IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I am in small-town Ontario and people say the stupidest things to me about my husband.

Is he from North or South Korea? (Really? Really?)

Has his English gotten better? (Ask him, you dumb fuck!)

What does he eat?  (Um...food, just like you.)

Oh, and just this month:

Is his pubic hair straight?

I live in small town Iowa, and people are SOOO ignorant. Our town is about 98% white, my neighbors on either side of me have bi-racial daughters both of whom were in my daughters class. Several years ago when the girls were in elementary school, they had a school concert and the jackass sitting next to me said something about "when did we get chinks in this town" several folks looked at him funny but me being me said "First of all they aren't chinks you racists dimwit, 1 is 1/2 Vietnamese, her father is from Vietnam, and her mother is from the US and is white. The other girl is 1/2 Korean, her father is an American, whose PARENTS were born in Korea, and came to the US several years before he was born, and her mother is also white. They both live next door to me, in separate homes and are both lovely neighbors so I would appreciate you keeping your racists comments to yourself.  He mumbled something under his breath, but kept his mouth shut the rest of the concert. For which I think everyone was grateful since the next group of kids out had a Muslim girl, and I'm pretty sure NONE of us wanted to hear his thoughts on them.

What’s with the papa thing? We say it (it’s Dutch), Jill says it ‘cause apparently it’s Spanish too but why does Joy? 

21 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

What’s with the papa thing? We say it (it’s Dutch), Jill says it ‘cause apparently it’s Spanish too but why does Joy? 

16 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

Papa is also used in English, mostly by little kids. Not as common as daddy or dadda, probably, but it is used. I've seen it used to refer to a grandfather as well.

Insomnia is a bitch, so I'm over reading pickles group and someone asked the question "Do you think Joy & Austin are truly happy together?" and everyone is commenting on how Joy looks miserable and dead inside they have zero chemistry. I'm not seeing what these people are seeing I don't think they are head over heals and mushy, lovey dovey, but I think the seem pretty well matched and seem to be enjoying themselves.

3:00 am musings about fundy love. 

So there we go. Joy has at least one time of tested high blood sugar. 

While it is standard to try to fix it with nutrition and physical activity you are monitored quite closely (at least in my country) because there is always the possibility that you have to switch to medication at one point. You are required to measure your own levels (at first 6 times later 4 times a day) and a diabetologist will check your data every four to two weeks and have a close look at the measured belly scale of the baby (we have monthly gynaecologist appointments till 30 weeks than every fortnight).

The diet guidelines are hard. Very few fruits, lots of veg. Only whole grain products and in a smaller amount (basically low carb). No juice, no fruit smoothies, no grapes or watermelon, no sweet drinks, no water ice , now sweets or fast food,..... Eating out is a nightmare because you never know how they prepare their sauce or dressing. 

Sorry for being whiny as I am living this right no (hopefully only for another six weeks) in the hottest summer ever. I am still lucky as the baby is growing perfectly as it should and there a no signs that I will have to start medication. But it is still a possibility.

It didn’t look as if her levels have been monitored closely enough through the rest of her pregnancy or that she got more scans to have at least an idea how the baby was developing. Which is crazy as personal weight gain says nothing about the baby’s size. From what I have seen she is a safe candidate for GD but of course I cannot know for sure.

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Insomnia is a bitch, so I'm over reading pickles group and someone asked the question "Do you think Joy & Austin are truly happy together?" and everyone is commenting on how Joy looks miserable and dead inside they have zero chemistry. I'm not seeing what these people are seeing I don't think they are head over heals and mushy, lovey dovey, but I think the seem pretty well matched and seem to be enjoying themselves.

3:00 am musings about fundy love. 

To me they seem like they are happy together but more in a friends way. They are comfortable and like hanging out together but they don't seem in love (like for instance Joe and Kendra).

But I was also surprised by that thread.

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Sorry for being whiny as I am living this right no (hopefully only for another six weeks) in the hottest summer ever

You've got this mama to be!

3 hours ago, cascarones said:

You've got this mama to be!

Definitely! you'll get through it! I did it twice! (and both times, my kids were under 8 lbs :) )

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

To me they seem like they are happy together but more in a friends way. They are comfortable and like hanging out together but they don't seem in love (like for instance Joe and Kendra).

But I was also surprised by that thread.

I don't think Joy looks miserable. I think her and Austin are similar enough that they are fine with their marriage. She can do all the "tomboy" things she enjoys doing and he likes doing them with her. They aren't giddy cutesy people like Joe and Kendra. They strike me as being very pragmatic and plain and simple. 

On 8/6/2018 at 10:54 AM, singsingsing said:

Papa is also used in English, mostly by little kids. Not as common as daddy or dadda, probably, but it is used. I've seen it used to refer to a grandfather as well.

Agreed. Also, the standard American English version is differently pronounced and accented than in Spanish (or French, etc.). Not sure how it's accented in Dutch.

Jill, if she's trying to get Israel to use the Spanish version would emphasize it as "pa-PA" with a very short first syllable, sometimes even as "puh-PA", whereas the English version used in the US would usually be "PAH-pa" with a longer first syllable.  

My husband wasn't sure if he liked being called daddy and suggested papa. I think its only fair that he decides what he wants our child to call him but I did nudge him away from it. Partly because I don't like it personally and would feel weird referring to him as that, but also because Jill ruined it. I didn't tell him the latter reason because he already thinks I'm crazy with the whole Duggar/fundie obsession :my_tongue:

I think I want to start using "Papa" for my father and husband and pronounce it like l live in a Jane Austen novel so I can be extra like Jill.  

My brothers and I called our father "Papa".He didn't want to be called "Daddy".

I'm American,but my mother was German.Our grandparents were "Oma and Opa".My father's mother asked my mother what the German word was for grandmother..because she didn't want to be called "Grandmother,Grandma" etc.

My mother was from Arkansas and called her father papa. My mother was also born in 1926. Definitely an old southern thing. We called our father daddy all of his life, I think that's a southern thing too, although we were all born and raised in Chicago. Tradition dies hard.

6 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

My mother was from Arkansas and called her father papa. My mother was also born in 1926. Definitely an old southern thing. We called our father daddy all of his life, I think that's a southern thing too, although we were all born and raised in Chicago. Tradition dies hard.

Southerner (well, former) here approaching middle age and I still call my dad “Daddy”. 

I know a handful of people that do Papa for the dad, and I actually think it’s pretty cute. I may have even asked my husband about it if I had know it was a thing when we started having kids. Our dads (the grandpas) are both Papa. I also thinks it’s cute how the older Duggar kids call JB Pops. 

10 hours ago, melon said:

My brothers and I called our father "Papa".He didn't want to be called "Daddy".

I'm American,but my mother was German.Our grandparents were "Oma and Opa".My father's mother asked my mother what the German word was for grandmother..because she didn't want to be called "Grandmother,Grandma" etc.

That's funny, in Dutch it is also Oma and Opa but my grandparents did not want to be called that (probably for the same reasons) so we called them by the Flemish words. All languages can rotate this way :my_biggrin:

22 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't think Joy looks miserable. I think her and Austin are similar enough that they are fine with their marriage. She can do all the "tomboy" things she enjoys doing and he likes doing them with her. They aren't giddy cutesy people like Joe and Kendra. They strike me as being very pragmatic and plain and simple. 

I didn't see "miserable" - I saw "exhausted". Which given the work she's doing, and that she's growing a (rather sizeable) baby in there - I am not at all surprised by. 

Joy looked super tired during Monday's episodes. I know she had a cold during the first, but she just seemed so down. Hopefully she's feeling better now and wasn't feeling too bad for her entire pregnancy. Austin seemed pretty insistent that they would be selling the house 2 months after Gideon was born, but it didn't sell until June. Ideally, that would mean that after the birth he decided to wait a bit to so that Joy could ease back into things.

When she was cutting wood, the camera zoomed in on Joy wearing open toed shoes AGAIN. So, her Instagram post with her laying gravel in sandals was definitely not a one time thing. Why why why can't she put on a pair of work boots (or at the very least some sneakers). 

2 hours ago, Meggo said:

I didn't see "miserable" - I saw "exhausted". Which given the work she's doing, and that she's growing a (rather sizeable) baby in there - I am not at all surprised by. 

Exhausted is more like it. She's hugely pregnant and working her butt off. 

19 hours ago, lizzybee said:

I think I want to start using "Papa" for my father and husband and pronounce it like l live in a Jane Austen novel so I can be extra like Jill.  

LOL!  And I discovered that your child may not address you as you wished to be addressed, especially in the teen years.  My son got a lot of enjoyment out of calling me Meemaw at times, or Mother!  "Mother!  when will dinner be ready?"  "Mother!  Is my laundry done?"  Usually followed by me saying "Son!  Get your own dinner!"  Meemaw was most often  used out in public, hollered across the quad at school.  I could have killed him!  

What about Pops for a dad who doesn't want to be called Dad or Daddy?  I've heard Papa used by people, but almost always for a grandpa.  

2 hours ago, llg1234 said:

When she was cutting wood, the camera zoomed in on Joy wearing open toed shoes AGAIN. So, her Instagram post with her laying gravel in sandals was definitely not a one time thing. Why why why can't she put on a pair of work boots (or at the very least some sneakers). 

She's at least wearing shoes with soles. Given how often she's been shown barefoot on the show(s) she's clearly not a fan of shoes, especially in the summer. Thus, even though she's wearing open toed shoes and thus vulnerable to things dropping on her feet she's less likely to step on something that way so she's better protected than barefoot. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived