IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Love MW, but have an awesome recipe for spinach dip that calls for a little mayo amongst other things...that i don't substitute because my family loves it as is and MW makes it a little too sweet...but that's the only thing I buy real mayo for.

My mom did me a huge disservice by allowing MW to be called mayonnaise in my house.  I had no idea there was a difference until I had a bologna and mayo sandwich at a friends house and couldn't swallow it.

MW was also mayo at our house. I didn't know there was anything different. My mom made the best potato salad with MW. Luckily I didn't mind mayo but it did get some getting used to. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RidiculousFundies said:

What do water chestnuts taste like? I bought a ton of cans (CANS!) of them cos I saw a recipe for water chestnut stew but I think I was being adventurous, because the picture on the can looks gross and I'm too scared to open the can now and taste

They don't have a very pronounced taste to me. They're mostly crunchy and for texture. They're yummy wrapped in bacon and baked or broiled until the bacon is done. Also in stir-fried. My mom used to make a 1960s version of sweet and sour pork from the Betty Crocker cookbook that called for sliced water chestnuts. It was good.

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Just what I know about human nature I think there is a real possibility Derek will someday drop the fundy facade and go mainstream where divorce is an option and Jill is going to be completely unequipped to deal with the fall out.

Getting away from the food discussion for a moment, in recent years I have thought that there's a very real possibility of this.  Frankly of all the married Duggar daughters, I see Jill has being most likely to find herself divorced, forget about that whole covenant marriage business.   

Derek is all over the map and not just literally.  He's been pretty much like this since they got married.   I see Ben and Jeremy, in spite of their faults and beliefs, as being far more stable when it comes to taking care of their families.  This has been discussed before and I agree that Derek is finding his fundie life, with his fundie wife, to not be what he thought it would be.  Looking back, I would say he married too early, when he still a good deal of wanderlust in him, to someone he really didn't know. He strikes me as a guy who really would have been better off postponing marriage, live life as a single guy, doing whatever traveling he wanted, and marry later on.   He has two kids which might make him feel even more trapped.  I think when he decides to bust out, it's going to sudden, ugly and Jill will not know what hit her.  

I think JB and J'chelle will eventually have a divorced adult child on their hands.  Simply having 19 kids makes it a higher statistical possibility.  If it's Jill and because Derek bolts, they won't be able to help save this one as, unlike Josh, Derek is not their kid and was raised by different parents, who were more mainstream than Jill's. 

1 hour ago, TeddyBonkers said:

There are 5 foods that I will not eat.

Liver

Cow heart

Live Squid

Bugs

Tomato on a hamburger

I am the same way with tomato on a hamburger. I like tomatoes on the side but not on my sandwiches or burgers.

1 hour ago, karen77 said:

Well, to be fair, those taste TERRIBle, just sayin'

I confess, I love mushrooms so much that I MAY have over-experimented with this variety one time. Edibles may also have a similar problem. And I don’t even LIKE either a cannabis or mushroom high! Apparently I just really like food. 

Has anyone tried the new Heinz Seriously Good mayo?  It made my potato salad taste even better than great.

@Mama Mia there used to be a truck stop in a little berg called Sicamous in the BC interior that served fried mushrooms six inches high on a slab of Texas toast.  That’s all you got, mushrooms fried in butter on toast. That’s how big the platter was, it was a full meal. So good!

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

Could one of you who has tasted it and is possibly from the south tell me how Dukes taste different than Hellmann's or Best Foods?

I usually use Duke’s, but honestly, it’s pretty close to Hellman’s. I’d have to have a side-by-side tasting to identify any difference.

Lots of people registering dislike of both mayo and sliced tomatoes. I think the best sandwich ever is a really ripe tomato on toasted white bread with lots of mayo and some bacon. It’s good without the bacon too.

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I always through it was weird when adults would send pics of themselves out as Christmas cards (I love the pics of kids and if the parents want to jump in there, fine, I just always found it weird that people would get hundreds of pics of themselves as a couple and send it to everyone they know.)

Haha, we did this for a couple of years before Miniway was born. Now we do the whole family. I’ve always liked the ones with photos better and it didn’t look like we were getting any kids so we did it mostly as a joke. We chose some fun, weird photo of us (definitly not a staged couple one) and then I photoshop (badly, by choice) santahats on our heads and maybe some other christmas decorations somewhere. We only send to close family and friends, maybe 30 cards. 

Last year life was just too stressful and I never sent them out. Got them but didn’t have time to actually write adresses and send them. Decided it was more important that I survived the holidays and gave it a miss. Now I’m wondering if I can just send those ones this year or if people will notice ...

33 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Haha, we did this for a couple of years before Miniway was born. Now we do the whole family. I’ve always liked the ones with photos better and it didn’t look like we were getting any kids so we did it mostly as a joke. We chose some fun, weird photo of us (definitly not a staged couple one) and then I photoshop (badly, by choice) santahats on our heads and maybe some other christmas decorations somewhere. We only send to close family and friends, maybe 30 cards. 

Last year life was just too stressful and I never sent them out. Got them but didn’t have time to actually write adresses and send them. Decided it was more important that I survived the holidays and gave it a miss. Now I’m wondering if I can just send those ones this year or if people will notice ...

that actually sounds cute.  The ones I've gotten were regular couple shots.  Like I got your engagement pics, I had to go to your wedding, at what point can I stop looking at two adults who happened to pair bond.

But whimsy and using it to make your own funny things is a different thing.

3 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I also don't think a woman would be allowed to live alone with her children, I think they'd force her to move back into the TTH and raise her children there under JB's umbrella. After all, you can't direct a household without a penis, it's like a compass, always pointing to God's will.

Jill very likely could not function on her own, let alone with children. IMO she'd run back to JB and his big, ole daddy umbrella tout suite.

1 hour ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Has anyone tried the new Heinz Seriously Good mayo?  It made my potato salad taste even better than great.

@Mama Mia there used to be a truck stop in a little berg called Sicamous in the BC interior that served fried mushrooms six inches high on a slab of Texas toast.  That’s all you got, mushrooms fried in butter on toast. That’s how big the platter was, it was a full meal. So good!

I need this STAT!

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

Jill very likely could not function on her own, let alone with children. IMO she'd run back to JB and his big, ole daddy umbrella tout suite.

No snark from me on this.  When I left my husband and was divorced with small kids had my parents still been alive I'd have made a beeline back home.

For me it would have been to regroup, the sad thing is I don't see her getting support to become self-sufficient if she went home.  

I don't think she'd be blamed as being the woman, I think he would be blamed for not being fundy enough and failing in his manly responsibilities.  Jill is a product of their parenting, he is not...easier to blame the one you didn't make.

I mean according to their rules/standards from what we know she's followed the book.  Submissive, adoring, put herself and her boys under his absolute authority.  

I think the last is the problem.  Bearing the full responsibility for two kids and another adult without an equal partnership is not something most people would be up to.   I would be shocked if he appreciated the extent she would depend on him in every sense until he was deep in it.  That's not her fault...she's doing as she was raised.  

No, I think the blame will be largely if not entirely laid on Derek should this happen.  At least by JB...all bets are off on J'Chelle as using it to feel superior to her own daughter wouldn't surprise me...but it would still be Derek's fault for her too, I think.

Mayo: it depends. MW: HELL NO! Cilantro: would rather pour dish soap down my throat. I don't like most nuts, coconut, strawberries, certain cheeses, certain meats (liver). Love spicy food but realize that my Cubana taste buds are much different than my husband's garden-variety gringo taste buds. Mushrooms...hand 'em over. Olives: I don't fucking think so. 

But then again, I don't like the taste of most booze either!

i present to you, disgusting foods from  around the world. https://disgustingfoodmuseum.com/  Be warned, from the landing page you will see disgusting things! Dont click if you have a weak stomach. For my fellow aussies, they included Musticks from our country. Musticks! Vegiemite and witchity grubs were the other two items on the list and i agree are acquired tastes but musticks? I think I am offended...

5 minutes ago, HurricaneBells said:

Be warned, from the landing page you will see disgusting things. And i would also like to take this opportunity to express my outrage that Musticks have been included in this list! Musticks! An australian treasure! https://disgustingfoodmuseum.com/ 

They have licorice listed. I cannot abide!!! I love me some licorice.

I’m not a picky eater. I don’t eat organ meats or escargot. And nothing live. I think that’s it. I am a bit weird about certain canned foods. Like olives- I feel like I can taste the can. Same with water chestnuts. But I’m one who will not drink Aquafina or Dasani water. They taste terrible to me. I prefer non clorinated, filtered tap water.

eta: I once tasted a tradional Swedish dish of I believe fermented fish. No thanks! And no maggot cheese for me thanks. ?

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

The first cards we sent had a wedding photo of the two of us the year we got married. The next year was a card that featured our dog in front of the Christmas tree, but it never got sent due to our daughter trolling us so hard by coming six weeks early. I was planning to mail them out the day she wound up being born. :pb_lol: I opted not to make a replacement card after that and just made birth announcements to send out instead. 

Last year the card had three photos - one of both the baby and the dog and one of each separately. Our daughter is very mobile now, so getting photos for a card this year could be tough. 

7 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Our Wegmans sells Hatch one weekend a year. We were out of town for the one this year so we had a friend go pick up some for us.  Our freezer is stuffed to the gills with the little green gems. 

I’d much rather be in the 505 to get them fresh , but such is life. 

My family are Chile farmers in Hatch so I have all the green gems but its actually changed to 575 ?

6 minutes ago, farmerannie said:

My family are Chile farmers in Hatch so I have all the green gems but its actually changed to 575 ?

You know are a true New Mexican or in my case honorary 505er what it means to ask for Christmas on your eggs. 

‘Do you want red or green’ is about as common as ‘do you want fries with that?

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

One of my close girlfriends is a bankruptcy trustee. She says that the single largest category of clients she sees are women who either came from very religious families or married very young and had a bunch of kids without pursuing any education or work past high school. She says this group is characterized by a total lack of understanding of financial planning, fiscal responsibility or even very basic things like paying bills on time. It may sound strange to most of us who lived on our own at some point or share these duties with our partners, but I can totally see it. I really doubt that Jill would know how to put together a household budget or even file a tax return. I think that Derrick manages all their financial decision, albeit poorly, but not because he doesn't understand (given his accounting background) but because he is irresponsible, driven by his selfishness.

@AtlanticTug where does she practice? I’ve also got a bankruptcy lawyer friend, but she reports seeing tons of people involved and then entrapped in those short-term, high interest cash loans (like check into cash style places). But she’s in LA, so I’m sure there are regional variations. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived