IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, fundieundies said:

Have you heard of the book 'Art of the Pie'?? I swear it's amazing - I used to suck at making pie but I used her recipes and now I can even make my own crust! I'm terrible at making cakes so this book is a godsend 

No, but I will look for it. Thanks.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

But I also can't see him using condoms or having Jill use birth control. 

Yeah but he’s also a hypocrite so I wouldn’t be surprised.

That idea that Jill could be ministering to people with small food budgets-if that were true that would be great and I would actually admire her for it. But like someone else said down thread-she isn’t clever enough to come up with that idea on her own. Despite being told her entire life that her duty is to be a servant to others-she doesn’t know how to actually do that. None of them do.

Yes, annoying thing #234 about the Duggars: how badly they suck at ministrying to others. I have not seen a single one of them really find a niche in "serving" others. Not media savy Jessa. Not fashion savy Jinger. Not dry witted JD. Not one.  Oh, how unfair I'm  being.  Just this week, their drawings really ministered to me. "Scribble" ministry at its finest. Yeah, sure being paid to answer stupid questionsbe on tv is a ministry. Keep telling yourself that Duggars. 

16 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Maybe, with these recipes, Jill is "ministering" to those who truly are food deprived. These are simple recipes that a non-cook could easily follow, and that use inexpensive ingredients. I'm sure many (most?) of her followers live frugally because of poverty. And I can't believe I'm defending her but whatever. 

As for canned/cheap food options, I'm seeing the same old food-shaming bullshit from FJers for the zillionth time. Come on, y'all. Stop with that. 

Well, if Jill starts saying that is what she is doing then we will have confirmation she reads here. You are doing her work for her.

I can't remember the cost of canned chicken but around here Walmart has boneless skinless chicken breasts for a little less than $2 per pound. Sure it's sold in big packages that will end up costing maybe $12, but that's a LOT of food. If you repackage the chicken into smaller containers and freeze it, it could last a long time especially if it's paired with something filling like potatoes, which are also relatively cheap, tasty and easy to prepare.  No cream of hypertension soup required. My food ministry has spoken!

A couple of thoughts:

I was thinking. Jim Bob must be beside himself that he agreed to Derick as a son-in-law. Look at how that turned out. In contrast, I bet he thinks highly of Ben, the son-in-law he gave the runaround to in the beginning.

And I'm sorry, but I expected Jill to make a homemade birthday cake better than that. She grew up solely learning how to be a wife and mother, has 18 siblings and has been a part of countless birthday parties, and she didn't learn how to make a good cake? Girlfriend just doesn't have the knack for baking and cooking, I guess. At least the color is nice and bright.

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I was watching Milk Street with Christopher Kimball recently and he was in Spain with Jose Andres.  Jose was telling Christopher about how they'd have Garlic Soup at the end of the month when they had no money.

I adore Jose Andres. The work he is doing globally, especially in Puerto Rico, to help feed people when disaster hits is simply amazing.

His Central Kitchen is one of my favorite charities this year.

On 8/2/2018 at 4:16 AM, fundieundies said:

I do think Jill is disillusioned with her life but doesn't have the skills to recognize and absorb the fact. Even though we only see a tiny slice of their life I think she's settled and shelved her aspirations because of her religion's strict standards all her life. I also think she's torn between wanting to accomplish something for herself and being the model stay at home fundie wife, I do think in some ways she thought she could have both. She wanted to be a midwife but could progress to any level of legitimacy because it would take her away from her future husband & children and that goes against her religion. So finally she met this worldly (read: college educated) man with a real job who I'm sure she thought would give her the freedom to express herself outside the home by taking getting an actual certificate in midwifery. Instead he drags her around behind him as he bounces around "godly callings", so she never got the change to explore her passion for birthin' babies and is reconciling with letting it go. I think she settled with mommy blogging and that's going terribly for her. 

I don't doubt for a second that she was proud of being the first girl to be married and have a baby and all these things, but the specialness of that wore off when her sisters followed in her footsteps and did it better than her. Jessa seems to have a better knowledge of health eating/food (her boys eat kefir for Rufus' sake!)  and could easily teach her to do better but doesn't. Maybe Jill hasn't accepted the help because she's too proud to admit she's terrible at something or her uppity attitude made Jessa want to stay away.

Ok this is getting terribly long but watching Jill and OfJill is like watching a car wreck, it's entertaining but sad and I'm sure I'll get way more opportunities to contribute to the conversation

This is pretty much also my take on the whole situation. She tries. She tries so hard. She was a good girl and thought she did everything right. That didn't help. Now she tries again to make something out of her bad situation, and it's not working. I really feel a bit sorry for her. 

I believe today is “graduation day” for Derick from his one-year program at Cross Church School of Ministry, according to the church’s Facebook page. I have many questions. Will he actually graduate? Will we get a law school announcement? Will Jill make something fancy to eat to celebrate? 

2 hours ago, xenobia said:

This is pretty much also my take on the whole situation. She tries. She tries so hard. She was a good girl and thought she did everything right. That didn't help. Now she tries again to make something out of her bad situation, and it's not working. I really feel a bit sorry for her. 

Yeah, I used to feel a bit sorry for her before she started promoting the racist Tuttle Twins trash, and now this ex-gay ministry bullshit. She’s using her platform to spread the word for things that legitimately hurt people. She can rot in her miserable marriage for all I care. Maybe one day she’ll realize how much her parents failed her and leave him, but till then she doesn’t get any more of my sympathy. There are more deserving people out there.

Speaking of, I wonder if the reason they’re promoting this shit is because they’re not on the show anymore? Like, I wonder if TLC has a rule that they’re not allowed to promote or endorse anything on social media that they themselves are not personally involved in while they’re on the show. I say this because I was once again wondering what Jill and OfJill’s obsession with gayness is, but maybe the only reason we haven’t seen more of this from the rest of the family is because TLC has them on a leash? Has anyone else explicitly promoted anything similar? 

All my sympathy goes to those poor boys who have to grow up with these two sex-obsessed bigots as parents, and to any unlucky queer kids born into these shitty families. 

28 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Yeah, I used to feel a bit sorry for her before she started promoting the racist Tuttle Twins trash, and now this ex-gay ministry bullshit. She’s using her platform to spread the word for things that legitimately hurt people. She can rot in her miserable marriage for all I care. Maybe one day she’ll realize how much her parents failed her and leave him, but till then she doesn’t get any more of my sympathy. There are more deserving people out there.

Speaking of, I wonder if the reason they’re promoting this shit is because they’re not on the show anymore? Like, I wonder if TLC has a rule that they’re not allowed to promote or endorse anything on social media that they themselves are not personally involved in while they’re on the show. I say this because I was once again wondering what Jill and OfJill’s obsession with gayness is, but maybe the only reason we haven’t seen more of this from the rest of the family is because TLC has them on a leash? Has anyone else explicitly promoted anything similar? 

All my sympathy goes to those poor boys who have to grow up with these two sex-obsessed bigots as parents, and to any unlucky queer kids born into these shitty families. 

Her situation does in no way justify the hatred towards LGTB people. That was not my point, and if it came out as if I was trying to excuse her - I'm not. I know how much damage people like her can cause. I have a friend in the US who spent many years and lots of money on conversion therapy. His life story is a topic of its own. And since it came up, I'll take the opportunity to blatantly promote him (he's an actor) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterson_Toscano   https://petersontoscano.com

And on topic: Yes, I do think that the Dillards attitude towards LGTB was part of the decision to kick them out of the show. I have no doubt that all (or most) of the Duggars and their friends have the same crappy views, but they are more media smart and know that it's not a big hit to spell it out as clear as the Dillards. 

The Duggar Srs CLAIMED to be "training" the girls to be wives and mothers, but as with everything else, they fell short. The girls never got any real instruction in the things that wives and mothers do, like actually managing a home, learning to cook/bake, etc. It seems that all they learned was how to look after a passel of children and be "joyfully available". One more time the Duggar parents utterly failed. 

Chicken: Kroger has frozen chicken breasts and thighs for about 10 bucks a package. Don't have to repackage them, they're individually frozen. 2 of my favorite things to buy. Don't need canned with all the added glop and sodium. 

I sort of feel sorry for the girls, they were cheated out of so much growing up. I can see where turning away from the indoctrination can take quite a while and it's pretty much impossible to say where they'll be in 10-20 years. However, the whole cooking/baking thing? Damn...I mean, the mother never taught me to cook (she was a horrible cook) but I learned right quick how to churn out some pretty damn good meals. Maybe its that they've had imagination and creativity pushed out of them...it takes a little bit of both to be a decent cook (well, if you never use a cookbook). If not, score a copy of the Betty Crocker Cookbook, the one that's the 3 ring binder. I've had mine for years and years and still pull it out regularly. 

4 hours ago, xenobia said:

I don't know if I'd say I feel sorry for her but I do get sad when I think about her life. I think her flaws are compounded by Ofjill and that's made her worse in the eyes of those sisters that she isn't close with. She has seemingly no friends outside her family and her relationship with family looks strange right now. It's just so odd to me that she has no self-awareness and doesn't pick up on the fact that nearly everyone finds her recipes odd, I agree with what someone said that she's not smart enough to brand herself as a blogger for food scarce people. She has no sense of direction or desire to improve her blogging so she can actually make money, I'm sure she could talk to Jessa or meeting with a successful Christian blogger but she doesn't?

Just now, fundieundies said:

I don't know if I'd say I feel sorry for her but I do get sad when I think about her life. I think her flaws are compounded by Ofjill and that's made her worse in the eyes of those sisters that she isn't close with. She has seemingly no friends outside her family and her relationship with family looks strange right now. It's just so odd to me that she has no self-awareness and doesn't pick up on the fact that nearly everyone finds her recipes odd, I agree with what someone said that she's not smart enough to brand herself as a blogger for food scarce people. She has no sense of direction or desire to improve her blogging so she can actually make money, I'm sure she could talk to Jessa or meeting with a successful Christian blogger but she doesn't?

Feeling sad is perhaps a better way of putting it in english than feeling sorry (english is not my first language, so nuances can be difficult to express sometimes  - I'd encourage all of the english speaking posters here to try writing in their second language :)). And yes, I do agree with everything you said here as well. I also thought that her relationship with her family looks strange.

1 hour ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Jeremy's Grace Church seems to offer conversion counseling or w/e to LGBTQ people (his website used to feature a "testimony" from someone who quit ID'ing as gay after he got Jesus.) Paul Caldwell's church sent out tracts to the community about how sexual orientation is a myth. Both of those dudes are on the show allllllll the dang time.

Since you're specifically asking about endorsing discriminatory organizations, I guess there's Anna? Her pre-scandal twitter account is still up, and it's full of retweets from "ministries" like that.

45 minutes ago, fundieundies said:

She is the perfect example of a person who has been hosed by the fundie system!

Someone on reddit took one for the team and made the enchilada disaster. 

MasterChef Jill’s Sodium Enchilada Review (see comments)

sjc1v2dx15e11.jpg

9 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@xenobia,  reading Peterson Toscano's wikipedia page reminds me of this I read just this morning:

They call themselves Mama Bears.  Churches that mess with their LGBTQ kids should listen up.

Thanks! Great read. Reminds me of the "Free mom hugs" group that Sara Cunningham started. She (and now many others) goes to LGTB-weddings as "stand-in parents". It makes me sad that groups like Mama Bears and Free mom hugs are needed, but I'm so glad that these mothers are connecting with each other through FB and other social media. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sara-cunningham-oklahoma-free-mom-hugs-same-sex-weddings-stand-in-mother/

Those recipes are really baffling. I did not know how to cook at all when I moved out. Despite my mother's best efforts to teach me at least the basics, I refused to learn and she gave up. She figured that I would learn when I wanted to. 

When I moved out of my parent's house seven years ago, I had never boiled pasta. I slowly learned how to cook because I needed to. At first it was more processed stuff. Now more from scratch. Having a child helped me to up my game. I felt that if I was a mother I should learn to cook better. 

I'm a fairly anxious person so it took me a lot of baby steps to get to where I am now. But I was able to cook my family's big easter dinner all by myself this year. 

That being said, I'm not going around blog posting recipes and pretending that I'm some kind of expert like Jill is. That's really where she gets into trouble. If she phrased it as learning to cook better or something then maybe she wouldn't be quite so irritating. But of course then she would need to admit that her parents did not adequately prepare her for the world. 

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

She grew up eating collards and thinks they mainly suffer from overcooking.

Yas. Collards are very, very versatile.

I don't quite get where Jill is coming from as a food blogger, even if she wanted to focus on food insecure households she's not using ingredients that speak to it. in the US or the mission territories where she lived and canned chicken wasn't a thing.  At the very least have appetizing photos of your finished product or people enjoying it. Throw in some believable fake reviews!*

*Coming from an aspiring food and fiction blogger, who is working pretty damn hard to make sure the recipes that go along with each chapter in the serial are appetizing, healthy (low sodium) and pretty to go along with the story.

I've thought of making a food blog because of how much I love to cook and bake, but I suck at photography and at being a consistent blogger. If I could improve on those skills, perhaps. But I'm nowhere near ready for prime time. 

The thing is, Jill has all the ingredients to be a successful mommy blogger. She's a pretty white upper-middle-class lady with adorable children and a compelling backstory. She has more than enough money to get a nice camera and learn to use it. She has siblings who are capable of operating said camera and taking pictures of her doing activities with said adorable children. She could gussy up her PR skills and play up her unhealthy and frankly unappetizing recipes as "busy mom cooking" (hey, it worked for the Maxwells). She could do a little style blogging and talk about transitioning into wearing clothing she was told was evil/sinful when she was a child, and why she's choosing to wear those clothes now. She could have a pretty good and engaging blog, but her parents and her husband have set her up to settle, to see learning and self-cultivation as a waste of time or potentially evil, to think that following all the rules and saying that you love Jeebus is enough to be a Good Person and Good At Stuff. 

Jill, you probably believe the same terrible shit your husband does, but I am still rooting for you in spite of myself and basic logic. 

6 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I've thought of making a food blog because of how much I love to cook and bake, but I suck at photography and at being a consistent blogger. If I could improve on those skills, perhaps. But I'm nowhere near ready for prime time. 

The thing is, Jill has all the ingredients to be a successful mommy blogger. She's a pretty white upper-middle-class lady with adorable children and a compelling backstory. She has more than enough money to get a nice camera and learn to use it. She has siblings who are capable of operating said camera and taking pictures of her doing activities with said adorable children. She could gussy up her PR skills and play up her unhealthy and frankly unappetizing recipes as "busy mom cooking" (hey, it worked for the Maxwells). She could do a little style blogging and talk about transitioning into wearing clothing she was told was evil/sinful when she was a child, and why she's choosing to wear those clothes now. She could have a pretty good and engaging blog, but her parents and her husband have set her up to settle, to see learning and self-cultivation as a waste of time or potentially evil, to think that following all the rules and saying that you love Jeebus is enough to be a Good Person and Good At Stuff. 

Jill, you probably believe the same terrible shit your husband does, but I am still rooting for you in spite of myself and basic logic. 

Would Jill be considered upper middle class, in terms of the (unofficial) American class system? I don't know much about it.

I'm too lazy to find Jill's twitter so here's the reddit link but look at this slop.

Bless her little crowd pleasing heart.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived