IGNORED

Jinjer 40: Still Waiting for the Baby

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

ETA I'd also suggest a name that can work well with both languages, even if maybe with a minimal spelling difference, such as Laura, Anna, Luisa, Sofia, Adele, Diana, Agnese, Maria, Elisa etc.

May I put forth Emilia which may or may not be the name I gave my daughter. We're not Italian but my friend whose parents are from Italy was tickled pink that I gave my daughter her mom's name (and my grandmother's). I actually use her nickname which is a name on it's own and not recognized as a nickname for Emilia much more often.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be nice if Mary was in there somewhere for Grandma Duggar since Grandpa Duggar already has a son, Grandsons and Greatgrandsons with his name. Even Michelle’s dad does now. Michelle’s mother’s name was Ethel so she is out of the running :)

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I've long thought "Dillard" is one of the worst last names to be stuck with (even before Derick started showing his ass.)

It's pretty bad. One of the worst I've seen though was a woman who worked at my high school, Mrs. Butt!

32 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Would be nice if Mary was in there somewhere for Grandma Duggar since Grandpa Duggar already has a son, Grandsons and Greatgrandsons with his name. Even Michelle’s dad does now. Michelle’s mother’s name was Ethel so she is out of the running :)

Jana’s middle name is Marie. So Grandma Mary already has a namesake.

No offense meant to many fine families I am sure but Roach as a last name is pretty horrible... what if she falls in love with a man named Butts and wantd to keep her last name? “Hey, I am Suzy Roach Butts!” Almost  any combination will get snickers. 

When my older brother and I were in high school,I was  a freshman ,he a senior..there was a girl in his class...her name was Debbie  Nutt. What struck me as funny was the Gym teacher would not call us girls by our first names,she addressed us by our last name.My maiden name was made fun of ,too,sometimes.

Moving onto my brother's graduation,he was third in his class,so he was sitting up front.At the ceremony the announcer would announce your name..when he got to Debbie Nutt.....he said'Debbie?????Nutt??????.....she shot him a dirty look.I could hear other people laughing and took one look at my brother sitting upfront,trying to keep a straight face,and yes,I was told many times it's rude to laugh at someone's name.

3 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

creamed chipped beef (white gravy)

Yes yes yes. It’s a big favorite in my family, my grandmother makes it the best, and nothing bothers me more than when people call it ‘shit on a shingle’ because shut up it’s delicious. 

In kindergarten, I had a teacher's aide named Miss Butts. My dad asked if her first name was Seymour. I didn't get it.

1 minute ago, Jatalie1996 said:

In kindergarten, I had a teacher's aide named Miss Butts. My dad asked if her first name was Seymour. I didn't get it.

There was an auto mechanic in the town I grew up in who was named Harry Butts. 

I once knew a jack box, a tara hymen, a and I had a friend whose brother was jack hill but Andrew Paul Butt* was the worst he went by Drew so his name was Drew P Butt. He ended up thanking his wife's last name as an adult.

*name changed slightly for animity reasons. 

17 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

I once knew a jack box, a tara hymen, a and I had a friend whose brother was jack hill but Andrew Paul Butt* was the worst he went by Drew so his name was Drew P Butt. He ended up thanking his wife's last name as an adult.

*name changed slightly for animity reasons. 

When I worked at Kemper Insurance back in the day in the policy distribution center I saw lots of interesting names..... a Mr. Chiapetta, a Ms. Gay Barr and at the doctor's office I worked prior to that we had a James Bond and Mr Frankenstein. 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:08 PM, tabitha2 said:

Southern Italian: southern variant of Volo, a variant of Bolo, which is probably a nickname derived from Greek bolos ‘clod’, ‘sod’, ‘lump’. 

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University press.

German: habitational name from a place so called in Bavaria, from Middle High German se ‘lake’ + wald ‘forest’. German: from the German personal name Siegbald, composed of the Germanic elements sigi ‘victory’ + bald ‘bold’, ‘courageous’. Jewish (Ashkenazic): ornamental name composed of German See ‘lake’ + Wald ‘forest’. 

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press

I did some digging up and the name Vuollo that I mentioned is the Sami language version of Pyhä Olavi / Olaf II of Norway (St Olaf). Interestingly, there's many variants of which Vuolo is one of them (others are Vuolli, Vuola, Vuollabba...). It's fun to learn how words written the same way (and possibly even pronounced the same) can come from such different areas.

4 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

With all of this gravy talk, no one has mentioned my favorites:

gravy fries (brown gravy)

and

Any other fans?

I love creamed chipped beef! We didn't eat it too often as a kid only every once in awhile. It was really good.

4 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

With all of this gravy talk, no one has mentioned my favorites:

gravy fries (brown gravy)

and

Any other fans?

Brown gravy is one of the things I miss eating the most while trying to be vegan. French fries, gravy and dressing. I drool thinking about it. 

I hate my last name because it is easy to pick on. I have always wanted to change it when I got married not for tradition but just to change the damn thing without causing drama with my dad and his side of the family. Unless the guys last name starts with a K - my parents did not think of my initials when picking my firsr and middle names. Then I'd probably get rid of my middle name.

I am still hoping there is a coffee influence on baby Vuolo's name.

5 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I think this is generally a great idea for any family that includes multiple cultures with multiple languages. My friend from Iceland is named Lísa - her mom is from the US and wanted something she could use in English too, so in the US she just spells it Lisa. People still have trouble with her last name - the dottir part trips people up. 

Swedish last name here. My dad's family used to chance last names every generation taking the father's name and adding son for the sons and "dotter" for the daughters until it was finally stopped three or four generations back. We have on of the easiest to Swedish last names pronounced last names its pronounced exactly how it looks but most people still can't pronounce it correctly.  The few that do I immediately ask if they are from or have roots from Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland or Finland. They usually are or married to someone with that ancestry or grew up in Minnesota or Wisconsin. 

And now we’ve stumbled into my mom’s favorite time killer - coming up with unfortunate name combinations. Her fave is the possibility that a woman with the last name Cochran could marry someone with the last name Roach/Roche, and then she would be Mrs. Cochran Roach!

i also had a middle school history teacher name Ms Butts. And a high school history teacher named Harry Johnson. 

I know someone with the last name Butts, middle name Ophelia. I know the middle name isn't said that often but Ophelia Butts sounds like "I'll feel ya butt"

I used to study Primary Teaching back in Scotland and always during placements I was basically Miss Cinnamon... and in my day-to-day life, too. It's just so far away from what my name then was, but at leaast it has some of the same letters... :roll: Funnily and naturally the kids would pretty quick pick up on the correct pronunciation, but adults gave up pretty much immediately.

My current surname people pick up quick, but I've had someone call me quiche.

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Rachel333, there was a woman in my hometown named Fanny Butts.  Naturally us kids found that hilarious!

OMG that poor woman never had a chance!!!!! Hahahaha

4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

There was an auto mechanic in the town I grew up in who was named Harry Butts. 

That's awesome!!!!!!!

There's 2 guys in my area that own a dry cleaner. Their names are Harry & Dick. And they have fun with that!! 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived