IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 42: American Girl (grand)Duggar

Georgiana

16 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Eh, I'm not sure why she was induced...she wasn't even at 41 weeks yet.  Yes, a family history of large babies bears watching, but a competent doc/midwife could tell about how big the baby was.  And her measurements didn't suggest ginormous baby either...I wasn't surprised her baby was 8'3" (same weight as my DD1, actually).  

I completely agree with you on this one. Being induced based on the size of your sisters' previous babies is not medically necessary. And 8lb 3oz is completely normal for a full-term infant, even if culturally we may call that "big". Not to mention that growth scans are wildly inaccurate and a competent midwife could definitely tell a good range of how big the baby was.

This is a pretty good analysis. https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

I have issues with the way Jill, Jessa, and Joy handled their homebirths, but none of that is due to the size of their babies. It's a myth that the average woman can't give birth to a "big" baby. I am glad that they and Jinger all have children who are safe and sound, though.

Also as far as the CPM credential goes, in my opinion it's a good credential, but only as good as the midwife herself is. Not everyone is like Jill or Teresa, and it's important to remember that.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Jinger was induced partly for her own peace of mind? She expressed anxiety about giving birth in the past, and after watching her sisters have huge babies, emergency C-sections and other complications, maybe she was really petrified of going through the same ordeal herself. I wouldn't fault her if she and her doctor discussed it and decided it was the best option for her.

16 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Would her stature play any role in deciding to induce? She's always struck me as one of the more petite of the sisters. 

No, it should not. You can't tell what the actual size of a woman's pelvis is by looking at her stature. So just because a woman has big or small hips, it doesn't mean anything about her ability to give birth, because it's the inner part of the pelvis that is important in delivery. Additionally, in pregnancy, those ligaments actually loosen and are able to move as the baby descends during delivery. It's really cool. :)

Glad her birth was relatively uneventful, and she seemed to have gotten the kind of birth she wanted, not necessarily one like her sisters'. Pitocin contractions are of the devil, thank Jesus for epidurals.

I'm glad she had the option to make that choice if that's what she wanted. 

I think it's interesting that they are collectively admitting a problem with LGA babies in the other daughters. And the fact that Jinger tried to control the size of the baby tells me she was on a pretty controlled diet.  Just another thing suggesting that gestational diabetes is a likely culprit. And not to defend the Duggars but I have come across a shocking number of women who decline the oral glucose tolerance test for basically no good reason whatsoever. Blows my mind.

6 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

I think it's interesting that they are collectively admitting a problem with LGA babies in the other daughters. And the fact that Jinger tried to control the size of the baby tells me she was on a pretty controlled diet.  Just another thing suggesting that gestational diabetes is a likely culprit. And not to defend the Duggars but I have come across a shocking number of women who decline the oral glucose tolerance test for basically no good reason whatsoever. Blows my mind.

I'd say she was just eating healthy vs. actively controlling her diet/size of the baby.

14 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Maybe Jinger was induced partly for her own peace of mind? She expressed anxiety about giving birth in the past, and after watching her sisters have huge babies, emergency C-sections and other complications, maybe she was really petrified of going through the same ordeal herself. I wouldn't fault her if she and her doctor discussed it and decided it was the best option for her.

That's the impression that I got. Jinger seemed anxious about giving birth, and she made it sound like having good medical care/being induced helped make it easier for her. 

And I know that Jeremy is still a douche, but he was really sweet when talking about Jinger. "My wife is a strong woman...every time she said I'm in pain I can't do it I said you're stronger than the pain."  I wonder how often these young woman have been told they are strong? I could be wrong, but I don't remember any of the other husbands calling their wives strong during labor. 

11 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I dunno, I always imagine people looking like their avatars. So @singsingsing is clearly a deer. Obviously.

Clearly she is one of Rufus’ chosen.

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

Interestingly, in the first of the two episodes from tonight a quite pregnant Joy has a blood test with her midwife in which she tests slightly high for glucose but says none of her sisters or her mother has had a blood sugar issue. She is already doing food tracking which suggests that maybe there's been a previous concern, but she kind of blows it off. And in the second episode, a third-trimester Joy says she changed her diet and it fixed her glucose problems. I'm somewhat skeptical I'll admit given how big Gideon ended up, but it's possible.

So one of the first things I took away from the videos is that Jinger's midwife had NO issue in determining the baby's position. Even had Jeremy feel. So how in God's name did both Jill and Joy's midwives not know until 20+ hours later or until it became an emergency? It lends itself to the crappy level of care it seems they both had.

Jinger looks like hell and admits she needed intervention, and that's a GOOD thing. There's no style team there applying makeup and making sure she's camera ready. It's raw and real. Jeremy (while still a toxic excuse for a human being) encourages Jinger and admits he has new respect for women. It's not much but it's something and I love the little soccer player comment. I really do hope in 5 years we maybe get a Insta of litte Felicity running down a field in shin guards and cleats. 

So now it seems like Laura goes everywhere with Jana. Maybe we can at least hope that this is an accountability buddy her own age rather than having to drag the Howlers with her everywhere? Not that being forced to travel with someone doesn't suck for a grown woman but...

2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Is anyone else kind of annoyed Jessa brought her entire family to "surprise" Jinger in the delivery room? I've never given birth, but I really don't think I'd want a suprise visitor who brings her own babies only a few hours after labor. 

Normally I would think that was totally out of line, but since Jessa and Jinger are so close, it doesn't seem that weird to me - and Jinger looked genuinely happy to see Jessa when she showed up. And IIRC, Jinger said Jessa was planning to be there for the birth anyway.

2 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Interestingly, in the first of the two episodes from tonight a quite pregnant Joy has a blood test with her midwife in which she tests slightly high for glucose but says none of her sisters or her mother has had a blood sugar issue. She is already doing food tracking which suggests that maybe there's been a previous concern, but she kind of blows it off. And in the second episode, a third-trimester Joy says she changed her diet and it fixed her glucose problems. I'm somewhat skeptical I'll admit given how big Gideon ended up, but it's possible.

I'm no expert, and of course Joy knows much more about her own health than I do, but one normal test wouldn't actually disprove there being an issue, right?

Joy saying none of her sisters had glucose issues just makes me think some of them (Jill) didn't bother to even get tested. 

I haven't watched Jinger's birth episode but I'm glad she had an epidural in a hospital like she wanted. I hope she actually wanted all those people in the room too because there is so many. I'd hate that. 

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Joy saying none of her sisters had glucose issues just makes me think some of them (Jill) didn't bother to even get tested. 

I haven't watched Jinger's birth episode but I'm glad she had an epidural in a hospital like she wanted. I hope she actually wanted all those people in the room too because there is so many. I'd hate that. 

It sounds like she didn't really *want* the epidural, but was open to it if necessary. The show says they gave it to her after she'd failed to progress and they hoped that the relaxation would cause things to progress and apparently it did.

So not her first choice, but not something she was super distraught about either like seems to happen to mothers who are super wedded to their "ideal" birth plan and things have to change.

Overall, however, she had a relatively low stress, low hazard birth, and was even assisted by a midwife IN a hospital with an overseeing doctor, so best of both worlds that allowed her to get the general experience she wanted in a responsible way.

3 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Is anyone else kind of annoyed Jessa brought her entire family to "surprise" Jinger in the delivery room? I've never given birth, but I really don't think I'd want a suprise visitor who brings her own babies only a few hours after labor. 

No, as close as Jinger and Jessa are it seemed to be a very welcome surprise, I think Jessa knows Jinger well enough to know if bringing the whole family is a good idea or not. You may have been annoyed, but not everyone would be Jinger seemed genuinely happy to see Jessa & Ben and  the kids. I would have loved the surprise visit but my sister wouldn't. That is why I had along with my husband, my sister, my mom & dad, MIL was there for a while and my BFF popped in a couple times (she's an RN and was on duty in a differently area of the hospital) I liked the support from my family. My sister on the other hand wanted NO ONE but her husband with her, so it would have annoyed her to have that surprise visit. 

Jinger and Jeremy just posted a video promoting SWAN4Kids that features a very squirmy Felicity (admittedly somewhat as a talking point). She's already looking big, and indeed, very squirmy!

739831552_JJF2.thumb.PNG.ec7af5ec7cd692ab97b73814e8514fdf.PNG

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

No, as close as Jinger and Jessa are it seemed to be a very welcome surprise, I think Jessa knows Jinger well enough to know if bringing the whole family is a good idea or not. You may have been annoyed, but not everyone would be Jinger seemed genuinely happy to see Jessa & Ben and  the kids. I would have loved the surprise visit but my sister wouldn't. That is why I had along with my husband, my sister, my mom & dad, MIL was there for a while and my BFF popped in a couple times (she's an RN and was on duty in a differently area of the hospital) I liked the support from my family. My sister on the other hand wanted NO ONE but her husband with her, so it would have annoyed her to have that surprise visit. 

They also waited to show up until after the birth so they weren't an additional distraction, letting just the people Jinger asked be there. They stayed at a hotel and kept themselves busy until after Felicity's arrival. They had to wait longer than expected since it took longer than they'd all apparently assumed, and Jessa seemed a little sad not to have been there, but they respected Jinger's decision and didn't arrive until after Jinger was finished with the birthing process and resting.

@Shadoewolf I'm pretty certain that Jill & Joy didn't "suddenly" have breach babies, they lied, to save face, they needed to make the c/section be a legitimate medical reason, not failure on their part for not having proper prenatal care that could have possibly avoided the necessity of a c/section.  Isn't it a little odd that the 3 c/sections after long labors were all due "breach babies". Its a load of shit. 

32 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@Shadoewolf I'm pretty certain that Jill & Joy didn't "suddenly" have breach babies, they lied, to save face, they needed to make the c/section be a legitimate medical reason, not failure on their part for not having proper prenatal care that could have possibly avoided the necessity of a c/section.  Isn't it a little odd that the 3 c/sections after long labors were all due "breach babies". Its a load of shit. 

Especially considering that we now know that Sam was in the NICU for a while and in a shocking twist for a family that pimped their micro-preemie out to reality television from the literal second she was born onwards, it was never disclosed what went wrong. 

I totally agree with you, actually my first thought was "there's no fucking way Jill and Joy's midwives didn't know unless they are completely incompetent morons!" Which appears to be case, I was trying to word it a little better. What sickens me is for a family that is SO pro-birth, they take such crazy stupid risks thinking God has their backs. 

I liked the way they told his parents about her pregnancy.  His Mom’s initial response was pretty funny.

Joy, I can’t relate to her on any level. I hope this doesn’t sound too mean but she seems willfully ignorant to me. The high glucose level at 38 weeks that was miraculously fixed by a salad did not ring true.

so I'm watching the JInger birth episode and they are at the center and I notice all the footprints on the wall. and I thought hmm I wonder if that's the same place Cil Waller uses. 

Spoiler

Thank you JinJer for doing it this way. So glad and relieved the birth went well.

Is there an upload of the birth epoisde up anywhere? Can't watch the TLC from Canada. 

16 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Thank you JinJer for doing it this way. So glad and relieved the birth went well.

Is there an upload of the birth epoisde up anywhere? Can't watch the TLC from Canada. 

I checked You tube and dailymotion and didn't see any but give it a day or two and it might be up on one or the other. 

7 hours ago, finnlassie said:

I wonder if they have all female crew to film the births. Or are they just hiding everything so well with fabrics and things?

I thought about this when I watched some of the previous birth specials. I'm going to take a guess and say that it's the regular filming crew, including the male members, but that they are only allowed to film/be in the room from certain angles. 

Happy that Jinger got a relatively easy birth. I am a bit surprised that they choose to induce her prior to her ET without medical need (as far as I am aware).  No wonder it took a long time and more than one try to progress. If the baby isn’t ready, inductions often take time (can also happen when you are overdue though).

But in the end it seemed like an uneventful birth which makes me very happy for her, especially as she always seemed as the one who was more scared of giving birth.

I do believe she watched her diet and tried all she could to make sure her baby wasn’t too big (as far as one can influence it). As it seemed her doctors were aware of the big babies in the family I can see her being monitored more closely and probably having more than one blood sugar test just to make sure.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived