IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 42: American Girl (grand)Duggar

Georgiana

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, albireo said:

I was a fat, dark-haired baby (they called me Jabba!) who promptly became, and stayed, scrawny and blonde once I left the baby stage. Sister had red hair, also promptly turned blonde. I wonder what genes determine what baby hair looks like?

I was the same as you, both with size (well, I stayed very long, I just became a very skinny kid) and hair color. My parents thought my hair would get dark again, as there are a lot of kids whose hair started out very blonde but darkened to brown in childhood, but my hair has stayed fairly blonde even into adulthood.

All my siblings also started out with the same thick dark hair I had, but theirs stayed dark.

I'm trying to remember what I said when my son was born...I was pretty exhausted but I think the first thing I said was along the lines of "I'm so glad he's actually cute". We had totally prepared ourselves for a potato. 

My kid and I had a long, natural labor. Once she was out, they put her on my belly and she started rooting around to nurse, and I remember being shocked by how much she could move on her own. She seemed so weirdly alert, looking around with these giant eyes, long wispy hair on her head, vernix on her skin, jerky movements as she tried to find some milk...

So all I could think of was Golum, with those lurching movements and huge eyes and skinny limbs. Her dad and my mom were there when I delivered, however, and I knew they'd both be offended by that, so instead I called her "Precious." :pb_lol: I swear the initial resemblance was uncanny, though.

Spoiler

She totally got cuter as time went by, and now she's...well, beyond amazingly attractive.  Totally unbiased opinion here, obviously. 

On 7/26/2018 at 7:34 PM, AtlanticTug said:

LOL all I could think of looking at that photo is that I hope to God they get rid of that plant before Felicity stands up in the crib. I can't even imagine what my son would have done, he'd have been swinging like a monkey off that thing.

Not to bring up the nursery again, but don’t be silly! Girl babies would never misbehave or be destructive! Girl babies admirer plants and want to water them. They’d never get themselves covered in dirt!

On 7/28/2018 at 5:35 AM, TatiFish9 said:

Agree. And definitely get what you're saying. John David has become an overnight super pet fundie sensation. I still can't tell (and probably never will) if John David is culturally fundie or the real deal, but Abbie has the *markers* of being fully indoctrined. I was surprised she was immediately accepted by the snark community at-large but soon realized that her not being a child bride and having some education, afforded her an easy pass. And honestly they do appear in love which most people can appreciate. Otherwise, she is true 2nd gen, seems a bit stern to me. For some reason, I can see her ruling the home with an iron fist. Basically, she's Michelle without all the frills, maybe? Too early to say?  She may be none of those things. Looks can, and quite often are deceiving . I have to remind myself that constantly, because I get carried away with speculation at times.

My hope for Abbie comes from her not just pursuing more education, but for pursuing a field that is so DEFRAUDING. She had to take anatomy classes!!! Do you know what people learn about in anatomy? Hoo ha’s and pee pees!! She’s seen a penis outside of changing a diaper. That’s huge. (That’s also what she said). She probably has to help patients with catheters and bathing.

Yeah Jill “studied” midwifery, but she didn’t go near a peen.

On 8/2/2018 at 2:31 AM, Mama Mia said:

Just to point out, the US has the worst outcomes for both infant and maternal mortality in the developed world - and the vast, vast majority of babies are born in the hospital. 

https://www.thisisinsider.com/us-reportedly-most-dangerous-developed-country-give-birth-2018-7

While Jill and Joy both had difficulties, due to large, mal-positioned babies, there is no way of knowing - especially with Joy, if she “went too long” before the breech being discovered. Some baby’s turn in labor. Most providers recommend laboring at home until towards the end. That can be an hour, or a day.

Jessa and Anna have had perfectly fine home births. Jessa had a hemorrhage after the birth, that was appropriately dealt with. 

They obviously should all have trained, experienced mid-wife’s, but that doesn’t mean that everything would be hunky-dory if they chose a hospital. 

I wonder what the outcomes would look like if the data were separated by race. Black mothers and babies have a much higher rate of mortality, so I wonder where the US would rank if we looked at white mother and infant mortality. Would the US still be ranked the most dangerous place in the “developed world” to give birth? Figuring that out could help give perspective to how badly the US needs to step up and take better care of minorities.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:21 PM, BlessaYourHeart said:

Myself and two of my second cousins (all born over a 6 year span) were identical as babies and beautiful. We’ve all grown up still looking unnaturally alike, but we’re all just really average looking now :pb_lol: 

I look back at baby pictures of myself and think what the hell happened. I was a beautiful child (by western standards) and then when I hit puberty it all seemed to have went down hill :pb_lol:

On the other hand, when my god daughter was born she looked like an alien. But she’s now 10 and is the most beautiful child with thick red hair and piercing blue eyes. She really is going to break hearts. 

So you’re the opposite of Neville Longbottom?

Spoiler

ED69E229-3172-4377-85D5-EEE2DEAC7266.png.3a250051f88dd8bd06e2f56e1e7874c8.png

I long for his bottom

White women have mortality rates of 12.4 deaths per 100,000 live births.  This is still higher than the UK, Germany or France.  Unfortunately the list I'm looking at makes it hared to see unless I'm looking for a particular country, so I didn't go much farther than that.

I was a quick labor birth, barely at the hospital. I'm told the doctor said, "You've got a girl. You can finished getting scrubbed, (dad's rank)."

I was an entirely unmemorable baby, but golden ringlets and fey eyes as a child had me rocking the Shirley Temple adorableness. As an adult I'm solidly in the cute not beautiful category, though a homeless man at the pharmacy the other night told me my eyes meant I'd drowned in my last life or would in this one. So I'm also in the Yikes category of looks.

2 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Jinger and Jeremy’s baby episode is now on tlc’s app

Apparently she was induced precautionarily at a birth center (San Antonio Birth Center http://www.sabirthcenter.com/) due to the size of her sisters' babies. Both her *doctor* and *midwife* agreed on having her induced and it sounds like they were worried about her going over term. Thank you for being sensible Jinger!

Since it was scheduled, Jeremy's parents, Jinger's mom, and Jana and Laura all came to San Antonio for the birth.

They were deliberately trying to keep the baby's weight under control given everyone else has had big babies. They're acknowledging the size and complications in the past and Jinger wanted to avoid it.

(Although apparently she's seeing a Certified Professional Midwife like Jill. Still, at least there's a doctor involved as well.)

And Jessa etc. went down to San Antonio to surprise them after hearing Jinger was in labor.

Yep, definitely induced. Foley bulb, and other "natural" stimulants. But IN the hospital.

Followed by Pitocin the next morning. 

She eventually got an epidural about 24 hours after admittance she she wasn't progressing and they were hoping that would help her to relax. 

18 hours in labor when she's finally ready to push. She pushes for 30 minutes then has the baby.

Weirdly, at about the 4:20 - 4:40 marks on the second video, there are shots of someone who looks a LOT like Jill and even sort of chuckles like her. They blurred the person's face (as they did with the person closest to the camera), but this is...interesting. I mean, she has a badge and a stethoscope, so I'm sure she's meant to be there, but boy does she look like Jill.

1841397148_JillatJingersbirth-Maybe2.thumb.PNG.e457253eab1e561b06131e82f767b2a9.PNG

1438413602_JillatJingersbirth-Maybe.thumb.PNG.4c3e1f715f8172eacda89566a1869f2a.PNG

5 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

boy does she look like Jill.

That fucking over-the-shoulder braid! omfg

She went from no progress to ready and then had the baby really fast once she was ready to push. She was expecting more difficulty, but the epidural meant she didn't have to experience everything.

Everyone's in the room when they announce Felicity's name, Jana looks it up and agrees with the meaning of Felicity, then Jessa and co show up and Jessa gets the baby. 

They all agree that it's surreal. Jessa acknowledges baby fever and is glad she got to hold Felicity shortly after birth even if she wasn't there FOR the birth.

They've been doing a puzzle in Jinger's room all this time (Jinger, Jeremy, and the family in attendance). They're missing one piece to finish, and they realize Felicity's holding it (someone must have given it to her but they all think it's funny and take a picture).

Jeremy expresses increased appreciation for women after experiencing Jinger giving birth.

18 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

I'm trying to remember what I said when my son was born...I was pretty exhausted but I think the first thing I said was along the lines of "I'm so glad he's actually cute". We had totally prepared ourselves for a potato. 

I remember the first words I said when I saw my son:  "first name, middle name."  I'm  not sure if the very next thing I said was "I'm never doing that again" but that sentence was the 2nd or 3rd thing I said after giving birth (and thus, I have one child only!)

"Homeopathic remedies"? That's gotta be an error on TLC's part... (she said optimistically, having not yet watched the episode).

image.png.2e26eec6f995815b0e06f67f5110f8c3.png

30 minutes ago, TakingBibleClasses said:

"Homeopathic remedies"? That's gotta be an error on TLC's part... (she said optimistically, having not yet watched the episode).

image.png.2e26eec6f995815b0e06f67f5110f8c3.png

Thankfully, as @singsingsing points out, it's not actually true. Her midwife had her taking "herbs" which have been noted to be naturopathic, not necessarily homeopathic. But in the hospital she had medical intervention to induce labor including a foley bulb, pitocin and an epidural. 

All other things aside, I'm just glad she had a doctor and a midwife- to whoever thanked Jinger for being sensible in regards to being induced due to family genetics so it seems, I concur!

If she was taking 'herbs' that sounds naturopathic, not homeopathic. A lot of people confuse the two. Naturopathic medicine can be totally fine, or it can be incredibly dangerous. Homeopathy is essentially just water (which of course can also be incredibly dangerous if you're taking it in lieu of needed medication/medical attention). I'm going to guess that TLC meant naturopathic, but I haven't seen the episode so I can't say for sure.

I think jingle got the encouragement from Mom Vuolo. It seems like people were annoyed that Michelle was there lol

She's a braver girl than me having the in-laws in there while she gave birth. At any rate, she seemed pleasantly surprised with it once active labour actually got underway and I'm impressed she had an epidural with minimal references to it not being a fully natural birth or whatever they normally go on about.

Did common sense finally hit the Duggar family?

Looked to me like she also transferred out of the birth centre into a full hospital which is... surprising actually.

Eh, I'm not sure why she was induced...she wasn't even at 41 weeks yet.  Yes, a family history of large babies bears watching, but a competent doc/midwife could tell about how big the baby was.  And her measurements didn't suggest ginormous baby either...I wasn't surprised her baby was 8'3" (same weight as my DD1, actually).  

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

If she was taking 'herbs' that sounds naturopathic, not homeopathic. A lot of people confuse the two. Naturopathic medicine can be totally fine, or it can be incredibly dangerous. Homeopathy is essentially just water (which of course can also be incredibly dangerous if you're taking it in lieu of needed medication/medical attention). I'm going to guess that TLC meant naturopathic, but I haven't seen the episode so I can't say for sure.

In retrospect, I think you're right. I got them confused and TLC may just be flailing away at their descriptions.  Besides, the description for the second short birth episode suggests that there was the genuine possibility of a C-Section for Jinger. From the actual episode it doesn't sound like they every really got close to that in real life.

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

No, it's accurate to the period prior to her going to the hospital. Her midwife had her taking "herbs". But in the hospital she had medical intervention to induce labor including a foley bulb, pitocin and an epidural. 

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

What @singsingsing said. Just watched the episode, and TLC did make a mistake. Her midwife (an LM CPM, according to her hospital scrubs) and maybe the doctors at the hospital (?) had her trying more "natural" induction methods at first. NOT homeopathy, thankfully. Looks like Jinger had a pretty sensible birth plan.

12 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

She's a braver girl than me having the in-laws in there while she gave birth. At any rate, she seemed pleasantly surprised with it once active labour actually got underway and I'm impressed she had an epidural with minimal references to it not being a fully natural birth or whatever they normally go on about.

Did common sense finally hit the Duggar family?

Looked to me like she also transferred out of the birth centre into a full hospital which is... surprising actually.

Braver girl than me, she had Mechelle there! Can you imagine giving birth with that woman harping on about your sweet blessing in that high pitched baby voice in your ear while you’re pushing a watermelon out of your nether regions?

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived