IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

Canned potatoes take me back to my childhood.........

Or more specifically that day in January just before payday when you're eating the last contents of the Christmas hamper (paid for over the year via the milkman or the Rington's tea man). Normally canned potatoes/veg and the Fray Bentos pie or if I'm really unlucky, spam fritters :puke-front:

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My kid didn't want to use his hands on his first birthday cake either. He got frosting on them then held his hands up above his head until I wiped them off. It was funny, I didn't force him. Jill should've had the sense to do the same. 

I've noticed quite a lot of little kids are squeamish about having claggy muck on their hands. A toddler I used to look after liked digging in flowerpots but would get very upset about his muddy hands. It shouldn't be a massive surprise that Sam wasn't thrilled to be covered in orange frosting.

Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for Jill (and none for OfJill) seeing how they treat their children. They're neglectful, don't care about their safety and seem to  supporters of blanket training/ physical punishment.

It's so obvious in the videos that they treat them like props with no regards to what Sam and Izzy really want. They don't care if their kids have a good time, they ignore them crying and being scared, young Izzy always seemed to have bruises, especially on his face. 

They went back to Central America when she was pregnant and Zika Virus was raging, plus Israel was too young to be vaccinated (for 2 months, what was the point of that? )

She might be miserable now, but I can't forget how smug she was, talking her sisters down. And her unskilled midwifery shenanigans, endangering babies and mums alike. She didn't notice Joy-Anna's baby was in breech position, for crying out loud!

https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1119601/jill-duggar-midwife

https://youtu.be/pkfNkqgLRU8

3 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

There are loads of videos out there of babies getting stuck into the cake and covering their hands, faces etc, and I suppose this is what Jill wanted - she wasn't interested in seeing Sam genuinely explore the food his own way (ie delicate prodding), she wanted a bit of viral content for her brand. So she's smushing his hands into it for the image SHE wants and thinks is relatable, not giving a crap about how Sam might wish to negotiate the world. Classic Dillard.

This is so sad. I'm sure we all have our hangups and insecurities, but at least we get to process them privately. I wish someone would take away their phones and disconnect their internet. Like get a real job and spend your free time WITH your children, enjoying them as themselves and not trying to make them perform to expectations.

I think Jill picked up the "You are enjoying this." thing from Jim Bob. I noticed in a lot of the shows when he's explaining the day's plans to the family he'll say it like "We are going to go (do activity) and it will be fun." It takes a lot of bullheaded hubris to speak for a whole roomful of people in that manner, but what else is to be expected?

I transcribed the wisdom of Jill and Derick from the first video, when he's getting a drink in the kitchen

D - Hey.

J - *quiet giggle*

D - We're the ones who'll remember this. *indicates party*

J - Yeah it's more for us than it is for the baby.

D - When the birthday boy's one I think we're the ones that will remember it.

Shortly after this someone asks Izzy if he's going to help Sam eat cake and instead of chattering about it like he had been about other things he just grunts in an affirmative manner, as it's the most polite way to say "Of course I will you moron."

I want to rescue these children.

Oh Jill definitely has a case of the shoulda's. She tries so hard and yet nothing ever goes the way that she wants it to. She needs to take a deep breath and let it be. Somethings you just can't push! 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Jill doesn’t cook she simply heats

That cake was sad. There's nothing wrong with a messy homemade cake, they can be tasty and charming. But for a smash cake video, it is just sad looking. The whole point of a smash cake is to present a baby with a pristine, beautifully decorated mini cake and watch what they do with it. Typically it is photographed in front of a cute backdrop and the photos are keepsakes. Examples below because I kinda love smash cake photo shoots:

Spoiler

769375441_SmashCake1.thumb.jpg.064153447049606f87820e0fb2bf947c.jpg2114711416_SmashCake2.thumb.jpg.de47562382acd98fd544c190e2a33c6a.jpg

Some people get them professionally photographed but it isn't really necessary. There's plenty of people who make their own backdrops and photograph it themselves. But unless you're a damn good baker, most people get a professional to make the mini cake. It seems like Jill has misunderstood why this is a thing. That cake was already messy, watching a kid mess it up isn't satisfying or fun. The fun is watching a baby have a blast while they demolish something gorgeous. None of that is happening here. I suppose that they're probably trying to save money by using a home-made cake since OfJill is a feckless loser and Jill's not allowed to earn money, but damn, they could have at least taken some photos in front of a "Happy Birthday" banner from the dollar store! Instead, Jill takes a long ass video where he's sitting in his highchair tentatively poking at an unremarkable cake, while the onlookers giggle awkwardly, waiting for him to do the what he's "supposed" to do until Jill forcibly shoves his hands into the cake. She didn't even put him in a festive outfit for the occasion. 

See, if it is a photo shoot then it is ok if the kid is slow to dig in. In fact, it is all the better! That gives you more time to take tons of photos and get some good ones. And if they never really "smash" the smash cake, you've still got some cute shots of baby's first birthday with a pretty cake. This did not need to be a video and it certainly didn't need to be a drawn out, boring, unedited, six-minute video. Jill, if nothing else, please learn to edit! 

18 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

That cake was sad. There's nothing wrong with a messy homemade cake, they can be tasty and charming. But for a smash cake video, it is just sad looking. The whole point of a smash cake is to present a baby with a pristine, beautifully decorated mini cake and watch what they do with it. Typically it is photographed in front of a cute backdrop and the photos are keepsakes. Examples below because I kinda love smash cake photo shoots:

Hide contents

769375441_SmashCake1.thumb.jpg.064153447049606f87820e0fb2bf947c.jpg2114711416_SmashCake2.thumb.jpg.de47562382acd98fd544c190e2a33c6a.jpg

Some people get them professionally photographed but it isn't really necessary. There's plenty of people who make their own backdrops and photograph it themselves. But unless you're a damn good baker, most people get a professional to make the mini cake. It seems like Jill has misunderstood why this is a thing. That cake was already messy, watching a kid mess it up isn't satisfying or fun. The fun is watching a baby have a blast while they demolish something gorgeous. None of that is happening here. I suppose that they're probably trying to save money by using a home-made cake since OfJill is a feckless loser and Jill's not allowed to earn money, but damn, they could have at least taken some photos in front of a "Happy Birthday" banner from the dollar store! Instead, Jill takes a long ass video where he's sitting in his highchair tentatively poking at an unremarkable cake, while the onlookers giggle awkwardly, waiting for him to do the what he's "supposed" to do until Jill forcibly shoves his hands into the cake. She didn't even put him in a festive outfit for the occasion. 

See, if it is a photo shoot then it is ok if the kid is slow to dig in. In fact, it is all the better! That gives you more time to take tons of photos and get some good ones. And if they never really "smash" the smash cake, you've still got some cute shots of baby's first birthday with a pretty cake. This did not need to be a video and it certainly didn't need to be a drawn out, boring, unedited, six-minute video. Jill, if nothing else, please learn to edit! 

I thought the point was just to let the baby try some cake, and if you got some cute pictures out of it, cool. I didn't realize there was a whole new trend of giving a baby a beautiful pristine professionally decorated cake, putting them in front of a specially created backdrop, and making sure to get Pinterest-worthy photos as they eat/destroy it. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a bit over the top, and I'm not sure if it's what Jill was even going for. Her videos are weird as hell regardless, though.

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I thought the point was just to let the baby try some cake, and if you got some cute pictures out of it, cool. I didn't realize there was a whole new trend of giving a baby a beautiful pristine professionally decorated cake, putting them in front of a specially created backdrop, and making sure to get Pinterest-worthy photos as they eat/destroy it. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a bit over the top, and I'm not sure if it's what Jill was even going for. Her videos are weird as hell regardless, though.

Yeah, can't you just have fun watching a baby eat a cake? I feel like the pinterest and instagram culture creates so much unnecessary pressure.

Poor Sam!  His little arm was all red from being forced into the cake.  Geez Jill!  Lighten up and enjoy your kids.  This time flies by so quickly and all she is worried about is their performance for the camera.  

I forgot who mentioned it upthread, but I remember those times on 19KAC when JizzBlob used tell the kids that their plans for the day were going to be a fun time.  The tone of his voice always said to me, "You will enjoy yourselves or there will be consequences".  

I severely dislike these people.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Maybe it's just me, but that seems a bit over the top, and I'm not sure if it's what Jill was even going for. Her videos are weird as hell regardless, though.

Oh, it is absolutely over the top. It's insanely extra but I can't help but love it. It combines some of my favourite things: Cake art + babies in cute outfits + over the top styling. I figure it is a fun thing to do for a first birthday since the whole day is really more for the parents anyway. A one-year-old doesn't even care what day it is, let alone what the theme of their party is. 

I do think Jill was going for something like this, simply because she seems to want to be a Pinterest-worthy mommy blogger but doesn't seem to know how to get there. 

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Yeah, can't you just have fun watching a baby eat a cake? I feel like the pinterest and instagram culture creates so much unnecessary pressure.

Yeah, I get that. But mommy bloggers/Instagrammers gotta get those clicks! For normal people, I think yeah it is over the top and not something everyone should/needs to do. But some people love it and it can make for some great pictures. By no means should it be an expected part of a kid's first birthday. 

Maybe I'm being BEC but I feel like Jill is trying to build a social media brand, but doesn't have the understanding of what makes something clickable or interesting. If that's your goal, being over the top is kinda part of the gig. This video was under the top. Way under. 

My gr daughter had her first birthday a few months ago. DIL ordered a birthday cake for her and it came with a small smash cake for free. She was tentative at first, but one taste and she figured it out real quick. 

4-15-18.jpg

@Chickenbutt I think this is so adorable. It doesn't need to be a whole production, and I'm sorry if I made it sound like it does, but this is a good example of a cute cake smash pic that isn't over the top. Kid looks absolutely delighted and that's what makes it perfect. 

Oh, no need to apologize. She would not have had a smash cake were it not free. That was an unexpected bonus. And she will dive into pretty much any food, hence the little chubby baby belly..lol. It was a pretty subdued party, 3-4 friends, a couple of little kids and Nana and Papa of course. Perfect for a party she won't ever remember. I've never understood the need for a huge party and big expense except to appease the parents (and a gift grab).

2 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Oh, no need to apologize. She would not have had a smash cake were it not free. That was an unexpected bonus. And she will dive into pretty much any food, hence the little chubby baby belly..lol. It was a pretty subdued party, 3-4 friends, a couple of little kids and Nana and Papa of course. Perfect for a party she won't ever remember. I've never understood the need for a huge party and big expense except to appease the parents (and a gift grab).

I've never understood huge 1st birthday parties either. That's kinda why I like the idea of the over-the-top cake smash instead. Do it up for the pictures beforehand, if you feel so inclined, and then have a nice relaxed time with family. But some people love any excuse for a big party I guess. Not my style but sure, I'll bring a board book for the baby as long as there's booze. 

Booze at a baby's birthday party?! :pb_eek: I obviously don't get out much......lololol. Or rather, I am just old. 

My kids' first birthdays were always just a family affair. Kid got a slice of cake to get filthy with and the other folks got the rest of the cake, no "smash cake". They sat in the high chair and went from there into the tub. #3's birthday was in late June so hotter than hell so we did it outside and he got stripped and hosed off afterwards. 

The big "productions" started at about age 3 or so. 

Outside of Jinjer, I feel like I have no idea what any of these married adult kids are doing media wise. They don't seem to be branding for the show so much as they are posting because they are accustomed to being in the limelight. If Derick is going to law school to eventually become an influential politician, then Jill may be trying to promote family values. I just think she's going about it all wrong. I see her attempting to appear more mainstream. But posting materials like homeschooling tools and unappealing recipes in really fundie and sectional. She needs separate PR if that's where they're heading. I just hope they're not. Derick will most likely succeed where Josh did not. 

49 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

It's interesting/weird how so many parts of parenting and childhood are transforming into these flashy public performances. It ends up being so homogenizing; with smash cakes it's less about seeing how baby reacts to a new food and more about baby specifically smashing the cake because that's what babies are supposed to do.

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

It's interesting/weird how so many parts of parenting and childhood are transforming into these flashy public performances. It ends up being so homogenizing; with smash cakes it's less about seeing how baby reacts to a new food and more about baby specifically smashing the cake because that's what babies are supposed to do.

This exact thing happened with one of my nephews.  He didn't want anything to do with the smash cake and his mother stuck one of his hands in it and smeared it on his face so she could take a picture for Instagram.  I hate the whole smash cake thing, so I identified this particular nephew as my kindred spirit when he decided he wanted no part of it (no offense intended to those who think smash cakes are cute because I know my hatred of them is the vast minority!)

Even the so called little smash cakes can pretty big for a little baby. There's a point where it seems to me and me only to be overly messy, wasteful, and an awful lot of sugar for a little baby. Having said that, I did enjoy the pictures posted since it seemed like the babies were having a good time. Happy birthday to all the little Free Jinger babies out there! 

I'm so glad my daughter didn't bother with smash cakes.  The grandson took one taste and pushed the cake away.  He cried if anyone tried to give him more.  Six months later we learned he hates chocolate.  Granddaughter ate her piece (what she ate of it) with a fork.  There was no smashing or sticking fingers in it for her.  

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived