IGNORED

Jinjer 38: Bun in the Oven

Jellybean

The world doesn't need more Duggar-related preachers.

Jeremy is just a pig with lipstick. I do give him some credit for at least going through with this on his own as it does seem to be a commitment and a fair bit of work. Unlike Derick who grifts and missioncations. But I'd still prefer if Jeremy were a plumber or a roofer or a dentist or a dog walker or anything else, really.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Jeremy's beliefs are just as bad and harmful as the rest of the Duggars, but this really gives me hope that their children might attend real school and possibly get a degree themselves. Especially if they move to (and stay) in LA, their kids would probably be the most likely to branch out. 

Jeremy and Jinger seem more likely than Jill and Derick to be the parents that say "I believe you can" when their kid expresses interest in something. (Obviously they might not, especially since their child isn't born yet. That's just the impression they give me)

22 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I know this is a "slippery slope" fallacy but this thread still makes me wonder at what point do we start thinking it's just bad to be an evangelical Christian?

This is a great question. It's sometimes easy for me to think the world (or at least the US) would be a better place without evangelical Christianity, especially as a political force. 

I don't really want to paint it with that broad of a brush, though.  I also have reservations about religions based on converting people (I find it disrespectful and annoying), but if evangelical Christianity could manage to fight racism, misogyny, homophobia, poverty, etc. in the world and not just in the church, I would be fine with it. I know there are evangelicals who are concerned about those problems (although many are not), but I'm not sure if this kind of reform would be possible given evangelicals' focus on the next world at the expense of this one. (As demonstrated in the sentiment that there's no point in making the world a nicer place to go to hell from.) 

But the Duggars are several orders of magnitude more dangerous than that, since they're not content with the afterlife and are actively trying to make this world worse. 

Sorry I'm on page 15 of this thread and I have to add my celebrity thread drift:

My sister and I were on BART coming home from San Francisco from something and it was her, myself a few random people and Jason Ritter (Parenthood was big at the time). My sister and I exchanged glances and I pulled up my phone (behind my seat) to verify who it was. Yep. He watched her and I have a silent conversation and he had the biggest grin on his face. We had no plans to talk to him or approach him or anything, but he could see us going back and forth and he was very amused. He gave us the tiniest wave and then wink at us as he got off the train with his bike. It was like 11pm and he looked exhausted. 

I've also met a ton of Christian musicians and stuff, but my only good story is about Toby Mac. Nicest guy ever. 

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

I know Jeremy's beliefs are just as bad and harmful as the rest of the Duggars, but this really gives me hope that their children might attend real school and possibly get a degree themselves. Especially if they move to (and stay) in LA, their kids would probably be the most likely to branch out. 

Jeremy and Jinger seem more likely than Jill and Derick to be the parents that say "I believe you can" when their kid expresses interest in something. (Obviously they might not, especially since their child isn't born yet. That's just the impression they give me)

Oh, yes, so much this.

I can see the kids not living their lives on the kitchen table. Though, it will likely be a very carefully chosen conservative Christian school. The procrastinator within me now wants to go on a google search for such educational facilities... ... off I go... :my_angel:

Oh wait, I've also met Sean Astin. I've run a couple of runDisney races with him and got to see him speak at a runDisney event. Super nice. He walked right up and started chatting with myself a couple of runners and I looked at him and said 'you're taller than I thought you'd be' and everyone went silent. He doubled over laughing and said it was the nicest thing anyone had ever said to him :lol: I feel like I should be embarrassed, but it just kind of came out of my mouth! I guess in my mind I was ready to meet a Hobbit, but he was super funny. Totally down to earth, gave me some running advice. The next morning I was at the 5k finish line with my nephew (waiting for family members) and he walked right up to me, gave me a hug and started chatting with my nephew who about fell over. I was the cool aunt for like 5 minutes. 

Regarding celebrity sightings...mine are a bit geeky, mainly authors, musicians, and people in the ballet world. A few of my favorites were touring the Louvre with a friend and Steve Goodman...he asked us for change for 100 francs and we spent the afternoon wandering. William Warfield...the guy who sings Ol' Man River in Showboat...was the soloist for something I also sang in, and my husband had to pick him up on the mainland in a gale of a rainstorm because he had missed the last ferry over. It was REALLY rough and he was a great sport.  He didn't separate himself from the other musicians, hung out with all of us during breaks. Alice Parker conducted...I was starstruck, she was SO approachable. We had a picnic. Truth!  I met Aaron Copland at his 9oth birthday party, in Chicago, and Madeleine L'Engle, my favorite author, and I had tea and discussed children and beauty and life when she was doing an author's visit. They were ALL absolutely wonderful. Oh. I met Maria Von Trapp, too. She spoke at my college, and I asked her how to dance the ländler. And I did not speak to them, but the King and Queen of Norway smiled and nodded at me when they visited my alma mater. I keep hoping that was really a low key invitation for coffee at the summer palace when we go back to visit family, but so far, no luck. :tw_coffee::tw_cakeslice:

My best celebrity sighting was when Jamie Oliver came to our office. Although he was super nice he was so short! I never expected him to be tall but I had not expected he was this short, such a dissapointment.

I shook hands with our King and Queen (and also the former Queen) once as well.

For the rest: only Dutch celebrities that you would not know.

On 14/05/2018 at 10:01 PM, Karma said:

I think...actually...that I would still like to be your friend, @Blahblah

Lol. Despite the fact that you did watch ACP I reckon we can be friends :D 

11 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

Lol. Despite the fact that you did watch ACP I reckon we can be friends :D 

Deal! 

Oh! I just realized I did meet a famous person-- the guy who wrote Hugo Cabret! I think his name was Brian Selznick, but I'm honestly not sure. He went to my high school, and came to talk to the seniors when I was a junior. I wasn't allowed at the assembly, but I had drama club in the auditorium right after, so we got to hang out with him. I didn't have his book, so he signed my Henry IV part 1 for me, along with the message "I'm not Shakespeare" :pb_lol: 

I think it's entirely possible to look at Jeremy's pursuit of education in Ministry (and Derek's lack thereof) from two perspectives simultaneously. The first is a close up, like using the zoom mode on your camera. It's an armchair anthropological discussion about what life looks like from their perspective, how it fits into their worldview, and what the likely consequences of their choices might be. So I would say that Jeremy very much wants to fit in with a Northeastern middle class culture, and present himself as an educated, fashionable and mainstream 30 something. He wants to distance himself from the redneck, zealous fundamentalist Christianity that the Duggars kind of embody. So I think getting the right kind of degree and knowing the right kind of church people fits in with this desire.

The second discussion is a wide-angle look at the implications for society of how fundamentalists pursue Ministry. I would call that kind of discussion a deconstruction of fundamentalist discourse. We are assessing their claims, considering ethical ramifications, and pointing out fallacies. Jeremy appearing like a mainstream Christian and packeting his fundamentalist beliefs in that guise definitely has the possibility to convert more people to right-wing Evangelical Christianity. At the same time I think a lot of people are pretty sophisticated at identifying his beliefs as Evangelical rather than mainstream, no matter how hipster he looks. The moment he starts talking about abortion or anti-Catholicism or homophobia people will tune in to what he's all about. I think most people have already made up their minds about those issues so he might end up just preaching to the choir. I might be naive about that though. I do think the less public statements about homophobia à la Derek the better, and Jeremy seems determined to win more flies with honey than vinegar. Hopefully he'll fail!

The zoom mode type of conversation is inherently less about moral judgments or critique because we're trying to understand it from their point of view. It's probably good to add a caveat to those types of posts to make it clear we're not endorsing their decisions. The second type is inherently about ethical and moral considerations so it's obviously going to critique their choices and statements. I think it's more productive not to mix up the two conversations because then we just end up at cross purposes. Just my two cents!

I need some better things in my life than just sometimes image searching "Jinger pants" and go "aww yeah girl, work those pants". :my_dodgy: Such high standards I have...

Just piping in on the "good evangelical" vs. "bad evangelical" thing.  This is a very broad generalization, but in general evangelical churches tend to be independent bodies even if they are part of a larger denomination.  For example, I grew up in a Southern Baptist church that ordained women, as did several others in my area.  Ordination of women isn't that common among Southern Baptist churches, but every church is its own governing body and makes its own rules. You can also be evangelical without being fundmentalist, so it's not really accurate to use those terms interchangeably - again, that's all going to depend on the individual church.  An evangelical church is certainly going to have a goal of converting others to Christianity, and I know that idea in and of itself is offensive to many people. But otherwise the term "evangelical" doesn't really tell you that much about the individual church, pastor, or congregation in my experience.

23 hours ago, victoriasponge said:

‘Have you considered just doing whatever your husband says?’

Problems solved

Israel/Palestine crisis fixed. 

I don’t get the impression Ben and Jessa’s marriage works like that. Like even a little bit. I don’t even think Michelle and J.B work that way in actual practice - but she’s more of a subvert “ head that turns the neck” type. I don’t think Jessa and Ben can be bothered to even put the energy required into playing that game. It doesn’t work with their personalities. He’s too laid-back, she’s too direct and they have two babies to chase. That shits  exhausting. 

1 hour ago, Frumper said:

Just piping in on the "good evangelical" vs. "bad evangelical" thing.  This is a very broad generalization, but in general evangelical churches tend to be independent bodies even if they are part of a larger denomination.  For example, I grew up in a Southern Baptist church that ordained women, as did several others in my area.  Ordination of women isn't that common among Southern Baptist churches, but every church is its own governing body and makes its own rules. You can also be evangelical without being fundmentalist, so it's not really accurate to use those terms interchangeably - again, that's all going to depend on the individual church.  An evangelical church is certainly going to have a goal of converting others to Christianity, and I know that idea in and of itself is offensive to many people. But otherwise the term "evangelical" doesn't really tell you that much about the individual church, pastor, or congregation in my experience.

I appreciate the points you made. Evangelical churches can vary greatly due to that indepence. Being "just Christian" helps them sell themselves as being above "All that denominational stuff" even when they aren't. There are those that do openly acknowledge Sothern Baptist affiliations but it's becoming increasingly passe to be openly denominational. 

My celebrity "meeting" was less than impressive, but a HUGE deal to a 15 year old girl in the mid 80's. 

A radio station in Houston in the 80's had a yearly event called the "Rock n Roll Auction".  In the early days it was held in a club (later years it moved to a big arena & wasn't as much fun).  The year my high school best friend and I went was the year Jon Bon Jovi (pre-Slippery when wet so he was big, but not BON JOVI HUGE) was going to be appearing.  There wasn't anyone we wanted to see in the club at the time, so we stepped out front to smoke.  While standing there Jon Bon Jovi was driven up to the front door, ushered thru the crowd outside, into the club, & in about 10 minutes, ushered out thru the backdoor.  Inside the club, they kept saying that he would be back, that was just a tease for us.  She & I parked ourselves back out front after hearing that.  By this time the front had mostly cleared out & the crowd was inside.  We waited and waited and waited.  After about 30 minutes, we see the car he's in pull up again.  We do the teenaged girl thing and squeal and rush up towards him.  I managed to touch his arm when I was flattened by his bodyguard.  Landed on my ass as Jon flew by going into the club.  My friend is screaming because she managed to take pictures as he went by (we would find out when having them developed that not a single picture turned out) and I'm sitting on my butt on the ground wondering what the hell just happened. 

As I'm sitting there another car pulls up & the local late night female dj and Joe Lynn Turner (Of Rainbow fame) got out of that car.  Joe Lynn walked right over & helped me stand back up & offered to take pictures with me.  He was also the only "star" who hung around after the event ended signing autographs & taking pics.  He saw me again afterwards, gave me a hug, asked if I was okay & signed a tshirt & album for me.  He had a stack of his new record he was passing out & I got the first one he signed.  I still have it too.

We also got a pic with Paul Schaefer (of David Letterman fame) that day.

Now if being "acknowledged" by someone famous without actually meeting them counts, I can add Tommy Lee of Motley Crue & Slash of Gun n Roses because I used to have a tendency to flash my boobs at concerts. 

I met and shook hands with Prince William! He came to NZ in 2005 and they had a dinner for him to meet the youth of NZ. My workplace was asked to nominate under 30s to go .... so 5 women and 1 man went. I’ve got a very poor memory but the conversation was generally how are you liking our country etc and as others say he was nice and normal seeming. At that dinner I also learnt how cut throat and crazy people can be when it comes to meeting famous people!! I actually went to uni and knew our current NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Arden which is a bit more exciting to me[emoji4]

@closetcagebaby Disturbing but not surprising. Rape culture is rampant everywhere. And college campuses are a hotbed of sexual assault. Religious institutions of learning are no different, even if they like to pretend to be. Colleges (secular or not) tend to defend their institution, often at the cost of the victim. 

There's been a lot of activists and orgs doing good work in holding people accountable and restructuring problematic systems that silence survivors. 

So I've met quite a few people, mainly athletes with a select few actresses (Natalie Portman comes to mind, very sweet person!). My favorite kind of random one is Peter from the group Peter, Paul and Mary!

In kindergarten he came to our local middle school (right next door, we share a field) and they selected me and a few classmates to go on stage to sing with him. I remember him being nice and super tall (but also I don't know if it's because I was obviously small haha)

I went to a taping of Fashion Police at E, Kris Jenner was the guest. After the show I saw Farrah from Teen Mom in the lobby. I relate to her in that I understand her upbringing and abuse she went through, so I went to say hi, something I wouldn’t normally do.  I know she’s awful to people on the show, and I won’t make excuses for her, but she was very warm and kind to me as a stranger. 

16 hours ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

I went to a taping of Fashion Police at E, Kris Jenner was the guest. After the show I saw Farrah from Teen Mom in the lobby. I relate to her in that I understand her upbringing and abuse she went through, so I went to say hi, something I wouldn’t normally do.  I know she’s awful to people on the show, and I won’t make excuses for her, but she was very warm and kind to me as a stranger. 

Farrah can be nice to fans or a bitch depending on her mood, like most people . Jenelle is aparently nasty to most fans and pretends she's not allowed to take pictures because of her contract, all her costar's do it and said it's a lie. Farrah is the way she is due to a lot issues and she has at least worked her ass off to provide for Sophia. Jenelle ditched Jace to party and even left him on the drug dealers porch in his car seat.

@candygirl200413 I am SO glad to hear that Natalie Portman was nice! Can you explain how you met her? She is one of my favorite actresses but I've heard rumors of her giving fans the cold shoulder.

Jinger is 31 weeks pregnant and Jeremy is thinking about his glory days

I know Jeremy  is quoting some Bible related quote, but all I can think of is this:

Spoiler

5afe1b66ac52e_futuramaspongy.jpg.57f6fc0a916182993a947ea646da442f.jpg

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived