IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

So, I'm 10 weeks pregnant now.. due to give birth in March. We are leaving this town in June/July dependent upon when my husband gets terminal leave. 

We have a house to sell and now I'm overwhelmed by giving birth to my first baby and then getting the house up on the market. But we aren't renovating our house... for us getting things ready it will be stuff like painting a room, maybe getting our hardwood floors redone, a deep clean (which i will probably pay someone to do), etc. 

But I think we will have our house mostly ready to sell by the time baby comes. So its more upkeep instead of work after baby. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

So, I'm 10 weeks pregnant now.. due to give birth in March. We are leaving this town in June/July dependent upon when my husband gets terminal leave. 

We have a house to sell and now I'm overwhelmed by giving birth to my first baby and then getting the house up on the market. But we aren't renovating our house... for us getting things ready it will be stuff like painting a room, maybe getting our hardwood floors redone, a deep clean (which i will probably pay someone to do), etc. 

But I think we will have our house mostly ready to sell by the time baby comes. So its more upkeep instead of work after baby. 

We sold a home and moved with a newborn (2 months old) and a 3 year old. It was fine. I was on maternity leave.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:41 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

My gosh - how awful for them. :(

It really screwed them both up. My BIL ran away after their mom died, and was on the streets for a while. When exh and I started dating in high school, his dad was already in his mid 60s, and essentially bed ridden, so at 16, his son was taking care of him, running the house, etc. It was a sucky situation.

On 8/9/2018 at 12:10 PM, JillyO said:
WAIT A MINUTE. Dutch and Flemish use different words?! You just blew my mind! :pufff:

My paternal grandparents are Dutch, maternal grandparents are Belgian (Flemish). My dad grew up calling his parents Ma and Pa, and the grandkids call them Oma and Opa. My mother called her parents Moe (pronounced Moo) and Va, short for moeder and vader, which literally translate to mother and father (Darth Vader anyone?!). We call her parents Moemoe (pronounced moomoo) and Vava. :D

11 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

You'll be fine! Yes, it can be overwhelming for sure but you will get through it. Use whatever support system you have as much as you can. 

I moved from New Mexico to Italy at 32 weeks pregnant, had our household good delivered and unpacked when she was 3 days old (with family coming to town the next week!) then from one apartment in Italy to government housing when our baby was 5 months and then back to the states at 26 weeks pregnant with a 18 month old, had our household goods delivered at around 34 weeks that time so I was able to get everything mostly settled before the baby came. Then we moved again a year later.  I am not going to lie, parts of it sucked. But friends helped a lot! And we had movers so they did most of the packing and i just had to organize and weed through stuff. One nice thing is your baby wont really be mobile and into stuff yet. That helps some too. 

this is a webisode TLC released of JOy's pregnancy this was at 21 weeks Jana is trying to find the babies heart beat along with some of the littles. questions for those that have babies is it normal to have only heard the heart beat once by 21 weeks? 

also I guess Joy is smart enough to say that if they were still in the RV at birth she would not be delivering there. 

27 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

his is a webisode TLC released of JOy's pregnancy this was at 21 weeks Jana is trying to find the babies heart beat along with some of the littles. questions for those that have babies is it normal to have only heard the heart beat once by 21 weeks? 

I'm 10 weeks pregnant with my first and have already heard the heartbeat twice. However, I had uterine surgery before I got pregnant so I had earlier ultrasounds to make sure everything was okay. It seems like there's a wide range of prenatal care and if you're young with no known issues, some doctors and midwives wait a while for ultrasounds. Even so, Joy's situation seems late to me (but my experience is limited).

I had 2 babies 18+ years ago but with both of them I had only heard the heart beat 2 times but 21 weeks, but 3 times at 22 weeks. So she's a little behind, but going to a midwife vs an OB and her being 20 ( I as 27 &29 when my kids were born) and I was only allowed 1 u/s with my 1st pregnancy and they used it up at 9 weeks confirming my due date and I didn't get one at all with my 2nd unless I wanted to pay for it, no need, as I was a young healthy woman. 

You can hear the heartbeat without an ultrasound. I think they use a Doppler? I heard the heartbeat at every OB appointment I had (once a month until around the start of the third trimester, then every two weeks, and then every week the last month. My girls are 3 and 7 months for time context). 

I think the vast majority of routine pregnancies/pregnant women would hear the heartbeat way more than 1x before 21 weeks.

8 weeks for a dating scan is typical. Even if you don't go for that, most women will have the first trimester screen around 12 weeks and then typically your OB/midwife appts are every 4 weeks until 28-30 weeks then every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, then weekly or more often. I would assume if they'd only heard it once it was either a dating scan and they chose not to do the first trimester screen (dear God WHY) or they didn't bother with the dating scan since they knew when they got pregnant anyway so they just did the first tri screen. Not sure why they would not have at least heard it via doppler between 12-21 weeks though, that is totally weird. Also the vast majority of anatomy scans are done at the 18-20 week mark, if she hadn't had one by 21 weeks that's also a bit of an outlier.

Just another sign pointing to them having iffy prenatal care.

2 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

I think the vast majority of routine pregnancies/pregnant women would hear the heartbeat way more than 1x before 21 weeks.

8 weeks for a dating scan is typical. Even if you don't go for that, most women will have the first trimester screen around 12 weeks and then typically your OB/midwife appts are every 4 weeks until 28-30 weeks then every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, then weekly or more often. I would assume if they'd only heard it once it was either a dating scan and they chose not to do the first trimester screen (dear God WHY) or they didn't bother with the dating scan since they knew when they got pregnant anyway so they just did the first tri screen. Not sure why they would not have at least heard it via doppler between 12-21 weeks though, that is totally weird. Also the vast majority of anatomy scans are done at the 18-20 week mark, if she hadn't had one by 21 weeks that's also a bit of an outlier.

Just another sign pointing to them having iffy prenatal care.

I found it odd that that was the first time one of the Duggar's had done one with her. I mean Jana owns a Doppler as seen. and we know Jill owns one.  Jill loves that Doppler so I'm surprised she hadn't convinced Joy to let her use it, and after I typed this I realized that I hope It was an actual midwife appointment that they'd heard the heart beat at the one time, and not just Jill using the Doppler. 

I could see hearing the heartbeat as little as only twice by then- just once does seem a bit odd but could be normal. Not every doctor offers an 8 week dating scan, and some people choose not to do the 12 week scan either. My doctor wouldn't listen for a heartbeat until I think at least 10 weeks or possibly later because they didn't want to blast such a tiny baby with those loud soundwaves. It can also be hard to find a heartbeat early on even for a doctor. I wonder if by that point Joy had only had an anatomy scan and that's when she heard the heartbeat. 

So, Joy posted her plans for Monday. (Laundry, cleaning house, washing toys, making dinner) Very different from my 20 year old self years ago... she also posted a few pics. They are living in the trailer. Gideon is a cutie. 

Austin treats Joy like she’s one of the guys.  If Joy was my daughter I’d want to smack him on the side of the head.  But he did give the worms to the ducks so there is that.  

Joy answered some questions in the comments and said she bottle feeds and still breastfeeds. She also said there will be an update about their living situation coming soon. 

I'm fairly certain she didn't go full doctor. Most midwives don't do all of that radiology stuff. There's cool stuff called consent as well.

3 hours ago, Markie said:

So, Joy posted her plans for Monday. (Laundry, cleaning house, washing toys, making dinner) Very different from my 20 year old self years ago... she also posted a few pics. They are living in the trailer. Gideon is a cutie. 

Is it a trailer or a camper? I don’t watch the show, but in the comments she said they were  living in, and loving, the camper. To me a camper is *very* different than a trailer. Do we know why that’s where they’re living? 

2 hours ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

Is it a trailer or a camper? I don’t watch the show, but in the comments she said they were  living in, and loving, the camper. To me a camper is *very* different than a trailer. Do we know why that’s where they’re living? 

I'd say technically they're in an RV (which in common parlance could likely be described as both a trailer and a camper). They're not precisely the same thing, which matters if you're actually trying to buy or rent one, but I think most people probably wouldn't know the difference.

I believe they may be living in this RV. I didn't check the actual episode because I kept getting stuck on ads on the website, but the internet tells me this may be their RV. Or at least, the one they lived in the first time, so I assume they're in the same one again. And if it's not this exact one, I believe they're in one of the same general type.

J&A RV.PNG

10 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Austin treats Joy like she’s one of the guys.  If Joy was my daughter I’d want to smack him on the side of the head.  But he did give the worms to the ducks so there is that.  

He treats Joy the way she seems to like to be treated.  What is wrong with girls going fishing or doing construction type work? Not all girls want to be treated like delicate princesses.

I think that Joy wants to be treated as "one of the guys". Austin isn't my cup of tea, but I do think that he's the kind of guy that Joy wants. Unlike some of her brothers (and brothers-in-law), he seems to be a guy who works hard to provide for his family. I think they are a good match. 

1 hour ago, xenobia said:

he seems to be a guy who works hard to provide for his family. I think they are a good match.

I wonder about this. I'm assuming he's working on other houses at the expense of his own? The house that was going to be done before the wedding, before the baby, etc.

Or do they have to take hard breaks for his family's busy camp season? 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

He treats Joy the way she seems to like to be treated.  What is wrong with girls going fishing or doing construction type work? Not all girls want to be treated like delicate princesses.

Yes, Joy is a tomboy and she enjoys doing that stuff. Austin isn't forcing her to do anything that she doesn't enjoy. I think their mutual enjoyment of those activities was what lead to their relationship developing.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Definitely agree with this sentiment. I waver between somewhat girly and tomboy on any given day, but my personality has always fit better when i'm "just one of the guys". 

I think they are compatible for the moment. Who knows with time, if that will change. Joy was little more than a child when she wed. She was certainly affected by the Duggars' stunted parenting approach, and along with Jinger, probably did not have the responsibility load and experiences that were required of her older sisters. I imagine that Joy is going to change a great in the coming years. I wonder how that will bode for her marriage. IMO, Joy seems really limited.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived