IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 3: Rapture Pending

Coconut Flan

The bathroom scrubber should be used with a nice heavy duty bleach type cleaner. (to start, I don’t usually go for chemicals, but tubs get gross.

I am one human who had surgery and then it  pretty much didn’t get clean for a year. I was wiping down the walls and bleach bathing the tub.

It took me about six hours  ( with breaks to breath and one recharge of the thing) to get the whole the thing back to bath worthy.

I hope it works for everyone. Baths are very helpful to my sanity. And that was the chore (besides laundry) that was causing me the most frustration.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

Where are the goddamn house elves when you need them? 

And suddenly, I feel a strong need to watch all 7 movies tonight . 

5 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

I need to do this too. In the worst way. lol. 19 hours/39 minutes... and GO!

8 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I need to do this too. In the worst way. lol. 19 hours/39 minutes... and GO!

Haha! You know the mileage! 

I usually start at Prisoner of Azkaban. That's where I fell in love with the series. Book wise, the first two were pretty slow, but I can tolerate the movies. I will find 19.5hrs this weekend! :dance: 

2 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I usually start at Prisoner of Azkaban

I listen to The Podcast that Must Not Be Named, and they've just finished the PoA and will do their 'full book recap' next week. I think the new episodes are released on Sundays. http://www.thepodcastthat.com/tptmnbn/  They do one chapter per week in-depth, and have first-time readers weigh in (which is a lot of fun). The full book recap is generally a wide-open discussion with theories and spoilers. It's my Monday commute soother. lol

On 8/9/2018 at 6:01 PM, KelseyAnn said:

Where are the goddamn house elves when you need them? 

I wish I knew. Holy crap at the a amount of cleaning I had to do before leaving my old apartment.  I'm still hurting. 

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:
  Hide contents

fh7gKiOsTliMZtXRfxnQcA.jpg

OwMD2MfnTn6zaX+jqoMktQ.jpg

Great idea. Will use this idea until toilet paper rolls are installed here. 

And that black and blue countertop. Is it Labradorite? It's gorgeous!

On 8/8/2018 at 11:39 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

There are a few cute guinea pigs floating around lately. Is it yours?

It's mine!  He isn't the biggest fan of his lederhosen but he doesn't mind as much as you might expect.

6 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I'm in the middle of re-reading- On #6 now. Then, I will re-watch all 7. 

I'm kinda predictable when it comes to the natural vs big pharma type convos here. Treating my hypothyroidism with naturally desiccated thyroid (NDT) instead of synthetic has done wonders, as has balancing my adrenals with alternating holy basil and AdrenalCortex. Just added in selenium and tumeric too. The moon face and weight are slowly getting better, I have energy, I'm not cold all the time. and my hair/skin look better than they have in years. My thyroid labs are borderline hyper on the TSH but my free T3, reverse T3 and T4 are now perfect. But when I was being seen at the Wayne State medical school, none of the residents even knew what NDT was, hell most of the attendings didn't know how to prescribe or test around it. It's not taught, it's still Synthroid and if you get lucky,  Cytomel. Synthroid is the number 1 most prescribed drug in the world. 

Hubby suffers from moderate depression, anxiety and Bipolar II. We don't have insurance so he takes 400mg of Sam-E twice a day, plus a really good brand of CBD. It works. It controls all his symptoms and doesn't have anywhere near the amount of nasty side effects. The CBD has been great for the arthritis pain we both have too. He uses berberine and tumeric for blood sugar. The proof is in the labs.

Which isn't to say certain drugs aren't great and sometimes necessary but things In the American medical community need to change. We need to learn to treat the whole person not just minimize the symptoms.

10 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I lost count of how many times I read the books, first in German and then later in English when I was taking advanced English classes in high school... Anyway, I recently listened to the English audio books series read by Stephen Fry and it was AMAZING! You'll need a bit longer than one weekend, though :my_biggrin:

Back on topic:

With the new season of Counting On having just started and Felicitiy's birth special, I almost forgot J'abbie were engaged. Those jumpy timelines on Counting On are really messing with my head :pb_lol:

Essential oils smell great, tea tree oil and cedar are good for a number of things topically.  But that’s about it, I mean I love them but they are not miracle cures.

I'm happy for people who don't need medication, and I'm beyond grateful for the "big pharma" medications I take that make life livable for me.

8 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm happy for people who don't need medication, and I'm beyond grateful for the "big pharma" medications I take that make life livable for me.

I’m not on any medications on a daily basis. I do take something (Aleve) to prevent cramps. However, I am also grateful for “Big Pharma” because those medications have kept my parents healthy & alive. 

I agree that some meds are necessary. Absolutely. But an EpiPen for a child shouldn't cost $600. My Maxalt for my migraines used to cost nearly $100 per pill. People should not have to decide to buy their medicine or eat that month. Big pharma posts record profits on a regular basis and it's bullshit. A pill that costs them $0.89 to make and distribute should not cost $39-$100 EACH. 

Then you have the side effects, which often require...more pills. One of the meds I used to take to control ulcers can cause headaches, so what do I do? Take NSAIDS because I couldn't be down with a pounding headache every day. What do NSAIDS do? Aggravate the hell outta my stomach!  I quit taking it, changed my diet, a lot less issues. 

Prescriptions absolutely have a place but a whole body approach is definitely better than just take a pill for everything.

I’m in some kind of anti-depressant nightmare at the moment. The last one seems to have worn off, the new one is not working. And I am attributing this to a maybe? severe reaction to life events of the last ten days. There is a moment where you go, “aw shit, I don’t think it’s this bad” /brain chemistry could be involved here/hello cloud

Then I called the answering service to see if I could get to my rnp before Monday morning. They were really confused that I wasn’t a pregnant lady. (She works in the women’s health facility with my ob/gyn) We established that I was not. I took a shot with the on-call, thinking, not that they could get me drugs (nobody wants to cross medicate with brain drugs) but maybe they’d get me to her. 

The on-call physician was like, “you’re not pregnant?” Then I had to explain the whole thing, including that I do also take Xanax. And I do believe that’s where I lost her, Cause then we veered off into whether i had a primary care doctor and why I was using their office to begin with. And if there was another number I could call (uhm, 911 - not relevant, and they also won’t touch brain meds)

Sigh. Taking pills is a pain in the ass.

My Dad is 57 and he is on zero medications. That's of course the luck of the genetics lottery. He's from a long lived line. My mother's side is lucky to see 75. Sure it's the way that you treat your body, but it's also about how your body treats you. Sometimes you get lucky for a long time and then sometimes your health completely shits the bed, and the hospital is sick of looking at you. It's the flip of a coin! 

That being said, I hope all FJers live to be 110 with no issues. ;) 

On 8/10/2018 at 2:22 PM, justoneoftwo said:

This is so true, so much of health is just blind luck.  My chain smoking alcoholic grandmother lived to over 90.  Its not all about "good living" and acting like it is makes people inclined to blame those who get sick.  

Believe me, I know. My sister-in-law is a woo-natic. She has explained to me multiple times that my dad died of cancer because of his supposed "unhealthy" lifestyle. Except his woo free lifestyle was ten times healthier than hers. He was so disciplined about good health. He never splurged on junk food. He walked three miles a day. He controlled his cholesterol obsessively because of a family tendency toward high numbers. 

Meanwhile my idiot sister-in-law yo-yo diets, considers "restorative yoga" (she charges you to sleep essentially) to be exercise, has probably never done cardio in her life since middle school P.E., and confesses to binging on junk food two or three times a month--things like buying ten Burger King cheeseburgers and eating them in one sitting. 

This same bitch told me when my cousin died that he would not have had CF if my aunt had done prenatal yoga. 

@Carm_88 On my dad's dad side of the family, no one that we know of has seen 75. My dad's younger brother is getting close and is in good health, so he may be the first. On his mother's side, she was the only of four children to live to 90. 

Meanwhile on my mother's paternal side, 90 is young. My grandpa had two siblings die in young adulthood, one of acute anemia which could not be treated and one from an infection after childbirth--both in the time shortly after WW1. The rest lived well past 90. One was 104 and lived by herself until she was 101 (she outlived her husband by over 20 years). 

@Shadoewolf  I can't believe how inflated prices are for medicines  in America.

The NHS isn't perfect but our prescription charges are only £8.80 per item.  You can even pay an annual fee of £104 which will cover all prescriptions for a year.  Of course, if you're under the age of 16 (19 if you're in full time education), over 60 or receiving benefits all prescriptions are free.

I now treat my stress related eczema with medical grade manuka honey after relying on steroid creams and oral antibiotics for a number of years. My GP actually suggested that I might like to give it a try since I was worried about the skin thinning effects of strong steroid creams. It worked for me.  If it stops working, I'll go back to conventional treatments.  It's great to have a choice though for minor ailments.

My dad, on the other hand, relies on a cocktail of drugs to keep him alive due to various medical conditions and several strokes over the last two years.  I'm grateful that he has a great NHS doctor who monitors and balances all their various interactions so that he's able to have the best quality of life possible.  

I just turned 58,and I don't take any prescriptions.

I'm sure I will get downvoted,but my dr wanted me to go on Atorvastatin..for my cholesterol.I don't want to take a statin.I'd rather use diet and exercise.

I do take tumeric for my joint pain.

Mr Melon is a diabetic,has been for years,and takes several prescriptions,two types of insulin,cholesterol medication,medication for his neuropathy,plus he has Xanax standing by for the times he has anxiety,as well as Flexeril for the times he has back pain.And a low dose aspirin.

15 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Hubby suffers from moderate depression, anxiety and Bipolar II. We don't have insurance so he takes 400mg of Sam-E twice a day, 

A few years ago we had an aging dachshund who developed doggy dementia. Our vet suggested Sam E and it was wild how much of a difference it made. He went from forgetting who we were and trying to attack us to being his sweet self again. I'd never heard of it before and this is just an anecdote but it did seem to be some amazing stuff! 

*raises hand* Essential oil user here.

I have found certain oils effective for treating headaches, earaches, toenail fungus, sore muscles, and stuffy nose. Maybe Abbie uses them judiciously and will still seek medical treatment when appropriate. 

34 minutes ago, Abstract said:

*raises hand* Essential oil user here.

I have found certain oils effective for treating headaches, earaches, toenail fungus, sore muscles, and stuffy nose. Maybe Abbie uses them judiciously and will still seek medical treatment when appropriate. 

Do you mind sharing what you use for headaches? I have tried the doTerra roll on and the smell makes my headache worse. Otherwise l use a roll on from Saje which is Peppermint and i love the smell and the cooling sensation but it has minimal effect on the headach pain.

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, melon said:

I just turned 58,and I don't take any prescriptions.

I'm sure I will get downvoted,but my dr wanted me to go on Atorvastatin..for my cholesterol.I don't want to take a statin.I'd rather use diet and exercise.

I do take tumeric for my joint pain.

Mr Melon is a diabetic,has been for years,and takes several prescriptions,two types of insulin,cholesterol medication,medication for his neuropathy,plus he has Xanax standing by for the times he has anxiety,as well as Flexeril for the times he has back pain.And a low dose aspirin.

Random tidbit but my mom was able to use red yeast rice pills to control her cholesterol for many years. May be something worth looking into for yourself. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived