IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

On 7/15/2018 at 5:58 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm not so sure they aren't.  Most extremist Christians are, the gubmint can't tell them what to do.   While I'm sure Josie was vaccinated that is only because she was in the NICU for so long as a micro premi the hospital & dr's woudl have insisted on it. Maybe the duggars did vaxx after Josie's birth because her immune system was so delicate, they had to be vaccinated to keep her from being sick. And world travel requires you to have certain vaccinations, I don't know if you can get out of it for, religious reasons, I think only medical ones, since you can't force someone who might die from the vaccine to get it, because that defeats the purpose of vaccinations, which is to SAVE lives not take them. 

To my knowledge, the Duggars have never said (or done) anything publicly to indicate that they are anti-vaccine.  Some people took the chicken pox episode (where the 12 youngest besides Josie came down with chicken pox one after another) to assume that they were anti-vaccine, but at the time that was filmed it was relatively common for parents to choose to skip that particular vaccine.  In 2010 it was considered optional.  

According to several sources, Josie's release from the NICU was delayed because of the chicken pox outbreak.  Babies in NICU are more likely to be shielded against infection and tend to have slightly delayed vaccinations.  As a general rule, doctors do not advise vaccines for someone who is actively ill and fighting for their life.  Neonatologists do advise (and administer) the first set of vaccines when the baby is released along with a schedule of catch up vaccinations.  The chicken pox vaccine is typically not administered in the first round.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, JillyO said:

WAIT A MINUTE. Dutch and Flemish use different words?! You just blew my mind! :pufff:

When I was fifteen ,I went on a trip with relatives..American relatives.First stop,Amsterdam.I loved it.My uncle did ask..he says '' Melon,you know some German.Dutch is  a lot like German.Do you think you could read it or speak it?" No.Some of the words did look similar but it's not the same.

He had a German/English book with common phrases.My uncle and aunt thought it was hysterical that for "The car is in the ditch" in English it was "The car lies in the ditch".

10 hours ago, freejoy said:

It was really hard for me to watch Joy work without any glasses, gloves and proper shoes.

But...but...wasn't she clothed in Jesus and standing under Austin's Umbrella of Protection?  What could possibly happen?

I'm currently pregnant with my first, and it will be the first grandchild on my husband's side.  His siblings already have grandma & grandpa names picked out for their parents.  I told them their names would probably end up being what the kid could say :pb_lol:

Mom, dad, Poppy and Nanny. I tried to call my mom 'mudder' but she didn't like it being used outside of Newfoundland. 

My mom insists on Xena. . . 

My dad is insistent on Bumpa because thats how my nieces mispronounced grandpa.  My LO can say grandpa, so thats getting interesting.  

My father-in-law, after looking at every possible nickname, insists on "the Dude" or "grandpa Dude". We thought it was weird at first but in the end it's perfect.

His wife is more "normal" and goes by Mimi.

3 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Speaking of stereotyping. . . MOST extremist Christians are [anti-vaxx]? News to me and I've been around them for 40+ years. In fact, the first person I met who even delayed vaccines wasn't fundie (female doctor who married her husband after their son's birth).

I was speaking from the fundamentalists I know, and they were/are anti Vax at leas the ones around the Midwest in the late 90's to the late 2000's. They were everywhere, It was the height of the vaccines cause Autism scare so maybe that had something to do with it, but everyone in our church circles were anti Vax, and a few of my super liberal earthy crunchy Google MD type friends and they all still are, despite evidence to the contrary.

I was just watching the episode where Joy and Austin were talking about putting the house on the market after the birth and wow Austin is a jack ass he wants Joy to pack up and move two months after the baby is born. Clearly Joy does not agree but to Austin that doesn't matter who cares about your post parturm wife and newborn after all. 

It hasn't been my experience that all or even most fundies are anti-vaccination, though it is certainly very common among them.

I really don't think the Duggars are anti-vaccination. Jim Bob and Michelle seem to have always been pro-medical care.

4 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I was just watching the episode where Joy and Austin were talking about putting the house on the market after the birth and wow Austin is a jack ass he wants Joy to pack up and move two months after the baby is born. Clearly Joy does not agree but to Austin that doesn't matter who cares about your post parturm wife and newborn after all. 

Really? Two weeks or two days would ridiculous but Two months is reasonable.Joy is a young healthy woman with more than enough free childcare if she needs it.  

My S.O. almost died because of a disease that is now preventable; he's also permanently disabled because of said disease. Neither of us don't entertain any anti-vaxx bs. Modern advances in medicine (and in general) have made people forget just how dangerous life can be, imo.

5 hours ago, freethemall said:

My father-in-law, after looking at every possible nickname, insists on "the Dude" or "grandpa Dude". We thought it was weird at first but in the end it's perfect.

His wife is more "normal" and goes by Mimi.

I want to be a Mimi or a Gigi but my girls have said they don't like it. Guess I'll just be Grandma. Or Nan.

48 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I want to be a Mimi or a Gigi but my girls have said they don't like it. Guess I'll just be Grandma. Or Nan.

My friends grandmother goes by the name of G-Ma.

She became a grandparent quite young and didn't want to feel old, so she decided she was being called the coolest nickname she could think of.

I really don't think it's anyone's business what the Duggars inject or decline to inject into their bodies. But I would never blame anyone for refusing a medical procedure that is known to possibly cause death and serious injury. (That's why, for vaccines, we have VAERS which the HHS says is under-reported, and the NVICP for compensation of injuries.) There may also be medical reasons to decline, such as a family history that contraindicates vaccines for the entire family (for example, autoimmune diseases). There are also plenty of people who have a select/delay stance. Countries, too. In the UK, chicken pox is still seen as a rite of passage and they do not vaccinate for it unless privately paid for. In Japan, they separate the MMR into M and MR. China just very recently had a safety concern with their vaccines, so I imagine that many parents there are declining them right now.

That said, anyone who was totally against vaccination for their kids wouldn't have given them to preemie-born Josie at all (which, I don't remember if they did or not).  What's more, however, is that a recently vaccinated child/person wouldn't have even been able to visit her in the NICU. So even someone who wanted all of their kids UTD would have had to delay shots if they had a preemie.

Of course, opinions can change at a moment's notice. Also, I think it's worth noting that the Duggar kids may have different medical views than their parents, whatever they are. We've seen that more with the fact that 4 sisters and 1 in-law have primarily used midwives for the delivery of their babies, but Michelle only had 2 homebirths by choice in the entirety of her childbearing years, and used an OB/GYN for the other 15 pregnancies/17 kids (and depending on the laws then, an OB may have even been allowed to deliver those homebirths). I do think she aimed for natural births whenever possible, though. So that may be an influence on why the girls have opted for the midwife route. But I don't know. I don't think anyone has given a reason why they prefer midwifery care, but that's their right, too. Even if I disagree with some of the choices they've made. I haven't really been watching the show in years though so I could be missing a lot of info here.

Also, I don't think Joy was unreasonable for not wanting to move 2 months after her baby was born. At that point, breastfeeding may still be being established, and the mother may still be experiencing postpartum bleeding. I wouldn't blame a new mom for not wanting to pack up and move around that time! 

Grandma names - My mom started going by Gigi to the grandkids 11 or 12 years ago. I think it's cute! She said it is Italian for grandma? At first it was unusual, but I swear I hear it everywhere now, though. My dad goes by Poppy to his grandkids. Growing up, I called my grandparents MawMaw and PawPaw, and MeMaw and PaPaw.

9 hours ago, Born Skeptic said:

To my knowledge, the Duggars have never said (or done) anything publicly to indicate that they are anti-vaccine.  Some people took the chicken pox episode (where the 12 youngest besides Josie came down with chicken pox one after another) to assume that they were anti-vaccine, but at the time that was filmed it was relatively common for parents to choose to skip that particular vaccine.  In 2010 it was considered optional.  

Yeah, when I was a baby/young child there was no chicken pox vaccine yet, so I caught it when I was 6 (along with a double ear infection at the same time, making for the most miserable three weeks of my young life - and all during Christmas, of course). The vaccine came out by the time my sister was born, so she was vaccinated against it (and a good thing she was, based on how old she was (about 2) when I got chicken pox). As far as I know it wasn't terribly common to vaccinate against chicken pox until after my childhood, though pox parties were going out of fashion around the time I got it. 

I haven’t seen the episode but with everyone saying Joy was not happy about moving 2 month post partum I have a thought. Perhaps she wasn’t too keen on the idea considering she would have had a c-section and would have been told by the doctor no heavy lifting etc for 6wks post partum; thus leaving her only 2wks to really pack up and help with the move? 

30 minutes ago, Peaches1981 said:

I haven’t seen the episode but with everyone saying Joy was not happy about moving 2 month post partum I have a thought. Perhaps she wasn’t too keen on the idea considering she would have had a c-section and would have been told by the doctor no heavy lifting etc for 6wks post partum; thus leaving her only 2wks to really pack up and help with the move? 

this was before she had the c-section when she was still planning for the natural home birth. after the home birth I'm sure she was even more against the plan. Austin shouldn't have even been pushing it no matter what. it's not like they were hurting for money  his wife told him what she needed and he disregarded her. 

I hope Austin changed his view because of the c-section.

If Joy would have had an easy delivery she would probably be fine after two months, especially considering how young she is. So I can imagine that Austin was hoping that could work. Unless he still went through with it after the c-section I don’t think it is necessarily a douchbag thing to say.

14 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

My mom tried to go by glamma. Just...no. 

I'm going to throw all my energy from this day forth into ensuring that my mother never, EVER hears of this word.

13 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I was just watching the episode where Joy and Austin were talking about putting the house on the market after the birth and wow Austin is a jack ass he wants Joy to pack up and move two months after the baby is born. 

I packed a third floor unit and moved interstate two months after an emergency c section and did just fine. She will be fine too im sure, Joy has always come over fairly tough.

6 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I hope Austin changed his view because of the c-section.

If Joy would have had an easy delivery she would probably be fine after two months, especially considering how young she is. So I can imagine that Austin was hoping that could work. Unless he still went through with it after the c-section I don’t think it is necessarily a douchbag thing to say.

Seeing as they didn't move for 4 months after Gideon was born Joy got her way, so I'm not sure why people are jumping Austin for saying 2 months and Joy saying 3 or 4. For what ever reason he changed his mind, I'm sure her giving birth and him seeing what life with a newborn 24/7 was an eye opener.  Once you have your own child your perception on the world changes, you can know 100 people with kids but you won't know what life is like with your baby until you have it, because every baby is different and every mom & dad are different. And in their circles I'm sure Austin only saw the "keep sweet" side of new parenthood where everyone puts on their best face and says "its amazing" even though mom may be under the kitchen table crying her eyes out (I found my best friend under her kitchen table crying her eyes out about 3 weeks after her 3rd baby was born) from sleep deprivation and raging hormones.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived