IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 3: Rapture Pending

Coconut Flan

On 7/31/2018 at 8:16 AM, MargaretElliott said:

Ah shit, this thread drift is too real. I went to a school where the "college adviser"* pushed everyone to go to 4-year, private colleges. She even questioned my decision to go to a state school and encouraged me to apply to private schools. Lady, I don't care where I get my degree, I just want it to be close and cheap. Every single one of my friends went to expensive private schools, and a ton of them went out of state for their "dream school." This "adviser" put a ton of focus on finding the perfect school for you, no matter the cost or distance. The underlying message was, "if you don't find the perfect school for you, you'll be miserable." She also practically forced my sister into college (my sister is extremely smart, but not in ways that they counted in school) and she ended up flunking out and ending up with a bunch of debt and no degree to show for it. Same for my high school boyfriend - he went to a fancy private college out of state because that's what he thought he needed to do to succeed, and he couldn't take the stress, dropped out, then had to work off his debt without a degree. He also had some other issues that contributed to his dropping out, but if it had been a cheaper school, at least it would have affected him and his family less. Everyone bought her "private schools only" shit, and now they're all up to their eyeballs in debt, working shitty jobs because everyone has a BA nowadays. I mean, I may still have debt, but I have much less than my friends who went to private school. And I'm still working shitty jobs, but hey, I'm a millenial. Sometimes I wish I had learned welding or something. The few kids who went into trade schools/the military after high school were mocked for it then, but now, they're probably making more than the ones who went to fancy colleges.

*I'm putting the term in quotation marks because she sucked at her job

That's interesting you say that. I see your location is MA. I'm from CO and I got a full ride scholarship to Brown for athletics (well they gave me an academic scholarship, the sneakiness of Ivy's getting around their no official NCAA scholarship thing). Anyway I came from a fairly working class to lower middle class area. I'd say a good chunk of kids I went to school with went to community colleges, trade schools, etc. The ones that did go to college went to state schools, mostly the smaller ones (like instead of CU Boulder, UCD (Denver), Mesa State in Grand Junction, etc.) Only a number I can count on my fingers out of a class of 700+ went to private colleges and it was all scholarship kids. That was our norm.

I get out east and every one is asking who I know at DU (University of Denver) or CC (CO College) because they have tons of friends there. I literally knew no one there, it's only out of state kids, mostly east coast, because they're so crazy expensive. Kids out in the mountain west, in regular public schools, just aren't encouraged to go to those small private liberal arts colleges.

I don't know if it's a regional thing or not, but I definitely noticed a HUGE difference.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I am kind of curious where they will be honeymooning. I don't think Ireland or Germany has been chosen yet. Eastern Europe hasn't even been touched yet. I have heard from Prague to Budapest, it's beautiful. 

The Duggars have been to Ireland already. But I really think they are going to honeymoon within reach of JD's plane--therefore within North America.

I'm thinking Utah, New Mexico, or Arizona. Maybe San Diego.

@zee_four, oh absolutely, and not just regional to New England- regional to my school. My high school was an experimental one that pioneered new learning techniques. As a result, lots of progressive-minded, wealthy parents who went to expensive colleges wanted to invest in their kids' future by sending them to this school. So here are all these kids with wealthy parents, who all went to private schools, who all put a massive value on education, and wanted them to go to the same college they went to... and then there was me. So they were getting pressure from their parents as well, and the adviser was clearly tailoring her approach to these kinds of kids, who didn't have to worry as much about money.

I don't regret going to college, but I'm also very happy I ignored my adviser's advice and went to an inexpensive state school and commuted from home to keep costs down even more. There's nothing wrong with college- there is something wrong with pushing a seventeen-year-old into making massive financial decisions when they're still not entirely sure what they want out of life.

4 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I have heard from Prague to Budapest, it's beautiful. 

So beautiful that we tried to drive it and never made it to Prague - we dawdled until we had to turn around.

I've driven from Munich to Prague, but we're looking at taking the train from Prague to Budapest so we can just sit and enjoy the scenery...

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've driven from Munich to Prague, but we're looking at taking the train from Prague to Budapest so we can just sit and enjoy the scenery...

Do it! A few years ago I took the train from Athens to Berlin, with stops in Budapest and Prague. It's gorgeous. I've driven and taken the train between Germany and Prague and I definitely prefer the train.  You can pay more attention and also the roads don't go right next to the lakes and castles in quite the same way the train does. 

Bit late on the toilet paper discussion, personally i dont care if its over or under... as long as im not the only one in this house (of five very capable people) who replaces the roll when its empty!!!

Assuming the TP actually gets off the vanity and put on the holder or you realize  you ran out and the new package is sitting on the kitchen table before you are actually sitting on the pot:)

Interesting that there's a college v. tech school thread drift over on the Counting On thread right now, too. (Includes discussion about debt and arguments about parents being equipped - or not - to homeschool, too.)

On 7/31/2018 at 7:03 PM, formergothardite said:

I'm not sure how to tell you, but it appears there is no breakfast in heaven either. :(

No sex and no breakfast? That doesn’t sound like heaven to me. 

On 8/1/2018 at 3:04 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

So...

• shoes in the house: what all decent people do, or filthy and disgusting?
  • wedding receptions: anything less than a full meal is shameful, or cake and mints are fine?
  • peanut butter: tasty and nutritious, or spread of Satan?

You forgot: Duvets, yes or no? :sleeping-sleeping:

On 8/1/2018 at 6:50 AM, RainbowSky said:

https://youtu.be/4Aid-4q8s7o

Well, now you're screwed. No breakfast in hell either.  And I knew this song already lmao.

Nooooo! That does sound like hell. 

On 8/2/2018 at 8:06 AM, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Nice catch on the Ellen DeGeneres sheets! I wonder if they have any idea of who Ellen is, and if they would still want the sheets if they knew of her sinful Sapphic sexual orientation.

Who doesn’t know Ellen? Everyone knows Ellen. Guess we’ll find out if they take it off the registry. Because if they don’t know I’m sure someone will tell them. 

On 8/2/2018 at 1:12 PM, TatiFish9 said:

Haha! The only thing bigger is a Jana wedding if she should marry. Just seeing the response to JD, I can't even imagine what will happen with her.

With that, JD looks high all-de-time. Abbie must really have an impact on him. 

I think a big part of the response comes from how happy JD look. He’s like a whole other person and a lot of us just want the kids to be happy. And then step away from fundieville and keep their religious thoughts all to themselves. 

On 8/1/2018 at 5:12 AM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Toilet paper: over or under?

I’m #3 if we don’t have guests. Then #2 all the way.  

F8848FF8-374A-4CB6-A439-D94843DBBB61.png

53 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

No sex and no breakfast? That doesn’t sound like heaven to me. 

You forgot: Duvets, yes or no? :sleeping-sleeping:

Nooooo! That does sound like hell. 

Who doesn’t know Ellen? Everyone knows Ellen. Guess we’ll find out if they take it off the registry. Because if they don’t know I’m sure someone will tell them. 

I think a big part of the response comes from how happy JD look. He’s like a whole other person and a lot of us just want the kids to be happy. And then step away from fundieville and keep their religious thoughts all to themselves. 

I’m #3 if we don’t have guests. Then #2 all the way.  

F8848FF8-374A-4CB6-A439-D94843DBBB61.png

I'm totally number 3 if I have to remove the center spring part, because I hate dealing with the spring. However I have a free standing TP holder that it just slides right on to and then I actually use the rod. 

I’m not #3 because I’m lazy (although I am indeed really lazy), I actually prefer it. Possibly because of where the holder sits. I just find it easier to grab the roll and get the paper. 

Now I feel like I have talked way too much about my bathroom habits. Will stop now. Sorry. 

3 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I’m not #3 because I’m lazy (although I am indeed really lazy), I actually prefer it. Possibly because of where the holder sits. I just find it easier to grab the roll and get the paper. 

Now I feel like I have talked way too much about my bathroom habits. Will stop now. Sorry. 

Location is actually the reason I have a freestanding one! My bathroom has a tp holder built into the wall back next to the toilet on the same wall which is inconvenient to reach. So I have the freestanding one that sits a foot and a half in front of the wall and everything's all happy.

Why isn’t there an option #4. No toilet paper holder at all because my kid ripped it off the wall years ago and I haven’t fixed it. *sigh*

7 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

@Iamtheway hey, don’t mock the duvet war. It was my first one and I still have fond memories of it :my_biggrin:

I almost bought a king size duvet cover with a cat print at Urban Outfitters today. Still considering it, to be honest, but almost 70£...

On 8/2/2018 at 5:17 AM, justmy2cents said:

This reminds of a story on People.com today of Identical twins marrying another set of identical twins.  They're marrying a day apart and doing part of their honeymoon together.  The 2 couples are going to be living together in a 2 bedroom apt. which is where I would have drawn the line.

I found it all a little creepy. Like the twin part was more important then personality. Did you see they are getting their own show  on tlc? 

https://www.google.se/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/914619002

I'm 100% option number two and my husband definitely prefers option number three on that diagram. It's a mildly annoying silent disagreement that he usually wins because I'm not patient enough to keep putting the darn toilet paper on the holder. I do definitely wish that he'd leave it the heck alone there but considering how many other things that we've compromised in our marriage, this thing seems to be the exception. He simply feels he must take it off the wall to get the toilet paper. Annoying yes, but he puts the seat down 100% of the time, so I guess if there's one annoying bathroom habit I'd definitely pick the toilet paper thing over the seat. I'm so thankful he doesn't plague me with that habit. 

On 8/4/2018 at 1:03 AM, kiwi said:

Bit late on the toilet paper discussion, personally i dont care if its over or under... as long as im not the only one in this house (of five very capable people) who replaces the roll when its empty!!!

I've never understood that whole thing. Before my wedding, someone very helpfully informed me that this would be the main fight Mr. 05 and I would have for the rest of our lives. Except neither of us care at all which way the toilet paper is on the roll, as long as it is there. 

How do you get yourself that upset about something so completely trivial? I don't understand. 

Just now, louisa05 said:

I've never understood that whole thing. Before my wedding, someone very helpfully informed me that this would be the main fight Mr. 05 and I would have for the rest of our lives. Except neither of us care at all which way the toilet paper is on the roll, as long as it is there. 

How do you get yourself that upset about something so completely trivial? I don't understand. 

People actually told you this would be a fight?   My headship and I have argued about it (jokingly) exactly once, and it was just because for once in my life I could be on my SIL's side and that seemed like it would be good for our relationship to once have me not just hating her.  

3 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

People actually told you this would be a fight?   My headship and I have argued about it (jokingly) exactly once, and it was just because for once in my life I could be on my SIL's side and that seemed like it would be good for our relationship to once have me not just hating her.  

Yes. One person quite helpfully informed me of the frequency and intensity of the TP fights at her house and how everyone she knows has them. Among other very trivial things to fight about that various helpful friends warned me about (I was the last in my friend group to get married, so everyone felt like blessing me with "wisdom"). 

We have never even jokingly argued about the toilet paper thing. And it doesn't bother me which way it is on the roll, nor does it bother him. I think in this house, it goes on the roll whichever way it happens to land. 

7 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I found it all a little creepy. Like the twin part was more important then personality. Did you see they are getting their own show  on tlc? 

https://www.google.se/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/914619002

The ones I was referring to are the 2nd set at the bottom of that article, not the ones that will be featured on TLC. I agree that it's somewhat creepy. It's like they're interchangeable.

9 hours ago, louisa05 said:

My husband and I thankfully agree that the only correct way is #2, so we have never had to fight about it. To be honest, I have no idea why it bothers me so much when it's wrong, it just does. I am the kind of person who turns the TP roll around in other people's houses if they do it wrong. :pb_lol:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived