IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, kiwi said:

There was no jessa, no joy, just a handful of family members - in a huge house!!! Unlike Jessa’s announcement in the tiny house with the whole family! 

They are just so freaken bizarre. 

There's no joy in any of it.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, with these recipes, Jill is "ministering" to those who truly are food deprived. These are simple recipes that a non-cook could easily follow, and that use inexpensive ingredients. I'm sure many (most?) of her followers live frugally because of poverty. And I can't believe I'm defending her but whatever. 

As for canned/cheap food options, I'm seeing the same old food-shaming bullshit from FJers for the zillionth time. Come on, y'all. Stop with that. 

Question: Is canned / otherwise packaged and processed food really cheaper than the „real deal“ in the US?

That‘s weird to me. Here (Germany but I assume this to be the case in other European countries as well) it‘s not. Of course cooking something fancy with lots of special ingredients can get pricey but how can unprepared potatoes be more expensive than prepared canned ones (of which I hadn‘t heard of before btw)? In my experience buying the basic ingredients would be cheaper, especially if they need to feed a whole family. Of course you would then have to put quite some effort in preparing the food. I think that is more likely the point in buying prepared / processed food: saving time and effort, not money.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Maybe, with these recipes, Jill is "ministering" to those who truly are food deprived.

I don't think Jill is smart enough to consider that. 

I don't buy canned veggies (with the exception of tomatoes) but in my experience per-processed foods, such as canned items, are more expensive. than fresh.  It is cheaper to cook from scratch. Problem is, many modern cooks don't know how.  This is the criticism of the Duggar girls.   Young women who were raised to be the ultimate domestic managers yet can't cook basic meals from scratch.  I would doubt any one of them know how to use herbs and spices.  Let alone identify them. Can any of them make a basic stock or sauce (they can open packages and cans of instant gravy)?  It's the same with much else of what they do, all show, no substance.

On 7/31/2018 at 3:04 AM, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I wonder if Jill and OfJill will announce a pregnancy at some point soon. I could see them doing it on the same day as an important episode of Counting On just to get the attention on them.

I really could see Derick not wanting another kid. He doesn't seem to enjoy the ones he has very much. 

My biggest baking fail was my first pumpkin pie.  I bought the pumpkin, used a premade pie shell (to this day pie pastry is my nemesis), baked the pie and when my roomie and I went to try it, it was t e r r i b l e.  Actually inedible and had to be thrown out.  Years later, I was watched the Food Network and someone was baking a pumpkin pie with the canned pumpkin and they mixed it with eggs, sugar, vanilla and I was all like "What!  You're supposed to mix that stuff with other things!"  I guess my Mum had always used the pumpkin pie filling to make her pies and I used puree, hence the inedibility of it.

I'm not a food snob at all (and canned potatoes fried are my jam, man), but for some reason canned chicken just sounds like a no to me.  

32 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

I really could see Derick not wanting another kid. He doesn't seem to enjoy the ones he has very much. 

But I also can't see him using condoms or having Jill use birth control. 

48 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

I don't buy canned veggies (with the exception of tomatoes) 

Same here because peeling tomatoes really is a hassle. 

1 hour ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Question: Is canned / otherwise packaged and processed food really cheaper than the „real deal“ in the US?

That‘s weird to me. Here (Germany but I assume this to be the case in other European countries as well) it‘s not. Of course cooking something fancy with lots of special ingredients can get pricey but how can unprepared potatoes be more expensive than prepared canned ones (of which I hadn‘t heard of before btw)? In my experience buying the basic ingredients would be cheaper, especially if they need to feed a whole family. Of course you would then have to put quite some effort in preparing the food. I think that is more likely the point in buying prepared / processed food: saving time and effort, not money.

It depends on the specific food. Fresh potatoes are one of the cheapest things in the produce section, and definitely cheaper than canned (assuming you buy basic potatoes, not “fancy” ones like fingerlings). Canned tomatoes are usually cheaper than fresh, and often taste better for cooked preparations. For other vegetables, canned versions go on sale frequently, and they keep for a long time, so it’s easy to buy in bulk and save, versus fresh vegetables that don’t keep as long. 

I routinely use canned tomatoes and beans - I stock up on Cento brand tomatoes and Goya brand beans when they are on sale. (I know dried beans are cheaper, but the difference isn’t worth the effort for me). I also have a nostalgic taste for canned peas, and buy them a few times a year. 

I think frozen vegetables are generally a better option. They can be a lot cheaper than fresh, and the quality is as good as fresh if cooked properly. I exclusively buy frozen broccoli.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:02 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

I often requested a pie instead of a cake for my birthday. If I got a cake, it was the Southern monstrosity known simply as "Texas Sheet Cake." Here's a link:  

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/classic-texas-sheet-cake/7c95e8d6-dbb1-4f7f-836a-52a49a1753c8 

And if I got a pie, it was always my mom's own coconut cream pie with mile-high meringue. That's one of the things I miss since she died. She wasn't much of a cook, but she made the best coconut cream pie (and that dang sheet cake that I'm now craving). 

My dad loves cake, but his most favorite dessert is lemon meringue pie, and that's what my Grammy made him every year for his birthday, until recently, because at 97, she just can't swing it anymore. My sister makes great cakes, but is not so great with pies, so now she buys our dad one every year on his birthday

I buy frozen veggies. Trader Joe's corn is the BOMB!! I buy dried beans (see being broke/homeless) and tons of rice. I can put a meal together with just those ingredients plus some spices or the old standby, dump salsa in it. 

Right now I avoid cooking...shitty kitchen, hotter than the surface of the sun, just the two of us and hubs gets home about 3 1/2 hours after I do. Add killer anxiety and permanent nausea, and it ain't happening

On 8/1/2018 at 4:30 PM, patsymae said:

I do remember on TH when Jinger said she wanted to live in a city and Jillymuffin chimed in something about being grateful to be where God put you.

Yeah, I remember this, Jill was such a sanctimonious prig, the family narc. So she can just be grateful for where God has put her, with that asshole husband. Jill is not my favorite.

On 8/2/2018 at 1:04 AM, artdecades said:

As for Jill, I... still feel bad for her, even though she was so holier-than-thou.

Nope.

14 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

AFAIK, there's only one size can of green chiles. ???

Yeah, but it’s always a good idea to include the quantity in a recipe in case your readers are in a different place or time. Jill probably thinks (mostly correctly) that her readers are all American.

3 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

My biggest baking fail was my first pumpkin pie.  I bought the pumpkin, used a premade pie shell (to this day pie pastry is my nemesis), baked the pie and when my roomie and I went to try it, it was t e r r i b l e.  Actually inedible and had to be thrown out.  Years later, I was watched the Food Network and someone was baking a pumpkin pie with the canned pumpkin and they mixed it with eggs, sugar, vanilla and I was all like "What!  You're supposed to mix that stuff with other things!"  I guess my Mum had always used the pumpkin pie filling to make her pies and I used puree, hence the inedibility of it.

I'm not a food snob at all (and canned potatoes fried are my jam, man), but for some reason canned chicken just sounds like a no to me.  

I think of myself as a good cook and baker. Pies are another story.  I could not make a good one, so I've pretty much given up trying at least for now. 

43 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Yeah, I remember this, Jill was such a sanctimonious prig, the family narc. So she can just be grateful for where God has put her, with that asshole husband. Jill is not my favorite.

Nope.

Always this. Jill is so insufferable that I can't bring myself to feel bad for her at all. Plus her beliefs match her wanker of a husband. I only feel bad for their children who didn't ask for them as parents. 

As for canned potatoes...until moving to Alberta, I had never saw it before. I was floored. I don't think I could use canned potatoes unless I really had to. My budget has changed for the worse in the last year, thankfully I never had to buy canned  yet. 

All this food talk, I can't wait until I can start cooking and baking again. 

I like frozen veggies better then canned. I can taste the rubbery green peas that my Mom used to feed me from a can. It was the taste of her childhood but the bane of mine. Fresh is always better, but not always possible or in the budget. So yeah, definitely frozen and if injured frozen peas can double as an ice pack! ;) 

I don't consider myself to be a good cook, I don't have the patience for it. Jill's trying hard but um, it doesn't look very good. Eat chicken out of a can all you want, but really these recipes have been all over the internet for years. It's nothing new. 

As for anything else, eat what tastes good to you! :) 

1 hour ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I think of myself as a good cook and baker. Pies are another story.  I could not make a good one, so I've pretty much given up trying at least for now. 

Have you heard of the book 'Art of the Pie'?? I swear it's amazing - I used to suck at making pie but I used her recipes and now I can even make my own crust! I'm terrible at making cakes so this book is a godsend 

I had a cousin growing up who was like Jill.  Her mantra was “I’m telling”.  So f’ing annoying.  She’s in her sixties now and is still a mahoosive pain in the ass.

14 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

Jill’s promoting LGBT “cure” ministry in her instagram stories:shakehead: 

85BC28A7-BDE4-44AB-B8C6-0178E9367392.png

:D

Screenshot_2018-08-04-21-21-16~2.png

@Pecansforeveryone,  I was watching Milk Street with Christopher Kimball recently and he was in Spain with Jose Andres.  Jose was telling Christopher about how they'd have Garlic Soup at the end of the month when they had no money.    It was basically just garlic, stale bread and water.  Maybe some olive oil or lard and eggs.  It was poverty food for sure, but it was absolutely delicious!   There's an adaptation of the recipe in the new Milk Street Cookbook.

(Not sure if I was going to say something about collards being the new kale or not, but Bridget Lancaster of America's Test Kitchen thinks they should be.  She grew up eating collards and thinks they mainly suffer from overcooking.) 

@fundieundies,  now I know what my next cookbook should be  -The Art of the Pie!

@squiddysquid,  I love your post about the woman with red contacts at the pride parade, but it also makes me laugh!

The website blurb for Living Hope, the ministry that Jill posted about on instagram, continues like so:

LHM proclaims a Christ-centered, Biblical world-view of sexual expression rooted in one man and one woman in a committed, monogamous, heterosexual marriage for life. Anything less than this ideal, falls short of God’s best for humanity.

Dang I'm starting to think the Dillards might be homophobes :\

Their website really emphasizes the idea that people are "turned" gay (almost always by abuse, lack of a father figure, or SATAN) and sexual orientation isn't real, which is in line with what we've heard Ofjill and other Duggarbuddies like Paul Caldwell and Jeremy say. One article ("A Drag Queen's True Transformation") gives the gist:

I learned from Ricky Chelette at Living Hope we should never diminish our faith in order to be friends with others. He also helped me learn how a person might “think” he is born gay.  I learned how Gods design didn’t include homosexuality. As I watched him explain homosexuality on a white board, I saw my life unfold and it all made perfect sense. 

I have found from living in more rural areas with not a lot of selection in the way of grocery stores, that it is cheaper to buy pre-prepared vegetables in a can or frozen and store them when they go on sale or to utilize coupons from places like BJs and buy in bulk. I got myself into trouble that way and now focus more on the quality of food I buy even if it costs more, but cooking shopping, and planning meals takes up considerable more time and money now. 

Dammit I depise uneducated smug homophobic fuckity fuck fundies.  Want to smash their teeth down their throats.

Jesus never said one word against people with alternative lifestyles.  Except hypocrites and the like.  All the stuff in the Bible condemning gays is only people’s opinion, 

i think Paul was gay and Timothy was his special friend.  How about that Jill you idiot.  

Furthermore I want a statue of Harvey Milk as big as the statue  of Liberty placed in San Francisco Bay.  Right now!!!!

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived