IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 3: Rapture Pending

Coconut Flan

3 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

Why are they registered for 6 different sets of bath towels?

Planning on lots of little kids bathing I suppose?

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

And I am totally giving Abbie the LPN the side-eye for all that essential oil crap on the registy.

Oh and of course there are multiple Ellen Degeneres items on the registy. The Fundy favorite!! : )

I don't see the problem with the essential oils.  They registered for a diffuser, also.  I have one and I love it because it makes the house smell so good.  It also acts like a mini humidifier in the winter.

My daughter and I LOL'D at the Ellen Degeneres bedding, though.  

54 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

AND I SEE THEY WANT THE SETTLERS OF CATAN SEAFARERS EXPANSION. Can I deduce, therefore, that they are already Catan players? I hope so. I see Taboo, Codenames and Ticket to Ride too - board game night at Jabbie's!!

They were my new pet fundies already, but now they are way ahead of the rest. Are they board game geeks? Me too! I'll drop over at their new place (wherever that might be) and join them for any board game! 

9 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I feel validated in the shower curtain war. Thank you.

I bought this thing to clean my bathtub and shower door. Took down a year of grime.  (With chemical help) Saved my back. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07516SJ6Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered today.  Thanks so much for the link.  

2 minutes ago, VooDooChild said:

I don't see the problem with the essential oils.  They registered for a diffuser, also.  I have one and I love it because it makes the house smell so good.  It also acts like a mini humidifier in the winter.

But do you think essential oils are a substitute for actual medical care and drugs prescribed by physicians? Some fundies do.

The registry is huge, but they’re going to have hundreds of wedding guests. Other than a little side-eye at the refrigerator and the extent of Abbie’s interest in essential oils, I thought it was a pretty good registry.

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Also a massive WTF to this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0971266905?colid=2BS1IMA5CHRUX&coliid=I2UYJHGX6KE90V&ref_=

Just looked at the title and no, just no.

Eating for health is a real thing. Using nature's medicines instead of chemicals created for profit by pharmaceutical companies is a much preferable option to many people - myself included. 

I'm 51 and take zero meds. NONE. My doc is amazed and tells me that my husband and I are his only patients over the age of 50 who doesn't take at least *something* to keep their blood levels in the normal range, whether it's insulin, statins, blood pressure meds, etc. 

3 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Eating for health is a real thing. Using nature's medicines instead of chemicals created for profit by pharmaceutical companies is a much preferable option to many people - myself included. 

I'm 51 and take zero meds. NONE. My doc is amazed and tells me that my husband and I are his only patients over the age of 50 who doesn't take at least *something* to keep their blood levels in the normal range, whether it's insulin, statins, blood pressure meds, etc. 

Maybe I read your comment wrong but I am confuse. If you are healthy and have a balanced diet there is absolutely no need to supplement or treat every cold with medication. That definitely doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take prescribed medication if a simple diet/lifestyle change isn’t enough.

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been, but I'm trying to understand your confusion... and your assumption that I'd treat a cold with medication (which I don't). 

They registered for a TON of blankets and bedding too. I get that you might like a spring/summer and then a fall/winter blanket - but I think I couldn't 4 blankets and a comforter PLUS two comforter sets?

Maybe they're thinking "see what we get, return what doesn't match and buy what we really want but can't tell our friends about... like... condoms."

2 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

ooh-er crikey missus!

I rather like their registry though. Their kitchen is gonna be SO well kitted out - clearly a list made by someone who knows what they're doing - AND I SEE THEY WANT THE SETTLERS OF CATAN SEAFARERS EXPANSION. Can I deduce, therefore, that they are already Catan players? I hope so. I see Taboo, Codenames and Ticket to Ride too - board game night at Jabbie's!!

Settlers of Catan is extremely popular amongst fundies. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My mother is 74 and takes no medication. She does not claim she is "eating for health" nor is she "using nature's medicines". She is just incredibly healthy. 

As for "nature's medicine", many, many medications are derived from natural sources. But in order to be effective, they have to be distilled down to the beneficial ingredient and the dose has to be controlled. 

Here's a pretty long list: 

https://www.thoughtco.com/drugs-and-medicine-made-from-plants-608413

11 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I bought this thing to clean my bathtub and shower door. Took down a year of grime.  (With chemical help) Saved my back. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07516SJ6Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This looks amazing and has been added to my wish list. Rufus bless you for sharing it with us! 

Their dishes... The pattern is Nevaeh. I just can't.

Maybe this means they will never name a future daughter that.  : )

@front hugs > duggs's comment was specifically talking about the title "Be Your Own Doctor," which frankly, I find a pretty awful title  even if it's meant to be tongue in cheek (see also the companion book "Be Your Child's Pediatrician" :doh:)

Beyond that, did you read the reviews?  Or do a google search for pages and remedies from it?  These aren't remedies that have any more credibility than "I was told by a client that this worked for them..."   There's a reason scientists don't generally rely on anecdotal evidence.  Not to mention the author's non-accredited training via "Dr. Christopher’s School of Natural Healing" correspondence course.  

Worse, some remedies seem incredibly risky - self-treating kidney stones with alfalfa?  Treat burns with burdock?  This idea that every person has the equivalent skill to a doctor is dangerous.  Most people can't diagnose themselves or determine if a symptom is at the point where it needs serious medical intervention.  And worse, there will be a subset of people who are distrustful of doctors who hold up books like this to justify that idea even further.  

There are plenty of herbal remedies that peer-reviewed studies prove have legitimate medicinal effects.  But this book doesn't care about things like that.  IMO, it's quackery.  

I would add as well that health is often a matter of good luck. You can do all the healthy things and still not be healthy. 

My cousin died at 24 because he was born with Cystic Fibrosis. All the "eating for health" or "nature's medicine" that the woo world can produce would not have changed that. 

(Living in better proximity to medical care may have made a difference in terms of years, but that's another issue entirely. And he was never going to live without daily medications). 

9 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I would add as well that health is often a matter of good luck. You can do all the healthy things and still not be healthy. 

My cousin died at 24 because he was born with Cystic Fibrosis. All the "eating for health" or "nature's medicine" that the woo world can produce would not have changed that. 

(Living in better proximity to medical care may have made a difference in terms of years, but that's another issue entirely. And he was never going to live without daily medications). 

This is so true, so much of health is just blind luck.  My chain smoking alcoholic grandmother lived to over 90.  Its not all about "good living" and acting like it is makes people inclined to blame those who get sick.  

Someone I know posted on Facebook about how she suspected she had strep throat so she simply took some oregano oil. I’m not sure if she drank it or applied it topically to her neck but she had really bad rashes and chemical burns on her neck. I prefer antibiotics for such things. I think some essential oils can help for psychological things such as lavender can be soothing but it is not a substitute for sickness. 

Coming back to add that she applied it topically to neck, throat, and ears. I’m still trying to figure out how topical medication would help sore throat. Can anybody guess how she proceeded to treat these chemical burns? Nailed it! With more essential oils! Coconut oil, lavender, peppermint and more. It wasn’t working so let’s go all out with multiple types of oil several times a day. And let’s throw vitamin C in there for good measure because we can’t have her developing scurvy while this is happening. 

Finally her friend bought her antibacterial cream from the store. She stopped using the essential oils and used the cream according to package instructions. Guess what? It worked! 

Sorry for the long edit but I just went back and re read her post and have to wonder what thoughts were going through her head. 

9 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Oh, I agree with this, as well.

I've been on the wrong side of the luck most of my life... cancer, scleroderma, and various other autoimmune issues... However, I'm still doing all the healthy things I can to try to keep myself healthy.

Just now, Knight of Ni said:

strep throat

Strep is nothing to play with. One of the coaches at my college DIED from untreated strep throat...

12 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I just have to say THANK YOU for sharing. I just ordered this! Our tubs are super old and always look so grimy even after I've cleaned them, so maybe this will help! I'm actually looking forward to cleaning now!

As far as the registry, I noticed they registered for JillRod's KitchenAid mixer. :neener: I also noticed the Shark cordless Pet Perfect–will they be getting pets!?

So do we assume that JD and Abbie plan to live in that house that JD got from the bank several years ago. I think it was a little rancher? Maybe just 2 bedrooms, 1 bath. And we assume he's been renting it out?

The refrigerator (and washer and dryer) that they registered for -- either are to replace crappy old ones in his rental house , or  the current appliances belong to the tenant (which I think is rather unusual in the US-- our large appliances tend to be furnished in the  house or apartment, and stay there)

18 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Someone I know posted on Facebook about how she suspected she had strep throat so she simply took some oregano oil. I’m not sure if she drank it or applied it topically to her neck but she had really bad rashes and chemical burns on her neck. I prefer antibiotics for such things. I think some essential oils can help for psychological things such as lavender can be soothing but it is not a substitute for sickness. 

I think there are ways to help prevent SOME illness. ie - if you're stressed out and more run down - you're more likely to catch whatever cold is going around. So if there are things that help you manage stress - aromatherapy, lavender, etc - go for it. When I'm feeling a little bit of the sniffles come on - I do a version of aromatherapy in the shower with some menthol baby wash. These aren't so much therapeutic or preventative - but MAY help you prevent (or shorten) a common cold.

But none of that should be a replacement for medical science. (and oregano oil is flippin' expensive!)

Speaking of woo.... 

I stumbled upon some results pictures of people who tried to treat their cancerous tumors with black salve. OMG I wish I could unsee those pictures. They made me shudder and my skin crawl at the same time. And unfortunately the people often died from the cancer anyway. 

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

But do you think essential oils are a substitute for actual medical care and drugs prescribed by physicians? Some fundies do.

No. I think it's woo.  I spoke too soon as I  just noticed a book on their amazon registry about essential oils and ancient medicine, so I'm now also giving Abbie the side eye.  The money and time spent on this garbage would be better spent at the doctor's office.  Geez, these people.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived