IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

15 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

LOL!  And I discovered that your child may not address you as you wished to be addressed, especially in the teen years.  My son got a lot of enjoyment out of calling me Meemaw at times, or Mother!  "Mother!  when will dinner be ready?"  "Mother!  Is my laundry done?"  Usually followed by me saying "Son!  Get your own dinner!"  Meemaw was most often  used out in public, hollered across the quad at school.  I could have killed him!  

What about Pops for a dad who doesn't want to be called Dad or Daddy?  I've heard Papa used by people, but almost always for a grandpa.  

And sometimes kids can't SAY Grandma and come up with their own variant. My mother desperately wanted to be called Grandma - DESPERATELY. But my son (her only grand child) has a speech delay and calls her something like that but that he can pronounce - think Gamma & Gampa. And she's just had to learn to roll with it. He'll likely call her Grandma someday when he can pronounce GR - but till then ...

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came up with the name for one of my grandmothers. I wasn't even the first grandchild, but it spread to even my older cousin and now all the grandchildren call her that. As it happens, I grew up calling my grandfather on that side "Papa," which we often shortened to just "Pa."

I actually tend to think of "Papa" for fathers as kind of a hipster thing. I googled it and it turns out I'm not the only one to make that connection

hubs wanted to be called pawpaw, and that's what gd was able to say, so that's what he is called...i wanted to be grammy, but...gd couldn't pronounce the "gr", so i am  called maymay, or often just may...hence the screenname :my_cool:

DD called both grandpas “oompa” for the longest time. We all loved it and were sad when she switched to just grandpa.

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Exhausted is more like it. She's hugely pregnant and working her butt off. 

This is what I saw, exhausted and miserably pregnant.  I more got the impression she wasn't enjoying pregnancy, at least the last few months of it, not only was she huge, making her uncomfortable, it stops/stopped her from doing things she enjoys doing.

5 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This is what I saw, exhausted and miserably pregnant.  I more got the impression she wasn't enjoying pregnancy, at least the last few months of it, not only was she huge, making her uncomfortable, it stops/stopped her from doing things she enjoys doing.

Exactly this. I'm only 9 weeks pregnant but if I had my own tv show right now I'm sure everyone would be speculating that I'm miserable in my marriage. I'm not at all, but pregnancy sure does suck some of the life out of you. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

And she is someone who isn't content to sit and watch everyone do the work. Joy likes to get her hands dirty. 

We are British. My mum calls her parents Ma and Pa (he's a Canadian immigrant; my mum's childhood was very well-off British in the 50s and 60s); my brother and I call our dad Pa or Pops. I think it was initially a joke when we were teenagers (we called him Daddy when we were little) but that's just what he's called now. When my baby's born I think we'll probably just keep calling him that. My stepmum is from South Africa and will be Gogo (the 'o' is pronounced like in 'stop'), which is Zulu for grandma or any older lady.

Canadian: I call my mum Mum or Mama. I call my dad Dad or Pops. My grandparents are the classic Grandma and Grandpa, with my dad's parents being Grandma and Grandpa [Last Name]. One of my great-grandmas was Nanny [First Name], another was Nanny [Last Name], and another was Granny [Last Name] (the fourth died long before I was born so I never called her anything). All of my great-grandfathers passed away before I was born (well, except for my grandpa's biological father, but again, I never knew him, or even knew of him - long story).

I've noticed it's about a 50/50 split in Canada between mom and mum. The funny thing is that my grandma says 'mum', my mum says 'mom', I say 'mum' and my sister says 'mom'. I have absolutely no idea why it worked out that way!

I call my mother "mudder*" and my father, dad. I called my paternal grandparents Nanny and Poppy. My maternal grandmother was Nanny Last Name. 

*She hates it! :P 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I call my mother "mudder*" and my father, dad. I called my paternal grandparents Nanny and Poppy. My maternal grandmother was Nanny Last Name. 

*She hates it! :P 

Ahaha, I call mine ‘mudder’ sometimes too!

My youngest daughter calls me birth giver a lot because she knows it annoys the hell out of me, that and being called mother ugh. Lol

11 minutes ago, farmerannie said:

My youngest daughter calls me birth giver a lot because she knows it annoys the hell out of me, that and being called mother ugh. Lol

I don't call my mom birth giver out loud, but that is my contact for her on my phone! My dad is listed as dadther. 

6 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

I don't call my mom birth giver out loud, but that is my contact for her on my phone! My dad is listed as dadther. 

Can I ask why you call her that? I'm always curious if my kids are just being assholes or if I've done something wrong. 

Just now, farmerannie said:

Can I ask why you call her that? I'm always curious if my kids are just being assholes or if I've done something wrong. 

Lol it's mainly because I thought it was funny at the time and am too lazy to change it. I think I saw birth giver online and copied it, and then my dad felt left out. 

3 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Lol it's mainly because I thought it was funny at the time and am too lazy to change it. I think I saw birth giver online and copied it, and then my dad felt left out. 

Thanks for your answer. My kids are great and I love that they are comfortable enough with me to be assholes since I started raising them with some screwed up ideas. So glad I changed.

15 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

That's funny, in Dutch it is also Oma and Opa but my grandparents did not want to be called that (probably for the same reasons) so we called them by the Flemish words. All languages can rotate this way :my_biggrin:

WAIT A MINUTE. Dutch and Flemish use different words?! You just blew my mind! :pufff:

3 hours ago, farmerannie said:

My LOL is because my daughter has me as birth giver in her phone. I called my mom, mom now I call her Grandma I've always called my dad, dad, my kids call my mom Grandma or Gramjam (I have no idea where that came from) my dad & his wife are Pop pop & Cathy to my kids, but my sister and brothers kids call them Pop Pop and Nonnie. My husbands mom is Grandma as well, if they are going to one or the other they will say I'm going to Grandma's (meaning my mother) or I'm going to Grandma Sandra (my MIL). 

I didn't have grandparents growing up, my moms dad died before I was born, and we lived about 400 miles away from my moms family in Wisconsin.  My dad's parents, Aunt & Cousin (that is his whole family) lived in Arkansas, also about 400 miles away, and my dad's dad died when I was about 12.  While my grandmothers lived until my adulthood, I only saw either of them a hand full of times in my life. 

I called both my sets of grandparents the same, Granny/Granddad. My mothers' parents were "Granny and Granddad Topsy Turvy" (they had a copy of the Mr Men book Mr Topsy Turvy, which was one of my favourite books as a kid) and my fathers' parents were "Granny Firstname" and "Granddad Firstname". 

My mother and aunt used to call one set of grandparents (mum's told me, but I forget which set) Nana and Boompa. 

Neither my brother nor I am anywhere near having kids yet, so I don't know what my parents will be. 

I get people wanting to be called various things, but really you cannot force a little kid to say one thing if their instinct is to say something else. 

I call my mom and dad just "mom and dad", though I will use my mom's first name if I'm in a store with her, lose track of her, and need to get her attention, since "MOMSFIRSTNAME!" gets her attention quicker than "MOM!" If I ever have kids I'll teach them to do that. 

3 hours ago, JillyO said:

WAIT A MINUTE. Dutch and Flemish use different words?! You just blew my mind! :pufff:

Some are different, sometimes they even use the same word but it has a different meaning (pooping in The Netherlands would be fucking in Flemish ;-) )

In this case they adapted from French. Grandparents are called Bompa and Bomma.

@CarrotCake I have friends who opted to use the Frysian words for grandma/grandpa for one set of grandparents (beppe = grandma, pake= grandpa). 

It was really hard for me to watch Joy work without any glasses, gloves and proper shoes. Austin said he doesn't want to endanger mommy and child with the homebirth, but what about before? Letting your pregnant wife work with that outfit and nothing that protects her is really bad. Just staying away from fumes and paint is not enough. Joy said he is an EMT, so he should know what can go wrong on a construction site. There's a reason one has to wear protective clothes even if you're not pregnant!

On 7/15/2018 at 5:58 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm not so sure they aren't.  Most extremist Christians are, the gubmint can't tell them what to do.   While I'm sure Josie was vaccinated that is only because she was in the NICU for so long as a micro premi the hospital & dr's woudl have insisted on it. Maybe the duggars did vaxx after Josie's birth because her immune system was so delicate, they had to be vaccinated to keep her from being sick. And world travel requires you to have certain vaccinations, I don't know if you can get out of it for, religious reasons, I think only medical ones, since you can't force someone who might die from the vaccine to get it, because that defeats the purpose of vaccinations, which is to SAVE lives not take them. 

Speaking of stereotyping. . . MOST extremist Christians are [anti-vaxx]? News to me and I've been around them for 40+ years. In fact, the first person I met who even delayed vaccines wasn't fundie (female doctor who married her husband after their son's birth).

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived