IGNORED

Jinjer 40: Still Waiting for the Baby

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, Thorns said:

I love food. Both home made comfort food made of cans, and the fancy eating for lots of money. Norwegian here, and while our cuisine have evolved the last 10-20 years or so our tradition food is...interesting. Sheeps head, anyone? (Norway being a poor and cold country for a long time, so a lot of our traditional food is based on (lean)  meat, inards, fish and root vegetables).

The "new" scandinavian cuisine/kitchen is awesome, though :) 

When I went to the States for the first time I had to try all the fast food chains that'd come up in discussion here and in litterature. IHOP, Sonic, Wendys.. Most of the time I was underwhelmed :p

I have been to Norway several times.  My family is primarily Norweigan and we have cousins in Bergen.  It's been a few years since I've been there but at our hotel they had the most wonderful breakfast buffet.  I learned to cook a few Norweigan things growing up, mostly sweets.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

There's a grocery store chain called Giant. Their employee name tags look like this:

Reveal hidden contents

5-31.jpg

There was an older man named Dick who worked at ours.

When I was a teenager I met a kid once named Richard Large. He went by Dick... Honest to goodness that was his name. His family were friends with my brother. 

5 hours ago, Nodaknorskie said:

I have been to Norway several times.  My family is primarily Norweigan and we have cousins in Bergen.  It's been a few years since I've been there but at our hotel they had the most wonderful breakfast buffet.  I learned to cook a few Norweigan things growing up, mostly sweets.

Hotel breakfast buffets is a thing :p There are competitions for having the best ones! Problem is, after you have been to one of the good ones, everything else is sort of a let down ;) (And I'm not really very fond of breakfast in the first place!)

Bergen is beautiful, esp in summer. I hope you have had the chance to see some of what my country has to offer :)

I haven’t been to Norway, but the best hotel breakfasts in my life were in Denmark. Amazing bread, cheese, cold cuts, fruits, yogurt, and the best butter I’ve ever tasted. And this was in a budget hotel! It really helped make the trip affordable since I could fill up on breakfast, have a late lunch from a cheap takeaway place, and just grab something small at 7-11 for dinner. I lucked out weather wise (1 week in August, and only 1/2 day of rain) and could eat lunch and dinner outdoors everyday. 

Did I miss the baby announcement as I am still in Montreal and meeting the man,

had the best time ever,,,,

better than bens biceps ever and we all know much I loved that picture.

highly entertained by this thread drift about funny last names, lol. Some of my favorites are - in terms of people called Butt, Texas' "local" Texas-sized grocery store chain is named by the initials of its first proprietor; in 7th grade my math teacher was called Ms. Lutz which of course 12-year-olds turned in to "sluts" jokes even though she was a perfectly proper lady and excellent teacher; and #1 most hilarious was the staff urologist at the hospital I used to worked at who's name is Dr. Pinkstaff :my_angel:

I knew a a guy whose last name was Schmuck. No joke. Jokes a plenty.

also, I recently came across a last name Dickensheets at work. I’ve had plenty 12-year-old giggles about this one every time I see it. 

1 hour ago, Oh_Dear! said:

I knew a a guy whose last name was Schmuck. No joke. Jokes a plenty.

There's a grocery chain in SW Indiana called Schmuck's 

The doctor that performed my husband's vasectomy... Dr. Richard "Dick" Chopp of Austin, Tx. 

2 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

highly entertained by this thread drift about funny last names, lol. Some of my favorites are - in terms of people called Butt, Texas' "local" Texas-sized grocery store chain is named by the initials of its first proprietor;

I love HEB!  We had a friend who worked at a camp that HEB sponsored...she called it Butt Camp...lol

On 7/3/2018 at 11:30 AM, louisa05 said:

I feel like I was raised with totally different food than Mr. 05. The notion of fried catfish and grits for breakfast is just a big no for me. 

And the irony of that is that his dumbass sister tries to be all pretentious about food and while doing that acts like I'm a moron who can't cook a frozen pizza and has never eaten anything more sophisticated than a hamburger and am, thus, holding her brother's tastes back. No, honey, just no. You grew up eating instant grits and deli fried chicken. I grew up learning to cook real food and having fresh fruits and vegetables at almost every meal. Hell, I had rye bread for my sandwich in my lunch in high school most days while they were eating Wonder Bread and Twinkies. I have elevated her brother's tastes. He won't eat canned soup anymore and his favorite dish is coq au vin. 

Am I remembering that this is the SIL who is into yoga and wanted your FIL to turn to alternative healing when he had cancer? Or am I confusing you with another?

I love traditional Norwegian food...but not lutefisk. Our relatives emigrated to Lake Michigan so there was no need for dried fish in winter. But my favorites are definitely trout from the mountains in Valdres, elk anything, and rømmegrøt, lefse, waffles with cloudberries or strawberries and sour cream, Gudbrandsdaløst, reindeer or elk homemade sausage...raktfisk, and pretty much any dessert. My relatives still make enough flatbread in fall to last the year, freeze fish, elk, reindeer to get through winter, and grow their own potatoes, etc. They pick lingon and cloudberries and freeze, make jam, or a juice concentrate, also to last the year. Their milk comes from their own cows, and only recently have they stopped making their own cheese. And...they still walk the cows up and down to and from the summer farm, they don't truck them. A really healthy lifestyle, in Rogne, Valdres. I try to get there as often as possible..was there last year...hope to go again next summer, and dance Valdresspringar on St. Hans in the Spelmannstuga again. ❤❤❤ 

14 hours ago, Mrs.Right said:

When I was a teenager I met a kid once named Richard Large. He went by Dick... Honest to goodness that was his name. His family were friends with my brother. 

I knew of a Dr. Head. And yes, his first name was Richard. Ouch. What were his parents thinking? :my_biggrin:

Our family doctor when I was a kid was called Dr. Hunka.  He was a cross between Sam Elliott, Tom Selleck and the Marlboro Man.

I can't imagine having the name Richard and choosing to use the nickname 'Dick' still.  I mean, I know men who go by Dick.  There's one at my church who isn't THAT old (he's probably around 60).  The others I know are older than that, but ... like... I don't know... if my nickname was an increasingly common synonym for a penis or asshole (the jerk kind), I think I'd switch to Rick or Rich, wouldn't you?   I always feel awkward when I say hi to the guy at church... "hey, Dick, how's it going?"  

1 hour ago, Kjaerringa said:

I love traditional Norwegian food...but not lutefisk. Our relatives emigrated to Lake Michigan so there was no need for dried fish in winter. But my favorites are definitely trout from the mountains in Valdres, elk anything, and rømmegrøt, lefse, waffles with cloudberries or strawberries and sour cream, Gudbrandsdaløst, reindeer or elk homemade sausage...raktfisk, and pretty much any dessert. My relatives still make enough flatbread in fall to last the year, freeze fish, elk, reindeer to get through winter, and grow their own potatoes, etc. They pick lingon and cloudberries and freeze, make jam, or a juice concentrate, also to last the year. Their milk comes from their own cows, and only recently have they stopped making their own cheese. And...they still walk the cows up and down to and from the summer farm, they don't truck them. A really healthy lifestyle, in Rogne, Valdres. I try to get there as often as possible..was there last year...hope to go again next summer, and dance Valdresspringar on St. Hans in the Spelmannstuga again. ❤❤❤ 

I have to ask you...are the cloudberries you speak about like these? 

Known as bakeapples in Newfoundland...and my favorite berry ever. 

bakeapple_or_cloud_berries_.jpg

3 hours ago, Lisafer said:

I knew of a Dr. Head. And yes, his first name was Richard. Ouch. What were his parents thinking? :my_biggrin:

I'll do you one further. my RE teacher at school was called Hunt, first name Richard.  

Never heard anyone over the age of 16 call him (a) Dick, but even so.

2 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I can't imagine having the name Richard and choosing to use the nickname 'Dick' still.  I mean, I know men who go by Dick.  There's one at my church who isn't THAT old (he's probably around 60).  The others I know are older than that, but ... like... I don't know... if my nickname was an increasingly common synonym for a penis or asshole (the jerk kind), I think I'd switch to Rick or Rich, wouldn't you?   I always feel awkward when I say hi to the guy at church... "hey, Dick, how's it going?"  

I have known several people named Jean or Gene over the years, and I can never greet them without internally chuckling: "hygiene!"

On the names matching people's occupations: I used to work in the field of snow science, and after a few years of attending annual conferences I became aware of the matchy-ness of Dr. Berg and Dr. Ice being in that discipline, plus a few more I can't bring to mind right now.  I started noticing these coincidences and wondering if it's a "thing".

Of course people largely have control over what they choose to pursue for their career, so it can't be 100% attributed to coincidence (because if your name is Baker that might at least get you thinking about whether you like baking, and also some people's ancestors were named Baker BECAUSE that was their occupation, and some talents or businesses do carry down through generations, either genetically (like musical talent, perhaps) or through tradition and/or being taught young by family).  But for most of us our names don't have a cause/effect relationship to our work or hobbies.  So I was totally fascinated when I noticed these occurences.

And finally my curious googling struck pay dirt -- it IS a known thing, that has its own word -- aptronyms!  Apt = inclination, nym = name!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptronym

Isn't that fun? 

10 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

My eye doctors name is Dr. Lens. 

When my mom went for carpal tunnel surgery one of the doctors was called Dr Hand. I was incredibly disappointed he didn't perform her surgery. 

7 hours ago, Griftthatkeepsongrifting said:

The doctor that performed my husband's vasectomy... Dr. Richard "Dick" Chopp of Austin, Tx. 

The doctor that did my husbands vasectomy was Dr Hugh Dick. There was a local OB named Dr. Seamen. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived