IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 42: American Girl (grand)Duggar

Georgiana

When I was helping my parents sort through books to keep/throw away/donate/sell before they moved to a new house, I found my mom's baby journal she kept just after I was born (and then dropped off after around six months and didn't bother to do one for my sister because newborn + preschooler = ain't nobody got time for that). According to her, the OB/GYN doing the c-section exclaimed "what a beautiful baby!" when she scooped me out. I suspect this doctor said that about every baby she scooped out, though. From my baby pictures, I think I looked like a pretty bog-standard Winston Churchill doppelganger baby. My sister had much bluer eyes than she has now (they're sort of more blue-greenish now), and her eyes are quite large in proportion to the rest of her features, so in a lot of her baby photos she kinda looks like baby Frodo Baggins. 

And as for the rest of the baby journal my mom had, my favorite entry was one where she, in the span of two entries, went from calling me a "fat little Buddha who sleeps all day and is just so calm" to "I think I gave birth to the reincarnation of Linda Blair in The Exorcist. So much vomit. So much screaming." 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was an ugly newborn and baby. I was cute as a toddler until I turned 8 or 9. My teen years I was ugly aga, one of the reasons I was bullied so much and I look at myself now, as not good looking. Honestly, if I could afford it, I get some plastic surgery done. 

I was a cute baby but had an awkward phase that lasted from like 2-18.   I have big eyes and big lips, and they just weren’t proportional until I had hit adulthood. (Also braces for years don’t exactly do anything to minimize the lips.) On top of that, I was a nerdy horse girl... so I was ever so glad to leave high school. 

I was bald until about 2 years old and continued being a child with only a little bit of hair for a few more years. Next to that my parents dressed me on jeans and T-shirts so most people thought I was a boy until I was about 8 years old. 

I did not really care since I was a tomboy anyway. 

15 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I gave birth to the world's ugliest baby 28 years ago. I mean, the kid was BUTT UGLY, I'm talking FUGLY! He was long and skinny, had a full head of hair, the biggest eyes you've ever seen in a newborn and bruises on his forehead. I mean...we're talking the antithesis to the Gerber baby. Now, he's gorgeous. I know he's my kid and all but damn...he makes girls lose their marbles. 

#1 son looked like a fuzzy football. Short and round with just fuzz on his head. #1 daughter was gorgeous at birth...and is still a stunningly beautiful woman. 

My daughter was pretty hideous at birth, she was red and fat and puffy, it took about a week for her to get pretty damn cute aside from a clogged tear duct that gave her a red puffy/pusy eye that took until about 10 months to clear up. And not because I'm her mom but she was pretty much the cutest damn baby girl ever, I have strangers who said so too.  :my_heart: Now she's a beautiful 18 year old. 

DS was adorable at birth and a cute toddler and a pretty handsome young man. 

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

I was bald until about 2 years old and continued being a child with only a little bit of hair for a few more years. Next to that my parents dressed me on jeans and T-shirts so most people thought I was a boy until I was about 8 years old. 

I did not really care since I was a tomboy anyway. 

I was bald for a long time as well, so my mother used to tape bows on my head so people would know I was a girl.  (I've always found it kind of funny that my Mum could never figure out why people thought I was a boy, as I've said in here a few times, my name is used more often for males than females so it's no wonder people came to the conclusion they did)

I haven't seen any baby photos of myself, but I do have one photo of myself as a toddler where I'm standing in a corner (I'd been bad and was being disciplined) wearing a little dress and it makes me laugh 'cause I have stocky legs in that photo, and stocky legs now!  And the same wispy curly hair.  

But, as Jimmy Soul sang in 1963,

"If you wana be happy for the rest of your life,

Never make a pretty woman your wife.

So for my personal point of view,

Get an ugly girl to marry you!"

As harsh as this song is and sounds, it gave me hope when I was told by my peers that I did not meet up to their standards of attractiveness. There's a line in there about she's ugly but she sure can cook so I decided after I heard this to make myself a good cook. Fortunately, I think I'm one of those women whose looks up here with age and yes, I'm still cooking!

40 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

As harsh as this song is and sounds, it gave me hope when I was told by my peers that I did not meet up to their standards of attractiveness. There's a line in there about she's ugly but she sure can cook so I decided after I heard this to make myself a good cook. Fortunately, I think I'm one of those women whose looks up here with age and yes, I'm still cooking!

That song cracks me up!!! Now I'm going to be singing it for the next few days haha!

16 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

And as for the rest of the baby journal my mom had, my favorite entry was one where she, in the span of two entries, went from calling me a "fat little Buddha who sleeps all day and is just so calm" to "I think I gave birth to the reincarnation of Linda Blair in The Exorcist. So much vomit. So much screaming." 

My mum kept the book up for a while. Most entries about me were about how I was very stubborn, didn’t have any friends, and only read books all the time. And my favourite about my third birthday party. ”It was a horrible day. Iamtheway and K fought the whole time.” :my_biggrin:

The stubborness and the books are still true, but I have managed to make some friends as I grew older. My very first friend, the K I fought with for a whole birthday, and I have reconnected as adults and keep in touch. No fighting so far, on birthdays or any other days. 

I was a fairly pretty baby/ toddler. Lots and lots of black curly hair and bright blue eyes that eventually settled into various shades of hazel, green, blue, and grey from the iris out. I wasn’t a pretty child and puberty was less than kind. As an adult, I don’t consider myself attractive (full disclosure: I just take care of my facial hair, I don’t wear make up and my hair is either just in a braid or a bun) but Mr. Kitten thought I was pretty as soon as we met and still swears I’m the prettiest woman he’s ever met. I don’t always buy it, but I’ll take it. 

On 8/3/2018 at 3:50 AM, CarrotCake said:

We have an old saying in Dutch that ugly babies become pretty when they grow up (talking about girls).

I guess they made that up to comfort moms of ugly baby girls.

My cousin was the ugliest baby I've ever seen. She looked like a hairless monkey. However, she grew up to be gorgeous. She could be a model.

It's hard to predict what a baby will look like when its older. 

I was very cute from the age of 2 until I hit puberty, when my eyebrows grew bushy and my previously perfect banana curls decided to go away. 

Now the only comment I ever get about my appearance is how short I am. 

I thought my first baby was the most gorgeous baby every born. I couldn't believe I'd made him.  round face, big brown eyes. With the second, he was OK, but I just didn't think he compared looks-wise to #1 (that sounds awful, I know).  The weird thing is, though, when I go back and look at pictures, baby #2 was actually totally adorable.  WTH was I thinking?

22 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

My mom loved that song! She sang it all the time!

I completely forgot to mention this! A little less than a month ago I was visiting my grandparents, and they have a tv. And HOLY SHIT TLC WAS SHOWING COUNTING ON. So of course I had to watch the episode to see where Finland was going. And I really had to hold my laughter since my grandparents had already gone to bed.

It was the episode where we find out about Jeremy's freaky mozzarella block fetish. I couldn't start STOP imagining him drilling a hole.... ok I'll stop there. But yeah. Jinger was oh so overwhelmed that they were only buying one apple. However, all that really caught my attention was Jeremy's obsession with that huge mozzarella block.

12 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

It was the episode where we find out about Jeremy's freaky mozzarella block fetish. I couldn't start imagining him drilling a hole.... ok I'll stop there. But yeah. Jinger was oh so overwhelmed that they were only buying one apple. However, all that really caught my attention was Jeremy's obsession with that huge mozzarella block.

Hey, in Jeremey's defense, I would eat a whole block of mozzarella if I knew I could get away with it.  

2 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Hey, in Jeremey's defense, I would eat a whole block of mozzarella if I knew I could get away with it.  

I'd prefer a pile of fresh mozzarella blobs. Apparently blocks use skimmed milk. Though I ain't gonna judge people liking hard mozzarella, it's a preference and has its time and place. I've actually never seen mozzarella blocks here in Finland, maybe you can find them at fancier shops. Just shredded mozzarella ready in a bag, really.

Your quote also made me realise I had written a completely wrong word in my post and fixed it, lol.

11 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

I'd prefer a pile of fresh mozzarella blobs. Apparently blocks use skimmed milk. Though I ain't gonna judge people liking hard mozzarella, it's a preference and has its time and place. I've actually never seen mozzarella blocks here in Finland, maybe you can find them at fancier shops. Just shredded mozzarella ready in a bag, really.

Your quote also made me realise I had written a completely wrong word in my post and fixed it, lol.

I think Babybell cheese is a good deal similar, isn't it? You know those little wax-wrapped cheeses?

9 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I think Babybell cheese is a good deal similar, isn't it? You know those little wax-wrapped cheeses?

Wax wrapped cheese goes closer to gouda and the like. But yeah I know what you mean. We weren't allowed those as kids (later find out it was because they're too expensive), I had my first one when I lived in Scotland. Some kids had them as snacks in the school I had my teaching placement at and got way too curious. They're... like rubber.

I was a Winston Churchill baby. I was breech, two weeks early, bald a cueball, and due to a breech birth, my head was shaped like a football. My Dad famously asked "Which of them was the ugly red baby?" To which my Mom pointed to me. The newborn stage was not good for me. Once I got a bit chubby and looked less like a potato, I did ok. I'm still an ok adult. :P 

I was bald forever! I got my first haircut at four and I really didn't need it! :P 

I was 15 days early, jaundiced, and had a head full of THICK jet black hair that stood straight up. My mum says when they held me up for her to see, she looked at me and went, "...Great." :pb_lol: I did end up getting a bit cuter, though:

Spoiler

babbysing.png.20351513099482aebc9db6456df4d86a.png

Re: baby hair: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-45044503/the-baby-hair-that-shocked-a-midwife

I was a fat, dark-haired baby (they called me Jabba!) who promptly became, and stayed, scrawny and blonde once I left the baby stage. Sister had red hair, also promptly turned blonde. I wonder what genes determine what baby hair looks like?

I was born with brown eyes. They quickly turned blue. I was a bald baby and a bald 3 year old. I now have a decent head of hair. I still have nearly invisible eyebrows, though. 

42 minutes ago, Kailash said:

@singsingsing No no no no! In my head you’re blonde. No idea why. 

I think you were adorable in both pics! 

Nope, not blonde and never have been - but weirdly enough you’re not the first person to tell me they imagined me as a blonde before seeing me, haha!

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived