IGNORED

Jinjer 40: Still Waiting for the Baby

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Perkins holds a special place in my heart because my grandma worked there for like 20+ years. They even held a huge memorial service for her when she passed. 

Oh and I saw somebody mention catfish? Yeeah no catfish or tilapia here, bottom feeders who scrounge poop aren't gonna be on my plate!

Oh wow, I spent A LOT of time in Perkinses and Village Inns as a teenager, drinking coffee, eating pie, and, I'm sure, being a huge annoying nuisance. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious thing I learned today, there's a Finnish surname Vuollo that is to my understanding heavily coined to a strong Christian family line (Lutheran Laestadians). It's pronounced pretty much the same as Vuolo. Idk what it actually means, but I just found it a bit of an interesting trivia being a total sucker for Duggar shit. Anything remotely close I'm like I AM FED BY THE DUGGAR LORDS

... ahem. Anyways. I found myself thinking "If I marry a non-Finn, Jinger *would be a nice name* ... wait, fuck, no, GINGER WITH A G"

Southern Italian: southern variant of Volo, a variant of Bolo, which is probably a nickname derived from Greek bolos ‘clod’, ‘sod’, ‘lump’. 

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University press.

German: habitational name from a place so called in Bavaria, from Middle High German se ‘lake’ + wald ‘forest’. German: from the German personal name Siegbald, composed of the Germanic elements sigi ‘victory’ + bald ‘bold’, ‘courageous’. Jewish (Ashkenazic): ornamental name composed of German See ‘lake’ + Wald ‘forest’. 

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press

OK - gonna go out on a canned limb here. My favorite (prior to the no-gluten-for-SapphireSlytherin-thing) is Sweet Sue chicken and dumplin's. Our family simply referred to it as "chicky dump."

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sweet-Sue-Chicken-And-Dumplings-24oz-Can/13908307 

And I'm probably going to steal "clod" at some point for Jeremy. lol

I shit you not The same source states Dillard is probably a variant of Dollard... A dull, stupid person. 

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

I shit you not The same source states Dillard is probably a variant of Dollard... A dull, stupid person. 

Well, Derick is living up to it.

51 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Well, Derick is living up down to it.

FTFY.

12 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

There are plenty of names coming from lots of different countries in Australia so they won't be an odd one out.  If people can't pronounce it then Miniway will just need to be prepared to use a shortened version/nickname (Some people have difficulties in pronouncing my name so if people sounds like they have difficulties I use a shortened version which so far no ones had problems with, also a lot of people from China here have Chinese name and an Anglicised name).

The inlaws have no problems at all pronouncing it so I don’t think that will be a problem. Having been to Australia I am always prepared for all names to be shortened or changed in to a nickname. :my_biggrin:

Despite Miniways name being quite long (7 letters) it really doesn’t have any natural shortenings and the family uses a nickname that’s even longer. 

3 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Despite Miniways name being quite long (7 letters) it really doesn’t have any natural shortenings and the family uses a nickname that’s even longer. 

Only 7? My first name is 8, my middle name is 9 and my maiden name was 11. My fucking name was longer than the 18 inch long preemie it was given to. 

37 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Only 7? My first name is 8, my middle name is 9 and my maiden name was 11. My fucking name was longer than the 18 inch long preemie it was given to. 

My full first name is 8 letters, middle name 4 and maiden name 8 letters, for a grand total of 20.  When I got married, I hyphenated my last name, tacking another 8 letters onto my name, making it a whopping 28 letters.

Your comment has me counting the letters in my kids’ names now.  #1 is 6 + 7 + 8= 21 and #2 is 5 + 6 + 8= 19.

If I were to put my whole name together (the one given at my baptism), add 2 more names for 11 more letters. Thank God my father filled out my birth certificate. I think the total becomes 40 letters and 5 names. The first, middle & last was bad enough. 

9 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

The inlaws have no problems at all pronouncing it so I don’t think that will be a problem. Having been to Australia I am always prepared for all names to be shortened or changed in to a nickname. :my_biggrin:

My first name has 8 letters.  It isn't the people who grew up speaking English that have problems with my name.  My name has a couple of v's in it which some people can't pronounce properly as it isn't in their native language (or the way they are combined is problematic).

7 hours ago, feministxtian said:

My daughter was 19 inches and has a full name that’s 21 letters long. Thankfully, her first name is only four letters, so it hopefully won’t be a pain for her to learn to spell her first and last names. Lol!

We haven’t decided for sure on first names for a second child, but we know the middle names already (both are family names.) Combined with our last name and the current front runners for the first, our possible son could have 22 letters (with an easy 3 letter nickname) and a daughter could have 20 letters (with a 5 letter nickname.)

On 7/5/2018 at 2:18 PM, VelociRapture said:

I’d say it’s still too soon, but my sister had her son yesterday and he wasn’t due until a couple days before Baby Vuolo. So maybe it’s about time to declare the JinJer Baby Watch officially open. :pb_lol:

Congratulations!!!!

Also I wanted to thank all those who kindly replied to my questions. I think I grasp the whole thing a bit better now.

Personally I think that if the Vuolos want to celebrate the Italian roots of their family there would nothing presumptuous in their wish. I just hope they do it in a sensible way, meaning not with vaguely Italian sounding made up names. But even if they call the baby one such name so be it, it still wouldn't be out of place in an Italian-American family. Just my 2 cents.

ETA I'd also suggest a name that can work well with both languages, even if maybe with a minimal spelling difference, such as Laura, Anna, Luisa, Sofia, Adele, Diana, Agnese, Maria, Elisa etc.

7 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I'd also suggest a name that can work well with both languages even if maybe with a minimal spelling difference, such as Laura, Anna, Luisa, Sofia, Adele, Diana, Agnese, Maria, Elisa etc.

That's what happens in my little corner of the world. The top 4 languages are English, Spanish, Portuguese,  and Chinese (school district maintains up to 72 languages spoken) and many parents choose names that sound pretty close to the same in both languages such as Julia (uh-oh J theme alert).

20 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

This dish was my father's specialty when I was a child but was confusingly called "Chicken Pot Pie".  So imagine my confusion when I went to a restaurant with a friend and he ordered chicken pot pie, and a meat pie came out!  My mind was blown.  

1 hour ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

ETA I'd also suggest a name that can work well with both languages, even if maybe with a minimal spelling difference, such as Laura, Anna, Luisa, Sofia, Adele, Diana, Agnese, Maria, Elisa etc.

I think this is generally a great idea for any family that includes multiple cultures with multiple languages. My friend from Iceland is named Lísa - her mom is from the US and wanted something she could use in English too, so in the US she just spells it Lisa. People still have trouble with her last name - the dottir part trips people up. 

26 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I think this is generally a great idea for any family that includes multiple cultures with multiple languages. My friend from Iceland is named Lísa - her mom is from the US and wanted something she could use in English too, so in the US she just spells it Lisa. People still have trouble with her last name - the dottir part trips people up. 

One of the reasons I like my daughter’s first name so much is because it’s a common name in many different cultures and languages. I love the idea of her being able to travel and not have too difficult a time having people pronounce her name. We haven’t settled on first names for a future child yet, but I’m hoping we can pick names that work well in a few different languages again. 

@laPapessaGiovanna Thank you! He and my sister come home today, so we’ll be able to meet the little cuddlebug in a couple of weeks. :) 

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

This dish was my father's specialty when I was a child but was confusingly called "Chicken Pot Pie".  So imagine my confusion when I went to a restaurant with a friend and he ordered chicken pot pie, and a meat pie came out!  My mind was blown.  

Where I come from the chicken and dumplings style dish is called Slippery Pot Pie and the one with the actually pie crust is just called Chicken Pot Pie.  

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

The Amish chicken pot pie has noodles and is more of a stew than a pastry. 

20 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I've long thought "Dillard" is one of the worst last names to be stuck with (even before Derick started showing his ass.)

Sounds like "dill weed," "dollard," and "dildo" all mixed together.

Maybe Derick's such a douche because he just got teased mercilessly through school for his name. 

With all of this gravy talk, no one has mentioned my favorites:

gravy fries (brown gravy)

and

creamed chipped beef (white gravy)

Any other fans?

8 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

gravy fries (brown gravy)

My favourite food is Swabian noddles (Spätzle) with brown gravy and fries. Spätzle and dark gravy is a typical children food in our area here. Like Mac 'n' Cheese in the US. 

We Swabians love our gravy. We even eat Schnitzel with gravy. Other parts of Germany and especially Austria loose their mind when we do that. Schnitzel, gravy and Spätzle.

34 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

creamed chipped beef (white gravy)

Any other fans?

Huge fan of creamed chipped beef.  Huge.  It's ridiculously easy to make at home, but I rarely bother with it.  There are a couple of breakfast places near me who make it well, so I get it there.  Over toast, with an over-medium egg or two on top.  Yum!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived