IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

17 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

What is Trash the Dress? 

It’s a thing that was really popular a few years ago where you do a photo shoot with your new spouse in your wedding dress that will ‘trash’ it. 

So jumping into a body of water, laying in the sand by the ocean for the waves to crash over you. Some people would take it farther and go dirt biking or throw coloured paint at each other. 

I feel like it originally started with destination brides because there are some stunning beaches around some of those fancy resorts. FFACE3AC-D4C5-4A19-BC36-E42D3574AEC8.thumb.jpeg.d86938ea72b13eadea97261263a6c5c1.jpegC346A4FF-BAEF-4251-8B86-8C69EC574195.thumb.jpeg.aa11ed3fc6c95c8e3ed998cd7c7734bf.jpegFA9C5F08-C374-4445-A51B-E293F6B8BFA4.thumb.jpeg.d378c54817cc4002aa55474c1e1eed2d.jpeg

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoiler

I thought trash the dress was when you were newly divorced and looking to have a "rebirth" i guess you could call it?

13 minutes ago, Nargus said:

It’s a thing that was really popular a few years ago where you do a photo shoot with your new spouse in your wedding dress that will ‘trash’ it. 

So jumping into a body of water, laying in the sand by the ocean for the waves to crash over you. Some people would take it farther and go dirt biking or throw coloured paint at each other. 

I feel like it originally started with destination brides because there are some stunning beaches around some of those fancy resorts. FFACE3AC-D4C5-4A19-BC36-E42D3574AEC8.thumb.jpeg.d86938ea72b13eadea97261263a6c5c1.jpegC346A4FF-BAEF-4251-8B86-8C69EC574195.thumb.jpeg.aa11ed3fc6c95c8e3ed998cd7c7734bf.jpegFA9C5F08-C374-4445-A51B-E293F6B8BFA4.thumb.jpeg.d378c54817cc4002aa55474c1e1eed2d.jpeg

Oh my! I could see doing that with your wedding dress you married your ex in...but not one you married your current husband in. 

3 hours ago, kachuu said:

Really, this complaint is BEC.

I think I'm at least trying at least to see both sides of this argument - I may think it's gross to watch a kid smear themselves with six servings of cake, but a lot of people think it's adorable.  They have valid reasons that they've explained.  And people who find it wasteful or attention seeking - well I'm in that camp, and I think that's valid too.  

If you can't articulate your reason why you disagree, I don't see anything constructive or thoughtful about dismissing others' views just by labelling it "bitch eating crackers."  

I think most people try to aim for thoughtful discussion here.  Ad hominems are not thoughtful discussion.  If this is what this thread's devolved into, I think I'm peacing out like @singsingsing

4 hours ago, kachuu said:

The first thing that popped into my head is how people would say "you need to finish your plate, kids are starving in Africa"

Because our leftovers were ever going to the starving kids in Africa (or anywhere, for that matter?)

When I was a kid, my grandmother (who grew up poor during the Depression), instead of using the "kids starving in Africa" line, would tell me to clear my plate because "There are kids eating out of garbage cans!"

So, I threw away as much food as I possibly could, so those kids eating out of garbage cans would find my food inside and have something to eat.

That kind of backfired on her.

7 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

When I was a kid, my grandmother (who grew up poor during the Depression), instead of using the "kids starving in Africa" line, would tell me to clear my plate because "There are kids eating out of garbage cans!"

So, I threw away as much food as I possibly could, so those kids eating out of garbage cans would find my food inside and have something to eat.

That kind of backfired on her.

Oh my God, I tried to use that line on my consumers when they refused to eat a hotdish I made because I didn't put cheese on it, and the one looked me straight in the line and said, "But I'm not." 

Tiny cakes at WalMart are $6. BFD. 

GryffindorDisappointment was offered her (incredibly ugly but made by me) cake and she just pulled a single PINK (yes, folks - PINK!!!! PINK FOR A GIRL OMFG HOW IN THE WORLD CAN I JUSTIFY PINK FOR A GIRL?!?!?!? /sarcasm) flower off it and that was it.

Had she wanted to dig in, that was fine too.

I have video (from a giant camcorder) of the non-event.

I had a tiny cake of my own at my first birthday, as did my sisters. I stuck one finger in the icing, then tried to shake it off because I didn't want to get dirty. My parents have photos, and recorded it in my baby book. I think there's video of it on a reel somewhere, too, that's been transferred to VHS and then later to DVD. I'm the oldest. I've seen a photo of each of the others covered in cake, but no detailed description. All my cousins had their own little cakes at their first birthdays, too.

I get why people feel it's wasteful, but I personally find it a cute tradition. It's usually a small cake, maybe twice the size of a cupcake, and usually the kid has fun with it. If others have different traditions, that's cool too. You do you!

Don't make it awkward like Jill, however. At least not if you're going to be all over social media with it.

Just now, Alisamer said:

I had a tiny cake of my own at my first birthday, as did my sisters. I stuck one finger in the icing, then tried to shake it off because I didn't want to get dirty. My parents have photos, and recorded it in my baby book. I think there's video of it on a reel somewhere, too, that's been transferred to VHS and then later to DVD. I'm the oldest. I've seen a photo of each of the others covered in cake, but no detailed description. All my cousins had their own little cakes at their first birthdays, too.

I get why people feel it's wasteful, but I personally find it a cute tradition. It's usually a small cake, maybe twice the size of a cupcake, and usually the kid has fun with it. If others have different traditions, that's cool too. You do you!

Don't make it awkward like Jill, however. At least not if you're going to be all over social media with it.

And hell, don't toddlers usually end up wasting half the food on their plates anyways?

This thread drift made me want cake, so I got day old cake at the bakery with a coffee and that was my breakfast. 

Red velvet, cream cheese icing with dark chocolate buttercream between the layers. I have zero regrets.

I ache and cringe for Jill, she's trying *so* hard. There financials are unclear and she's stuck in a role of trying to use her social media to offset her husband's. He goes off the rails, she tries to reset his image by being very public with praise and gratefulness for him to show the word he's a good guy. Really, he's the absolute most best and thoughtful person when he's interacting with people in real life.

I honestly hope Derick and Roseanne Barr team up to write a book on twitter etiquette for aspiring tv stars.

3 hours ago, kachuu said:
  Hide contents

I thought trash the dress was when you were newly divorced and looking to have a "rebirth" i guess you could call it?

I saw something like this on social media. A woman had her wedding planned out, dress purchased and all, but her husband to be left her. So she did a photoshoot in the dress with her bridesmaids, and they had a rainbow paint fight.

Yup. This thread makes me want cake. I may have to do something about that.

Okay now I will confess. The rare times we bought a cake, usually just for high school graduations, we got it at a certain grocery store in town. They sell baby cakes, which I always thought was a way to taste their cake and their icing. Although I had heard of baby smash cakes a few years ago, I hadn't put the two items together until now. I can't tell you how many baby cakes I've eaten when I have been visiting my folks and I just want a little something sweet and can eat a quarter of the cake at a time instead of buying a huge cake and have it dry out.

We had a tiny cake made at Target for DS1's first birthday last year. I asked if they did smash cakes and she knew exactly what I was talking about. I had cupcakes made for the family that came. DS1 did exactly what we wanted and smashed the heck out of his cake. I rolled the highchair into the downstairs bathroom and transferred him directly into the bathtub for clean up. I think, at least it was for us, that it's cute and funny to see what they do when presented with cake. I'm pretty strict about desserts and sweet stuff with him so I did a lot of overthinking about whether it would be great for him to have what was essentially the size of an extra large cupcake. In the end though, it was just for fun, and a lot of it didn't make it in his mouth. Here's an aerial shot of the damage since there's nothing identifiable in it.

Spoiler

24174242_10103375833993643_445140289429281731_n.jpg.4b3e717bbed5ef7b45f7ed3de24fdbd5.jpg

I'm not a cake person, I'll eat maybe one slice and be done with it. So I don't see much sense in birthday cakes. My parents used to buy birthday cakes for me and my brother that we never ate, up until we got to be about 10. What was the point? They felt that we had to have a birthday cake, even though we didn't want cakes. Was it a waste? Eh debatable, my Dad's big family found someone to eat it. Jill's forcing Sam's hands into the cake kinda made me think of that. Birthdays were just a pain in my household and they weren't even a big deal. 

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I'm not a cake person, I'll eat maybe one slice and be done with it. So I don't see much sense in birthday cakes. My parents used to buy birthday cakes for me and my brother that we never ate, up until we got to be about 10. What was the point? They felt that we had to have a birthday cake, even though we didn't want cakes. Was it a waste? Eh debatable, my Dad's big family found someone to eat it. Jill's forcing Sam's hands into the cake kinda made me think of that. Birthdays were just a pain in my household and they weren't even a big deal. 

I don't really like cake either, so my mother made me birthday pies!  Homemade dark chocolate pie with real whipped cream.  Yummy!

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Yes, this is exactly what I believe too. It’s just another perspective and clearly many do not agree.

If you comprehended my first post, it stated clearly stated that our family did not do it. Moving on...

You seem to be the one running into a reading comprehension problem.

Her post lists out other holiday traditions that people could call "wasteful," which could make someone who participated in those activities a hypocrite for condemning smash cakes (which are rarely full size cakes, just ftr). So your family never wrapped presents, had a Christmas tree, or played a game with toilet paper at a baby shower? C'mon. Really? 

Per your posts, you are not a young kid. Can you really not see the self-righteousness of your recent posts?

But thanks for the reminder of why I need to limit my visits to Duggar threads...

We’ve had so many birthdays and celebrations at work lately that I’m all caked out (though I have no willpower and will eat it anyway)

All of you who don't like cake can send me your share! Man, I love me some cake. ... And pies... And bread... And muffins.... 

I just started watching The Great British Baking Show this week for the first time on Netflix and I am very much in a "bake all the things!" mood.

I'm not really a cake person either. I prefer pie, especially cheesecake, which I firmly avow to be, despite the name, a form of pie.

1 hour ago, sparklymagie said:

I just started watching The Great British Baking Show this week for the first time on Netflix and I am very much in a "bake all the things!" mood.

Isn't that show the best? (My summer addiction).

If you are baking, make sure you don't have a soggy bottom!

I often requested a pie instead of a cake for my birthday. If I got a cake, it was the Southern monstrosity known simply as "Texas Sheet Cake." Here's a link:  

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/classic-texas-sheet-cake/7c95e8d6-dbb1-4f7f-836a-52a49a1753c8 

And if I got a pie, it was always my mom's own coconut cream pie with mile-high meringue. That's one of the things I miss since she died. She wasn't much of a cook, but she made the best coconut cream pie (and that dang sheet cake that I'm now craving). 

Ive always  been pretty much the poster girl for being willing to try and enjoy new foods, so my parents felt pretty confident that  cake and pie would be hits with me. The first time I had cake I was still in a high chair. My mom gave me a tiny bit on a spoon and I laughed and spit it out. My dad tried a second spoon and before he even got it  in my mouth I started screaming. Somehow I recoiled so badly I kicked the tray off the high chair (it smashed into my dad's nose) and flipped the chair back. Thankfully there was a random young child circulating behind the chair that broke my fall. Sadly, there is video of this event.... 

The parents thought they were being smarter with the first bite of pie they offered me. I was at home sitting on the kitchen floor with my back to the cabinets and my mom gave me a little bit in a bowl. I picked a berry up with my hands, licked it, made a face then launched myself up and ran into the living room where I grabbed pie filling in both hands and smeared it across the flocked velvet wall paper while screaming "nooooooooo" at the top of my lungs. I'm sure the room needed to be redecorated anyway...

The only sweet I liked as a kid was ice cream, and for years, desert was something that happened to other people. I still don't like cake and loathe pie, but would (probably) refrain from kicking a table in someone's face or smearing it on walls to avoid eating it.

You never know how kids are going to react to some new stimulus - especially when it involves an unfamiliar food. It seems a little foolish to try to force a baby to react how you think they should just to get a certain type of photo - and it's kinda too bad Jill and Co. just won't relax and go with it - they might get something more memorable or indicative of the child's personality than what they set out for.

On waste: a lot of shit we do for kids is probably wasteful. Let a kid color? WASTEFUL of paper. Buy decent clothing and bedsheets for a baby? WASTEFUL because they'll just shit all over everything. Buying a kid any clothing at all? WASTEFUL, they'll grow out of it in a month. Just leave your kid naked in an empty room until they learn to mend and make do. /s, obviously. 

So my twin brother hates cake, with our first birthday me going really in and loving it and him being like "what is this mess?!". So even though he doesn't like cake it's weird to get a cake with my name only so I still get his name on it plus make him pose with me infront of it.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived