IGNORED

Sister Wives 6: Five Adults or Are There? Mariah Is Engaged.

Coconut Flan

I've heard about this show via my Mom for the last few years, but just started watching this season.  I know the wives have various businesses, but can anyone tell me what Kody does for a living?  Thanks!

• Haha 2

I've heard about this show via my Mom for the last few years, but just started watching this season.  I know the wives have various businesses, but can anyone tell me what Kody does for a living?  Thanks!

He is a professional charlatan.
  • Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

Good Grief- as someone who moved two weeks before the start of her senior year of high school (I knew the move was coming - that doesn't make the reality easier) - I really feel for Gabriel in this.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

So the houses take a while to build, right? And they're renting in Flagstaff in the meantime?

Genius idea: rent in Las Vegas while the houses are being built and let the "triplets" finish up school. Did none of the 5 adults think of this?

What made me angriest is how Cody talked about how his wives were being patronizing in disagreeing with him and bringing up valid points. He gets to force what he wants on everyone and be super condescending about it, then cry about being patronized??? Nah uh.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 10

Kody's hair is getting out of hand and so is his ego. I agree that Robyn wanted to move too because it wouldn't affect her kids. There's so much under the words that they say, that it's like some of it is written in invisible ink. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Why rent in Vegas - the houses they own aren't exactly selling so they have real estate more or less sitting empty while they rent elsewhere.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

What I read somewhere on the internet was that the real reason for location and timing was that Robyn wanted to be near Day'un as he started college at NAU.  

• Upvote 8

54 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Genius idea: rent in Las Vegas while the houses are being built and let the "triplets" finish up school. Did none of the 5 adults think of this?

They said if they didn't move before of the start of the triplets junior year it would be five more years until they didn't have a kid entering the senior year. I believe Savannah (Janelle) and Breanna (Robyn) are the same grade, and then there is a six year break until the next child Truely (Christine's). I don't see the show holding on for another five years, they needed new story lines, and this was the best, perhaps least worst time for a move. 

5 hours ago, suglo said:

He is a professional charlatan.

He really is! When the show first started nearly a decade ago I think he sold signs, and then he was involved with an MLM. Other than sister wives I don't know what he does for work. 

I wish they would do more of an update on the older kids (that wish to be discussed on the show. I enjoyed the Mariah/Audrey update. What do Mitch and Aspyn do for work/school? Do they plan to stay in Vegas after the family moves? What do Mykelti and Tony do, where do they live? I would prefer that to Christine and Meri having a very staged conversation. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/02/sister-wives-meri-brown-renting-mansion-arizona-amid-marital-problems-kody-brown/?fbclid=IwAR0brqo5xfZMY6Aj1MPER1ImidTLk1Lb82u9Rx9ajoT4_RZPOsknZ-JARNg

Remember in Kody's presentation when the move was supposed to provide financial stability? Meri's rental is a $860,000 4/5 (bedroom/bathroom) 4,200sf home that cost $2,975 a month. Robyn's 7 bedroom rental is a $1.3 million house, renting at $3,500 a month. Christine bought a 3/2 for $520,000. Janelle is paying $2900 a month to rent a $374,000 3/2.5. How come Meri pays an extra $75 dollars a month more than Janelle for a house 2.5x expensive, and has an additional bedroom, and at least two more bathrooms? I don't see how they can afford this. The land in Flagstaff cost $820,000, the homes in Vegas haven't sold, now they have to shell out money to build on top of these expensive rentals. 

Edited by HA88
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF 12

20 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Yeah, screw the kids' needs, there's pine trees!

Does he plan on making the kids collect pine nuts? Oddly, that money making opportunity pops up frequently polygamist memoirs.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, HA88 said:

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/02/sister-wives-meri-brown-renting-mansion-arizona-amid-marital-problems-kody-brown/?fbclid=IwAR0brqo5xfZMY6Aj1MPER1ImidTLk1Lb82u9Rx9ajoT4_RZPOsknZ-JARNg

Remember in Kody's presentation when the move was supposed to provide financial stability? Meri's rental is a $860,000 4/5 (bedroom/bathroom) 4,200sf home that cost $2,975 a month. Robyn's 7 bedroom rental is a $1.3 million house, renting at $3,500 a month. Christine bought a 3/2 for $520,000. Janelle is paying $2900 a month to rent a $374,000 3/2.5. How come Meri pays an extra $75 dollars a month more than Janelle for a house 2.5x expensive, and has an additional bedroom, and at least two more bathrooms? I don't see how they can afford this. The land in Flagstaff cost $820,000, the homes in Vegas haven't sold, now they have to shell out money to build on top of these expensive rentals. 

Strange that Christine bought a house when all the others are renting, and then she also bought a parcel of land.

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, HA88 said:

Wow, so Christine has more kids still at home and yet is fine with a 3 bedroom, while Meri, an empty nester, once again has an unnecessarily gigantic home with 5 bedrooms? I'm sure she once again played that whole "I shouldn't be punished for only having 1 kid and deserve an equally large house" card which is such dog crap.

It was telling in the last episode that Christine was excited to downsize and Cody said something like, "I have 2 wives who will not be willing to get rid of things". Meri and...Janelle? I can't tell who the second would be but we all know Meri is the first.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

Wow, so Christine has more kids still at home and yet is fine with a 3 bedroom, while Meri, an empty nester, once again has an unnecessarily gigantic home with 5 bedrooms? I'm sure she once again played that whole "I shouldn't be punished for only having 1 kid and deserve an equally large house" card which is such dog crap.

It was telling in the last episode that Christine was excited to downsize and Cody said something like, "I have 2 wives who will not be willing to get rid of things". Meri and...Janelle? I can't tell who the second would be but we all know Meri is the first.

My money is on Robyn, she seems to have a lot of stuff anytime they show her house. 

I really, honestly feel for Gabriel. He was so well reasoned and eloquent in his objections, and honestly he's right. In a family that badly needs scholarships just due to sheer number of potential students, it really is short sighted to move him and risk losing any connections he's been building. So many highschool aged kids study abroad or take advantage of chances to live away from home, I don't understand why they can't arrange for him to stay in Vegas and finish. After all, they've got a cul de sac full of empty real estate...

This show is so frustrating, it's just a festival of poor decisions and drama, and it's on an endless loop. I was half watching last night and it felt like every time I looked up it was the same. Damn. Conversation.  And I know the show has always been repetitive and about 90 minutes too long, but this is getting out of control.  I can already predict next week's episode: Kody goes to Flagstaff eleventy more times, each time with a plan to manipulate another wife. Oh no! Meri isn't on board! But no one cares! They buy more property than they can use or afford. They are all still upset about the catfishing.  Kody's hair gets stupider. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

Wow. The fact that Meri has a house bigger than both Janelle and Christines... 

I think Janelle is close to empty nesting though? I think she has two kids at home now but will need an extra bedroom or two for her older kids visiting. Christine currently has three at home. (Thanks wikipedia!) 

I feel like the smart thing to do would be for most of the family to be in smaller homes and then one of the wives have a bigger home that could be the "family" home.. where they have events and such. Robyn having 7 bedrooms makes sense because she still has 5 kids at home. But Meri with a 5 bedroom? 

My husband and I are beginning to look at buying a new house as we're going to have to relocate due to his job and our 1700 sq ft house is currently a little too big for us. We are looking into a 2500-2700 square foot house purely because we are starting to have kids and don't want to move again unless we have to... and with us having kids I know we are going to get more visitors. The thought of adding that much room to my house kinda intimidates me TBH. I couldn't imagine moving into a 4200 square foot house... keeping it clean? Yuck.

• Upvote 9

I think it's Robin that is the second wife that won't let go of stuff - 7 bedrooms.  She doesn't have that many kids.  

• Upvote 4

My husband and I are in a 1200 square foot condo apartment. Other than wishing we had a basement for a little more storage, it's the right amount of house for us, and when we hopefully add a kid or two, we have room. I can't imagine having three times as much space to clean, heat and cool, and just deal with, honestly. Meri is nuts wanting that much house.

• Upvote 10

11 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I think it's Robin that is the second wife that won't let go of stuff - 7 bedrooms.  She doesn't have that many kids.  

She has five kids - and she always has had a nanny, so nanny needs a bedroom, too.    Beats me how my five kids managed in three bedrooms.   They must make  butt load of money from the tv show and whatever appearances they do.  Are they even pretending to sell jewelry anymore or is that long gone? 

I can't figure out for the life of me why Meri is still there when she has an option.  I sure wouldn't be, if I was as miserable as she comes across.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

I really suspect that Kody wants to relocate to have fodder for more episodes of the show. That, and not wanting his family cult to develop too strong a connection with the larger community. When he admitted that housing would cost more for less in Flagstaff, that blew up his rationale for moving. This is literally an ego trip for him. No way I would uproot my home and family for this nonsense. Even stalwart Janelle caved. Ugh, the passivity.

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

I really, honestly feel for Gabriel. He was so well reasoned and eloquent in his objections, and honestly he's right.

Me too, nobody gives a damn about unnecessarily disrupting that child's life and stability. Janelle's "but we can play outside" was a really lame response. She should let him stay with Maddie. Selfish.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

The Browns have gone Hollywood with their homes, and moving to Arizona didn't change that. Meri thinks she is the star of the family, and uses luxury housing to compensate for not having a bunch of children. They obviously pull in big bucks from the show, no way could they afford those houses on their little business ventures alone. I like nice finishes but look to downsize in retirement, more space, more furnishing, cleanings, and higher utilities. Don't need or want it.

• Upvote 3

I think Kody has huge fears of the lure of worldly attractions for his children much the same way Jim Bob Duggar does. Now, his children are nowhere near as sheltered or undereducated as Jim Bob's which is great. However, that means it's harder for him than for Jim Bob to exert ongoing control over his children. I do think it's all about control and image for Kody at the end of the day. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, SweetLaurel said:

She has five kids - and she always has had a nanny, so nanny needs a bedroom, too.    Beats me how my five kids managed in three bedrooms.   They must make  butt load of money from the tv show and whatever appearances they do.  Are they even pretending to sell jewelry anymore or is that long gone? 

I can't figure out for the life of me why Meri is still there when she has an option.  I sure wouldn't be, if I was as miserable as she comes across.  

I get most of my information from here and I don't usually watch the show besides clips, so this is news to me. But WTAF, a woman with essentially three built-in nannies and acknowledged financial problems has a nanny????

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

I mean are they  "one, big happy family" or aren't they? I was shocked at how the wives just couldn't imagine living together under one roof. Um, that's kind of what one big, happy, family does.  Earth to the Sister Wives family: it's reasons like this and not government persecution that make polygamy unfathomable to most people. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I mean are they  "one, big happy family" or aren't they? I was shocked at how the wives just couldn't imagine living together under one roof. Um, that's kind of what one big, happy, family does.  Earth to the Sister Wives family: it's reasons like this and not government persecution that make polygamy unfathomable to most people. 

They seemed to do OK in their plyg house back in Utah when it was just the three wives. Robin changed everything.

They are indeed one big family, but happy? Not so much.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Thank you,@SilverBeach. The last two episodes are the 1st I have watched of this family so I appreciate the background information. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic