IGNORED

JinJer and Felicity 42: American Girl (grand)Duggar

Georgiana

Jeremy is going to seminary/further studies with a John MacArthur affiliated church. John MacArthur has come out of the same camp as John Piper and Mark Driscoll. We are all know what a raging sack of shit Mark Driscoll is. Wartburg Watch does a good job of exposing time and again what a raging sack of shit John Piper is. I do think John MacArthur had at least a little bit of that poo rub off on him. By distant power of association, so did Jeremy. So many of the fundies we snark on are easy targets because they're so damn weird. Where things get really hairy is when we bump into the "worldly" fundies. They seem so dam "normal." I was raised fundagelical (mainstream fundie). It definitley did lasting damage.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I absolutely stand behind on this board is that Jessa, Jill, Jinger and Joy had every right to expect their identities would not be so easily guessed from the paperwork released regarding Josh's molestation case.  But that's because I think anyone should have that expectation and should not disregard it in their case because they've chosen to be public people.  

Other than that, I realize this is a board full of people with different opinions than mine and enjoy reading the different points of view (but not the BEC stuff), and in some cases my mind has been changed on some opinions I did have.  

56 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Can we all please remember that Jeremy has had many hateful sermons and Catholics and has called Jews "Fake Jews" or some sort of a thing. Jinger and Jeremy aren't moving too far away from the party line, Jeremy didn't fill out that massive survey in order to swoop in and save Jinger from her horrible life. No, he married her and is using her fame and Counting On to promote himself and his church. 

Jinger and Jeremy have the same hateful beliefs as the rest and they are going to pass them down to their daughter. 

Right. I get all that. But, to me, there is a difference in commenting on that specifically - and rolling absolutely EVERY possible thing they do/say/think/wear into a big old ball of ugly. And, sometimes, again IMHO, it does get to the point where people are reinforcing and amplifying the worst fundie stereotypes, especially when it comes to gender and gender roles. Taking them to a far more extreme position than the Duggar’s themselves appear to.

To me, it’s similar to all  those memes that went around of Melania Trump posing naked.  People would post them to call out the hypocrisy of the right wing evangelicals. Nope. Sorry - you’re just slut shaming. 

And I agree @singsingsing it’s the internet. It’s a place to debate, share opinions - sometimes heavy and serious,  sometimes frivolous or fun - don’t take it personally. 

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

How do we know that VC left the building?

if you click on her profile it says deactivated and she left a lovely parting note.  I am very sad but she wants to spend more  time with her family which I respect. 

Ive never liked the atmosphere in the duggar threads, I’m just here for info on the bub and John and Abby stuff. 

20 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

I made everyone steering wheel covers for Christmas a couple of years ago. All with microfiber fabric that matched their personalities and color of their cars. They keep the steering wheels touchable. Oh yeah, nothing better than a COLD air blowing in your face in this kinda heat. I made the mistake on my last car of buying leather seats. Never again.....lol. Lesson learned. 

Nice short commute. Enjoy it.

Um...I'm pretty sure I never got mine. :P

I am a little confused. Someone upthread said that they wanted Jinger to go to school, take some classes or something. Did Jinger ever say that she wanted to be a photographer or something else? Maybe all she really wanted in life is to move to a city, be a wife and SAHM. Maybe she is just what we see. A new mom with a husband that loves her and the ability to be a SAHM. Maybe she is perfectly happy with her life and is getting exactly what she wants from it. There are many SAHM here on FJ, why is Jinger any different from them?

Disclaimer: I am not talking about their beliefs. We can all agree that they are toxic. 

4 hours ago, Greendoor said:

Oh, and.  I  don't think @VelociRapture will be gone forever.  TIme heals and she will post again.

When did VelociRapture leave!?? 

My heart is broken! 

8 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

There are many SAHM here on FJ, why is Jinger any different from them?

She was groomed from birth for the role and never given the option to want anything else?

I've had to take extended breaks from FJ (and other forms of social media) before. Sometimes you just need to disconnect for a while and focus on other stuff.

I suspect there are others adult women (not fundie) who's parents didn't encourage education or options and they never aspired to anything but a mom and wife. I don't think it is limited to fundies. 

I am much older than most here on FJ. I remember my mom encouraging home and family above work and education. I opted for travel (via the military) and education. 

My point is, we don't know what Jinger aspires to be. She may be perfectly content. Or she may be reading, doing online classes, any number of things. But if being a SAHM is what she wants, then have at it.

Ben’s the only one who’s made some sort of positive ideological change. His father is vehemently anti-Black and his sister would suck Trump’s ass if she could get the chance (not to mention the Duggars had a party when Trump got elected), but he’s publically come out with support towards black lives matter and did not vote for Trump. He’s probably had the most radical change that any of them will have, but that at least shows there’s some hope for them (moreso their kids).

33 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I suspect there are others adult women (not fundie) who's parents didn't encourage education or options and they never aspired to anything but a mom and wife. I don't think it is limited to fundies. 

I am much older than most here on FJ. I remember my mom encouraging home and family above work and education. I opted for travel (via the military) and education. 

My point is, we don't know what Jinger aspires to be. She may be perfectly content. Or she may be reading, doing online classes, any number of things. But if being a SAHM is what she wants, then have at it.

My parents were not necessarily pro-education beyond high school. They were both very much into stereotypical gender roles and although the mother claimed to have a degree in music, I never saw her play the piano or anything else. My father didn't graduate from high school until 2 months before I was born (he was 36). It was expected that I'd maybe go to college, major in something "feminine" (like being a secretary), get married, be a SAHM and raise a house full of kids. Neither one was particularly thrilled that I wanted to be an engineer...the closest engineering school to me was about 45 minutes away and I'd have had to drive the interstate to get there...that was forbidden. I was not going to drive the interstate, nor was I going to major in engineering because it was not a "feminine" profession. If you knew me even 10 years ago, you'd wonder what the hell happened in the ensuing 10 years, and I'm over 50 now. 

Examples:

Formerly hard-core Catholic

Formerly rabid-pro life

Formerly registered Republican, Rush Limbaugh & G Gordon Liddy fan

Formerly rabid pro-SAHM and anti-working mothers

The list goes on. So, when people talk shit about the 2nd gen Duggars, all I can say is the story isn't over yet. 

@feministxtianCan I tell you how much I appreciate your story? I think we make all kinds of assumptions and really know nothing about what is truly going on in these kidults lives. 

Baby Pearl's nursery is blue and white. No theme as I just never could settle on anything.

I just want to say I was surprised a Duggar kept the nursery neutral. I also want to say, and this is my opinion only, that it is not my taste at all. Bleh. I think that is one ugly nursery. Sorry, Jana. I'm sure Magnolia or whatever is very popular and Chip and Joanna from HGTV think that nursery is cool but I think it's ugly. *Shrug* To each their own. Hey, they picked a very pretty baby name though. 

42 minutes ago, JoiseyGoil said:

Ben’s the only one who’s made some sort of positive ideological change. His father is vehemently anti-Black and his sister would suck Trump’s ass if she could get the chance (not to mention the Duggars had a party when Trump got elected), but he’s publically come out with support towards black lives matter and did not vote for Trump. He’s probably had the most radical change that any of them will have, but that at least shows there’s some hope for them (moreso their kids).

While I agree that Ben is more progressive than some of his relatives in terms of race and politics, it's important to remember he still believes if you are Catholic or Mormon you're not a 'real' Christian.  And God help you if you're LGBTQ, belong to another faith group, or have no faith at all.  

6 hours ago, treehugger said:

I will say though that Jinger still gets a huge pass in comparison to her sisters. She and jeremy have been pimping out this baby for a while now. And while Jill got a ton of flack for both her pregnancies, Jinger hasn't really gotten any. 

And it seemed like a lot of people were excited she was having a girl. I get that this is freejinger, but jinger has given zero indication that she would like to be free. She seems pretty happy in her toxic cult. 

Sad VR left because of aggressive annoying people. Hopefully she returns. 

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Second off, no one knows what is going to happen in 10 years but seeing Jeremy is going all out in preaching, I can't see that changing. If it does, I will be shocked, but I doubt I will be shocked. 

Can I tell you how many people I worked with who went to "bible college" and ended up in secular jobs? I grew up in the land of Pat Robertson and "Regent University". Case in point: Girl I worked with. Married serious fundie guy. She quit her job, became the "submissive" wife and popped out 6 kids in fairly rapid succession (I think there's 10 years from youngest to oldest). He was a "bi-vocational" preacher at some little church plant, with all the attendant ugly beliefs. Imagine my surprise when he posted something about legalizing weed. Next was a rainbow flag and he's going on and on about LBGTQ+ rights and supporting marriage for everyone. 

As I keep trying to say, ya never know. Did I think my one stepdaughter would ever leave the JW's? Nope. Not a chance in HELL for that one. Well, she's single, garden variety Christian, climbs mountains for shits and grins. Has had a few long term relationships, quite a few short term relationships, swears like the sailor's daughter she is. This kid was a brainwashed mouse. Married a nice JW boy. Set in to live a JW wife life, talked about going "in the ministry"" and all that shit. She told him to fuck himself, filed for divorce herself, took her maiden name back and is kicking ass and taking names. She even posted about burning her "no blood" card. 

Bottom line. People change. You can't forecast the future. Now, if in 10 years they're still trotting out the same bullshit and are fundie Gen-2 koolaid drinker, well, then they get scratched off the list. 

17 minutes ago, viii said:

Sad VR left because of aggressive annoying people. Hopefully she returns. 

Eh, I didn't notice anyone being much more aggressive or annoying than usual, and she's been here a long time, so I'm sure she's seen/dealt with it all. She said she felt that FJ was interfering with her family life. Sometimes you just really need a break for personal reasons. But the Duggar threads can be enough to drive anyone to the point of insanity. I think the first Baby Dilly watch actually broke my brain.

23 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I'm desensitized to the fundie trope photo of adoringly staring into each other's eyes, but this one is particularly awkwardly posed.  He looks like he's about to eat her face.  He's just too dang close for that pose!

Stare at the baby, guys.  Then the positioning works.  

This is just...weirdly aggressive.  Aggressive adoration.   

Also, Jeremy forgot to empty his pocket and now I want to know what that blue thing is. 

1st impression of that pic.......That plant will be gone in 9 months tops.  Cute while it lasts though.  I did things like that decorative wise with my first too.

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

How do we know that VC left the building?

apparently she wants more time with her family? 

18 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think the first Baby Dilly watch actually broke my brain.

yes it broke everything in the book for me  :D

I don’t think we are all on the same planet today.

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

@feministxtianI think we make all kinds of assumptions and really know nothing about what is truly going on in these kidults lives. 

They put their lives out there for people to make assumptions about, and not all assumptions will be positive. It's the risk you take when you become a public figure, which is a choice made by adult Duggars. They didn't have a choice as children but could go private tomorrow if they wanted to.

That said, I think assumptions can veer into fanfic territory, I prefer to look at what is actually said and done, including when that is nothing. Silence can be an action.

And I don't think married people with children are kidults anymore, just those over 18 still living at home and dependent on their parents.

@SilverBeachThank you. I agree about the adults. I should have called them that and not kidults. 

Yes they put their lives out there and I agree we can comment all we want. I just wanted to voice my opinion that maybe some are making assumptions that are wrong and Jinger is as happy as a pig in shi$ with her life as it is. She wants no more from her life than what she has. There is no shame in that imo. We only have what we see in the media and a (mostly) scripted reality show. We don't know what her day to day life is like.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived