseseses. The men know their role as do the women.  Jill got hitched to a wild card. Even if Ben wasn't Gothard, he's close enough.  Jeremy is a preacher. Austin was raised as Joy was. Derick is lost.  He made a whole life style choice based on being in love with Duggar life. The ugly that came out seems when Derick got weird. Like maybe he no longer values what he thought his life would be. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I grew up in the South and had never heard of or seen Duke's Mannaze (yes, that's how I say it) until I saw TV commercials for it.

I like to dip my french fries in vanilla milkshakes. 

Vivian Howard, of A Chef's Life and the Chef and the Farmer restaurant in Kinston, NC does commercials for Duke's mayo now.  I have to mute the damn ad and turn my head away when the commercial plays.  It's revolting!  She also did a segment of her show in the second or third season about mayonnaise.  I could not watch that either.  I think she called it one of the mother sauces of Southern cooking.  No, just no.  

23 hours ago, Kailash said:

If my child had life threatening allergies I doubt I would ever eat out. It’s so scary. Too much of a risk to take. As it is, my child has sensory issues with food and is considered very picky. I cater to her every (almost) demand. As far as food preferences I will try my hardest to accommodate everyone. I might politely ask questions because I want to learn. Things like if someone is allergic to this, they will probably also be allergic to that because they’re in the same food family. I know the main reason we eat food is for fuel. However, I personally enjoy food so much (too much according to my tight waistband) and when possible I like to share that joy. Food should never be a fight.  

I now have business cards to give to the kitchen staff at new restaurants.  It explains the allergy and the fact that it’s life threatening. The chef will come out and talk to me if they have questions. If they can’t accommodate my allergies, I simply sit and enjoy the company of my friends. The restaurant I have done this at like the card. There are specific restaurants where I usually prefer to go to because the staff knows my allergies and I know the food they serve is safe. I just stay away from baked goods in general. I have been learning to bake bread.

i worry most about Jill. She has to try so hard to make herself and to a small extent the world believe that Derick is a good husband. Jessa, Jinger and Joy pull this stuff on Instagram. 

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

You know are a true New Mexican or in my case honorary 505er what it means to ask for Christmas on your eggs. 

‘Do you want red or green’ is about as common as ‘do you want fries with that?

During our recent vacation I learned real quick about those big questions asked in New Mexico restaurants.   In my case, I went with green every time.

1 minute ago, nokidsmom said:

During our recent vacation I learned real quick about those big questions asked in New Mexico restaurants.   In my case, I went with green every time.

Another answer is Christmas. It’s a blend of the red and green. At Thanks Giving we had green chili stew with chicken potatoes. We also had other traditional NM foods. 

1 minute ago, DarkAnts said:

Another answer is Christmas. It’s a blend of the red and green. At Thanks Giving we had green chili stew with chicken potatoes. We also had other traditional NM foods. 

I learned about Christmas too but I tended toward the green. 

I really loved the food.  At one restaurant in Santa Fe, I had flautas made of blue corn tortillas with green chiles on top.  Hadn't had flautas that way before.  With posole and sopapillas.  Totally awesome. 

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'll confess...we didn't have tartar sauce for fish sticks growing up...my mom made a Miracle Whip / ketchup blend which I still love.

When that got a shout out in Step-Brothers as fancy sauce it made me happier than was reasonable.  They sell it now (with mayo instead of MW) but I can tell my the color they have the ratio wrong.

Now I want fish sticks with fancy sauce, rice-a-roni, and broccoli.  Am I a Duggar yet?

OMG!!!! My mom made that miracle whip ketchup dip too! I never thought anyone else on the planet even knew what that was. She would serve it with chips, at holidays. Very strange color. Especially because it was showcased in the orange-green-yellow-brown tupperware bowls of the late 70's. But it tasted good. 

We did it too when I was a kid — mayo and ketchup together.  For us it was for putting on chicken.  It does go well together.  And we were super creative in naming — we called it “pink”.  

My mom made some on the spot in her retirement community dining hall just last month while I was visiting, using two of the little packets...

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

Born and bred new Mexican. Never lived anywhere else. Red or green is always a question or Christmas which is a mix of both. I always go green but my family are green Chile farmers if you wanna know about real hatch green Chile hit me up. We sale in stores but I can give you all the history.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The only exciting Duggar pregnancy would be Jana ...choosing to raise the baby as a single mom and refusing to name the father to protect their privacy.

An early Jabbie pregnancy would be pretty exciting too. :dance:

3 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I now have business cards to give to the kitchen staff at new restaurants.  It explains the allergy and the fact that it’s life threatening. The chef will come out and talk to me if they have questions. If they can’t accommodate my allergies, I simply sit and enjoy the company of my friends. The restaurant I have done this at like the card. There are specific restaurants where I usually prefer to go to because the staff knows my allergies and I know the food they serve is safe. 

What a great idea! I know several people that this could benefit and will be passing this suggestion onto them, thank you!

12 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'll confess...we didn't have tartar sauce for fish sticks growing up...my mom made a Miracle Whip / ketchup blend which I still love.

When that got a shout out in Step-Brothers as fancy sauce it made me happier than was reasonable.  They sell it now (with mayo instead of MW) but I can tell my the color they have the ratio wrong.

Now I want fish sticks with fancy sauce, rice-a-roni, and broccoli.  Am I a Duggar yet?

I didn't realize that fry sauce (my region's name for a ketchup/mayo type sauce) had other names and was eaten in other places.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry_sauce 

Ooh! I think I'll go get some finger steaks  and tater tots with fry sauce for lunch tomorrow. Yummy! (Also quite greasy, but as long as it's only once in awhile...)

@DarkAnts That is such a good idea! Good for you to not have to tell everything over and over and great for the restaurant as well since there is no room for misunderstanding. 

I love mayonnaise, especially on my fries. I'm Dutch and fries loaded with mayo is completely normal here. However, to me, Dutch mayonnaise tastes completely different from other mayonnaise, and it's the only type of mayo I really like. 
So far, the mayonnaise i've tasted in other countries tastes really sour to me and I hate it and would NEVER put it on my fries. Made that mistake a number of times when I was younger and kept forgetting that sour mayonnaise is the standard in other countries. Sour mayo completely ruins the taste of fries and meat and whatever else you can put it on. I dislike it even in small quantities.
So, mayonnaise yes, but only a specific type of mayonnaise ?
I love me some garlic sauce though ?

14 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think he would be blamed for not being fundy enough and failing in his manly responsibilities.  Jill is a product of their parenting, he is not...easier to blame the one you didn't make.

Jim Bob will never admit he screwed up big time in finding his daughter a husband or raising a child. They will fully dump all blame on Derick. 

I see them as the most likely to get divorced too. Jill seems to be trying to change possible to make him happier but they both seem miserable. Jill was never raised to make choices and to be independent. Her whole life was to get married, be submissive, have babies, never make life choices. Derick doesn't appear to be happy with a wife like that. 

If Derick leaves her I don't think he will give up all custody of the kids and I don't see him staying single forever. The Duggars were able to tightly control the Josh situation, they would not be able to control the Derick situation if he goes rogue, leaves, has shared custody, and even does things like tries to demand Jill not be able to homeschool. If they get divorced I could see him saying he gets to have a say in their education too. 

15 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Mayo: it depends. MW: HELL NO! Cilantro: would rather pour dish soap down my throat. I don't like most nuts, coconut, strawberries, certain cheeses, certain meats (liver). Love spicy food but realize that my Cubana taste buds are much different than my husband's garden-variety gringo taste buds. Mushrooms...hand 'em over. Olives: I don't fucking think so. 

But then again, I don't like the taste of most booze either!

hahaha you are my taste twin!

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Ketchup + Mayo = Thousand Island Dressing. Or at least the "base" of the dressing.

Yup, also the base for McDonald’s special sauce

56 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

If Derick leaves her I don't think he will give up all custody of the kids and I don't see him staying single forever. The Duggars were able to tightly control the Josh situation, they would not be able to control the Derick situation if he goes rogue, leaves, has shared custody, and even does things like tries to demand Jill not be able to homeschool. If they get divorced I could see him saying he gets to have a say in their education too. 

The best thing a single Dereck could do for those children is to insist they get an actual, NON Jill educated, education.

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

The first cards we sent had a wedding photo of the two of us the year we got married. The next year was a card that featured our dog in front of the Christmas tree, but it never got sent due to our daughter trolling us so hard by coming six weeks early. I was planning to mail them out the day she wound up being born. :pb_lol: I opted not to make a replacement card after that and just made birth announcements to send out instead. 

Last year the card had three photos - one of both the baby and the dog and one of each separately. Our daughter is very mobile now, so getting photos for a card this year could be tough. 

hahah yes! I have a daughter myself(first time mama)  and oh my goodness, she's constantly on the move. Getting a picture of her now is like wrestling a bear cat. She will sit/stand still for about 30 seconds for a picture but after that she wants to be moving and playing, and giggling at all the animals she sees (girlie LOVES dogs)  Poor munchkin is teething though and its been a lot tougher than usual. (yay for molars. :( ) Any tips from the mamas out there?

5 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

The best thing a single Dereck could do for those children is to insist they get an actual, NON Jill educated, education.

Sadly, I think if they do end up divorced, Derick will have little or nothing to do with those kids. He seems to resent their very presence.

I don't see them getting divorced. At least not any time soon.

I have said before that I believe Derick wants to get in with the Federalist Society and the conservative Judge network. He wants to be Neil Gorsuch or Brett Kavanaugh and has delusions of grandeur enough to think he can do it. The SAHM and smiling kids are part of the package. He is basically Steven Hammer without the smarts or the work ethic, though he doesn't see himself that way. Who knows how long this whole law thing will last. Derick is fickle. But as long as that is his goal, they aren't breaking up.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Ketchup + Mayo = Thousand Island Dressing. Or at least the "base" of the dressing.

Or Marie Rose sauce, particularly when served with fish.

THAT was a nasty surprise once when I was expecting cocktail sauce...

8 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I didn't realize that fry sauce (my region's name for a ketchup/mayo type sauce) had other names and was eaten in other places.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry_sauce 

Ooh! I think I'll go get some finger steaks  and tater tots with fry sauce for lunch tomorrow. Yummy! (Also quite greasy, but as long as it's only once in awhile...)

I must point out that fry sauce does not just mayo and ketchup. It generally also has pickles and other spices. The best fry sauce is it Crown Burger and even has little pickles in it that you can see

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived