IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

5 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Joy. It's a construction site. Use some of that house flipping money to buy yourself some close-toed shoes. The saying is BAREFOOT and pregnant, not TOELESS and pregnant. 

this is the family that does everything in flip-flops I'm surprised she didn't have those on. 

4 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Giddy should not be in that Bumbo chair. 

I didn't think that was smart but I have no kids so I wasn't positive. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Joy got down and dirty helping Austin spread gravel. oh and adorable chunky Gid picture. 

I love Joy's enthusiasm. It seems like she's having fun and finding the work fulfilling - hope she doesn't feel she has to stay off the site by default as she's a girl, rather than just being busy looking after Gideon. House-flipping seems to be ticking her practical, active boxes which I'm really happy about - I was a bit worried re Austin's preferring her in dresses or whatnot, but they bonded over house-flipping before marriage and it seems like they're still a team and enjoying it. So impressed by their profit on the last one. Props to them. I hope this marriage is fulfilling to them both.

EDIT: I got confused about Gideon's age, but he's over 4 months isn't he? And holding himself up, so technically the Bumbo is appropriate for him? Or are you guys seeing something I'm not? Presumably they aren't driving around with him like that, he has a car seat. Anyway, he's adorable.

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Joy. It's a construction site. Use some of that house flipping money to buy yourself some close-toed shoes. The saying is BAREFOOT and pregnant, not TOELESS and pregnant. 

To be fair, she did say that she was just dropping off lunch and wasn't planning to stay. But still...maybe just keep some shoes in the car for occasions like this?

7 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

It must be frustrating to live in / come from the US south and have it be the one culture people feel safe trashing ! 

It is. We are constantly trashed as being stupid, uneducated, slow, toothless, dirty, poor... We all live in shacks without indoor plumbing, we eat weird food, we have no idea what's in the outside world... 

And:

Gideon is FINE in that Bumbo chair - if, as it appears, the vehicle is parked and they're having lunch.

There's nothing wrong with that bumbo unless they're subbing it for a car seat, IMO.

My immediate thought was wherever they are, I hope Gideon got to go inside while she was helping and she didn't just leave him in the car. 

I have a fisher price sit-me-up that I used everywhere, and will use again with my current baby. I took it to the park, sat him in it in the car just like Gideon in the bumbo, set it on the island in the kitchen while I cooked, sat him in front of the back door in it so I could see him while I walked dogs out back. It was a fantastic way to park him and we could see each other while I folded laundry, cooked, and did basically anything. I had a bumbo, but I liked the SMU better, so I returned it for diaper money.  I was pretty obnoxious with that SMU. I brought it with me anywhere we were going to stay awhile. Now that he's bigger (20mos), my mvp for outings is a Summer Infant pop 'n' sit. Instant highchair anywhere I go. 

Many things, living in the RV with an infant to save money brilliant, they have plenty of places to go for extra space, and weather safety. someone mentioned the shower not working, that could have easily been fixed in the past year, especially the 6 or so months they lived in that little house.

Joy joy, your shoes, sweetie what size shoes do you wear so someone can send you a pair a steel toed boots? Maybea some shorts/jeans, as well to wear while you are helping Austin. So much safer.  The only thing is too bad she couldn't' avail of an Aunty to watch Giddy while she worked with Austin for the afternoon, it is hard to knock a mom using free daycare while she's actually doing some work to make money.   

8 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

It must be frustrating to live in / come from the US south and have it be the one culture people feel safe trashing ! 

The one culture people feel safe trashing? I beg to differ:

New Jersey is called the armpit of America, shows like Jersey Shore and Real Housewives have given it the stereotype of everyone from there being trashy.

Mid-West area, "flyover states" are made fun of for accents and strange/unhealthy food that is heavy on the jello and mayo. Also parts are seen as being meth lab country.

Boston is summed up in popular culture via the accent, see Casey Affleck on SNL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSvNhxKJJyU

California is seen as being all crunchy hippies who hang out by the beach, or else Clueless valley girls. I can't cite one SNL skit without citing this one as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jIBZjL8G5s

Many conservatives in the South see the West and East Coasts as being full of elitist liberals, that's not a nice stereotype other.

I could go on and on.

So yeah, I don't like stereotypes either but am calling it the Southern victimization game, that kind of thinking that "everyone is against us and our culture" is at the root of American culture wars.

Hmm. All that is annoying  but dosen’t equal being thought of as Variously Klan Members, ignorant but happy hillbillies, beer swilling Gun crazy rednecks, invariably closet homophobes and racists wife beaters,Religious extremists or Just Dukes of Hazzard rejects. 

Look at any given Hollywood film set in south and not a few TV shows. 

The point is, other cultures in the U.S are just as fair game for being trashed, the South is not alone in this. The stereotypes are certainly not equal but also not any less negative. And unfortunately, the Duggars and Bates do not do much to dispel some of these stereotypes.

(And man, I just know I'm asking for downvotes/"fuck you"s"/"bless your heart"s from every southerner on FJ. I'll take it)

6 minutes ago, freethemall said:

The point is, other cultures in the U.S are just as fair game for being trashed, the South is not alone in this. The stereotypes are certainly not equal but also not any less negative. And unfortunately, the Duggars and Bates do not do much to dispel some of these stereotypes.

(And man, I just know I'm asking for downvotes/"fuck you"s"/"bless your heart"s from every southerner on FJ. I'll take it)

I’m going to disagree that the stereotypes aren’t more negative about the south, and much, much more pervasive. And, I’ll admit, I’ve had a hard time not buying into them as a kind of general cultural backdrop. FJ has been VERY enlightening to me in that regard - it’s really the only place where I, personally, have heard from many southern people. It has broadened my views on several issues. I live in hippie / flakey/ shallow California. I completely understand people can stereotype. But those stereotypes just aren’t the same as being presumed to all being inbred clan members. Or, really, devaluing parts of their general culture that aren’t intrinsically negative - just because it’s from there. 

The jokes I hear about Arkansas are about incest and missing teeth -- so abuse and poverty, basically. People with southern accents are also perceived as uneducated and unintelligent. I do think those are particularly negative stereotypes.

I don’t know enough about babies. I was always around babies as a kid but as an adult don’t have too many in my life. But I’m used to babies being chunky. Gideon looks kinda small too me. Maybe it’s his arm specifically, it looks really long and skinny. Maybe it’s just the angle, also maybe he’s a normal baby I just don’t any better lol

I would rather be Stereotyped as a flakey crunchy hippie than a Redneck with an old truckbed full of guns who swills Pabst while whuppin his kids and moonlighting as A Klan member on the weekends. But thats just me.

As a Southerner, the only stereotype that has ever really bothered me was that we are all stupid. The assumption that I'm ignorant just because of where I was born is offensive. Maybe that says something about my insecurities, but I get nervous speaking to non-Southerners because I'm fearful they won't take me seriously after hearing my accent. My mom's side of the family has the aristocratic Southern accent (think Kevin Spacey in House of Cards or Gone With the Wind) and I find it pleasing to hear. I sound more like my dad's side, though, which is the mountain "hill people" accent. The latter is definitely portrayed more negatively in the media. I love accents and it's a shame that some have more negative associations than others.

I have a stutter, so I don't bother people about their accents, no matter how I think it sounds. Getting commentary on my voice throughout my life has been uncomfortable enough, and I don't want to cause that discomfort in someone else. It's why I get annoyed whenever I see people drooling over foreign accents. Like, it's just another trait they have that they can't help? No need to get worked up.

The only concern I’d have with the Bumbo seat is that it’s been placed on an elevated surface. As far as I know, they shouldn’t be placed on elevated surfaces because it’s easy for the baby to tip it over and get hurt in a fall. That said, the bumbo on the seat of the car was likely safe enough if there wasn’t a big gap between the seat and the dashboard. I never used any seats like that myself because I was concerned about it possibly interfering with my daughter’s development and because I just didn’t see the point. My daughter has always preferred sitting on my lap to eat in situations where that would have been useful, so it would have just sat around taking up space. 

Regarding stereotypes, accents are lovely regardless of where they’re from in my opinion. Unfortunately, I’m one of those people who can have a lot of trouble hearing what someone with an accent very different from my own is saying (especially on the phone.) That’s 100% my problem and I try very hard to be as polite as possible when asking someone to repeat themselves. If you come across someone like me then please try not to be offended or upset or feel embarrassed - you’re not the problem because you’re very likely speaking perfectly fine.

As for the rest of the stereotype conversation... Imma peace right out, but here’s a stereotype map of New England and the Eastern part of Canada I found via google.  My apologies to our Canadian friends (I have zero clue how true or false any of those are), but I kind of laughed at the New England part - especially because my state is pretty much all “annexed territory” or “on probation”. :pb_lol:

753C99D8-9514-44C0-8B48-AC7F276AF1E4.thumb.png.4be6c9cf42f25e611a86afcc8cb37edb.png

This partial New England map is funny too:

Spoiler

3278730D-71AB-4738-BB4A-5CE84773AB4C.thumb.jpeg.82a15ad846f7b564d3fd93241dca1075.jpeg

(I make Southern posters feel a little better through laughter? I help? I help. :) )

8 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

The only concern I’d have with the Bumbo seat is that it’s been placed on an elevated surface. As far as I know, they shouldn’t be placed on elevated surfaces because it’s easy for the baby to tip it over and get hurt in a fall. That said, the bumbo on the seat of the car was likely safe enough if there wasn’t a big gap between the seat and the dashboard. I never used any seats like that myself because I was concerned about it possibly interfering with my daughter’s development and because I just didn’t see the point. My daughter has always preferred sitting on my lap to eat in situations where that would have been useful, so it would have just sat around taking up space. 

Regarding stereotypes, accents are lovely regardless of where they’re from in my opinion. Unfortunately, I’m one of those people who can have a lot of trouble hearing what someone with an accent very different from my own is saying (especially on the phone.) That’s 100% my problem and I try very hard to be as polite as possible when asking someone to repeat themselves. If you come across someone like me then please try not to be offended or upset or feel embarrassed - you’re not the problem because you’re very likely speaking perfectly fine.

As for the rest of the stereotype conversation... Imma peace right out, but here’s a stereotype map of New England and the Eastern part of Canada I found via google.  My apologies to our Canadian friends (I have zero clue how true or false any of those are), but I kind of laughed at the New England part - especially because my state is pretty much all “annexed territory” or “on probation”. :pb_lol:

753C99D8-9514-44C0-8B48-AC7F276AF1E4.thumb.png.4be6c9cf42f25e611a86afcc8cb37edb.png

This partial New England map is funny too:

Reveal hidden contents

3278730D-71AB-4738-BB4A-5CE84773AB4C.thumb.jpeg.82a15ad846f7b564d3fd93241dca1075.jpeg

(I make Southern posters feel a little better through laughter? I help? I help. :) )

I’m laughing my ass off over here at ‘What is this’! :pb_lol:

Also gotta point out that they completely cut off northeastern Quebec (aka best Quebec but I’m not biased or anything) and Newfoundland and Labrador! 

I have lots of ancestors from Nantucket and now I’m wondering if they ever met Cthulhu in their whaling days.

5 hours ago, habert said:

I don’t know enough about babies. I was always around babies as a kid but as an adult don’t have too many in my life. But I’m used to babies being chunky. Gideon looks kinda small too me. Maybe it’s his arm specifically, it looks really long and skinny. Maybe it’s just the angle, also maybe he’s a normal baby I just don’t any better lol

he is a skinny baby. My sister was the same when she was his age - probably a bit too thin really, she looked like a little monkey - when they're not so fat their proportions start to look a bit weird. Anyway, it was normal and by the time she was one she was a standard weight, although little. She's still thin as a rail, but so was I and my other siblings as kids, and I at least was a pretty fat baby.

Gideon is one of those old-man babies. I kind of love him and his big crooked smile.

9 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

My immediate thought was wherever they are, I hope Gideon got to go inside while she was helping and she didn't just leave him in the car. 

Especially since she said it was so hot outside.

I'm most curious about what they are working on. Looks like the foundation to a new house? 

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I’m laughing my ass off over here at ‘What is this’! :pb_lol:

Also gotta point out that they completely cut off northeastern Quebec (aka best Quebec but I’m not biased or anything) and Newfoundland and Labrador! 

I have lots of ancestors from Nantucket and now I’m wondering if they ever met Cthulhu in their whaling days.

I pretty much assume that Americans don't know that we exist. :pb_lol: Also I don't mean to be picky, but if it's Trailer Park Boys can we at least put it over Dartmouth? :P East go east! Poor New Brunswick though. The Bay of Fundy (Not joking) is beautiful! 

Stereotypes    I live on the west side of the force field on Velocirapture's map.  Being that there is lots of wilderness here we get a lot of the same stereotypes as the South...no indoor plumbing, eat weird things--uneducated, gun toting crazy folk.  LOL  We are resourceful, and love the beauty of where we live--and a good many of us actually have indoor plumbing :D 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived