IGNORED

Sister Wives 6: Five Adults or Are There? Mariah Is Engaged.

Coconut Flan

Yeah, if Meri and Kody aren't going to discuss the part they each played in the catfish thing then there's really no point in continuing to talk about it. It's been years. Meri knows full well she's not a total victim, which is why she keeps trying to convince everyone else she is. She doesn't trust any of the parents anymore because she doesn't trust herself, and it shows.

Kody really annoyed me about the surgery thing. I get not wanting to get surgery for your child, but knowing that she wants it, then pinning her down like that just rubbed me wrong. She knows he's against it, and she wants to please him, so of course she said she didn't want it. I'm glad she doesn't need it yet. I hope she's able to make her own decision when the time comes.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

In other news - I went looking for Logan and his Christine on instagram (handle forgotten but if you google logan brown tv it pops up) They have been engaged now since summer of 2017 and appear to be blissfully cohabitating in Vegas. I think they may have originally said separate rooms. I wonder how that’s going.

Looks like she got an MA in criminal justice. He is very buff. They drink. Cute kitty. He is supportive with pics of all family down to little Ariella.

She commented no date yet about a wedding.

I hope they allow all the kids agency about appearing. It’s what I thought up till this Ysabel thing. But, perhaps that has just turned for the unpleasant and they are filming that too.

• Upvote 3

To me, an engagement with no date, after two years, is just for show. Logan and Christine don't want to get married, and separate rooms don't mean much. Good for them for living their lives the way they want to.

• I Agree 8

RE: Ysabel's scoliosis, I can't say how much I dislike this story line. Of course, I can't say anything specifically about her situation, but sometimes surgery is truly the best course of action for scoliosis. And there's nothing wrong with that. There's an In Touch article written about it called "This Is How ‘Sister Wives’ Star Ysabel Brown Bravely Fought Back Against Her Scoliosis" and it rubs me the wrong way. I fought back against my scoliosis, too--with surgery. And I was brave about it. And there's nothing lacking in me because I had surgery. Ysabel may very well have to have surgery in the future, and all Cody is doing is making it this big, scary, horrible, terrible thing that's going to add to her fear and anxiety. Way to go, asshole. 

ETA: He says that he doesn't consider the scoliosis to be a self-confidence issue. I can say in all honestly that my scoliosis destroyed my self-esteem and my body image. Anytime you have a disfiguring condition as an adolescent, it's going to warp your confidence. And as a teenage girl? No. Body image issues are hard enough if you have a typical body, let alone one with scoliosis. Even after my surgery, I was teased. Cody has no idea what he's talking about, and more alarmingly, seems to have no empathy or understanding about the situation. He sucks so hard. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 17

My best friend should have had that surgery when young and didn’t. She Suffered harshly in her fifties , was bent over and living on pain pills.  She had surgery at the Back Clinic, four surgeons and a 14 hour operation.  She came to my house for her recovery and it was rough but good.  Two years later and she is a new person, they truely gave her life back to her.  She was so brave and I love her like a sister.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

I knew a woman through my worksplace who had scoliosis and her back was curved so severely that she could no longer walk. Her lung collapsed in the night and she ended up passing away. She was in her early forties and did have other ailments. So  that’s an extreme, highly unusual, and awful case, but scoliosis isn’t just a cosmetic thing, Kody Brown. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

In addition to the curve, one of the big reasons I had the surgery was because my left lung was essentially getting "squeezed" by my rib cage. I still have trouble with that side. Scoliosis can hurt your heart and lungs. I dunno, I think it's better to err on the side of early surgical intervention rather than wait. It is, admittedly, a very tough surgery, but it's easier to bounce back as a teenager than an older person. Cody is allowing his (entirely reasonable, but poorly managed) fear to run this show, and it's not okay. 

ETA: In the clip I saw, he said that he didn't want to go back to the orthopedist's office because "all they do is talk about surgery." Yeah, dude, they're trying to give you reasons to stop being a complete dingus and let your kid get surgery.

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

I haven't seen the episode but I'm taking you fine posters at your word. Wow, just wow. Cody really is just a clueless, self-centered twit. Especially as I could totally see Cody's prissy behind bitching, moaning, and taking to the fainting couch if he had so much as a hangnail. Jerk. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I don't have a great memory of this show, but surely she wouldn't be the first kid in this huge-ass family to have some sort of surgery, right?

Edited by ViolaSebastian

Okay, so after viewing the whole show and not just a clip, I am disgusted to say that I think Cody's aversion to surgery is based on concern for Ysabel's sexual attractiveness. He describes her as being "a beautiful person inside and out" and his issues with the surgery are that she'll have a scar and that the titanium rods were "really messing with him." This isn't about fear over surgical complications, poor outcome, or seeing his daughter in pain. This is completely about her visual appearance. 

Cody needs serious, serious help. Ysabel is more than just her appearance and her attractiveness to men. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Okay, so after viewing the whole show and not just a clip, I am disgusted to say that I think Cody's aversion to surgery is based on concern for Ysabel's sexual attractiveness. He describes her as being "a beautiful person inside and out" and his issues with the surgery are that she'll have a scar and that the titanium rods were "really messing with him." This isn't about fear over surgical complications, poor outcome, or seeing his daughter in pain. This is completely about her visual appearance. 

Cody needs serious, serious help. Ysabel is more than just her appearance and her attractiveness to men. 

This!!!! My default response to 99.9% of the things Cody says is to roll my eyes, but even though he was being petulant about the surgery I was trying very hard to chalk it up to fear and concern for Ysabel's health.  Then he pulled out that bullshit and it completely skeeved me out. His attitude to women is just so unhealthy, and I'm honestly bothered by the fact that he's raising eleventy children who might see any of this as normal.

Also, I am very excited to have found this thread, no one in my world watches this train wreck!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

This!!!! My default response to 99.9% of the things Cody says is to roll my eyes, but even though he was being petulant about the surgery I was trying very hard to chalk it up to fear and concern for Ysabel's health.  Then he pulled out that bullshit and it completely skeeved me out. His attitude to women is just so unhealthy, and I'm honestly bothered by the fact that he's raising eleventy children who might see any of this as normal.

Also, I am very excited to have found this thread, no one in my world watches this train wreck!

Ugh, right?! At first I thought his fear was reasonable, because what (typical, healthy) person wouldn't be worried about his kid having major surgery? But the *only* fears he expressed were about her looks--and let's face it, outside of swimsuits and the occasional low-back dress or halter top, the only time another person is going to see your naked backside and care about its attractiveness is sexy-time. And like you, his attitude gives me the creeps. Her kid is likely having migraines from her scoliosis and all he can care about is her physical worth to future random dudes who may see her without a top on. He doesn't seem to see that she's suffering psychologically because he's so blinded by what *he* would find attractive in a woman. He is such a creep. I can't express how gross all this is to me as someone who's had the surgery Ysabel may be facing.

And dude, I've found plenty of men who thought I was perfectly attractive enough for all the normal purposes, even with my curve and my scar. Some even thought my scar was sexy, so ?‍♀️

• Upvote 10

Mariah and Audrey are engaged. Mariah proposed to Audrey at the women’s march in DC in January. She said that the women’s march in 2017 was one of the first places they went after they started dating so the event holds special meaning for them. The article says they’re “taking their time when it comes to wedding plans.”

https://people.com/tv/sister-wives-mariah-brown-engaged-audrey-kriss/?fbclid=IwAR0-Ozh5NjSg-FY6O9fIpDjvg3cpgCVG7bHNjeGkXbd8Tvke6Rp3Ki-ugAs

• Upvote 4
  • Love 12

On 1/21/2019 at 3:59 PM, samurai_sarah said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think that's precisely what Kody did. But in their faith, this is also what the women have to do. As a woman it is your duty to build up your husband's kingdom.  Don't believe me, look it up. It's in "Doctrines and Covenants". https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132?lang=eng

That's a church site. And so is this: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/od/1?lang=eng

Exactly.  The Morman church teaches that even in a monogamous marriage, a woman can't get to their version of the afterlife without a husband to help her "cross the veil ".   

There was a show about polygamist mormons living in a community in Utah literally at/in a giant rock. They spoke very openly about this and how the point of polygamy is not only to build your own kingdom on Earth in preparation for your personal kingdom in the afterlife, but to learn how to handle unconditionally loving many, as God does. 

• Upvote 3

Kody really has an asshole and Christine is a wimp. Nobody mentioned that  they need to buy new houses wherever they go, and markets may be up there, consuming whatever profits they make by leaving LV. Those poor kids, he doesn't give a damn about them. Kody really gets on my nerves. Dismantling one household is a big disruption, let alone four of them. He needs to sit his ass down somewhere.

They move way too damn much! Kody has wanderlust, which would be fine if he was single.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

Such hypocrites! Modesty for the girls, shacking up for the boys. I don't care for men dictating women's attire including wedding dresses.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I just can't with Christine. Stage in Vegas? Sell, rent, then move? It's crazy! This is just Kody's way of swinging his dick around. Nobody told him to have babies when he was damn near 50.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

55 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Kody really has an asshole and Christine is a wimp. Nobody mentioned that  they need to buy new houses wherever they go, and markets may be up there, consuming whatever profits they make by leaving LV. Those poor kids, he doesn't give a damn about them. Kody really gets on my nerves. Dismantling one household is a big disruption, let alone four of them. He needs to sit his ass down somewhere.

They move way too damn much! Kody has wanderlust, which would be fine if he was single.

This gets me too. Moving is hell of a lot of work. But let’s face it, Kody will do exactly zero of it. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

They had no reason to move other than that Kody wanted to move. He’s such a selfish ass. I get that families move all the time and kids adjust, but why put your family through that for no good reason? No religious persecution like when they left Utah, no new job in a different city, just uproot your kids and wives on a whim and claim it’s what’s best for your family. Ugh. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Where we of one, we all go.....my thoughts, yes I jotted them down during the show 

Kody stated he wants to prove he isn't insane to move with his presentation. I would not find that to be a strong argument. He states they would move for financial stability. Is he saying without saying if they don't create new and exciting (usually that word liberally) storylines they will lose their show, and source of income?

Move where? Kody really wants to move to Utah and become a politician. Does he think that is really attainable? Kody states he is the leader, and his wives need to follow. He claims the women married him because he is a leader. Kody feels they should move because he has received that insight through prayer, and that is not prideful. So God is telling him or leading him to move the family? This isn't just a desire of Kody's it is what God wants? At least that is how I understood it. They rarely discuss their religion, so it was interesting to hear them reference it. 

Christine doesn't want to rock the boat, and ruin her relationship with Kody by not being on board with moving. I remember several seasons back Christine saying she and Kody had gone through a really tough time, and she was so glad they were past it. I wonder if Christine doesn't agree with or support Kody if he freezes her out, treats her poorly, and makes her feel like she has to go along with his ideas to be in his good graces. Christine prayed and fasted three days, arrived at the conclusion she should stay behind in Vegas with her children for a year because Gwen was elected class treasurer the following school year. Kody said no, you are not staying behind.  

So wait actually they have been discussing moving for two years. At the time of being filmed/interviewed it is March and they are going to move somewhere the place TBD in five months, before the start of the next school year. 

Meri and Kody moved from UT to WY to MT and back to WY. In WY Kody married Janelle and then Christine, they all moved to UT which was three moves (perhaps all rentals?), then back to WY, then UT married Robyn, two moves that time, and now in Las Vegas which was two moves. Are they nomads? 

The wives go to Seattle, and Kody is left to take care of his children-- what a crazy concept! Don't worry he will have help. There are only three young children Truly, Solomon and Ari, everyone is older and more self sufficient. Mindy is staying at Robyn's (hasn't she lived there for years), so she'll be in charge of two of the little kids. Sol's bedtime is 9:30, and according to Kody Ari's witching hour is 10-midnight. Isn't that awful late for children's bedtimes?

Christine comments she can't imagine having children while living in an apartment is a bigger city like Hannah (Aspyn's future mother in law) did while raising her children as a single mother. Plenty of parents live in apartments in big cities I don't understand Christine's confusion. 

Janelle said yes she would recommend plural marriage if you felt called to it like she did, but said the first 5, 10, maybe 20 years will not be great, and if someone tells you they're great they are lying. She was not happy for many years in her marriage. 

I think consenting adults should be able to love and marry as they see fit, that said I don't think any of the wives or Kody has made plural marriage look desirable. If fact with how they all speak of it they seem to argue against it. 

Edited by HA88
Clarification
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1

When Princess Eugenie (Queen’s granddaughter) got married she deliberately chose a low-backed (ish) dress so that it showed her scoliosis surgery scar. She’s still pretty, it didn’t do her any harm in the romance department! She got the surgery done when she was 12.

Kody is just an asshole. I know little about Sister Wives but I know enough to know that much. 

(Photo of Eugenie/scar under spoiler)

Spoiler

A4E8012A-C525-4339-BC27-EE40FD39A689.jpeg.36571f91df63c23d8a5f32145005fcab.jpeg

Janelle would recommend plural marriage even though it’s shit for the first several years? Yeah, fuck that. How the hell is that a recommendation?? 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

17 hours ago, HA88 said:

Janelle said yes she would recommend plural marriage if you felt called to it like she did, but said the first 5, 10, maybe 20 years will not be great, and if someone tells you they're great they are lying. She was not happy for many years in her marriage. 

Hey, you'll only be unhappy for 20 years, why not?!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

I think Robyn is more behind the move than she is letting on.  I think she's discussed it with Kody more than the others (she certainly wasn't blindsided), and I don't think it is an accident that the move is suddenly being pushed at a time when it is MOST convenient for her family.  

I think that unlike the other mothers, Robyn really does want her children to live the plural lifestyle.  I've felt for a while that she's not wholly comfortable with the secular influence of Las Vegas on the family, and I think she blames it for none of the elder Brown children wanting plural marriages.  Where the other wives see LV as a place that has allowed them and their children to blossom and grow, Robyn sees the increased acceptance of the mainstream community as threatening since it allows the kids to "belong" outside their isolated community.  I think she wants to move and use the move as a catalyst to allow her to reset things and better isolate her kids to influence them into making plural marriages and staying in the fold.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic