IGNORED

Mrs. Jill Duggar-Dillard (Derick) 61: Now Showing Shoulders

Georgiana

well according to Pickles Derick is going to law school and I say again WTF.

Well, we've had some fun with speculation today. It was all good fun speculation not the irresponsible kind where people try to start and spread rumors based on nothing. I hope the speculation wasn't too fun and out of this world that what I report here doesn't end up sounding totally lame. One person guessed right. Congratulations to Em. I don't know how you got it. 

As Em guessed, yes Derick will be attending The School of Law at the University of Arkansas this fall. Derick is giving up missioning, whatever he did at Cross Church, and God, to attend a secular law school. The cost of law school is $16,000 a year which I assume either Jim Bob is paying for or he's got some conservative evangelical group paying his way in hopes that if Derick actually becomes a lawyer he will be forced to work for their causes such as overturning all equal rights laws that greatly benefit deserving human beings. Causes that make selfish evangelicals cry. 

Can Derick make it through the rigors of law school? The idiot couldn't learn Spanish after one-on-one tutoring and living in a Spanish country! He can't follow simple rules when it comes to posting copyright images or running a fundraiser page. Derick lives in a bubble of false news and facts which will be put to the test when secular law professors get their hands on him. My bet is that he lasts almost a year and then suddenly gets another calling from God. Next year he'll be working as a clerk at Walmart. 

What do you think?

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said in the Pickles thread, this was basically confirmed and discussed at length here and on Tumblr (and possibly other places) some time ago.

I can't imagine he's going to real people law school and not some kind of fundie bible law school.  Mightn't he actually . . . learn something there?

He isn't cut out for law school. I don't think he could do it, it's harder than he thinks it will be.

Will he grift for money for the tuition? I would not put it past him.

My condolences to anyone who has the misfortune of being in class with Derick when he decides to put his  “talent” for arguing to use

I don't pay super close attention but I don't remember it being confirmed, I just remember people noticing that he followed LSAT prep accounts. There's a big difference between thinking about law school and actually following through with it. If he actually becomes a lawyer then that's could be good, much better than grifting for missionary trips.

I would have had felt my stomach go in knots if I heard Derrick is actually going to go through his plan and go to law school in under any circumstance, but especially as a trans/queer person I find myself actually really terrified of him going and becoming a layer because I bet if he does end up graduating and gasp... find an actual job I would bet he would try and attack any LGBT protective laws we still have./ will try to have. 

27 minutes ago, Joyfully_Unavailable said:

My condolences to anyone who has the misfortune of being in class with Derick when he decides to put his  “talent” for arguing to use

I can just see this. We had some people in my section in law school that just thought they were so much more clever than the rest of us. We also had a fundie who made some veeeery awkward and uncomfortable comments in constitutional law. The worst part is (at least if his school is set up like mine was) that you're in classes your first year with all of the same people, so they won't even be able to get away from him! I can't even imagine Derick in constitutional law. I feel like I should send his classmates some sort of condolence gift. 

I'm a lawyer and law school is a really heathen place -- you learn to question things! And try to figure out multiple sides to an argument! Including discussing perspectives on why cases like Roe v. Wade might actually be supported by the Constitution! And when you argue against certain positions, you can't use "because the Bible said so!" as a reason!

ETA: This is not to say that he might actually change his mind on his politics because of law school (there are obviously lots of conservative politicians who went to good law schools who don't agree with things like Roe v. Wade).  But if, as a broad example, he takes a Constitutional Law exam and is asked to take a position in support of something like Roe v. Wade, he would actually have to do that and not just quote a bunch of scripture about how it is wrong.  Derick just doesn't strike me as the type of guy who is willing to consider the other side of an argument. 

I'm an attorney and I just gotta say LOL at Derrick going to law school... Legal jobs are largely difficult, demanding, and time consuming. Derrick seems to be work-averse. This will not be a good combination.

5 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I'm an attorney and I just gotta say LOL at Derrick going to law school... Legal jobs are largely difficult, demanding, and time consuming. Derrick seems to be work-averse. This will not be a good combination.

Even if he did make it through, which with his personality and household baggage is so unlikely, he'd very never actually or successfully practice law-

These people don't work for others, what the heck is DD doing to do when he's expected to work 70-80 hours a week for peanuts?

I said on the other thread, I'm sure he'll quit. Probably after a year. He has no follow through. 

I am surprised he passed the LSAT, though. 

2 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I said on the other thread, I'm sure he'll quit. Probably after a year. He has no follow through. 

I am surprised he passed the LSAT, though. 

I think Derick is very book smart. (Or at least can be when he wants) he's just stupid in every other way. 

1 minute ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I think Derick is very book smart. (Or at least can be when he wants) he's just stupid in every other way. 

The LSAT is all about logical reasoning and reading comprehension, things he doesn't seem good at.

Although, I suppose twisting facts and out of context references into knots to fit an argument is a sort of reasoning...

I would also point out that law school isn't just difficult and demanding on the student. It is difficult and demanding on the partners of the student as well. It was bandied about my 1L year how something insane like 75% of married law school students will be divorced before they graduate. I think that was a gross exaggeration based on my experience, but there were definitely an appreciable number of partnered students who were either not partnered or partnered with someone else by the time we graduated. It's not just Derick who needs the determination and strength to get through it... Jill does too.

I read an article the other day that said success in the business world (and in college) is simply tied to being able to test well.

Clearly, Derick can take a test and pass it - even without the ability to function as someone who contributes good things to society. That's why we have imbeciles in charge of giant corporations... and countries.

Sorry if this has been brought up- I didn't notice in the recent comments but I missed the discussion back when this was first brought up: Do we know if anyone in their circle is a lawyer? People in their community seem to want to "support" each other and might hire him... or at the very least, mentor him. They could think the PR from hiring a Duggar-affiliate would be nice. I know we would all disagree, but I'm not sure those in his circle see anything wrong with the vile things he posts and might see someone who shares their values as an asset worth supporting. 

I agree with those who think he won't finish law school, but if there is someone in their circle who he can look to for support, advice, and potentially a job, that would unfortunately provide the type of support system that would make finishing more likely. 

Lawyer here: good fucking luck. The Socratic method is a beast for anyone who gets so pissy like Dwreck. Get ready to be challenged and torn to shreds - I'd pay to see that. And sorry, they're not gonna teach the laws of God.On the other hand; I'd be mildly amused if this ate away at smuggar .

Spoiler

FF62E427-F716-4771-9DFC-3EB29DBC750B.gif.dd573f3805addd42c883c355fa8f5b9e.gif

Why do I feel like this is going to be Derick any time someone says something he doesn’t agree with? Particularly if they’re female ooh boy

1 minute ago, Joyfully_Unavailable said:
  Hide contents

FF62E427-F716-4771-9DFC-3EB29DBC750B.gif.dd573f3805addd42c883c355fa8f5b9e.gif

Why do I feel like this is going to be Derick any time someone says something he doesn’t agree with? Particularly if they’re female ooh boy

Well, they both "do" twitter so well...

1 hour ago, Sky with diamonds said:

He isn't cut out for law school. I don't think he could do it, it's harder than he thinks it will be.

Will he grift for money for the tuition? I would not put it past him.

Yea he will try and grift it and not tell diners how the money will be used unless the pay up front first. I’m wondering what he will do with the money he does raise when his law school attempt fizzles. Just pocket it I suppose just as he did with the money he grifted for Scary America 

@Ms. Brightside one person I can think of who is in the Duggars' sphere who is in law school is a girl named Krista, she's friends with some of the Duggar girls. I've seen posts where she helped with prep for Joy's wedding and attended some sort of party of Jessa's (baby's birthday party or a baby shower maybe). She goes to law school in NY and is really interesting to me because she is kinda what I'd call "fundie woke." Like she's more open minded than we typically see from this crowd and holds some surprisingly progressive views.

That being said I went to law school with someone kind of like Derrick (big Roy Moore advocate, that should give you an idea of what this guy was like, and kind of a religious nut). Law school didn't seem to crush the idiocy out of him.... There are some people no one can talk sense into.

I think law school will be tough for Derrick but not impossible. He'll probably find some like minded people there (there's always a few).  If he survives the first year without quitting I think he'll see it through. Now, as for what kind of job he'd end up with... He probably wants some nonsense in DC with some horrible group like Joshley, only in an attorney capacity. But will Jill want to relocate? If he has to stay in small town Arkansas it will be difficult for him to find a job. Maybe this is just a setup for a segue into Arkansas state politics though.

Derick is becoming a lawyer.  Seriously. I am so shocked yet not. 

2 hours ago, Joyfully_Unavailable said:

can you imagine the people who discover who really is if truly goes to a normal school. 

This should be so entertaining....

Let us pray for the professors, fellow students, partners, and whomever else will have the misfortune of being around OfJill during this difficult time.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Let us pray for the professors, fellow students, partners, and whomever else will have the misfortune of being around OfJill during this difficult time.

again this will be so entertaining especially if his fellow students figure out who he is and go to the press 

and yes the dickweed must be so upset by this 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived