IGNORED

Seewalds 30: No new baby, but with more recipe thread-drift

samurai_sarah

47 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

They did, but you could get a dispensation.

And did, then used the reason of consanguinity to get in annulled later on. See Eleanor of Aquitaine and Louis VI of France for example! 

Henry the 8th probably would have gotten an annulment from Catherine of Aragon, if it wasn't for her super powerful nephew. :P 

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

And did, then used the reason of consanguinity to get in annulled later on. See Eleanor of Aquitaine and Louis VI of France for example! 

Henry the 8th probably would have gotten an annulment from Catherine of Aragon, if it wasn't for her super powerful nephew. :P 

Yeah, that dang Charles really cut Henry off at the knees with that, gosh darn him straight to heck.

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Observe: Henry as a small boy

Henry-VIII-Guido-Mazzoni.jpg

Prince George:

prince-george-1-2000.jpg

Am I the only one sees the resemblance?

I’ve been saying this for YEARS. I have high hopes for this child.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I’ve been saying this for YEARS. I have high hopes for this child.

I sincerely hope you have Higher hopes for George than growing  up to be an obese diseased tyrannical wife murderer ;)

15 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I sincerely hope you have Higher hopes for George than growing  up to be an obese diseased tyrannical wife murderer ;)

Off with their heads!

Funny-Pictures-Prince-George-Princess-Charlotte.jpg

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Yeah, if only Henry asked for the divorce before Charles sacked Rome.  I do love how Henry was surprised by the no. Ah, Henry, the Pope was basically his prisoner, his city was sacked and he was surrounded by Charles's army. What part of that situation suggested a yes was an option?    

32 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Yeah, if only Henry asked for the divorce before Charles sacked Rome.  I do love how Henry was surprised by the no. Ah, Henry, the Pope was basically his prisoner, his city was sacked and he was surrounded by Charles's army. What part of that situation suggested a yes was an option?    

I had my mother over the other day to watch Anne of the Thousand Days. She had never seen it before. I found myself explaining this situation with almost your exact words. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Off with their heads!

Funny-Pictures-Prince-George-Princess-Charlotte.jpg

That photo really reminded me of @Carm_88‘s avatar... different hairdo, but similar expression.

10 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

In Henry's mind? The part where he asked! Henry was quite in love with himself. 

53 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

In Henry's mind? The part where he asked! Henry was quite in love with himself. 

I think that Henry never even thought about the idea that someone could say no to him. After all he was King Henry and how could anyone say no to someone’s s wonderful and powerful as he was? Sort of reminds me of a modern day Donald Trump. 

2 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I think that Henry never even thought about the idea that someone could say no to him. After all he was King Henry and how could anyone say no to someone’s s wonderful and powerful as he was? Sort of reminds me of a modern day Donald Trump. 

Don't forget he was also the handsomest prince in Christendom, and defender of the faith.  He was just all that and a sack of beans!

When he was younger, he was athletic, musically inclined, and quite the    writer, right? The total package!

Back in his youth, Henry really would have been someone admirable. It wasn't until after the death of Anne that his temper really got the best of him, and his weight began to balloon. During his marriage to Anne he was still overweight, but he wasn't THAT obese. 

I honestly think her death broke his heart and his health declined ever since. 

Yup. The Ideal renaissance God fearing Prince and King who could Dance, Play Instuments , Joust and would surely sure many strong handsome  Princes with a daughter or two thrown in to be a powerful bargaining chip on Royal Marriage market.

And God just Laughed and Laughed...

1 hour ago, viii said:

I think it was partly her death but really the death of Henry's ideal life. I think he felt betrayed because he gave up everything or Anne and didn't get the son or the marriage that he wanted. Henry was in love with being in love, but he was also quite fickle. 

Yes, I definitely believe that he genuinely thought he was doing the right thing, and God would honour him once he married Anne and bless him with the heirs he needed. 

5 hours ago, viii said:

Yes, I definitely believe that he genuinely thought he was doing the right thing, and God would honour him once he married Anne and bless him with the heirs he needed. 

Dear Henry,

No.

Love, 

God

Henry-Forget that I'll behead Anne and marry Jane. She'll give me a son!

Dear Henry,

The Lord Giveth and the Lord Take it away. God Bless Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. Enjoy Hell.

Love 

God

PS Just so it hurts even more God Bless King James!

7 hours ago, viii said:

Back in his youth, Henry really would have been someone admirable. It wasn't until after the death of Anne that his temper really got the best of him, and his weight began to balloon. During his marriage to Anne he was still overweight, but he wasn't THAT obese. 

There was also the jousting accident in January 1536 (the one that led to Anne to miscarry the male fetus). In addition to the leg wound that plagued him for the rest of his life, he also took a blow to the head and was unconscious for two hours. There is some speculation that his personality change was due to a brain injury and/or the chronic pain from his leg.

Henry obviously had a lot of pride wound up in not letting the Tudor dynasty die out with him, but he also didn't want to be the king who went down in history for letting the realm descend into chaos and civil war again because he couldn't produce an heir. Recent history would have taught him that if he died without a son, rival claimants would rise up, quickly gain a backing, and his daughters, his bastard son, other family members, and close friends/loyal servants would all be in mortal danger - not to mention the risk of invasion from a foreign Catholic enemy. Of course that doesn't remotely excuse his barbarous behaviour, but there was a lot more to it than proving he could make male babies.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Henry obviously had a lot of pride wound up in not letting the Tudor dynasty die out with him, but he also didn't want to be the king who went down in history for letting the realm descend into chaos and civil war again because he couldn't produce an heir. Recent history would have taught him that if he died without a son, rival claimants would rise up, quickly gain a backing, and his daughters, his bastard son, other family members, and close friends/loyal servants would all be in mortal danger - not to mention the risk of invasion from a foreign Catholic enemy. Of course that doesn't remotely excuse his barbarous behaviour, but there was a lot more to it than proving he could make male babies.

True and it doesn't excuse what he did. He also could have married Mary off and attempted to produce heirs that way in addition to his own quest for a male heir. He chose not to do that. In the end he had no choice but to add his daughters into the succession because there was no one else. Mary was thirty-one when he died who knows how many sons she could have had by that point.  One or two could have been half grown by that point if she was married off at fifteen or sixteen.

I do think that Henry thought that he was being punished for marrying Catherine in the beginning. That's why that there were no sons, despite having one with Bessie Blount. I think with Anne, he may have thought that he was being punished for leaving the church. Who knows what he thought after that? 

Female heirs did not work and the suspicion that Philip of Spain received (well received in my opinion) proved that England was iffy about non-English kings.

Since this drift started, I've been binge watching docu-series on YouTube.  Dr Suzannah Lipscomb's Hidden Killers in the Home series, and her collab with Dan Jones, Henry VIII and his Six Wives.  As well as Timeline Documentaries about Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I.

Though I also watch and re-watch Dan Jones Secrets of British Castles every time I can't decide what to watch on Netflix.  So maybe it's not your fault after all... 

25 minutes ago, Nargus said:

Since this drift started, I've been binge watching docu-series on YouTube.  Dr Suzannah Lipscomb's Hidden Killers in the Home series, and her collab with Dan Jones, Henry VIII and his Six Wives.  As well as Timeline Documentaries about Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I.

Though I also watch and re-watch Dan Jones Secrets of British Castles every time I can't decide what to watch on Netflix.  So maybe it's not your fault after all... 

I LOVE Suzannah Lipscomb and the Hidden Killers series. It fascinates me that Victorian and Edwardian women were slowly being poisoned by everything in their lives, from make-up to wallpaper. And of course they felt better when they traveled off to take the cure and felt tons better, because they weren't surrounded by lead, only to return and become sick again from poisoning. 

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived