IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 42: American Girl (grand)Duggar

Georgiana

8 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Was that the good old toilet birth?

As so much is joked about the "toilet birth", I feel I need to defend this humble location.

I was fortunate enough to spend most of my very recent labour at home, and I spent about an hour of it - yes, on the toilet. It was brilliant, and I highly recommend it. The position is comfy, you can lean back and forth as needed, you don't need to worry about anything leaking, and the toilet is a private place that your subconscious connects with relaxing and losening the pelvic floor muscles. And finally, it's not very different from a birthing chair (which would have been my favourite position to deliver hadn't the hospital bullied me into delivering flat on my back :'-( )

It's not glamorous and does not sound nice, but I am honestly surprised not more babies are born on the toilet.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, lizzybee said:

When they mentioned the foley catheter I cringed. I had one of those to dilate with DS2 in June and it hurt so badly. I'm kind of still traumatized by the experience. It took the doctor several tries to get it inserted correctly, there was blood everywhere from my cervix being aggravated, and honestly I would never consent to having that done again. I'm guessing it either wasn't that bad for Jinger or they chose to gloss over it. I hope her experience with it wasn't like mine though. My stomach's churning just thinking about it again. 

I had one in April with my son after I was failing to progress and I had  been refusing any medicine for the pain up to that point because the contractions weren't so bad yet. No one disclosed how painful it would be and no one offered me the option of getting pain meds into my system before inserting it. It look over 15 minutes to insert it all while having Pitocin induced contractions every 2 minutes. Once it was in, I couldn't handle it and they brought up the anesthesiologist for my epidural. I had to sit up, still, with the bulb in. I was TERRIFIED I would move during contractions and paralyze myself. I have never experienced pain like that in my 30 years. I will never consent to that again either. It was traumatizing and I felt utterly betrayed by my medical team. 

21 hours ago, lizzybee said:

This guy is straight out of ATI (told me so himself) and his wife doesn't wear pants. 

So I know what this really means, but I read it and thought, "God, I'd love to go through life never wearing pants"... but in my case, no skirts either.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Gasp! Felicity is IN THE LIBRARY and WEARING PANTS.

/sarcasm

And without a bow on her head!  Seriously, people are going to think she's a boy.

I can't imagine studying with a new baby in the house.  My upstairs neighbour had a baby in July and he seems to  have two modes:  sleeping and crying.

thank you for posting the birth video. It was lovely. 

this is actually more enjoyable ten times more than Jill giving birth to Izzy's birth special.  J&J need props for that at least. 

Jinger it seems got the life Jill apparently wanted. 

there was no drama 

just a nice birth 

Jana's gloom and doom was not needed.  

I honestly believe Jill just believed a bunch of birth woo.

Jinger had real fears of birth so she found a trusted midwife (CPM, but works in the hospital), got induced, had that epidural that relaxed her body, and had a vaginal birth. I am happy for her. I really hope if Jill had birth trauma, she saw/is seeing someone to work through that.

I liked the birth videos and was impressed with Jinger and her determination to do it her way.  Real hospital plus a  midwife with an OBGyn in consultation.  She wished to deliver near her due date, and was induced and accepted an epidural. She followed medical advise. She kept fit, watched her diet, exercised, walked and kept herself strong physically and mentally.   She worried about the jumbo babies her sisters had with complications and tried to do what was necessary to have a drama free birth experience.  Jeremy said she was strong and I see her strength.  He was likable in this episode, and I feel they have a truely loving relationship.

I can’t  imagine laboring and delivering with my parents and sibling in the room,  much less a film crew.

One thing that seems clear to me is that she does not miss the chaos of  TTH at all.   She seemed very comfortable in the Vuolos  home having a healthy breakfast on real plates.

We talk about Free Jinger quite a bit, obviously.  I do tend to think Jinger has blossomed away from TTH. I surmise that  Jinger is probably as free as she wants to be. I sincerely hope Felicity is supported by her parents in her choices, even where they differ from Jinger and Jeremy. Free Felicity.  

1 hour ago, meowfundiecatz said:

I honestly believe Jill just believed a bunch of birth woo.

Jinger had real fears of birth so she found a trusted midwife (CPM, but works in the hospital), got induced, had that epidural that relaxed her body, and had a vaginal birth. I am happy for her. I really hope if Jill had birth trauma, she saw/is seeing someone to work through that.

i think also it's because jinger is not jill. Jinger is herself trying to be herself whereas Jill is trying to be mission wife 

Yes it's a cult but Jinger should get props 

I might be a hardcore anomaly but my experience with a foley bulb wasn’t bad at all. 

I got induced for high blood pressure, at 39+4. I had 2 foley bulbs put in over the 4 days of my induction (that’s a whole other story) and while the first one wasn’t comfortable in the slightest, neither one was anywhere near as bad as what the other ladies here have described. 

The Foley was the weirdest part of the prep for my caseasrean - I had the spinal in but I could still feel (sorta) my legs and vag area - I remember thinking whoever was messing around down there wasn't being terribly gentle . Now removing the cath sucked a little - like peeing fire momentarily

Just watched the special and I say good for Jinger for voicing her fears to her medical team and coming up with a plan that seemed safe, even if a bit unorthordox of inducing for the reasons given. 

I still wish they addressed why they went to SA though. I'm hoping it's because they did some research and found the team they were most comfortable with there. I liked that when Michelle asked if they knew what enterance of the hospital to use Jinger replied yes because they had visited it before.  Seems like they were well prepared.

I would never be comfortable with my mom, or anyone for that matter, filming my birth but I find it interesting that this is the second birth in a row where there was no need to blur any of mom's privates out. If someone is comfortable with all that being shown than great for them, but it gave me a little hope for future births on the show that the mother has a say in what she does and doesn't want shown.  In Kendra's video it was all above the waist while she was pushing, and now Jinger's was covered by drapping. I really can't see Jessa allowing something to be filmed she wasn't ok with, Anna on the other hand I'm not so sure of.

I don't see an issue with Jessa showing up. My oldest/dearest friend lives several hours away and would not be expecting her to make the trip out while I was in the hospital but I would be happily surprised if she showed up after the birth.  For the birth I want baby's father and medical team only in the room. 

I would also like to add a praise Rufus for epidurals. While I've never given birth I had bilateral knee replacements last year and luckily my hospital had a policy of keeping it in for the first night. I was alert and emailing people 30 mins after getting out of surgery I felt so good. The following night was a very different story :(   If, hopefully when, I'm able to carry a child you can bet I will be getting that wondrous procedure again. 

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

The Foley was the weirdest part of the prep for my caseasrean - I had the spinal in but I could still feel (sorta) my legs and vag area - I remember thinking whoever was messing around down there wasn't being terribly gentle . Now removing the cath sucked a little - like peeing fire momentarily

That’s a different thing. Here’s an explanation  :

https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/foley-bulb-induction

Watched the episode and there is one thing I’d love to say:

“Jana- shut the f**k up!!!!”

There more I see of her the more annoyed I am. The midwife and Jinger had quite a different opinion about the birth so they should have cut out her useless comments.

If anyone can find an online version of the birth I’d gratefully appreciate the link... had hoped it would be on YouTube [emoji51]

If anyone can find an online version of the birth I’d gratefully appreciate the link... had hoped it would be on YouTube [emoji51]

Found one, finally!!

Thanks for posting the video.

my overwhelming take away from it is - Jessa, why do you take your family everywhere you go? I remember a friend of mine turning up at the hospital to visit me post birth with her 7 year old, and I was not impressed. Thankfully the midwives pointed out the no kids (except siblings of new baby) rule and the visit was very short. If I was Jinger and saw two germ infested toddlers approaching the sterile environment of my hospital bed and brand new baby, I’d be furious. 

Why oh why couldn’t Jessa pop along on her own for a visit? To be honest I think she should thane left her boys and Ben at home in Arkansas and made a flying visit alone. I guess she is still nursing though. Maybe don’t come at all then. Come in a few weeks when things are settled. 

Jessa does the same every time. Brings her entourage when she comes to ‘help’ with moving, ‘help’ pick wedding dresses, ‘help’ decorate etc etc etc. Some environments work better without tiny children running around them. 

*I say all of this with the caveat that I may or may not have also suffered from the delusion that everyone thought my toddlers were wonderful and welcome  too. It’s only now that they’re grown that my tolerance of such things is low. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

This is the first time I saw Jinger as a confident young woman making her own medical decisions. She was able to speak about her fears and accept the measures one could take to make her birthing process be less traumatizing. You could really see the fear in her eyes and knowing her sisters' birthing experiences, those are valid fears. So I think she has really blossomed away from the Duggars.

2 hours ago, Irishy said:

Why oh why couldn’t Jessa pop along on her own for a visit? 

I don't think Jessa's ever been on her own for an extended period (more than a few hours even). There's always Ben, her kids, her siblings or a friend. The only time she ever spent alone was in the early days of her marriage before Spurgeon was born, and even then it was probably dto buy groceries or driving to the TTH for company.

Breastfeeding Henry aside, I'm not sure she's comfortable being completely alone for extended periods.

7 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Watched the episode and there is one thing I’d love to say:

“Jana- shut the f**k up!!!!”

There more I see of her the more annoyed I am. The midwife and Jinger had quite a different opinion about the birth so they should have cut out her useless comments.

"Jana"?!? Was that the midwife's name? I haven't watched the video, and can't imagine the oldest Duggar girl talking enough or saying anything to justify this response...

In today's Washington Post there are two articles about inducing labor at 39 weeks with a view to reducing complications and c sections.

I was not able to do a link, can try again later.

4 hours ago, Irishy said:

my overwhelming take away from it is - Jessa, why do you take your family everywhere you go? I remember a friend of mine turning up at the hospital to visit me post birth with her 7 year old, and I was not impressed. Thankfully the midwives pointed out the no kids (except siblings of new baby) rule and the visit was very short.

I thought the Gothard crowd believes in "family integrated" everything-- the entire family should work together/ attend church services together (no sending children to church nursery)/ go everywhere together.

29 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I thought the Gothard crowd believes in "family integrated" everything-- the entire family should work together/ attend church services together (no sending children to church nursery)/ go everywhere together.

yes and I think that everyone branching out to a degree and Jinger branching out the most - they try to influence each other. But Jana's little speech was not needed because it was out of place. Jinger seemed happy and in control of her own situation and I will even give jessa a pass because Jessa wanted to be part of the special day and she can't travel without her kids or ben so it's ok that she randomly showed up while the tv crew were there.....could she have shown up the next day without the camera crew in tow, sure but then she would not get a free flight for 4 :D

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived