IGNORED

Jinjer 40: Still Waiting for the Baby

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, melon said:

My oldest son LOVES gravy,but it has to be brown gravy.He does not like white gravy,at all.

I didn't know gravy came in a brown version until I was an adult.  We only had white gravy growing up.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I didn't know gravy came in a brown version until I was an adult.  We only had white gravy growing up.

I have just learnt white gravy is a thing and I'm very confused... :P

On 7/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Here’s what bugs me about Father Brown. (I’ve only seen the TV adaptation, not read the books.) His town is supposedly an English village, and yet everyone is Catholic. There’s no Anglican Church or vicar. It’s like the little town that the Reformation forgot. 

In the very first episode of the BBC Father Brown, /spoiler/ the killer is the local Anglican Vicar. Seems like the sort of thing that could induce a crossing of the Tiber ;)

26 minutes ago, wendy-sparkles said:

In the very first episode of the BBC Father Brown, /spoiler/ the killer is the local Anglican Vicar. Seems like the sort of thing that could induce a crossing of the Tiber ;)

LOL! So the church didn’t replace him? I thought that the books might have had a vicar, and the TV shows just assumed that people would find it too confusing to have two churches in one town.

Biscuits and brown gravy seems wrong to me! I've really only seen it with white/sausage gravy.

I'm not big on breakfast foods but biscuits and gravy are an exception.

White gravy looks like glue paste to me. 

We only have brown gravy here in Saskatchewan, so when I was visiting in the states and asked for gravy for my fries, I couldn’t understand why the waitress thought that was so weird... until she plopped a bowl of congealed white sludge in front of me. 

1 minute ago, viii said:

White gravy looks like glue paste to me. 

We only have brown gravy here in Saskatchewan, so when I was visiting in the states and asked for gravy for my fries, I couldn’t understand why the waitress thought that was so weird... until she plopped a bowl of congealed white sludge in front of me. 

Manitoban here, same opinion of white gravy. 

My husband also got a really weird look when he tried to order a Smarties McFlurry at McDonalds. 

Biscuits and gravy are definitely a comfort food for me. It makes me think of eating breakfast at my grandparents' house out in the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma. My grandmother normally did most of the cooking but for whatever reason biscuits and gravy were my grandfather's thing. He would fry up a pan for us and even make a special pan of white gravy without sausage for me. If my dog was with us my grandfather would also spoil her horribly and sneak her bits of sausage.

Perkins holds a special place in my heart because my grandma worked there for like 20+ years. They even held a huge memorial service for her when she passed. 

Oh and I saw somebody mention catfish? Yeeah no catfish or tilapia here, bottom feeders who scrounge poop aren't gonna be on my plate!

I'm officially on baby watch after having a dream last night that they did indeed call their baby girl Ava Grace :pb_lol: So curious to find out the actual name now!

13 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

So I guess if we ever move down under Miniway will have the weird name. But it at least says something about where he came from.  

There are plenty of names coming from lots of different countries in Australia so they won't be an odd one out.  If people can't pronounce it then Miniway will just need to be prepared to use a shortened version/nickname (Some people have difficulties in pronouncing my name so if people sounds like they have difficulties I use a shortened version which so far no ones had problems with, also a lot of people from China here have Chinese name and an Anglicised name).

9 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

@ShadowCatDon't pass up Chicken Fried Steak and Chicken and dumplins while in Oklahoma. 

Chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel are good, but need more pepper. Also, @ShadowCat - the South's dumplings are FLAT, not round/puffy balls. Like rolled out pie crust, cut into squares or rectangles. :)

17 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel are good, but need more pepper. Also, @ShadowCat - the South's dumplings are FLAT, not round/puffy balls. Like rolled out pie crust, cut into squares or rectangles. :)

The first time I ever saw a picture of the flat style dumplings while looking on Pinterest for a recipe I was confused and kind of grossed out. I’m sure done right they’re awesome but they definitely don’t photograph well. 

Growing up my grandma would always throw dumplings (the fluffy ball kind) into beef stew and it was my favourite. 

4 hours ago, DillyDally said:

I'm officially on baby watch after having a dream last night that they did indeed call their baby girl Ava Grace :pb_lol: So curious to find out the actual name now!

I’d say it’s still too soon, but my sister had her son yesterday and he wasn’t due until a couple days before Baby Vuolo. So maybe it’s about time to declare the JinJer Baby Watch officially open. :pb_lol:

15 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I say it’s still too soon, but my sister had her son yesterday and he wasn’t due until a couple days before Baby Vuolo. 

:occasion-partyblower: Congratulations, Auntie VelociRapture! :occasion-partyblower:  (VelociAuntie? Whatever. :my_biggrin: )

11 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

:occasion-partyblower: Congratulations, Auntie VelociRapture! :occasion-partyblower:  (VelociAuntie? Whatever. :my_biggrin: )

Thanks! I’m pretty biased, but based off the photos I’m pretty sure he’s one of the three cutest kids ever born! :pb_lol:

@SapphireSlytherin My MIL made the absolute best chicken and dumplins (she was born, raised and died in OK). We have a Cracker Barrel here and we will occasionally go there for the chicken and dumplins. Mr. Butt says they are close to his mom's but will never be as good as hers. Somehow that doesn't keep him from eating a crap ton of them...lol. I usually get Chicken Fried Chicken with dumplins on the side. Hmmmmm maybe lunch today.

14 hours ago, Nargus said:

Manitoban here, same opinion of white gravy. 

My husband also got a really weird look when he tried to order a Smarties McFlurry at McDonalds. 

My mom tried to order a smartie blizzard in North Dakota and also got weird looks lol 

@SapphireSlytherin, some Southern dumplings may be flat, but my South Carolina born and raised mom's were round and fluffy.  I think that she just put biscuit dough on top of stewed chicken and considering that she often made this when she got home from work, she used her pressure cooker to stew the chicken and the biscuits were probably good ol' whomp biscuits.  Whatever, it was good!

White gravy is also called cream gravy and is basically a white sauce made with chicken (or sausage) drippings.  You make it after you've made the fried chicken (or sausage) and the liquid is milk or maybe cream, if you want to be fancy.  I liked the chicken kind better than the sausage kind.  However, I just like my biscuits best  hot and with lots of butter.  (I'm getting hungry from all this talk of food!)

@Chickenbutt I love Chicken fried steak and am now intrigued by these dumplings since @SapphireSlytherin said they are flat! The mind boggles.

I need a seriously long convo with my relatives in OK, to discuss the flatness of said dumplings as opposed to the round fluffiness of the ones I make with beef stew.

lol....in Oklahoma they are flat and cut into strips. Much, much thicker than noodles. And fluffier.

Dumplins in my world have always been dense but ball shaped lol... I guess it just depends where your from

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived