IGNORED

Jinjer 38: Bun in the Oven

Jellybean

Repeating my prediction from 8/9/17:

“Long-time lurker, first time poster. The discussion about GCC (Grace Community Church), coupled with a new Instagram photo today of JinJer on the main campus with John MacArthur, Jr., is the impetus to take the (scary) step and wade into the discussion. It has been my belief all along that the ultimate goal is to move JinJer to the main campus (GCC Sun Valley, CA). This is the second photo of JinJer there (remember the jacket with the missing button?) Both Jeremy and père Vuolo are pastoring satellite churches from GCC, IIRC. I would not be surprised if Jeremy was studying online through The Master's Seminary, another offshoot of the church in Southern California. The teaching, not preaching, that is a hallmark of this church, emphasizes deep research into the scripture. It certainly is reflected in all the reading Jeremy seems to do as he prepares for sermons. I've seen other comments about the idea that Jeremy might be seeking to be another Joel Osteen or other television preacher. My money's on a move to the main campus, grooming him for leadership of sometime kind there. Okay, now I'm off to the prayer closet!”

The “campus” here is the original Grace Community Church. The Master’s College campus is north of the church within about a 30 minute drive. It’s possible for students to attend classes while being involved in ministry at the church. Perhaps a year of distance learning first, while ministering at the church in Laredo for JinJer, then off to SoCal.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I have to say, I respect Jeremy for going for a real M.Div.  Even though I doubt this is a great school, it's better than "I'm completely making this up and interpreting this myself".

Right?  I mean, he's still going to be a conservative literalist, but I googled the school and my first thought was, at least it's WASC-accredited!  Unlike these 'I think I'll be a preacher!!! - Boom, I'm a preacher!'  idiots.  

14 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Right?  I mean, he's still going to be a conservative literalist, but I googled the school and my first thought was, at least it's WASC-accredited!  Unlike these 'I think I'll be a preacher!!! - Boom, I'm a preacher!'  idiots.  

I think of it like I think of extreme Haredi/Hasidic/Ultra-Orthodox Jews: what you believe is pretty abhorrent to me (or, in the case of Ultra-Orthodox Judaism, I think it sometimes just goes straight into the realm of "if someone in this community had severe OCD, I think no one would notice anything amiss"), but at least you buckle down and study and actually know your shit backwards and forwards. To the exclusion of pretty much everything else (there are some Ultra-Orthodox communities in the US where the kids can barely speak English even though they've lived in New York City all their lives), but you know your shit and can back up what you say. 

On 2018-05-11 at 3:43 AM, VelociRapture said:

I can’t help much, but I really like, “Ada Twist, Scientist.” It doesn’t talk about science in depth, but it does introduce the concept of using science to try and answer questions you have:

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/ada-twist-scientist-andrea-beaty/1123236059

This list is from 2010, but here are some other suggestions:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/great-science-books-for-the-little-ones-40074812/

Miniway and I love that book! And also her other ones: Iggy Peck, Architect; Rosie Revere, Engineer; and the awesome Happy Birthday, Madame Chapeau.

I have seen and met lots of Swedish celebrities but not many international ones. I once visited a friend in LA and went on a tour at WB and John Spencer from The West Wing came out from the set and said hello to us. I was mostly excited we got to visit so many Gilmore Girls sets though and have a photo of myself next to Loreleis car. :pb_lol:

When I was little my class wrote letters to the author of a series of books we were reading and she answered us and we continued exchanging letters for a couple of years. She even made some of our suggestions happen in the books. Maybe it was just coincidental but we sure thought it was cool. Now I just think it’s so awesome she took the time to write to us. 

Didn't they just buy their house last year? And all that shelf-drama... I would be surprised if they relocated in the near future (especially with a newborn). But maybe it's not that unusual in the US. In Germany, when you buy a house, you're usually pretty much settled for the next decade(s).

I bet they'll be moving to LA.  They've visited there several times---as far as we know they haven't done the same with the Dallas campus.  Also, according to the Master's Seminary website, courses at the Dallas campus are significantly more expensive ($425 per unit vs. $280 per unit at the LA campus---with 98 units required, that adds up).  I can see JinJer really loving living in LA, and Jeremy is ambitious enough that he'll want to work with the big names at the main campus so he'll have a better chance of moving up the church hierarchy. The insta photo of the campus seems to suggest this too. 

I bet they'll rent out the house in Laredo.  It is confusing that they just put so much effort into that library for Jeremy, but maybe he thinks it's worth it if he does the program online for a year first. They'd probably move in the summer of next year, with a 1-year old. I have no evidence for this, but I'm betting their children won't come more frequently than every 2 years or so. Jeremy will probably also be working at the church, and I bet there will be some kind of rental housing available to them. I could see them both being very happy with that kind of life. Jinger would get her big city! 

44 minutes ago, DillyDally said:

Didn't they just buy their house last year? And all that shelf-drama... I would be surprised if they relocated in the near future (especially with a newborn). But maybe it's not that unusual in the US. In Germany, when you buy a house, you're usually pretty much settled for the next decade(s).

My sister & BIL had a custom built home, spent 5 months planning and building, spent $360K and moved 18 months later.  People do all kinds of stupid shit while seeking a job title or fame or what ever the hell Jeremy is after, My BIL is seeing the CIO title, so that explained his stupid life choices. 

So when Jeremy leaves the church even if it's for a foreseeable time, they do need a substitute preacher, won't they? So, Ben did some bible studies, if I remember correctly? Could this be an option or is my brain simply spinning around in crazy thoughts?! Ben could become some kind of stand-in preacher at Jeremy's church plant and move his little family away from the Duggar compound. I am naive, I know, but one can dream. 

28 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

So when Jeremy leaves the church even if it's for a foreseeable time, they do need a substitute preacher, won't they? So, Ben did some bible studies, if I remember correctly? Could this be an option or is my brain simply spinning around in crazy thoughts?! Ben could become some kind of stand-in preacher at Jeremy's church plant and move his little family away from the Duggar compound. I am naive, I know, but one can dream. 

They could move into J&J's home as well :my_biggrin:

14 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I think you're right, but to me it also seems like it's maybe hinting that they'll be moving there. Could be wishful thinking on my part, though (I can't help but celebrate when they move farther from the TTH). But it would probably be hard on Jinger having her first baby and being so far from both her family and Jeremy's. Dallas would seem to be a more practical choice, but I have no idea if the courses they offer there are compatible with Jeremy's program. Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough!

Jeremy's parents don't live in Texas either right? So she lives far from family anyway.

Could he take this class as an online course though? Or would he have to move?

15 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Is it also a Men's Seminary? I googled it and the first listing says " We train men because lives depend on it".

Are you asking if it is male-only? I assume so--none of these fundies would come within a mile of any denomination that believes in ordaining women.

The seminary thing is interesting and like someone said earlier I'm glad he is going. I really do think they don't really want to live near family and when they need to actually live near a campus they will go to LA. I say this because Jeremy could have gone to Westminster for his m-div and that would put them near his parents, and it just as much a respected institution than the one he is attending. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Could he take this class as an online course though? Or would he have to move?

The website says it's a 3-4 year program and you can do the first year online. 

I think that Jeremy is a very ambitious guy, and out of all the sons and sons-in-law, he's the only one whose ambition to get into ministry is actually realistic. Derick is a flaming bag of dog poop. Ben is earnest but I just don't think he has what it takes. Jeremy is smart (probably not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, but still smart), he's driven, he's good looking, stylish, and fairly charismatic. Being attached to the Duggar brand may be a bit of a liability for him, but it did succeed at getting him into the (evangelical) spotlight - not sure how he would've managed that otherwise.

Basically what I'm saying is that I agree with whoever suggested that he may be gunning for a leadership position within this church/movement. And if that's the case, it would make sense for them to move to the main campus.

So this for Jeremy seems like a real, accredited program. Derek is learning how to lead songs and bother people on the streets in foreign lands where he does not speak the language. 

So while I don’t agree with Jeremy’s ideas, at least he will be truly qualified to spout them at the unsuspecting people, and in a language he speaks. 

All mysterious to me as to how they afforded that house so soon when he is at a satellite church and can’t be making tons of money. But what do I know. 

4 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

So while I don’t agree with Jeremy’s ideas, at least he will be truly qualified to spout them at the unsuspecting people, and in a language he speaks. 

I see where you're coming from, but is this really a good thing?  He's actually going to win converts; Derdick isn't. 

1 minute ago, lumpentheologie said:

I see where you're coming from, but is this really a good thing?  He's actually going to win converts; Derdick isn't. 

Did I say it was a good thing?

Just now, lumpentheologie said:

You're right, it's not a good thing. I mean, it's better for Jeremy and Jinger's family unit, because they'll probably have a lot more stability and harmony. But for the world at large, it's not a positive thing.

11 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Did I say it was a good thing?

You were saying it was an improvement over Derick in the sense that Jeremy would at least be qualified/effective. That seems to be saying there's something good about it. 

I see it kind of like this: say I will have to be in a duel with Derick and Jeremy. Derick doesn't know how to use a gun at all, even though he thinks he does.  His gun will probably misfire and he'll hurt himself.  Jeremy thinks he's the best shooter in the world, and he isn't, but he's not horrible, and now he's joining the military.  I'm scared of Jeremy.  

1 minute ago, lumpentheologie said:

You were saying it was an improvement over Derick in the sense that Jeremy would at least be qualified. That seems to be saying there's something good about it. 

I see it kind of like this: say I will have to be in a duel with Derick and Jeremy. Derick doesn't know how to use a gun at all, even though he thinks he does.  His gun will probably misfire and he'll hurt himself.  Jeremy thinks he's the best shooter in the world, and he isn't, but he's not horrible, and now he's joining the military.  I'm scared of Jeremy.  

I don’t give a shit what they do for sure. Jeremy will look better and “shows” better. Derek is showing as “strange”.

That is my opinion. I am “unchurched” personally. 

I am a recovering escapee from these hipster mega-fundagelical churches so I am very conflicted about this. On the one hand, I am glad that Jeremy is putting in the actual effort to be a credentialed pastor. I never understood our fundies aversion to seminary. How is "hey any half-assed idiot off the streets can be a preacher" a good sell for being a preacher? On the other hand, John Macarthur runs in the same circles as John Piper, so yes a toxic cespool marketing itself as a mountain stream. 

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I think that Jeremy is a very ambitious guy, and out of all the sons and sons-in-law, he's the only one whose ambition to get into ministry is actually realistic. Derick is a flaming bag of dog poop. Ben is earnest but I just don't think he has what it takes. Jeremy is smart (probably not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, but still smart), he's driven, he's good looking, stylish, and fairly charismatic. Being attached to the Duggar brand may be a bit of a liability for him, but it did succeed at getting him into the (evangelical) spotlight - not sure how he would've managed that otherwise.

Basically what I'm saying is that I agree with whoever suggested that he may be gunning for a leadership position within this church/movement. And if that's the case, it would make sense for them to move to the main campus.

Agree -- I think Ben would be better suited working with youth in an already established church setting. Having ambitious friends like Jeremy could definitely work in Ben's favor.

16 minutes ago, Suz8710 said:

Agree -- I think Ben would be better suited working with youth in an already established church setting. Having ambitious friends like Jeremy could definitely work in Ben's favor.

I agree Ben could be a decent youth pastor. He just isn't suited to be the main pastor/preacher. Heck, if Ben were in a more moderate denomination, I would endorse him being a biblical counselor. He seems to have a tender heart and a listening ear. However, as long as he is some shade of fundie  then I fear what Bens biblical counseling would like. 

22 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I fear what Bens biblical counseling would like. 

‘Have you considered just doing whatever your husband says?’

Problems solved

Israel/Palestine crisis fixed. 

Even after years on FJ, I'm still fairly unfamiliar with the what is "good" evangelical christianity and "bad" evangelical christianity. I'm essentially a lifelong athiest (went through a few years of questioning), and to me it's hard to see any sort of religion fundamentally (hah) built around trying to convert others as "good," but at the same time, I realize that there are certainly significant numbers of evangelicals out there who take a "live and let live" approach, or better, do not interpret the bible to be misogynistic, homophobic, etc the way the Duggars and in-laws basically all do.

All of that said, people like me can have a hard time immediately seeing why a WASC-certified master's degree program ISN'T better than the Cross Church ministry program Derrick is in. 

I know this is a "slippery slope" fallacy but this thread still makes me wonder at what point do we start thinking it's just bad to be an evangelical Christian? If Jeremy's program admitted women would it be okay? If John MacArthur wasn't in charge would it be? These are rhetorical questions just because knowing these types of details are what help me, personally, assess Jeremy's intentions and outlook. Derrick appears dangerous superfically and easily, but it's honestly harder to get to the bottom of it with Jeremy (although it can obviously be done).

Obligatory "Jeremy is pretty evil and Derrick is ugly evil" note, but I'm just talking about ministry program choices here.

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived