IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 42: American Girl (grand)Duggar

Georgiana

I was a little impressed by her exercise plan that they mentioned - walking 3 miles a day and doing 50-100 squats. That's definitely more of a regimented exercise routine than we've seen from any of the other family members. Sounds like Jeremy's athletic qualities have made an impact (esp. since we've seen them play tennis, etc.), and I think that's great.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, xenobia said:

I thought about this when I watched some of the previous birth specials. I'm going to take a guess and say that it's the regular filming crew, including the male members, but that they are only allowed to film/be in the room from certain angles. 

I don't know about Anna's births, but I think everything has been filmed by a family member during the actual labor. The grainy video quality + you can sometimes hear Michelle or Jana talking from behind the camera. I know Michelle did a lot of filming at the hospital during Garrett's birth.

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

I don't know about Anna's births, but I think everything has been filmed by a family member during the actual labor. The grainy video quality + you can sometimes hear Michelle or Jana talking from behind the camera. I know Michelle did a lot of filming at the hospital during Garrett's birth.

I just watched the birth special, and yes -  you're right. I definitely think that Michelle filmed Jingers birth. 

I love how Jessa somehow managed to make this all about HER and her "surprise" of visiting jinger and the baby.  I'm very glad that Jinger was able to have the birth that she wanted, and that having Michelle all up in her privates didnt prevent her from getting the epidural if she felt that was best for her and her child.  I love how Jana had to have a little spot to "explain" why the epidural was medically ok because the fact that it was JInger's choice apparently isnt good enough.

When they mentioned the foley catheter I cringed. I had one of those to dilate with DS2 in June and it hurt so badly. I'm kind of still traumatized by the experience. It took the doctor several tries to get it inserted correctly, there was blood everywhere from my cervix being aggravated, and honestly I would never consent to having that done again. I'm guessing it either wasn't that bad for Jinger or they chose to gloss over it. I hope her experience with it wasn't like mine though. My stomach's churning just thinking about it again. 

2 hours ago, xenobia said:

I just watched the birth special, and yes -  you're right. I definitely think that Michelle filmed Jingers birth. 

Maybe Laura was the designated family videographer this time?

Has Michelle attended every grandbaby's birth? 

I don't think they minded The Seewald invasion. Jeremy and Jinger have definitely shown partiality to Spurge and Henry since day one. I think they really delight in them. 

Joy seemed so blahhh while pregnant. Almost depressed.

18 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Could you elaborate on what you mean? Hair colour is most definitely inherited, and so is intelligence to some degree...

I offer you to DNA studies especially in the nuance of hair colour.  There are thousands of basic shades of the four main colours, and I agree they would be hard to distinguish with the naked eye.  

As to intelligence, a person is influenced by what is around them certainly and the people in their families are part of that.  But your own intelligence is part of your make up.  A "smart" person can come from not terribly bright parents, and the other way around.  There are degrees here too.  So-and-so is smarter than his brother.  I am not an expert in this field but their are studies and they are interesting.  No one group can claim advantage.  Eugenics are a myth.

7 hours ago, beepy13 said:

I was a little impressed by her exercise plan that they mentioned - walking 3 miles a day and doing 50-100 squats. That's definitely more of a regimented exercise routine than we've seen from any of the other family members. Sounds like Jeremy's athletic qualities have made an impact (esp. since we've seen them play tennis, etc.), and I think that's great.

I got the impression those particular exercises were partly to stay fit/ healthy / keep up stamina - but largely to promote going into labor, and getting the baby’s head deep in the pelvis and effacing.  ( speaking as someone who did a looooottttt if walking with an overdue baby - and wish someone had advised the squats ! ) 

23 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

Eugenics are a myth.

Yikes. I very strongly disagree with eugenics and I never would have made that comment if I'd thought it could be construed otherwise. I'm going to exit this discussion now and I would highly recommend that we all avoid going down that road. I'm not the FJ thread drift police, but I've actually seen a poster or two here attempt to defend eugenics in the past, and I just do not want to go there.

27 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

I offer you to DNA studies especially in the nuance of hair colour.  There are thousands of basic shades of the four main colours, and I agree they would be hard to distinguish with the naked eye.  

As to intelligence, a person is influenced by what is around them certainly and the people in their families are part of that.  But your own intelligence is part of your make up.  A "smart" person can come from not terribly bright parents, and the other way around.  There are degrees here too.  So-and-so is smarter than his brother.  I am not an expert in this field but their are studies and they are interesting.  No one group can claim advantage.  Eugenics are a myth.

Ignoring the part about groups, can you go into more detail or site the studies about intelligence and genetics?  Obviously its a hard discussion, in part because most children are raised by their biological parents, so if its about being around other "intelligent" people the biological children of those people will be raised around them.  But I am curious how these things have been studied and the actual results.  

On 7/27/2018 at 7:40 AM, SassyPants said:

I like the nursery colors, although I don’t think it’s really Indicative of a southwestern theme which generally incorporates rich, vibrant, warm colors. This is a very cool, tranquil nursery. I think it needs some art on the walls, but if they’re planning on moving to LA....

As an LA resident, PLEASE, RUFUS NO. I left my childhood home in Indiana to get away from Fundamentalists. Yes, their votes won't matter in this sea of deep blue but knowing hateful people live near me would make my skin crawl. 

12 hours ago, xenobia said:

I thought about this when I watched some of the previous birth specials. I'm going to take a guess and say that it's the regular filming crew, including the male members, but that they are only allowed to film/be in the room from certain angles. 

at least for Jinger's birth no crew was in during the birth someone (Probably Michelle was holding a phone camera) the screen of the episode said family cam. during the birth and you never saw her getting checked or anything the only thing you saw was at the beginning when were doing a last check with the midwife and they held up a sheet. . the screen of the episode said family cam. 

I think various of the births have been filmed with family cams. I remember when Henry was born it was Jana who filmed Ben holding Henry. Also, during Gideon’s birth, I think it was Jill who filmed in the hospital because you can hear her laughing when JB and Terry are talking about who will the baby look like, and she also asks Austin a question from behind the camera. 

@TatertotAsserole Sorry friend, my weirdo IFB pastor abandoned our church sold our church to another IFB church and went on deputation a few years ago to tackle you heathens out there. He's based in Pasadena for your convenience. You're excited, yes?

Don't let his cover photo with the hip guitars fool you. This guy is straight out of ATI (told me so himself) and his wife doesn't wear pants. 

https://www.facebook.com/CrosspointLA/

http://reachpasadena.com/

@lizzybee

Pasadena is still about an hour away from me (I live on the West Side near Venice/Santa Monica.) Nothing but hippies, Jews, and atheists on my side of the 405. 

5 minutes ago, TatertotAsserole said:

@lizzybee

Pasadena is still about an hour away from me (I live on the West Side near Venice/Santa Monica.) Nothing but hippies, Jews, and atheists on my side of the 405. 

Ah bummer, I know you're disappointed you can't go. ;)

I can attest personally, women go all thru pregnancy with the very best of pre natal care without anyone realizing the baby is breech.   It wasn't until my due date that it was discovered my first was breech.   I'd had all regular visits including the weekly visits the last month, with all the MD's in the practice.    Not until my due date did I walk in and one MD says...."Hmmm, could the baby be breech".    Had it not been for this one doctor to suspect, I too would have been at the hospital laboring and laboring for 20 hours, I'm convinced.   I had met with all the doctors in this practice and for all those weeks not one realized baby was breech.   My doctors office was very well respected and hosted the TLC Baby Story several times!    

I think women and doctors feel the baby's butt and think....."That's the head".   Yah, right, they don't really know.   Especially if the mothers belly is as hard as concrete which mine was.   Unless they are pulling out the ultrasound machine in those final weeks I don't think they do actually really know.   A head feels like a butt.

You can best believe I changed doctors for the second pregnancy and one that did LOTS of ultrasounds.   In fact, the  office had ultrasounds in every examining room back 18 years ago and I had probably 6.......because I never believed them when they said...."Oh everything looks good"  Me:   "Really, are you sure she's not breech?"......how do you know?"    ok, lets check with an ultra sound.    

Surprise breech babies happen even with great medical care because they really don't know the head from the butt.    

So as of today Jeremy is officially taking online courses from The Master's Seminary. Thus far he's able to do the online stuff but as has been previously discussed, it looks like he'll still have to do at least some of it at a physical location. Urgh.

https://www.tms.edu/academics/degree-programs/master-of-divinity/distance-locations/

And Felicity's getting an early taste of being a pastor's daughter too.

I believe that at least Anna's first birth was filmed by the crew.  There was a picture of cameraman Jim holding Kenzie right after she was born.  I think the 2nd birth was also filmed by the crew.  Not sure after that.

2 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Was that the good old toilet birth?

I think that was the 2nd birth with Michael.  Yes, I think that was filmed by the crew too.

I was born breech and not a single doctor or nurse suspected it until my bum popped out! (It was the 80s, but still.)

I second whomever said they had a terrible experience with the Foley. My first was an induction that ended in a c-section (my only labor experience) and that danged Foley was almost the worst part of the whole ordeal. I thought I was going to die. 

I was under the impression that the births that were shown on 17/18/19kac were filmed by the film crew and the home-video births didn't start until after the scandals/Counting On. But I don't actually watch the show, so I may be mistaken.

9 hours ago, PVMom said:

I think women and doctors feel the baby's butt and think....."That's the head".   Yah, right, they don't really know.   Especially if the mothers belly is as hard as concrete which mine was.   Unless they are pulling out the ultrasound machine in those final weeks I don't think they do actually really know.   A head feels like a butt.  

This was me too with my second at 36 weeks after she was in and out of breech for weeks: 

Intern feels: “she’s still breech”

Midwife checks: “yeah, sorry, that’s a butt. Feel this?” *wiggles my belly*

Me: “are you sure? Because I felt her turn yesterday..” (you really do feel!)

Midwife takes out ultrasound: “well look at that! She’s not breech anymore”

the little stinker turned twice in and out of breech. Just like her sister (my first) did at 40 and 41 weeks. I just have a lot of space and my second loved sticking her head intro the placenta at the top, causing her to be breech. She still sleeps this way: with her head in my armpit or crushed at the top of her bed. I love how babies can mimick the way they lie in utero. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived