IGNORED

Seewalds 30: No new baby, but with more recipe thread-drift

samurai_sarah

My boyfriend is vegetarian and a recovering picky eater.  While I'll eat almost anything, I fast from meat for about half the year for religious reasons, so it's usually not too big of an issue.  Sometimes, though, I want to take advantage of actually being able to eat meat.  For example, today is the last day I can eat meat until Easter and I insisted that we go out for brunch after church instead of staying in so I could have one last eggs benedict. We have plenty of Sundays between now and then to have our usual scrambled eggs and cinnamon rolls.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the past few years, I have been pretty much vegetarian. For over a year, I have been trying to go vegan, I've slipped up a couple of times.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but food prices have gone up. It really expensive to go vegan...but I try. I hope to cook more vegan meals when things settle down. I'm not a good cook when I'm stressed and overwhelmed, so I haven't tried to cook much vegan meals lately. I am looking forward to getting back to it.

I'm a carnivore all the way, but when I do meatless meals, they're vegan by default because I don't really eat much dairy and don't bother to buy it unless I'm making something that requires it (which isn't often - most of my meat dishes have no dairy in them). This will definitely make things easier when my vegan cousin comes to town. 

Also, on the topic of veganism/vegetarianism: I'm not either of them, so I guess I don't have much say in all of this, but I loathe things like Tufurkey, "vegan cheese", etc. It's like non-alcoholic beer. If you're going to abstain from something, fully abstain from it instead of putting forth a conspicuous and obviously inferior substitute. There are plenty of marvelous vegan/tofu dishes you can make for Thanksgiving that don't require a sad likeness of a turkey. There are fabulous fully vegan Italian dishes that don't require fake cheese. There are some awesome mocktails you can make if you're not drinking alcohol. 

7 hours ago, JillyO said:

I'm going to offer a likely unpopular opinion here and say that I don't understand taking dietary supplements (such as multivitamins) unless there is a medical indication or you can't get something naturally (like, you can't get B12 from a vegan diet, so of course you have to supplement). It baffles me that this is so incredibly common in America. You actually can overdose on some of those supplements, so it's not just a "can't hurt, and it may help" kind of situation.

ETA: Here's some information just from a quick Google search: https://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/articles/2012/02/24/popular-but-dangerous-3-vitamins-that-can-hurt-you.

I don't get it either. My Mom takes a handful of vitamins every day. She eats a healthy balanced diet, so I don't know why she thinks she needs them. And they're expensive! I take what my doctor recommends for me. I'm vitamin D deficient ( no surprise living in the Great White North), and planning on having a baby soon, so I take prenatals. I will be happy when I'm done with having children so I can quit the prenatals. I will probably always need supplemental vitamin D, but I have blood tests to monitor my levels, I don't just take it willy nilly.

I'm not into fake meats but I like my daiya cheese. :pb_lol: I never liked meat anyway so I don't often eat meat substitutes, but I think it's totally understandable that people who do like meat but choose not to eat it might miss it and want something similar. Same for non-alcoholic beer and wine; I personally hate the taste of both and so the non-alcoholic versions sound awful, but if someone actually does like them but doesn't want the alcohol, then why not?

my husband takes special vitamins, similar to what a gastric bypass patient would take. The reconstruction of his digestive tract was like a gastric bypass, only with more of the stomach left. As a result of that, he has problems with absorbing certain fat soluble vitamins, so he takes a special formulation that he can absorb. He also takes a vitamin D supplement. He is monitored every 3 months with blood work and urinalysis. But then again, when you're missing your pancreas, gall bladder, 10 inches of small intestine, other bits and pieces of organs and are a brittle diabetic to boot (he's also just started on an insulin pump), well...you do what you have to do, take what you have to take to attempt to stay healthy (relatively speaking). 

I take melatonin and Valerian root for sleeping. The damn pain management docs won't give me decent pain relief so those things knock me out. 

I can't eat vegetables unless their pureed or basically blended very, very thin. My stomach can't break them down if its in any other form. Same with whole wheat and multi grain. It took five years to figure out that was the cause. My stomach can't break them down and since it can't go done the only way out is up. I'll throw up every morning until every last bit is gone. Before figuring out that was the problem I'd throw up anywhere from a week to two months.    My doctor after he diagnosis me 'you know everything you've been told all your life about eating healthy? Do the opposite.  I also can't have any breaded chicken or fruit except bananas or if its in yogurt, pureed or juice form. The hard part is really the whole wheat and multi grain since is so popular now grocery stores and restaurants are putting it into a lot of their foods it can be hard at times to find food. There are times at the grocery store when the only bread available is whole wheat or multi grain. The good part so many brands and restaurants do put their menus and ingredients online so I can look them up. I won't lie and say I don't miss certain foods. Some times I'd love a Caesar salad, cherry pie, chicken tenders or broccoli in normal form. But the thought of throwing up for a week or two is enough to make sure I never cheat. My last mess up was a cup of macaroni and cheese a few years ago one cup that I didn't check until afterwards the noodles were whole wheat. I threw up for a week.  

I start fasting on Wednesday for religious reasons. It will be a "soft" fast for us. We will have meat from the freezer but not buy any new meat. We will try to bake rather than buy bread. We will eat mostly vegetarian but the meat in the freezer will be enough for about 2 meals a week of meat. We choose to eat them when it suits us and usually we are more likely to eat vegetarian on Sunday instead since I have plenty of time to cook then and it is therefore a good day to make something that we can eat during a couple of days rather than just one and often meat dishes only last us one meal. I will also try to cut down on candy and screen time but I will not make any definite promises about that though...

That's right Lent starts Wednesday. Means heading to the Polish bakery across town for paczki before the mad rush tomorrow. Yum!!

I don't know If we will fast this year, but we did it a couple of years in a row. Mostly we did not drink alcohol and not eat chocolate. But one year I wanted to fast on meat and alcohol  while Mr. S. wanted to fast on alcohol and chocolate. Result: we both gave up after three weeks, I think we found it difficult to share a meal together ( nowadays it would work because we gained more confidence in vegetarian and vegan  cooking). And it was even more difficult to see the other one eating what you have to stay away from. It is easier for us if we both have to abstain from the same sort of food. 

I'm severely Vitamin D deficient and take 20k IU of Vit D a day per doctors orders, I'm also Potassium deficient and take a prescribed potassium pill, I also take a B12 in the morning (most mornings) for a better energy boost than caffeine. My dr obviously knows and is OK with it. The key to taking vitamins is taking them with food for better absorption, so I take them with my breakfast. 

I am also Vitamin D deficient, so vitamin D is on my list of things to take! I don't mind it and it definitely helps me feel more like myself in the dark of winter. 

Putting this here because the site is being wonky and won't let me into the "Duggars by the Dozen 32" thread - AND because Jessa is the biggest Instagram "stories" user whose posts are copied here:

Instagram is rolling out a new feature that will show the Instagram account holder WHEN and WHO takes a screenshot from an Instagram story. Just FYI, in case those of you who screenshot these things don't want it "out there."

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/11/instagram-is-testing-screenshot-alerts-for-stories/  

10 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Damn you Instagram, making it harder for creepers to creep! :pb_lol:

Hahah I'll creep anyway! I figure that there are enough people on instagram stealing Jessa's story that she will hardly notice! :P

I take multivitamins because otherwise I feel really lethargic and achy. That being said, I struggle to eat more than 1,600-1,800 calories a day (I'm suppose to be eating closer to 2,600 as instructed by a medical professional). 

I'm trying to get better at eating breakfast + snacks during the day. Only recently have I started to eat lunch regularly. I always eat a nice big dinner. Eating before 11am makes me feel kind of nauseous, regardless of how much I eat.

I have to take Vitamin D and B-12 because I’m deficient in both otherwise. With Vitamin D it’s likely just because I live in North America, but my stomach literally can’t break down B-12 properly on its own. I was deficient for years and, thankfully, the sublingual tablets have done miracles for my levels. I suspect there’s a link between that and my thyroid issues, so it’ll be interesting to see if my Endocrinologist agrees when I see her for the first time next month. I’m also taking a multivitamin and a Fish oil pill each day on Doctor’s orders as well, along with my birth control and Claritin (every so often - year round allergies are fun.)

That said, I don’t understand why people would take vitamins if they don’t need them for a medical reason. I think it’s a kind of a pain in the ass having to take a bunch of pills every morning.* If I didn’t need to take them I’d be a very happy person. 

*First world problem right here. 

Since we're talking about food, I'm supposed to start an elimination diet soon and...I don't want to. I feel like it's going to be really hard.  I know that sounds lame, but I eat bad enough as it is (what with trying to make sure my kids get the good stuff, living in the North where everything = $$$$, and just being under a lot of stress), and to suddenly be like...okay no we can't have any of that for the next two weeks seems really--intimidating, I guess.  So I'm putting it off until I can figure out how to plan for it to be successful.  Anyone have ideas/tips? Even no-brainer ones?

@LilMissMetaphor - I did a Whole30 - which is the ultimate "elimination" diet. And it truly changed my life. It's when my gluten issues were uncovered, along with dairy. It's really hard when you're used to eating everything, but when you do stuff your body with ONLY good/whole/real food, you'll begin to feel really GOOD.  I mean.... GOOD. I was sleeping well, felt energetic, no "digestive issues" at all, clear skin, clear head/brain.

I know that my body doesn't like dairy, but I do like a little cheese now (but a half-pound block of cheese will now last me a month). I eat very little in the way of wheat (and what I do eat isn't produced in the USA) with no problems.

If you want it to be successful, you have to remember that you're giving your body what it needs, not what it wants.

Edit:  I also lost 15 pounds and have kept it off.

I did a Whole30 as well.  I actually found it much easier to do than I thought I would.  I would take the advice from the Whole 30 book and plan out your meals well before you get started, and do as much food prep before hand.  I found I had to do a lot more cooking during the 30 days.  There are lots of resources on Pinterest or the web generally, but I also found Melissa Jouwan's website - Well Fed - really helpful as far as food prep goes.

Like @SapphireSlytherin, I was really amazed at the differences I felt pretty quickly, within 10 days my asthma was much better, and my knees didn't ache as much (I have moderate to severe arthritis in my right knee).  Unfortunately I didn't do the reintroduction properly, so I want to do another 30 days and then do that part right, I'm sure dairy and gluten are no goes for me.

The biggest issue I had with it was realizing that sugar is in everything!  Even sausage and bacon were off the table 'cause most have added sugar.  

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

I did a Whole30 as well.  I actually found it much easier to do than I thought I would.  I would take the advice from the Whole 30 book and plan out your meals well before you get started, and do as much food prep before hand.  I found I had to do a lot more cooking during the 30 days.  There are lots of resources on Pinterest or the web generally, but I also found Melissa Jouwan's website - Well Fed - really helpful as far as food prep goes.

Like @SapphireSlytherin, I was really amazed at the differences I felt pretty quickly, within 10 days my asthma was much better, and my knees didn't ache as much (I have moderate to severe arthritis in my right knee).  Unfortunately I didn't do the reintroduction properly, so I want to do another 30 days and then do that part right, I'm sure dairy and gluten are no goes for me.

The biggest issue I had with it was realizing that sugar is in everything!  Even sausage and bacon were off the table 'cause most have added sugar.  

Don't forget about the soy being in everything too!

3 minutes ago, karen77 said:

Don't forget about the soy being in everything too!

Soy is in a LOT of processed foods. Whole 30 doesn't allow any processed crap, so... I did miss soy sauce. lol

I'm sure the duggars tumblr will share all screenshots. That's where I go so I don't have to give TLC clicks. It's run by a few leghumpers.

I was with a vegetarian once who was an enormously picky eater. No meat, no tomato sauce, no eggs, we didn't like most of the same vegetables, and I can't stand tofu (I've had it many ways, I just hate it). I had to get incredibly creative at dinner, because he couldn't cook. Oh man. I missed making chicken parmesan.

If you know what  you're doing, I have no qualms about feeding your kid a vegetarian/vegan diet. I've known vegans who monitor all the nutrients they eat, I've known vegans who live off of french fries and imitation cheese pizza. It's only when you try to feed your cat vegan that I have a problem :P

I do like the birthday message to Henry, simply because it's about him, and has no mention of Jesus. I wonder if the messages will get more religious as they get older, because they'll be more than just adorable squishballs. They'll be able to understand religion more, and vocalize, and be indoctrinated into horrible beliefs... but for now, it's looking like a much more personal and appropriate birthday message for a kid than Michelle and JimBob have ever written.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived