IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

I really wonder what Michelle and Jim Bob think. They must realize that Derick is workshy, has been through too many career plans in his short marriage, and is going to spend a lot of money on law school. Would they keep their mouths shut? Do they have so much going on that they’re not paying attention?

Or - all aboard the speculation bus! - are they supporting the Dillards in exchange for Derick signing an NDA and keeping Jill at home?

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB and M's leave and cleave line is complete and utter BS- They are supporting the whole damn circus in one way or another. Where would Dillard get the money for law school? What about the money to support his family?? 

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I really wonder what Michelle and Jim Bob think. They must realize that Derick is workshy, has been through too many career plans in his short marriage, and is going to spend a lot of money on law school. Would they keep their mouths shut? Do they have so much going on that they’re not paying attention?

Or - all aboard the speculation bus! - are they supporting the Dillards in exchange for Derick signing an NDA and keeping Jill at home?

I think that's exactly what's happening.  IMO, the whole 'volunteer' bit was his way of letting the world know Boob controls everyone's earnings without actually coming out and saying it.  Boob is now paying him to shut up because he doesn't have much choice, and Dwreck had nothing to lose by subtly threatening him.  Now you know Boob ain't happy about that, so he better watch his back...

I don't think he's paying for everything tho...that's why we see 'link in bio!' every time Shill makes lunch or posts someone else's stuff.

Show of hands, how many think that Derick will be the pretentious know it all of his class? The ass that every single person will try their best to avoid! 

What’s sad about this whole Derick going to law school thing is that I don’t think we will ever see a post about a Duggar, especially a female Duggar, going to a real college or getting a real degree or certificate. Jill’s BS midwife crap doesn’t count. Jill and Jinger married educated men and celebrate their husbands accomplishments but those same husbands don’t seem to have encouraged higher education for their own wives. I think Ben is the only one who can would be behind Jessa if she wanted to further her education but I doubt he could stop her even if he wanted to do so. JD is courting an educated woman’s and I admit I don’t get how a woman who has lived out in the real world would want to go backwards into Duggarland. Oh well, she will be the only woman in that family who has a million options at her disposal should she decide she wants out. 

Honestly he reminds me of a number of my friends who graduated from business school then worked in accounting or consulting or i-banking and after a couple of years hated their life but didn't know what to do so they went back for 2 years to get their MBA, usually at a prestigious but fun school. 90% of them returned to the same or analogous positions after the 2 years (I was horrified at the $ they spent getting a degree that they didn't actually monetize in any way), with 10% using it to change their career path or open up new opportunities.

He doesn't know what he wants but he doesn't want to work. So he's bought himself 3 years of freedom in the sense that he won't have to justify to himself or anyone else what it is that he's doing with his life ("I'm in law school!"). After that it's back to square one.

I agree that they will have #3 while he is in school, which is also a terrible idea for people who barely manage two and are financially quite strained. It will all fall on Jill's shoulders. The difference in the last year in her level of happiness was related to being back in Arkansas but she also did seem to at least mesh well with the Cross Church people/wives of Derrick's classmates, etc. It was like a social circle specially designed for her. Remember that most people today still attend law school right out of college, meaning that Derrick will be older than the vast majority of students, he'll also have a wife and children in tow. By and large law students party hard and drink copiously and spend Thurs-Sat nights at pre-drink parties and bars. I don't know how well Derrick can fit in, though you'd think his college days at least mean he won't be in for a culture shock. But this is NOT Jill's scene by any means.

7 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Honestly he reminds me of a number of my friends who graduated from business school then worked in accounting or consulting or i-banking and after a couple of years hated their life but didn't know what to do so they went back for 2 years to get their MBA, usually at a prestigious but fun school. 90% of them returned to the same or analogous positions after the 2 years (I was horrified at the $ they spent getting a degree that they didn't actually monetize in any way), with 10% using it to change their career path or open up new opportunities.

He doesn't know what he wants but he doesn't want to work. So he's bought himself 3 years of freedom in the sense that he won't have to justify to himself or anyone else what it is that he's doing with his life ("I'm in law school!"). After that it's back to square one.

I agree that they will have #3 while he is in school, which is also a terrible idea for people who barely manage two and are financially quite strained. It will all fall on Jill's shoulders. The difference in the last year in her level of happiness was related to being back in Arkansas but she also did seem to at least mesh well with the Cross Church people/wives of Derrick's classmates, etc. It was like a social circle specially designed for her. Remember that most people today still attend law school right out of college, meaning that Derrick will be older than the vast majority of students, he'll also have a wife and children in tow. By and large law students party hard and drink copiously and spend Thurs-Sat nights at pre-drink parties and bars. I don't know how well Derrick can fit in, though you'd think his college days at least mean he won't be in for a culture shock. But this is NOT Jill's scene by any means.

I can see Dereck attempting to justify his "time" by using law school attendance as an excuse, BUT this dude has an uneducated, unemployed wife and 2 small kids to financially support. There is no excuse aside from a major disability for him not working to support his family. How do JB and M explain this???? How does any man explain this? At least all the other couples (minus the #1 douche canoe) have the show providing income, but the Dillards have nada/nothing. Wonder if JB's pre marriage questionnaire covers those who refuse to work to support their families????????

5 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I can see Dereck attempting to justify his "time" by using law school attendance as an excuse, BUT this dude has an uneducated, unemployed wife and 2 small kids to financially support. There is no excuse aside from a major disability for him not working to support his family. How do JB and M explain this???? How does any man explain this? 

Easily. They delude themselves into believing that Derrick is doing this FOR his family and that he has his eyes on the (long term) prize. Sure it will be 3 years of financial struggle (added to the 4 that came before...) but THEN he'll be a hot shot lawyer, like the conservative version of Avenatti and he'll be making it rain.

1 minute ago, AtlanticTug said:

Easily. They delude themselves into believing that Derrick is doing this FOR his family and that he has his eyes on the (long term) prize. Sure it will be 3 years of financial struggle (added to the 4 that came before...) but THEN he'll be a hot shot lawyer, like the conservative version of Avenatti and he'll be making it rain.

But they don't support working for others. Are they really that ill-informed to believe that he'll be a hotshot, sole practitioner from the get go? And in the meantime, who pays the tuition and all associated fees and supports the family? I thought JB thought advanced education was a waste of money and debt taboo?

12 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

But they don't support working for others. Are they really that ill-informed to believe that he'll be a hotshot, sole practitioner from the get go? And in the meantime, who pays the tuition and all associated fees and supports the family? I thought JB thought advanced education was a waste of money and debt taboo?

Oh they support working for other's as long as it will bring in the big bucks or attention to the family just like they supported Josh running off to DC and working for that group. 

12 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Well but I'm not sure how true that is. They didn't seem opposed at all to Josh working in DC (and making very good $ doing so). Also a lot of people have no clue about what lawyers make and well overestimate the pay. Yes, there are lawyers who make a lot of $, those are the ones who chose the "right" path (corporate law usually, especially securities or corporate finance, or large scale civil litigation to a lesser degree), at the right firm in the right city. But most will struggle. I don't expect the Duggars to have a clue to be honest.

I'm assuming he's getting into debt big time. I find it hard to believe that JimBob would be covering tuition for him, even if Jill is his favourite.

I clicked Jill’s “link in bio!!!!!11!!!” to their blog and spit out my drink when the screen went to an ad for jobs2careers or something.  Hey Derick....get a job! :goldfish:

I hope his plan isn't to start his own practice immediately. That's just a really bad idea. Law school doesn't teach you the mechanics or business of the actual practice of law. There is a LOT you don't know when you graduate from law school.

7 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

I hope his plan isn't to start his own practice immediately. That's just a really bad idea. Law school doesn't teach you the mechanics or business of the actual practice of law. There is a LOT you don't know when you graduate from law school.

Nah i hope he does that and fails spectacularly. 

Derick looks like such a doofus going to his first day of law school in a too big suit and briefcase. That shit is cute on a 5 year old, not a grown man. 

He is def going to be that guy in class. You know the one that raises his hand and goes “I have more of a comment” and says “actually” to women in class. 

7 hours ago, singsingsing said:

once he's a lawyer he's going to be rich and respected and working in the Trump White House or something.

Trump doesn’t hire anyone who knows what they’re doing, so Derdick has a chance. Too bad Trump will by impeached by the time he graduates!

“That guy” in my class was a woman. Everyone noticed that her know-it-all attitude disappeared after we got the first semester’s grades.

I'm also super duper interested in whos bankrolling this. He made such a big deal in his courtship how he wouldnt dare put Jillymuffin in debt. I don't think he's smart enough for a full scholarship. I don't think Cathys got the money. I don't think JB would pay for it unless there's a far out scenario where Derrick agrees to shut up on social media, which he won't do.

the never ending question...how much money did they get for so callled volunteering, and how well did they invest? At the very least they've gotten money for magazine covers, right?

Maybe JB told Derick that he'd pay for some kind of education that Derick would actually use if it means he stopped dragging Jill and the kids around everywhere and oh btw, shut up on twitter. That's the only explanation I've got for any of this...

35 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Derick looks like such a doofus going to his first day of law school in a too big suit and briefcase. That shit is cute on a 5 year old, not a grown man. 

He is def going to be that guy in class. You know the one that raises his hand and goes “I have more of a comment” and says “actually” to women in class. 

I was directed to the law school's FB page. There is a picture of the incoming 1L class. All the guys are in suits, and most of the girls are in skirts. So, I have to retract my snickering from earlier today when I first saw the picture.

@AtlanticTug,  I don't think it's strange at all for you to have said you'd have wanted to be a pastry chef if you didn't go to law school.  I don't know if you watch The Great British Bake Off ( aka The Great British Baking Show) or not but John Whaite of Season 3 (Season 5 in the US) was a law student at the time of the competition  and went on to study at Le Cordon Bleu.  James Morton was another competitor during that season and he was in med school at the time.  Both James and John have written several cookery books since the show and James is now practicing as a junior doctor with the NHS.  John sat the bar exam during the competition, btw.  He just got engaged to his partner Paul Atkins.  (Congratulations and best wishes, John and Paul!)

He lost his tie today.

If he thinks he's working in the Trump White House in three years that means Trump will have won the next election. Oh dear god.

Looks like they're staying in the CrossChurch duplex, if Jill is handy-woman-ing her cabinets.

There's probably more but...

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived