IGNORED

Dillards 54: Fantasyland Where Reality Isn't Required

Coconut Flan

38 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I was really “triggered” when I saw the poor PEEPS after having been put in the microwave. So sad. But, to compensate, I got some great cookies at Wegmans yesterday so I am eating some of those. Clearly I am a real health nut. Perhaps.......

Wegmans rules.  That is all.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

This takes the cake! The Baptist missionary group is posing right in front of a Catholic Church! Not just any Catholic Church but a Basilica!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Our_Lady_of_Zapopan

0ED4E351-A980-4F10-ACC6-8F6351046031.jpeg

I have an urge to stand in front of them and wave a statue of the Virgin Mary or one of the Saints. 

Just now, libgirl2 said:

I have an urge to stand in front of them and wave a statue of the Virgin Mary or one of the Saints.  You can't get more Catholic than a church for "Our Lady of....." 

27 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

The Dillards are currently losing that Tuttle Twins contest, so Derick had to do some more advertising.

The negative commenters have a point. The rest of the contestants actually made the effort to take a decent photo, but Jill and Derick think they deserve to win with a half-assed blurry selfie? Come on. 

They really have no shame. 

The picture in front of the church didn’t bother me because, as a Catholic, I only noticed the church itself. It looks like it is looms over them. They cannot outshine it. I do love old school Catholic Churches/basilicas.  It’s why I want to go to Italy just to visit the churches. 

I do wonder how you try to poach Mexican Catholics while surrounded by Our Lady of Guadalupe pictures/statutes. I would imagine they are all over the place. I imagine they are not too successful at their pursuits. 

2 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I do wonder how you try to poach Mexican Catholics while surrounded by Our Lady of Guadalupe pictures/statutes. I would imagine they are all over the place. I imagine they are not too successful at their pursuits. 

There are a number of interesting studies about the rise of Protestantism in Hispanic communities, but I feel pretty confident that no one the Dullards meet on this missioncation is going to attracted to the white Jesus brand of evangelicalism they’re trying to sell. To be a successful missionary, you have to show some interest in the people and culture in which you have immersed yourself. The Dullards don’t speak Spanish, have no knowledge of Hispanic cultures (I doubt they know that Mexican and El Salvadoran cultures are quite different), and look down on anyone who isn’t exactly like them. That Derick would do street evangelism in English in culture where the majority language is Spanish and expect to see results illustrates how deluded and incompetent he is. The real point of this missioncation is to score a low cost trip to a sunny locale while convincing oneself that one is actually doing something important.

It looks like Sammy is wearing a Row vs Wade t shirt. Seriously? Jill was going to abort him, but Jesus stepped in and showed her the error of her ways? The Duggars have a right not to believe in abortion. They don't have the right to stop others from doing something which is legal. Besides, that t shirt makes no sense.

I'm really surprised that no one mentioned Duke's mayonnaise. I read some southern authors, and it seems like they are always talking about Duke's mayonnaise. I never had Duke's growing up in the Midwest, so I'm not sure what is different and special about it.

2 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I'm really surprised that no one mentioned Duke's mayonnaise. I read some southern authors, and it seems like they are always talking about Duke's mayonnaise. I never had Duke's growing up in the Midwest, so I'm not sure what is different and special about it.

I have decided the forgive your BLASPHEMY sis!! 

(I send Dukes to a Carolina girl living in Colorado!)

Do the other Cross Church people know that Derick and Jill are on the trip? They look like a group, but Derick and Jill look like they are photobombing all the pictures. 

9 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

It’s good and I buy it, but I don’t have a good answer. It’s rich and tangy, but that’s true of all mayo.

14 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

It looks like Sammy is wearing a Row vs Wade t shirt. Seriously? Jill was going to abort him, but Jesus stepped in and showed her the error of her ways? The Duggars have a right not to believe in abortion. They don't have the right to stop others from doing something which is legal. Besides, that t shirt makes no sense.

Hey now, we can't disregard the possibility that they think Row vs. Wade made it so doctors can just come to your house and give you an abortion.

24 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

It looks like Sammy is wearing a Row vs Wade t shirt. Seriously? Jill was going to abort him, but Jesus stepped in and showed her the error of her ways? The Duggars have a Seriously, the point of these t-shirts is what? Where any of the people who wear these ever in danger of being aborted? 

The point of these t-shirts is what? Where any of the Duggars in any serious danger of being aborted? Are their gangs of doctors roaming the streets kidnapping women and forcing them to have abortions? By all means, be pro-life, but unless you REALLY survived being aborted, then you didn't survive being aborted. 

Scotland calling. Had to google 'Peeps' to find out what the heck was being discussed here. Bloody hell. And I come from the land of deep fried Mars bars (Cadbury's creme eggs if we're feeling spiritual for Easter) :my_angel:

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

They are matching in blue, David & Pris style. Jill did everything she could to alienate herself from other fellow ministry women single students.

I feel bad for Jill because she doesn't seem to get on with anyone else other than Derick and locals. I can tell she must have been miserable on this trip.

Why does Derick put her through this?

I really don't think Derick puts her through it I think she begs to go on these trips with him.  she wants to be the perfect fundy missionary wife even if she really isn't good at it. she's wanted that since she was a teen. 

41 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

You read my mind---exactly.  What the actual fuck does that shirt mean, especially on Sam?!  Honest to Rufus--how was he ever in danger of being aborted?  The legal system had an appointment all ready for Jill at Planned Parenthood, but at the last minute she was blessed?

3 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I really don't think Derick puts her through it I think she begs to go on these trips with him.  she wants to be the perfect fundy missionary wife even if she really isn't good at it. she's wanted that since she was a teen. 

I do as well. I think Jill desperately WANTS to be the world traveling missionary, she isn't capable of being a world traveling missionary, because she won't disengage from her idiotic small minded life. She's scared to leave her family because her father beat in to them (literally & figuratively) that HE is their path to God on earth and you MUST obey HIM & ONLY him. They've created 19 kids who can't function in society because they were not give the ability to do so. The only reason Jinger is doing so well is because Jeremy lives in the real world and is telling her what to do. Joy & Austin will be okay(ish) because Austin's father instilled a work ethic in him that he must work hard to provide for his family as that is his role on earth.  They may never be rich, but they'll be happy and that is really all that matters. The rest of the kids are still depending on daddy's good graces.

18 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

You read my mind---exactly.  What the actual fuck does that shirt mean, especially on Sam?!  Honest to Rufus--how was he ever in danger of being aborted?  The legal system had an appointment all ready for Jill at Planned Parenthood, but at the last minute she was blessed?

Yeah! Whenever I see one of these people with a "I survived Roe vs. Wade" shirts, I'm like, it seems like they're saying "My mom would have aborted me, but Jesus said she couldn't."

2 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

I almost feel like contacting Cross Church to tell them how offended I am when I see this picture. They are mocking Catholics! 

I grew up Catholic, but have been atheist for about 30 years now.  And yet, seeing that photo, knowing what it meant, actually made tears come to my eyes.  I know that the Catholic Church, as any religion, is far from perfect, but I also know that there are many, many Catholics who do very good things because of their faith---including my parents.  I hate that "missionaries" are picking on these people, especially when their time could be so much better spent doing things that Jesus might find more pleasing, such as tending to the sick and feeding the hungry.

I suppose that I lack a basic understanding of missionaries like this who believe that a conversion to their faith is truly the most important thing--the first step to salvation.  I guess they truly believe that they are helping. 

1 hour ago, Kleine Vampirin said:

Scotland calling. Had to google 'Peeps' to find out what the heck was being discussed here. Bloody hell. And I come from the land of deep fried Mars bars (Cadbury's creme eggs if we're feeling spiritual for Easter) :my_angel:

I love Cadbury creme eggs. No surprise i guess!!

What if these young people put their time, energy and money into helping the homeless in their community? Silly me. What am I thinking?

36 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

What if these young people put their time, energy and money into helping the homeless in their community? Silly me. What am I thinking?

Given that these are the sort of people who tip in Biblical tracts disguised as dollar bills, I think their idea of helping the homeless would be distributing Bibles and telling them to “get a job.”

I swear, I haven’t been a Catholic for about 17 years or so and those pictures still piss me off. I have many problems with the Catholic Church and I don’t think I’ll ever be reconciled with it. But many Catholics, including my family members, are hardworking and good people who don’t deserve to be harassed or have their beliefs belittled by a bunch of entitled little white assholes. 

it looks like jill has 907 likes or emotions on her picture and 204 shares. which puts her second behind the kids in the barn it looks like. I wonder if angry faces count for her end total. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived