IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

2 hours ago, beepy13 said:

I'm an excellent speller as well, but "vacuum" has always been one of those weird words for me too. Finally realized that the two u's sort of match how the word is pronounced!

Vacuum and broccoli. Got me for YEARS. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Vacuum and broccoli. Got me for YEARS. 

Aluminum - can’t say it can’t spell it.  Good old spellcheck!

I love lists. Been very helpful for my parents, especially since I'm the one who tracks quite a bit of thngs for them. Nothing fancy, just a Dollarama binder with loose leaf paper...but it does what it's supposed to. 

I suspect that Joy and Austin loathe being on the show, but were convinced to do it.  He strikes me as far more intelligent than your average Duggar, his family owns what appears to be a thriving business, and he appears to work hard...so I'm guessing that Jim Bob insisted that they participate and the $$s were appealing.  He doesn't (IMO) come across as the most personable of guys, but that doesn't mean he's a total douche (not that I'm discounting the possibility).  I think maybe he'd just prefer to live his life apart from the Duggar TV gig.  

@Imaginary_Wonderland, @Meggo

I am the same. I have hundreds of to-do‘s and then I feel so overwhelmed and cannot move my ass from the couch and procrastinate. And my perfectionist self keeps me from successfully finishing projects fast. It was easier in school and university because there was a real deadline with real consequences. But with all my crafty projects or housework it just doesn’t work out well. 

The thought of the finished dishwasher alone sometimes stresses me more than clearing it out would actually do.

I am also determined to keep my bullet journal (third or fourth try) and really fill it in but of course I want it to be artistic and pretty - because it is not like as if I have enough shit to do. I am also just not very talented with drawings or pretty handwriting and I am sure as hell hate practicing. There is just one option: it being „perfect“ straight away or I get discouraged very fast. I wonder if this is because I had an easy time at school and never really got into a regular habit of practicing/studying and therefore self discipline.

Interestingly, I sometimes reach a certain stress level that makes me unbelievably productive (and therefore happy). The stages before and after are the ones that are hard to overcome. But when I am on this level I am super fast and things turn out perfect enough for me. I wish I could hold that up all the time. There seems to be no middle ground.

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

@Imaginary_Wonderland, @Meggo

I am the same. I have hundreds of to-do‘s and then I feel so overwhelmed and cannot move my ass from the couch and procrastinate. And my perfectionist self keeps me from successfully finishing projects fast. It was easier in school and university because there was a real deadline with real consequences. But with all my crafty projects or housework it just doesn’t work out well. 

The thought of the finished dishwasher alone sometimes stresses me more than clearing it out would actually do.

I am also determined to keep my bullet journal (third or fourth try) and really fill it in but of course I want it to be artistic and pretty - because it is not like as if I have enough shit to do. I am also just not very talented with drawings or pretty handwriting and I am sure as hell hate practicing. There is just one option: it being „perfect“ straight away or I get discouraged very fast. I wonder if this is because I had an easy time at school and never really got into a regular habit of practicing/studying and therefore self discipline.

Interestingly, I sometimes reach a certain stress level that makes me unbelievably productive (and therefore happy). The stages before and after are the ones that are hard to overcome. But when I am on this level I am super fast and things turn out perfect enough for me. I wish I could hold that up all the time. There seems to be no middle ground.

This is my life story! I found school very easy and didn't have to work or study at it. Life got in the way and I raised children instead of going to uni so I never really had to learn to study or work at something. I'm heading back to school on Tuesday to do a diploma and I am sick at the thought of it. As excited as I am to "enter this new season of life" I also know myself well enough to know that if I don't achieve perfection on my first attempt then I'm likely to throw my hands up in defeat and walk away. The fact that I'm 38 and still can't drive is a perfect example of this lol

I also have a similar issue with stress/anxiety. I am amazing in a crisis and whizz about solving problems and fixing issues, I am insanely productive in this state. And yet it can take me months to psych myself up to make phone calls, answer letters or even just put away laundry and tidying around.

When I can't sleep at night I watch other people's bullet journal layouts on you tube. I think it's a system that would really help me plan and process my daily life, but I also know that the first mistake or messy handwriting would stress me so much I'd never get another thing done.

Good luck with your diploma @Ais It's different when you are a bit older but you also have different skills that  some of your younger classmates won't have the life experience benefit. I went back to uni at 27 to start something new, it was quite a different experience from uni straight out of school. It took a while to adapt and get used to a change in life style. It was very strange for a few months but day by day just do what you need doing and it soon becomes a new normal without noticing.

10 hours ago, beepy13 said:

I'm an excellent speller as well, but "vacuum" has always been one of those weird words for me too. Finally realized that the two u's sort of match how the word is pronounced!

Vacuum is a commonly misspelled word.

6 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I suspect that Joy and Austin loathe being on the show, but were convinced to do it.  He strikes me as far more intelligent than your average Duggar, his family owns what appears to be a thriving business, and he appears to work hard...so I'm guessing that Jim Bob insisted that they participate and the $$s were appealing.  He doesn't (IMO) come across as the most personable of guys, but that doesn't mean he's a total douche (not that I'm discounting the possibility).  I think maybe he'd just prefer to live his life apart from the Duggar TV gig.  

I agree with you, I also wonder if since having Gideon she isn't so keen on having HIM on the show.  She may not have minded growing up on TV, but Austin isn't  and pointed out how he felt being forced to do that one stupid tv show when he was a teen.  Perhaps she is seeing that Gideon might feel the same someday and is thinking like a mother and putting HIS needs 1st.  

I see them doing it for a time from the pressure from her family, but as they get older more mature and more independent I could seem them stepping away completely, not like Derelict & Jill who were forced off, if the show is still running in some capacity.

I'm admittedly a spelling stickler but I don't know how you would even misspell vacuum.  With one u? 2 cs? But I've also never got why "definitely" comes in all the abominations it does.  There's no a in definitely! 

27 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I'm admittedly a spelling stickler but I don't know how you would even misspell vacuum.  With one u? 2 cs? But I've also never got why "definitely" comes in all the abominations it does.  There's no a in definitely! 

My students always spelled "definitely" as "defiantly". 

My biggest spelling pet peeve is people who write "loosing" for "losing".  College football season is here and Nebraska will be better but not great, so "loosing" will be all over social media again to make me cringe. 

1 hour ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

It's easy, not everyone is a spelling whiz, I have a Bachelors degree, graduated with honors and everything, and I can't spell to save my life.  Any word is easy to misspell when you are in a hurry, not paying attention or don't know how to spell it. She is making a note for herself, she spelled the word wrong fixed it, I'm just impressed at her penmanship. it is neat and legible, 2 things mine are not, and I can't spell either. I can't say anything about what she did here because it was all done better than I could have done it.

1 hour ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Left to my own devices (and I read constantly and hold a master's degree, but spelling doesn't always stick), I spell it vacume. The double u is what I struggle with.

5 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I have an issue with spelling. However if I spell a word and it doesn’t look right how I spell it I will try again. 

My spelling is so bad I have a hard time getting the auto spell check to figure out what the hell I'm trying to say, I will often have to Google a word or use my voice text on my phone to get it right.  It is very frustrating at times I've tried to be better about remember this word or that word, but son of a bitch if I do, I do not have an eye for detail, never had, my ADD gets in the way and I just miss it.

I'm very good at spelling (tested in the 99.99th percentile) and like I said, I didn't have the spelling of vacuum pinned down until I was in my late 20s. I was always trying to add an extra c. 

Also, this is one of the dumbest, pickiest arguments I've ever seen here. God forbid someone misspell the word 'vacuum' or post a to-do list on Instagram? lol okay. Time to take a little break from the Duggar forum, I think. When all's quiet on the Duggar front, things seem to rapidly devolve into inanity around here.

10 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Aluminum - can’t say it can’t spell it.  Good old spellcheck!

I adore the way English accent pronouncing aluminum.  I get the giggles hearing it with that extra 'i' in the last syllable.

My can't get it right the first time word is recommendation. 

(Yes, I checked twice, not believing I'd spelled it right the first time)

47 minutes ago, violynn said:

I adore the way English accent pronouncing aluminum.  I get the giggles hearing it with that extra 'i' in the last syllable.

But it is literally called and written "aluminium" (with an extra "i") outside North America. No reason to get the giggles.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I'm very good at spelling (tested in the 99.99th percentile) and like I said, I didn't have the spelling of vacuum pinned down until I was in my late 20s. I was always trying to add an extra c. 

Also, this is one of the dumbest, pickiest arguments I've ever seen here. God forbid someone misspell the word 'vacuum' or post a to-do list on Instagram? lol okay. Time to take a little break from the Duggar forum, I think. When all's quiet on the Duggar front, things seem to rapidly devolve into inanity around here.

Is there actually an argument? I don't really see anyone being very harsh at all with her. Almost everyone commenting on the word at all is sympathetic. This particular thread seems pretty mild for the Duggar forum right now, certainly nothing like how people are criticizing Jill for posting a picture of her husband. I think we all get frustrated by the Duggar forum, though, so regular breaks are definitely a good idea!

Regarding the misspelling, I can easily see how one would write a double c, especially while initially writing it. It's in other words like "vaccine," after all.

For me, what makes "loose" and "lose" so hard to spell correctly is that the wrong letter changes!    "Loose" and "looze" would make more sense, spelling-wise. 

I mean, the vowel sound is the same in both - at least where I live it is - they both sound like the vowel sound in "oops".   It's the final consonant sound that is different. It sounds like an "s" in "loose" and a  "z" in "lose".  But yet it's the vowels that change, not the consonant.  Makes spelling tough! 

2 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

For me, what makes "loose" and "lose" so hard to spell correctly is that the wrong letter changes!    "Loose" and "looze" would make more sense, spelling-wise. 

I mean, the vowel sound is the same in both - at least where I live it is - they both sound like the vowel sound in "oops".   It's the final consonant sound that is different. It sounds like an "s" in "loose" and a  "z" in "lose".  But yet it's the vowels that change, not the consonent.  Makes spelling tough! 

Yep, that's another one that I never finish misspelling but it is so easy to start out writing  a double o since that's the sound it makes!

Completely unrelated to the spelling thread drift, but I have a student this semester who looks like a bro version of Austin.

I tend to lean towards Austin is not "a natural" on camera and yeah maybe doesn't love being on the show. However, I am a little nervous for the mid-terms and 2020 election to look at Austin's social media. I am sure there will be plenty of cringe worthy sentiments expressed.  

Personally, I think  English speaking people will be brought down by the apostrophe!  Especially the 's. I see it used improperly so often (and have done so myself on occasion. I also misspelled definitely for years (I spelled it definately).  

It is kind of quiet in Duggarland, and the TV show is dreadfully boring so not much to chat about as far as they're concerned.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived