IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

On 7/25/2018 at 2:55 PM, Nomorethanfour said:

Stemming from our own micro preemie  (born at 24 weeks at 1lb 4oz) who sadly never got to come home, I've volunteered at many nicu's. I've NEVER run into a nurse or doctor that was anything but compassionate and caring. The people who work there are a special breed. I'm so glad your daughter is healthy!

I am sorry for the loss of your little one.

i firmly believe NICU staffers are angels. My son spent his first month in the NICU and they taught us how to be parents. He is still followed by the clinic (till age 6) and I have relied on them for so much that I am afraid to walk away next year.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad I finally joined because I have so many thoughts on Jill... 

I do think Jill is disillusioned with her life but doesn't have the skills to recognize and absorb the fact. Even though we only see a tiny slice of their life I think she's settled and shelved her aspirations because of her religion's strict standards all her life. I also think she's torn between wanting to accomplish something for herself and being the model stay at home fundie wife, I do think in some ways she thought she could have both. She wanted to be a midwife but could progress to any level of legitimacy because it would take her away from her future husband & children and that goes against her religion. So finally she met this worldly (read: college educated) man with a real job who I'm sure she thought would give her the freedom to express herself outside the home by taking getting an actual certificate in midwifery. Instead he drags her around behind him as he bounces around "godly callings", so she never got the change to explore her passion for birthin' babies and is reconciling with letting it go. I think she settled with mommy blogging and that's going terribly for her. 

I don't doubt for a second that she was proud of being the first girl to be married and have a baby and all these things, but the specialness of that wore off when her sisters followed in her footsteps and did it better than her. Jessa seems to have a better knowledge of health eating/food (her boys eat kefir for Rufus' sake!)  and could easily teach her to do better but doesn't. Maybe Jill hasn't accepted the help because she's too proud to admit she's terrible at something or her uppity attitude made Jessa want to stay away.

Ok this is getting terribly long but watching Jill and OfJill is like watching a car wreck, it's entertaining but sad and I'm sure I'll get way more opportunities to contribute to the conversation

6 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Oh my god you guys, this thread drift is going to ruin my diet. I've been wanting to make one of those mousse cakes I've been seeing on YouTube lately (like the ones found under my spoiler). Has anyone tried them? They look so soft and fluffy and cute, and perfect for summer because you don't bake them.

Hide contents

As for Jill, I... still feel bad for her, even though she was so holier-than-thou. Especially because she was so holier-than-thou. Because she thought it would be so great. Because she thought her life would be perfect. She did everything right. And... it didn't work. She doesn't seem happy, even thought she did everything to the letter. That's one of the saddest things in the world to me- thinking you did everything right, but it turns out, you were wrong all along. And now you have to suffer for it.

Mind you, I'm speculating, and she might be really happy and just terrible with social media, but... the joy has disappeared from behind her eyes, to me.

This may be controversial since its so trendy now, but I feel like matcha is better in looks than taste. It's such a pretty green color but something lacks in the flavor for me.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:36 PM, VooDooChild said:

I forgot who mentioned it upthread, but I remember those times on 19KAC when JizzBlob used tell the kids that their plans for the day were going to be a fun time.  The tone of his voice always said to me, "You will enjoy yourselves or there will be consequences".  

I severely dislike these people.

I snort laughed at this, and had to try very hard not to crack up earlier because I’m not sure how I’d explain this to my coworkers if they asked why I’m laughing. Best nickname ever. Absolutely brilliant.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:09 PM, Chickenbutt said:

Booze at a baby's birthday party?! :pb_eek: I obviously don't get out much......lololol. Or rather, I am just old. 

There was booze at my friend’s baby’s birthday party. My friend gave the kid a muffin rather than cake. Being a baby she still managed to make a mess. She also gave every some serious side eye when we started singing to her. 

On 8/1/2018 at 12:43 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

On baking: I'm the resident office baker, and I basically use my coworkers as guinea pigs for recipes and techniques I want to try/improve. My bakes this year so far: sea salt chocolate chip cookies, homemade dark chocolate peanut butter cups, carrot cupcakes with brown sugar cream cheese frosting, lemon cupcakes with raspberry rose buttercream, rosewater flavored meringue cookies, Boston Cream Pie, and challah. Next planned bakes are a Devil's Food piñata cake with vanilla bean buttercream and filled with chocolates I plan to mold myself (for me and a coworker - our birthdays are two days apart so we're celebrating jointly and I want to go all out), and yeasted doughnuts with various-flavored glazes. 

Oh wow. You now have an open invitation to visit me. I also need to learn to make challah. I’ve been told I’m unmarrigable until I learn. 

When I used to manage interns we always had the excited/dreaded Meyers-Brigg personality test workshop. I also had the Meyers Lemon cookie personality game to soften the blow that several hours in they would be bored, slack jawed and itching for their phones and did some baking for the wee ones. So their choices at break time along with all of the other regular cookies at corporate side boards: bakery style lemon, lemon macadamia, lemon basil, lemon pepper (my personal fav) and style lemon corn cookies (gf fluffy cake style).

Jill tries, I think we all agree on that, that Jill tries *so* hard. It bleeds through into every post, the reach she's putting forth and while I don't believe it is an intentional strategy I do think it is a softening factor. As far as images being from other sites and owning her own, I don't think that's necessarily malicious. I looked at their site code sometime last year and was scratching my head, it was a spaghetti mess of written workarounds to load things not hosted in unity. I understand the theory of why it was done that way regarding load times, but the execution was messy. Presumably to cut down on hosting costs and given their international stints J&D aren't the ones in the daily management of the backend. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

There was booze at my friend’s baby’s birthday party. My friend gave the kid a muffin rather than cake. Being a baby she still managed to make a mess. She also gave every some serious side eye when we started singing to her. 

There has always been booze at my son's parties. Because he's still at that age where the parents and grownups FAR outweigh the number of littles. 

And he also gave some side eye at his first party - not for the singing but for the "Why are you ALLLLL watching me eat this cupcake...?" 

On 7/31/2018 at 4:52 AM, Hashtag Blessed said:

I had no idea people felt so strongly about it. 

Winner for “define on-line discussions in 10 words”

Jill posted a recipe for “cheesy chicken and rice enchiladas” today. It features a canned chicken and three cans of cream of chicken soup. On the plus side, there are green chiles, though she neglected to say how big that can should be. Honestly, do they only shop in the canned goods aisle?

(Had canned chicken tonight on my frozen gluten-free cheese pizza. Was delicious. Just sayin'.)

AFAIK, there's only one size can of green chiles. ???

All this baking talk has me remembering all of my tries--and they were mighty. My mother was a good baker and a terrible cook. I'm a decent cook but my baking--
Tried to recreate a Santa Cake (my son was born on Xmas day) that looked so nice on the magazine cover (something like Woman's Day, so it wasn't like I was trying to be a great pastry chef) and wound up with what we could politely call a giant snowball.
For years I'd go on binges to try and learn bread baking (add between 6 and 11 billion cups of flour until it's slightly firm but flexible?). By hand. Tassahara Bread Book and sponges. Heavy mixer with dough hooks.
Finally my kid informed me that "if you really want a loaf of bread that bad, there's a bakery down the street. You give them money and they give you bread."

Voila! Problem solved.

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I love to bake, but I hate to cook. :)  

I know some people can do both, but in my experience people are usually good at one or the other.

15 minutes ago, patsymae said:

For years I'd go on binges to try and learn bread baking (add between 6 and 11 billion cups of flour until it's slightly firm but flexible?). By hand. Tassahara Bread Book and sponges. Heavy mixer with dough hooks.
Finally my kid informed me that "if you really want a loaf of bread that bad, there's a bakery down the street. You give them money and they give you bread."

I recognize myself and I'm laughing so hard right now!  Oh, this was me when I first learned I had to eat gluten-free.  Encouraged by what I was reading, I thought well I'll just make my bread how hard can it be?  First few attempts would make excellent door stops.  Next few looked beautiful on the outside, but raw on the inside and this was with a bread baker machine and a mix.

Your kid's advice is spot on for me as well.

*I'm not even going to go into the great pretzel disaster of a few years ago.  A gluten-free bakery is a beautiful thing.

Oh wow. You now have an open invitation to visit me. I also need to learn to make challah. I’ve been told I’m unmarrigable until I learn. 

Challah is the only bread that I somehow managed to figure out how bake when attempted to years back. If I remember correctly using honey helped

I love both cooking and baking and feel like I'm fairly adept at both, though I do have my limits.  I can bake a good, tasty cake, but I'm not great about fancy decorating.  Don't ask me to make a wedding cake!  I'd much rather make breads or pastry any day of the week -even the tricky stuff like croissants.  

I find kneading bread by hand to be soothing, almost Zen. I can make a tasty cake. Decorate it, not so much. 

24 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I love both cooking and baking and feel like I'm fairly adept at both, though I do have my limits.  I can bake a good, tasty cake, but I'm not great about fancy decorating.  Don't ask me to make a wedding cake!  I'd much rather make breads or pastry any day of the week -even the tricky stuff like croissants.  

My mother told us that the uglier it looked the tastier it was. I hate to say how old I was when I figured that one out.

Jill’s promoting LGBT “cure” ministry in her instagram stories:shakehead: 

85BC28A7-BDE4-44AB-B8C6-0178E9367392.png

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Jill posted a recipe for “cheesy chicken and rice enchiladas” today. It features a canned chicken and three cans of cream of chicken soup. On the plus side, there are green chiles, though she neglected to say how big that can should be. Honestly, do they only shop in the canned goods aisle?

It's like the '50s all over again. And as I've said before, I'm not going to put people down for having to eat cheap food--I've lived on the food bank stuff and was grateful for it--but seriously, when you are poorer than shit and doing the best you can with canned food, do the best you can with what you have, but Christ, don't do it on purpose if you can afford better and make that your "lifestyle brand." Everybody who has been food insecure knows what you can do with canned chicken and canned soup. Dump shit in the pan. Put in a bunch of cheap starch. Bake it. Call it a fancy casserole name. Take some Wonder Bread and throw crap on it and call it pizza. Poor people know this. We don't consider it amazing and it's not like this is a "recipe" no one has ever heard of before.

Even Sandra Lee--who in her defense also advocates for people who are food insecure--did better. And that's a pretty low bar.

Just can't wrap my head around WTF Jill thinks she is offering.

their obsession with LGBTQIA folks is really disturbing. Reminds me of Anna's abortion obsession from before Josh's scandals

Yes, this is where I think I get frustrated with Jill. She acts like these sloppy, glop recipes are something special when bless her, they're not, they're just not. There is no shame at all in simple food. It can be some of the best food in the world. It just must be prepared and presented well to be apetizing. It's why I was so frustrated with the Duggars "banna" cake. It's a dubious banna cake when there's no banana in it. The fact that it's a just a plain yellow cake mix baked any old way was just confusing to me. I have baked and eaten dozens of cake mixes. I have never posted them on social media like they're some clever recipe. 

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

SPECULATION AHOY If Derick turned out to be an Alex Jones-loving prepper who only wants to buy canned goods because The Gubmint is going to poison all the water and the vegetables (but, like, do it to white people instead of Native Americans and black people so now it's bad) and the poison will probably turn him and his kids gay, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. 

That or Jill is just so used to canned goods and processed food that that's what she reaches for first. 

We are currently running behind in episodes. The one that has just aired here was when J&D found out Sam’s gender - all the awkwardness of derricks mum on the “we will probably get a whole basketball team of boys before a girl now”. The ugly gender reveal outfit - seriously??? Did they expect him to come out as a 2 foot tall man baby?? Whats wrong with a cute blue onesie/all in one or a wee shirt and bow tie or something equally as cute. Then there was derricks choice of words when Jordyn (?) was excitedly shaking the outfit - “be careful our kids gonna wear that”. There was no jessa, no joy, just a handful of family members - in a huge house!!! Unlike Jessa’s announcement in the tiny house with the whole family! 

They are just so freaken bizarre. 

5 minutes ago, kiwi said:

Then there was derricks choice of words when Jordyn (?) was excitedly shaking the outfit - “be careful our kids gonna wear that”.

In general it seems like Derick has no patience for children. I mean, I know WHY he joined/married into the Quiverfull cult (submissive fembot wife who will do nothing but jerk off his ego and validate his decision to be an emotionally and professionally stunted manchild forever, get attention from reality TV/leghumpers on social media who would jump to his defense if he murdered someone in broad daylight, theological excuse to be a massive dick to everyone), but at the same time, dude, you clearly fucking hate kids. You're in a cult that centers around having as many of them as humanly goddamn possible. This is like hating spinach and then deciding to become a spinach farmer. 

Some former reality TV personality posted a recipe on her webpage that she claimed was delicious, but I had doubts about that! It inspired me to dump queso on some rice. It could possibly be made in large quantities but I don't want anyone to think I eat like that.

solid parts -

some rice

sauce -

jar of queso

Have dish of cooked rice. Pour sauce over rice.  Chuck some parsley on it if serving at a formal occasion!

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived