IGNORED

Sister Wives 6: Five Adults or Are There? Mariah Is Engaged.

Coconut Flan

Regarding the last episode: “the prairie dogs have plague”. What?! My husband and I laughed so hard we cried. So bizarre. 

That’s all I wanted to add ?

• Haha 3

So we have the fourth trip to Flagstaff, if they didn’t have the move to FS there would be no story line. Meri tells us she and Kody visited FS 48 hours ago before the family trip to FS. Clearly they are excellent with time and money management. Oh and they are taking seven cars for their drive, and poor Kody has to by himself, because seriously who wants to drive with him? Not me! 

Robyn is disappointed Mindy isn’t moving to FS with them. Mindy has been in Las Vegas for the past six years since Sol was one. If I was Robyn I would be disappointed too, now she has to take responsibility for her children. No more built in baby sitter, and heavens knows her sister wives aren’t looking to take care of her children. 

They go to the Cottonwood property first. Robyn said it set off alarm bells. Both Robyn and Christine don’t like the steep dirt road. Robyn said when she lived in Montana she had to be evacuated for a forest fire, and this property reminds her of that. Tony does not like CW— who cares? Kody said the wind in the trees makes you feel calm, at peace, and connected to the earth and Almighty. Gwen said oh yeah because there is no wind in Las Vegas; she also tells her mother CW is ugly. Christine said well you only have to live here for three years. Shelbi, the realtor, asks if there will be four houses, or one big house, enough with this one house push. Janelle states she loves the trees, and wants to write a check to the realtor now before even seeing the other property. 

The group goes to Coyote Pass, and Janelle loves it even more than CW. The realtor says the kids shouldn’t be playing in the dirt because the prairie dogs have the plague. I don’t know anything about prairie dogs or their plague. CP is more expensive, and Kody says their would be less money for the houses. Kody is on the verge of a meltdown, and doesn’t want Janelle and Shelbi (realtor) to scare him on placing an offer, he wants it to be destiny. 

Kody three times in this episode goes out of his way to create drama. He says that Meri is looking at the property from a strictly emotional perspective, the other wives look at it from managing a household. I wish he would elaborate on this. Meri prefers CW, but said she will move to CP if that is what the group decides. Meri said she wishes they could wait to find a property they all love, but I think pigs would fly before that would happen.

A week after the FS visit they decide to put in an offer on Coyote Pass it has been on the market for a year. The adults are sitting together and Kody asks Meri her thoughts, Meri says ask Robyn, Robyn says you’re the first wife, Meri says you’re the legal wife, Robyn says gag me with a pitch fork when did legal status ever matter? Robyn said I know my place I’m number 4. I’m not buying it Robyn, no one believes you think of yourself as wife number four.  

Christine said we are a transient family, Robyn flips out and says you were a transient family, if we are moving this is the last time. Kody always the voice of reason said he didn’t marry a girl from his hometown, so as an adult he has never had roots. Christine also said one home is NEVER. GOING. TO. HAPPEN. Kody said he won’t discuss it now. 

Aspyn and Mitch got a kilt for Kody. They feel the need to again discuss if they are wearing underwear with the kilt because tradition is to not wear any. Yes, they will both wear undies. Kody hikes up his kilt to his hip to show off his leg— no one wants to see that. Christine and Maddie host Aspyn’s shower, and Maddie came up with the traveling theme, and she is traveling from Miss to Mrs. Aspyn does not want the move to FS discussed at her shower (the adults left shower prep to discuss the offer), and she doesn’t want it discussed her wedding weekend (next episode). 

The offer on Coyote Pass is countered. Kody said they offered 70% of the asking price, the counter was 85%. They accept the 85% counter, and say they can only put 10% down, the CC&R (regulations stipulated by seller) are removed, and the Browns are responsible for putting in utilities (an extra expense). So this move is not saving them any money for retirement. All the Browns met to discuss the final offer, Meri is asked by Kody to stay behind and talk one on one, but she isn’t in trouble. WTF? She isn’t a child. Second time Kody is creating drama he asks Meri if she understands why Cottonwood didn’t work out, and Kody said to Meri tell me why it didn’t work out. If I was Meri I would not appreciate the entire tone of the conversation. Meri said she understood Cottonwood required more work, clearing trees, and Kody needs to quit questioning her, she is moving with the family. Kody said Meri is dragging her feet, and if she was that wasn’t presented on the show. 

While the adults discuss the offer on Coyote Pass being accepted (right before Aspyn’s shower) Kody for the third time decides to create drama, and act like the reality of the move is just hitting him. He said he feels like a soldier going to war, which I imagine is very insulting to actual soldiers. He said he should be grateful for the opportunity, but is pissed at the responsibility. If you didn’t want the responsibility don’t marry four women and have 18 children. He doesn’t want to not be able to see all the kids every day, and he has fewer children to move more stuff this time around. All his wives seem over this conversation. Robyn said we have been discussing this for six months, and it is just hitting you now? I have trouble mustering up any sympathy for Kody. I would love to see their finances, because they bought the property in FS for $820,000, they are still paying the mortgages on three of the Las Vegas homes— I believe Robyn’s recently sold, the rentals (and Christine’s home) in FS are very expensive. Can they afford to start building without having sold all the Las Vegas homes? I know they aren’t exactly financial geniuses, but I don’t understand how they can afford their life style. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

It frustrated me that they refused to list their Las Vegas houses until after they’d moved. I understand it’s stressful to keep a home clean enough to show to prospective buyers and they’re on tv so they’d probably get people coming just to see their stuff, but still. They whined about the cost of rental properties and the land in Flagstaff and the mortgages on the Vegas houses, but they didn’t seem to be willing to inconvenience themselves in order to lessen the financial burden on their family. I have no sympathy for them.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, mstee said:

Regarding the last episode: “the prairie dogs have plague”. What?! My husband and I laughed so hard we cried. So bizarre. 

1 hour ago, HA88 said:

The realtor says the kids shouldn’t be playing in the dirt because the prairie dogs have the plague. I don’t know anything about prairie dogs or their plague.

Prairie dogs are know carriers of the plague aka Yersinia pestis aka "The Black Death." I don't know if you can catch it just from playing in the dirt but you can catch it from prairie dogs via their fleas. The US averages 7 cases a year, mostly in the west. It can be effectively treated with antibiotics but it can still be deadly if treatment isn't sought promptly. The last reported US deaths were in 2015.

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/resources/235098_Plaguefactsheet_508.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 6

Why did they decide to buy Christine’s house and just rent the others? Will she stay in that house after they build new homes for the others?

7 hours ago, Bethella said:

Prairie dogs are know carriers of the plague aka Yersinia pestis aka "The Black Death." I don't know if you can catch it just from playing in the dirt but you can catch it from prairie dogs via their fleas. The US averages 7 cases a year, mostly in the west. It can be effectively treated with antibiotics but it can still be deadly if treatment isn't sought promptly. The last reported US deaths were in 2015.

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/resources/235098_Plaguefactsheet_508.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html

Wait so they decided to buy the property where their kids can’t play on the ground because of the plague always being a concern?!  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 1

My favourite moment was when Kody was getting all angstsy about the move and Christine said “ I love you all but I have to get back to the shower “. She just shut down all the bullshit and left. I think it shocked Kody that the wives weren’t all comforting him.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, SisNancy said:

Wait so they decided to buy the property where their kids can’t play on the ground because of the plague always being a concern?!  

Once the houses are built they can take steps to control and/or eradicate the local pairie dog population. The rural areas of concern extend throughout the entire southwest (take a look at the map from the second link in my last post)

Edited by Bethella
Fucking autocorrect
  • Upvote 2

On 3/11/2019 at 7:32 PM, mstee said:

That’s all I wanted to add ?

From the Flagstaff newspaper 

https://azdailysun.com/lifestyles/columnists/setting-right-the-myths-about-prairie-dogs/article_33d16d05-88b9-5dfe-9921-e4b092f7d508.html

I actually think the realtor was trying to push for the cottonwood property with that comment.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

My favorite moment was Solomon and his kilt preferences. He was having none of that. I would have been the same way. All the kids speak their minds. That's for sure.

Especially when he said "I'm not a man, I'm a kid." Apparently when I was 2 or 3 some older lady looked at me and said "oh what a little lady"

I, being, a serious child, looked righf back and said "Im not a lady I'm a baby"

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

Per Mykelti's instagram she's quit her bank job to pursue the opportunity for wealth while living her best life with LuLaRoe. #ohdearwhy #wtfiswrongwithpeople #MLM #pyramidscheme #realjobsarebetter 

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 6

1 hour ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Per Mykelti's instagram she's quit her bank job to pursue the opportunity for wealth while living her best life with LuLaRoe. #ohdearwhy #wtfiswrongwithpeople #MLM #pyramidscheme #realjobsarebetter 

She loves clothes and is creative. There has to be a better outlet for her. Maybe less in S. Utah. But in Vegas? I just think of those paper flowers she made for her wedding. That's some labor. She could ne making showgirl outfits or something.... I dunno.

I wonder how often she and Tony butt heads. It is clear that they are both quite opinionated. And did anyone catch Christine's comment about how she loves babies but they have a "plan."

I believe Maddie and Caleb had one too.

Aspyn I think will be pregnant in a minute.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

snip

I wonder how often she and Tony butt heads. It is clear that they are both quite opinionated. And did anyone catch Christine's comment about how she loves babies but they have a "plan."

I believe Maddie and Caleb had one too.

Aspyn I think will be pregnant in a minute.

I saw that, but it sounded (or was worded) like Tony has a plan and Mykelti has no say. I do agree they are both opinionated, but I think Mykelti is more submissive than she comes off. I got that feeling with their wedding too.

Yes I do remember Maddie and Caleb saying they wanted to wait x (5?) amount of years to have a baby and then she was pregnant like a hot minute later. I think said something this season about wanting to wait and finish school and now she is pregnant again.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

In case anyone else caught the episode tonight....

Did you think that Kody set a new low with all the "Me Me Me Me Me" moments? He was strutting like the cock of the walk in that little shorty-much-too-short kilt. (Janelle was right.) Not to mention beating the bride & groom to the dance floor. Oy. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I think the wedding was sweet, aside from Kodies epic douchebaggery. It really seemed true to the bride and groom and their more laidback spirit. Seeing people on the dance floor makes this my favorite fundie wedding hands down, better than all the Duggar weddings hands down. 

• Upvote 4

I loved how she managed to wrangle all the shit she cared about, Mitch cared about and make it about her. No crafts, as few people as possible. Super pretty. Very nicely done,

Also, I will now apologize to Meri (only once). I was unkind when I initially saw her outfit. But, her hat didn’t go as she imagined. That’s fair. Totally fair. She had to reimagine her whole look last minute. No woman wants to do that (with a  hat) the night before a tv wedding. Dear rufus.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 2

The one time I actually agree with and feel for Meri - that hat was FUGLY. But I don't understand why she had to change her whole outfit, I guess her original dress didn't match the new hat?

• Upvote 1

I suspect she was trying match the angular lines of the hat with the pattern on her dress. The hat did look better after they worked on it. The cut of that dress is not one I would pick if I had her figure, but I think she looked fine. 

Clearly no one measured Kody's inseam before ordering his kilt. Either that or he had it up by his nipples. I wear mine a bit shorter than normal, but even I don't wear it that short.

I really thought the officiant was fucking with them about losing his voice until he was still whispering at the wedding. Poor guy.

• Upvote 3

I can sum up this episode in one sentence Aspyn and Mitch got married. 

Parents meet to discuss move to Flagstaff. They are having difficulty finding rentals, so Kody suggests they buy houses in Flagstaff, and then rent out those homes once they move into the houses they build— I don’t think they could manage that financially. Christine bought a three bedroom house on 2.5 acres very close to the land where they are building. Robyn is renting a 7 bedroom, 5.75 bathroom 6,800 sf home. Robyn prayed for a house with lots of bedrooms and bathroom, and feels this house is a miracle, and answer from God. Janelle got a furnished rental. Meri doesn’t have a rental lined up, wants to live downtown, is not in a rush to find a house, and Kody said she can’t do a small apartment or two bedroom home because her clothing business takes a lot of space. Kody said he feels he is on a psychic level like he is dragging Meri along. Aspyn doesn’t want the stress of the move discussed over her wedding weekend. Aspyn and Mitch will move back to Utah once Aspyn finishes school. Christine is glad to have a break from the moving conversation because they have been discussing it for years. So clearly when Kody presented the move to his wives it was for the cameras. Since moving back to UT is not an option, and they likely won’t be able to find a polygamous community Kody said they might as have better scenery— clearly that is a solid reason to move. 

Janelle said Kody gave her permission to not caravan to Utah for the wedding, so she is happy. Kody takes that to mean she fantasizes being a monogamous, and Janelle said no I just like my independence. I agree with Janelle caravanning is not a way I would want to travel. Kody claims to have friends that ask him does he wish he could reign his wives in, and have some more control. Really Kody? Someone actually asked you that? 

Mitch shows Christine the marriage certificate. Aspyn is sad her mom can’t get a marriage certificate, and is not sure where she stands on it (assuming she means plural marriage) being legal, but feels it shouldn’t be a criminal act. They said some plural families have no one get a legal marriage certificate, and it seemed like they meant it was done this way to avoid tangoing or drawing attention from the law. Christine said this type of wedding (Aspyn’s) is new to her because polygamous weddings are typically small and private. Christine you went to Maddie and Mykelti’s weddings, you are still new to this wedding concept? 

Mitch’s mom, Hannah, made and shows the mom’s the hats. Janelle, Robyn and Christine all like theirs. Meri is not happy with her hat, and Hannah makes modifications. Several of Hannah’s daughters including Vanessa Alldredge from Seeking Sister Wife wore hats to the wedding. 

Mitch said he didn’t see any of Aspyn’s siblings living plural marriage, and Aspyn agreed. Aspyn felt that she and her siblings were a product of their environment (Las Vegas), and it was less likely to practice plural marriage if you aren’t living in that community. Aspyn and Mitch discuss if they would practice plural marriage, and Mitch said definitely not. Aspyn said if it was to happen it would be up to her, and she said maybe in 20 years, if it happens, then she said no it won’t happen. This interview made it look like neither wanted to live plural marriage. 

The rehearsal dinner was immediate family, and still had nearly 50 people. 

Kody did Truely’s hair for the wedding, and made it quite a production. He said Robyn and Maddie showed him how to do his hair because he has been having a bad hair year, not just a bad hair day. He also said he wears a beard so people don’t mistake him for a woman when he is driving around Vegas in a convertible with his long flowing locks. The black velvet scrunchie he wears for his man bun is my favorite. While packing the car for the wedding Kody said he needs a lot of clothes because he changes his outfit three times a day. 

The guys (including Kody) are getting ready in the honeymoon cottage on La Caille’s property. Aspyn and Mitch will spend the night in the cottage. Kody said something to the effect of don’t touch the sacred bed, which was just weird. Kody was acting like it was his wedding day. Once again he said traditionally men don’t wear underwear under the kilt, but he is wearing underwear and shows us. How is this modest? I agree with Janelle Kody’s kilt was a little on the short side. 

Aspyn is happy there are no crafts or set up like Maddie and Mykelti’s wedding, all they have to do is show up. There will be no ring exchange during the ceremony. Instead they will do a handfasting. The officiant wraps a piece of tartan around their hands, Apsyn said it is new and uncommon and symbolizes a long marriage and unity. They are writing their own vows. The wedding is on Father’s Day. The wedding officiant is Nathan, Meri’s brother is law, and Kody’s best friend. Nathan lost his voice, and can barely whisper. Aspyn originally wanted to elope, just Mitch, a wedding officiant and her, but they did the big wedding. Since Nathan could barely whisper it was as if they had a private ceremony because the audience couldn’t hear. All of Aspyn’s siblings were able to attend the wedding, and Aspyn was happy they did the big wedding. About 150 people were invited to the ceremony and dinner reception, and more people (up to 400) were invited for snacks and dancing I guess. Aspyn smashed some cake in Mitch’s face, and smeared frosting, so he kissed her and smeared some onto her. Aspyn clearly is like her mother with the facial expressions, and fake shocked reaction. 

Kody danced with Hannah (Mitch’s mom) at the reception, but there was no dance off. It was clear Hannah is an experienced dancer, and Kody was glad there was no dance off because Hannah knows how to dance, the high elevation, and he has bad knees. Luckily Kody did not rip Aspyn’s arm out of the socket during the father/daughter dance. 

Mitch had an interview by himself, and he said Aspyn brings him out his shell, and he seemed genuine and very happy. I think in the past interviews he has been a little stiff, not very comfortable in front of the camera, and came off kind of harsh, but has loosened up a bit, and appears happy and in love with Aspyn. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

I oscillate on Mitch, but I'm starting to think that what I'm seeing isn't a mismatch so much as it's a sense of humor that doesn't read well on camera.  And I think some of Aspyn's reactions are also camera-centered.  I think some of her discomfort was less with what Mitch was saying, but more with how she knew it would read on camera.  

Aspyn is VERY intuitive and VERY aware of how the show works.   We've seen her do live reads of storylines and edits in the moment, and that is very impressive.  But I think it backfires on her in interviews because when Mitch, who is unpracticed and not able to project a specific image like Aspyn can personally, does something in front of the camera that she knows will be edited poorly or will not read well on the show, she reacts with embarrassment.  Because he is embarrassing her.  But this in itself is so meta (he's embarrassing her by acting a way that is not embarrassing in the moment but will be embarrassing in the future when the footage is played on the show but she knows it now so he's embarrassing her now), that you don't even think of it so it seems like what he is saying is really upsetting to her.  

I think Aspyn chose a man with a bit of Kody's boneheadedness because she does want someone who is a bit like her dad.  She likes how that is in person, but she doesn't like how it reads on camera sometimes.  And because she's very intelligent and hyperaware of the cameras, she can react sometimes to how she knows things will read and not necessarily what is happening in the moment, which is not what we as the viewers expect, and sometimes this can cause us to misread her reactions.  

This post is way too complex for this show.  What am I doing with my life and why is this where I spend my time?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

@Georgiana I agree about Aspyn seeming uncomfortable, but I notice she gets an excited-nervous energy on camera. Almost like she's self conscious about being in love, which is kind of cute. 

• Upvote 1

One more kind of nice thing about Meri. It does seem like now (then) they were just being a tad intense with her.

After all the bs... She didn't up and run away. So she agreed to flagstaff and for once in seemingly a long time it appeared she'd actually sided with kody about the property. But, she was practical and conceded. I thought, given how much they'd moved, saying that she was going was fine.

Then she wants to rent downtown in an apartment. Let her do it!!! Ffs. Give her some space to try and work in the situation. Maybe she can find a way to be there and happy. For her and Kody (note - I don't really think this) exiting the bad memories of Vegas is their only shot.

All of their approaches to houses were so characteristic.

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic