IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

I am very firmly on team "homemade whatever" is the best desert. I didn't have access to a kitchen the couple of years I was in the Navy. Prior to that, I was very single for years and didn't have anyone to bake for. I am now very happily baking for my new husband and his family. Apple and strawberry pies are favorites. 

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On baking: I'm the resident office baker, and I basically use my coworkers as guinea pigs for recipes and techniques I want to try/improve. My bakes this year so far: sea salt chocolate chip cookies, homemade dark chocolate peanut butter cups, carrot cupcakes with brown sugar cream cheese frosting, lemon cupcakes with raspberry rose buttercream, rosewater flavored meringue cookies, Boston Cream Pie, and challah. Next planned bakes are a Devil's Food piñata cake with vanilla bean buttercream and filled with chocolates I plan to mold myself (for me and a coworker - our birthdays are two days apart so we're celebrating jointly and I want to go all out), and yeasted doughnuts with various-flavored glazes. 

Add me to the craving cake now group. I haven't had a good piece of cake in a long time. Just had a birthday but never bother with cake anymore since I'm the only ine who will eat it. Though if I had thought of getting a smash cake for myself I totally would have done that. 

My aunt is a great baker and sends packages of cookies to me and my cousins. One time I had just started a no added sugar kick so I froze everything she sent me. Two weeks of super self control where they haunted me every time I walked past the fridge. And then zero self control once I lifted the sugar ban. And that's why I don't cut things complelety out of my diet anymore.

@nastyhobbitses you've got some lucky colleagues.

I also like to bake, but don't have many people to bake for. I last thing I made  were some delicious brownies with stout in them (there was cannabis butter in them too). 

I indulged my cake urges tonight with a slice of chocolate pistachio ganache cake. It had a layer of pistachio mousse, and a layer of chocolate mousse, sandwiched between rich chocolate cake, with chocolate ganache on top.

8 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

On waste: a lot of shit we do for kids is probably wasteful. Let a kid color? WASTEFUL of paper. Buy decent clothing and bedsheets for a baby? WASTEFUL because they'll just shit all over everything. Buying a kid any clothing at all? WASTEFUL, they'll grow out of it in a month. Just leave your kid naked in an empty room until they learn to mend and make do. /s, obviously. 

Is learning involved when you hand a kid color crayons and a pice of paper? Do you buy them the biggest book and the 64 count when introducing the concept? I’d say most folks give them a piece of paper and some toddler crayons. Shelter and clothing cover basic hygiene and care needs. An entire cake is excess when a slice or individual cupcake could easily suffice.

I love the pivoting going on here, LOL

11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

On baking: I'm the resident office baker, and I basically use my coworkers as guinea pigs for recipes and techniques I want to try/improve. My bakes this year so far: sea salt chocolate chip cookies, homemade dark chocolate peanut butter cups, carrot cupcakes with brown sugar cream cheese frosting, lemon cupcakes with raspberry rose buttercream, rosewater flavored meringue cookies, Boston Cream Pie, and challah. Next planned bakes are a Devil's Food piñata cake with vanilla bean buttercream and filled with chocolates I plan to mold myself (for me and a coworker - our birthdays are two days apart so we're celebrating jointly and I want to go all out), and yeasted doughnuts with various-flavored glazes. 

Are you working for the Great British Bake Off?:pb_lol:

Everything sounds great though. Having to go gluten free just killed my love of baking for some reason.

I love to bake too! My daughter is in marching band, and we provide meals for them once a week before competitions. I make cupcakes every week, and they call me the cupcake mom. My favorite is peanut butter cup cupcakes- make a chocolate cupcake, stick a miniature in the batter prior to cooking, pipe on peanut butter icing, and stick another miniature on the top. I do a bunch of other flavors too. So much fun.

I'm just not a baked goods person. I like chocolate bars, that's pretty much where my loyalty lies. Some ice cream as long as it's chocolate, cake is ok as long as it's chocolate. 

The FJ potluck and meet and greet really needs to happen! It sounds like we've got some great cooks/bakers on here.

We could teach Jilly Muffin a thing or two about cooking. Then again, so could your average eigth grader.

1 minute ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

The FJ potluck and meet and greet really needs to happen! It sounds like we've got some great cooks/bakers on here.

i can supply a kale salad and cocoa brownies made from black beans from the gum boot cafe on the sunshine coast. 

google it :D

I've been to the Gumboot once. Delicious. My partner owns a place on the coast and raves about their food.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

We could teach Jilly Muffin a thing or two about cooking. Then again, so could your average eigth grader.

This. I know Jill was raised to think her mere presence on earth is an example and a blessing to others, but  what on earth possesses her now to think she and Derwood (I love whoever thought of this) have to offer with her "lifestyle" blog? Her parenting hacks? (unsafe car seats in strollers, children trapped in car seats for eternity while parents have "date night" eating fast food in the car, kid walking more than a mile to Chik filet--there's a reason other people haven't posted these.) Her crappy ass food? (like no one else ever had poor man's pizza, although usually it's French bread or English muffins or bagels that sauce doesn't seep through, not plain raw white bread; casseroles so awful that even the stolen pics are horrible. Recommendations for children's books that bore the crap out of even kids in the cult?
It's not like there aren't a billion mommy blogs, lifestyle blogs, YouTube videos and streaming channels (like all of those on Fawesome TV) that give actual practical information. Maybe with her lack of exposure to the outside world she actually believes that she is offering something new and clever and useful.

She and Derwood I guess still get positive feedback from leghumpers, but with more and more of the Duggerlings getting married and some of them, such as Jessa and Ben, posting things like actually cute pics of happy kids, the Derkwads are facing stiffer and stiffer competition just from her own family.

OK I'm losing my own train of thought here. I just don't see how she can continue to do this for long without eventually realizing, even if she in fact is dumber than a rock, that mommy blogging isn't going to work as a career choice.

Lately I've not really been able to shake off the thought of how lonely Jill seems and probably is. I know this is pure speculation, but I feel like she's suffered from postpartum depression, and if not that, just anxiety in general. Her husband is a fucking wreck. Her births haven't been ideal. Is she able to discuss about these things with her closest friends? How would her sisters for example react, if Jill ever critisised Derick?

At the same time I'm glad that she's finally gotten the freedom to be more relaxed with her choices in clothing. It's annoying that it's been up to Derick to allow that, but it's still a step.

I just want her to thrive. To enjoy her life to the fullest. Without fear or anxiety.

4 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

Lately I've not really been able to shake off the thought of how lonely Jill seems and probably is. I know this is pure speculation, but I feel like she's suffered from postpartum depression, and if not that, just anxiety in general. Her husband is a fucking wreck. Her births haven't been ideal. Is she able to discuss about these things with her closest friends? How would her sisters for example react, if Jill ever critisised Derick?

At the same time I'm glad that she's finally gotten the freedom to be more relaxed with her choices in clothing. It's annoying that it's been up to Derick to allow that, but it's still a step.

I just want her to thrive. To enjoy her life to the fullest. Without fear or anxiety.

I was thinking if she is unhappy, she has to put on a happy face that Derick is the "best husband" ever and that life is wonderful. One because she is a fundie and two because her family has and is on TV. I don't know if she has anyone close enough that she could speak to or even cry on someone's shoulder. 

4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I was thinking if she is unhappy, she has to put on a happy face that Derick is the "best husband" ever and that life is wonderful. One because she is a fundie and two because her family has and is on TV. I don't know if she has anyone close enough that she could speak to or even cry on someone's shoulder. 

I wonder if she has a diary that she keeps somewhere safe away from Derpoop's eyes... :think:

Really really just wanna give Jill a big hug.

23 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

See that and can sort of feel for her, but as others have mentioned, she was insufferably holier-than-thou with her sisters--I don't watch all the time but I do remember on TH when Jinger said she wanted to live in a city and Jillymuffin chimed in something about being grateful to be where God put you. So maybe her sisters aren't so enamored of Jill.
She totally got off on being the first one married, which in their world is a huge big deal. She was fine with going to live in an armed white-US people compound in scary CA when she thought she would be protected from anything unpleasant and praised for blessing the poor (in all senses) ignorant nonwhites with her presence. She even posted a self-aggrandizing vid of her and a few of her sisters treating local women to listening to them singing together in English, and she thought (and probably was by some people) she should be congratulated for "blessing" the women in attendance.
She apparently is still fine with assisting at births even though the evidence shows that her "training" is dangerous to the mothers and infants involved. And she continually posts about her very obviously unhappy children in the apparent belief that she is educating the heathens.
She was fine grifting for money for her and Derwood's "mission." She steals pictures of food from other people's sites but has on her own that photos belong only to her--so obviously she understands ownership of images.
Her husband hasn't held down an actual job for years and has so far abandoned every "mission" they have grifted for, and yet she continues to post that he is the best ever.
She wears jeans and has a nose ring (maybe a removable one and not an actual piercing?) and that makes her relatable to any person on the planet who isn't brain dead?
Don't think so. 

13 minutes ago, patsymae said:

See that and can sort of feel for her, but as others have mentioned, she was insufferably holier-than-thou with her sisters--I don't watch all the time but I do remember on TH when Jinger said she wanted to live in a city and Jillymuffin chimed in something about being grateful to be where God put you. So maybe her sisters aren't so enamored of Jill.

Even if they don't resent her for this, she may have a hard time admitting she isn't grateful for whatever G-d gave her.  When you have that kind of attitude admitting things aren't great can be hard.  Its hard enough on secular people who want to show that they are okay, it seems like it might be an insurmountable obstacle for Jill when talking with her sisters.

Maybe Jill is trying to stay relevant with her blog. That's a flop too at least so far. 

On 7/27/2018 at 8:34 PM, zee_four said:

Our level IV NICU at Children's Hospital Colorado (and I guess now on the other side of Denver at Rocky Mountain CHildren's/St. Luke's) takes a 10 state area (CO, WY, UT, NM, KS, MT, NE for sure parts of AZ, parts of ID, parts of OK and possibly even the Dakotas)

It's kind of crazy the massive area the specialized hospitals in Denver serve. I was fortunate enough that my son didn't need the NICU but I have friends who have and have met people from literally all over the country)

:hugs that your daughter is doing well!:

I don't know anything about St Luke's, but Children's Hospital Colorado is very well regarded.  (Never been there, but I know people who have.)  The hospitals with Level IV NICUs work co-operatively to treat babies from areas without Level IV units.  They also work together to transfer babies to the closest unit that specializes in a particular problem or procedure that each baby needs.  This tends to be more illness or congenital issue related than prematurity.  Different hospitals are better equipped to handle cardiac problems, kidney issues, organ malformation, serious infections, etc,  Several of the states you listed do have Level IV NICUs, but work together   to insure the very best care in the very best location for each baby.

Pediatric sub-specialty care often requires families to travel - sometimes long distances - to get the very best care for their children.  Rare diseases and disorders among children impact such a small number of kids that it would be impossible for every children's hospital to address every rare disease.  Over the years, we have traveled to hospitals in Columbus, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Gainesville, and Dallas.  We have met kids from all over the country as well as from Canada, England, Italy, Germany, Sweden, and probably more.  My husband refers to it as the annual pilgrimage to Children's Hospitals.  (And no, I don't have Munchausen's by Proxy - just kids with rare disorders - LOL.)

Thanks for the hugs that my daughter is doing well.  She is all grown up now and has triumphed over, or at least learned to live with her medical issues.  She is a graduate student in a field where she will be working with chronically and critically ill kids every day.  She has a real drive to help kids through situations like her own and has become a very passionate advocate.  

3 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I've been to the Gumboot once. Delicious. My partner owns a place on the coast and raves about their food.

then we can watch Jessa and Ben's wedding :D

36 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Maybe Jill is trying to stay relevant with her blog. That's a flop too at least so far. 

and the publicly of it doesn't seem to help with intouch slamming her 

42 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

True.  But does it really matter since people are still clicking on the 'link in bio' each time she steals a pic from Allrecipes?  If she can monetize being a shitty mommy blogger, is she really going to care?

On 7/30/2018 at 6:05 AM, Rachel333 said:

I was curious if I had a cake for my 1st birthday so I looked in one of my baby books (I was the first kid, so I have a bunch of thick photo albums from my first years :pb_lol:) which happened to be nearby. I did get a bit messy with my cake! I know my mom was very proud that I made it to my 1st birthday without ever having sugar, so the cake would have been my first experience with sugar.

Hide contents

SK5xYlh.jpg?2

(I definitely had a mullet there for a while. :pb_lol:)

You're so cute!!!! If it makes you feel any better I had a "Captain Kangaroo" haircut for awhile....thanks alot mom! Haha

Oh my god you guys, this thread drift is going to ruin my diet. I've been wanting to make one of those mousse cakes I've been seeing on YouTube lately (like the ones found under my spoiler). Has anyone tried them? They look so soft and fluffy and cute, and perfect for summer because you don't bake them.

Spoiler

As for Jill, I... still feel bad for her, even though she was so holier-than-thou. Especially because she was so holier-than-thou. Because she thought it would be so great. Because she thought her life would be perfect. She did everything right. And... it didn't work. She doesn't seem happy, even thought she did everything to the letter. That's one of the saddest things in the world to me- thinking you did everything right, but it turns out, you were wrong all along. And now you have to suffer for it.

Mind you, I'm speculating, and she might be really happy and just terrible with social media, but... the joy has disappeared from behind her eyes, to me.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived